PDA

View Full Version : Canada>Central->EGL Spring 2023 Backcountry Canoeing

Chard
03-06-2023, 16:02
https://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/5/2/6/idiot.jpg

EGL Spring 2023 Backcountry Canoeing

Hi all,

I just wanted to kick off planning for canoeing this spring. Personally, I'd like to be able to throw in a line and perhaps catch a few trout. My first thoughts would be coming in at either Rain, Tim or Magnetewan and hitting the lakes and creeks of the area. I think there's still a mid-May backcountry opening, but that might change.

Anyone interested?

KeeWayKeno
03-06-2023, 17:49
I'd suggested water taxi to the lakes north of Opeongo ... but anything sounds great so I'm in. How could anyone resist that picture of the cute kid?

Whet Newdell is up at the Yurt, snowshoed in with neighbour Jack. Said the ice up that way is 47 cm. thick. Surprised given how mild it's been (i.e. even the Rideau was too thin to open their skateway). Still, hoping for an earlier ice-out this year!

Sent from my SM-A536E using Tapatalk

Bubba
03-06-2023, 18:37
I wouldn’t mind staying on Rain Lake again. As an aside it’s close to the Western Uplands trail I did back in the 90’s.

Cruiser51
03-06-2023, 19:28
All I can say at this point is "Hell YES"

Brian

Lofty
03-07-2023, 09:55
I like the idea of rain lake access. It's nice that way.

Can we lock down a weekend?
I was thinking May 13/14 would be good..... but the 14 is mother's day

Wondering if May 6/7 is too early with ice out.

Sent from my Pixel 5 using Tapatalk

LuvmyBonnet
03-07-2023, 14:30
I'm in as long as it's not Mother's Day weekend!

Chard
03-07-2023, 19:28
I wish we could book the May 6/7 weekend but I don't know if the ice'll be out and the Park will be issuing permits.

The May 20/21 Victoria Day long weekend will almost certainly be crowded and the season would be getting a little late for spring trout.

I personally don't have a problem doing the Mother's Day (13/14) weekend, my wife technically isn't my mother and my actual mother doesn't care one bit. As long as I bring my wife back a fish she'll be happy. Besides I can Garmin a message to them if I wanted to.

If some of us headed in on the 13/14th and stayed well into the following week then would that work? Kind of like a reverse marshmallow! Rain's a nice choice; it's trouty waters all the way to Misty.

---

We've talked about the water taxi up Opeongo, but the lakes in that area are medium-large and it would be an ice-out trip. I was thinking of Opeongo for an epic summer/fall trip.

Feedback?

76 highboy
03-07-2023, 19:53
The ice will be out by the 6th. No problem.
Well thats my theory. The earlier the trip the better.
Hate bugs with a passion.!

keg
03-07-2023, 20:30
Baring natural disasters or another pandemic, I'm good for the 6th, probably for the 13th, unlikely for the long weekend.

Is Misty too far? How about something in the Farm Lake area?

KeeWayKeno
03-07-2023, 21:06
I'll be good for any of the above, with a preference for earlier if only to minimize the chance of bugs.

Lofty
03-07-2023, 22:38
I'm liking the weekend of May 6.

Are we stuck on Algonquin? Because, If we choose that weekend we can't reserve till ice out.
Could something like Niger lake be a backup? Or perhaps book another park - Killarney [emoji16]

theyland
03-08-2023, 06:34
I'm liking the weekend of May 6.

Are we stuck on Algonquin? Because, If we choose that weekend we can't reserve till ice out.
Could something like Niger lake be a backup? Or perhaps book another park - Killarney [emoji16]

If we’re considering other destinations, what about Island Lake? I don’t know about the fishing, you’d have to ask KeewayKeeno but there’s plenty of little lakes to explore and I suspect the parking lot won’t be very busy at that time of year. Each vehicle needs a $40 parking permit which can be ordered online, or picked up from municipal office M-F and is valid for the entire year so you can go back later in the season at no extra cost. It’s about 5 hours of travel from parking lot to island lake and I don’t recall any long portages.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Brantwing
03-08-2023, 06:48
Just checked with the social director and I am good for either weekend and some additional days. In the past if you book too early and they don’t open up, you can’t get the same booking for a later week.
Open for anything.

born2pdl
03-08-2023, 08:10

Hi all,

I just wanted to kick off planning for conoeing this spring. Personally, I'd like to be able to throw in a line and perhaps catch a few trout. My first thoughts would be coming in at either Rain, Tim or Magnetewan and hitting the lakes and creeks of the area. I think there's still a mid-May backcountry opening, but that might change.

Anyone interested?

dam that is a great pic!
i'm hoping to be ready in May and Rain would be fine.

JimLafleur
03-08-2023, 23:01
Thanks for pointing me here Chard. I've been debating an ice-out trip out of Tim to Rosebary. Mostly booked up opening weekend in that area, but fingers crossed for early ice-out.

Lofty
03-09-2023, 08:30
So who's up for May 6 weekend ?

I can't do mother's day weekend and need to book time off this week.

We can do Algonquin Rain lake ( pending ice out ) as our first choice. Just need to watch Algonquin and book once ice out is announced.
As a backup - Island lake or something.

Dale
03-09-2023, 09:12
May 5 - 10th would mesh best with my job!! Edited to add my vote to Rain Lake Access.

Dale

KeeWayKeno
03-09-2023, 10:03
So who's up for May 6 weekend ?

I can't do mother's day weekend and need to book time off this week.

We can do Algonquin Rain lake ( pending ice out ) as our first choice.

Sounds good to me. Pretty confident we'll see an early ice-out this year.

Chard
03-09-2023, 13:29
I just got off the phone with the Algonquin Park office and was told that they won't be issuing permits until May 11, although that could change depending on when ice out happens. She also said that the ice is looking like it might go out earlier and that I should keep checking.

So... Do we tentatively plan/book a backup location for the weekend of the 6/7 and hope Algonquin thaws in time or do we push out the date.

What the hell, let's go with the 6/7+ weekend and cross whatever bridges we need to cross to get out and do a bit of padding. Hope for the Park, but be grateful for any puddle we can wet our paddles in.

ggreaves
03-09-2023, 14:03

Hi all,

I just wanted to kick off planning for canoeing this spring. Personally, I'd like to be able to throw in a line and perhaps catch a few trout. My first thoughts would be coming in at either Rain, Tim or Magnetewan and hitting the lakes and creeks of the area. I think there's still a mid-May backcountry opening, but that might change.

Anyone interested?

I like the can of Laphroaig in the background

Bubba
03-09-2023, 14:59
I’m good with the 6th and Rain lake. I’d like to stay on Rain in the spirit of the Marshmallow. Rain lake could be the end or the beginning of a longer trip others might be interested in doing.

Lofty
03-09-2023, 16:38
I'm in for May 6 weekend- wherever we end up paddling.

Now for some sunshine to melt the ice !

Chard
03-09-2023, 19:47
I like the can of Laphroaig in the background

LOL.

I think it was another decade before I ventured into the wonderful world of the single malt. That's a can of Coleman fuel, unless, of course, you're one of those people who feel that the taste of Laphroaig is little better than stove fuel.

OotN'Aboot
03-12-2023, 19:41
I’m good for the 13th.

theyland
03-13-2023, 05:24
I’m in for the 6/7. I’ll probably go in on Friday May 5 and leave on Monday May 8

Chard
03-13-2023, 11:11
I’m in for the 6/7. I’ll probably go in on Friday May 5 and leave on Monday May 8

Just bear in mind that we're not even sure Algonquin's backcountry permits will be available on the 6th/7th weekend, but if the 5th is open then some of us early birds will likely join you.

BigGreenMoose
03-15-2023, 20:24
I can make either weekend work!

Also, @giblets I have your black and yellow bin. I'll bring it to Valens on the weekend.

*Edited for date correction.

theyland
03-16-2023, 15:05
I can make either weekend work!

Also, @giblets I have your black and yellow bin. I'll bring it to Valens this weekend.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk

THIS weekend? Or did you mean March 25/26?

BigGreenMoose
03-16-2023, 19:14
THIS weekend? Or did you mean March 25/26?

I meant the 25/26th. I corrected myself. Thanks!

I'm waiting for my wife to come home and roll her eyes at me enjoying my annual spring viewing of Waterwalker. She can't stand Bill Mason's voice. [emoji23]

Bubba
03-18-2023, 10:21
I meant the 25/26th. I corrected myself. Thanks!

I'm waiting for my wife to come home and roll her eyes at me enjoying my annual spring viewing of Waterwalker. She can't stand Bill Mason's voice. [emoji23]

That’s one of my annual rituals too.:)

KeeWayKeno
04-05-2023, 18:27

Open water in the distance. Keep melting!!

LuvmyBonnet
04-07-2023, 10:31
Depending on how I'm feeling, Nueropathy has been giving me the business. I plan on doing just Rain Lake. Dates depend on opening day. Hoping on a Wednesday to Sunday or something like that.

I plan on making reservations if feeling well but not on weekend of 13/14th. Will be with Ma!

Chard
04-11-2023, 19:32
It feels like ice out is fast approaching. Kearney's going to have low 20ºC's for the rest of the week and Toronto's going up to 27ºC! So here's to hoping that the "Powers That Be" in Algonquin open the backcountry for the weekend of May 6th/7th.

As far as what we might want to do, I'd like to throw out the idea that we marshmallow on Rain for the weekend of the 6th/7th and then spend the next couple of days either doing a short loop or moving to a new basecamp and just chill/fish the days away. The trout lakes are generally north of Rain, so if we want to fish, one option could be Casey Lake, which is just NW of Rain and used to be a very good brookie lake. From there we could base camp on Casey or continue up through Daisy, down the Petewawa and Addison's Pond to Moccasin, with our last night somewhere (Sawyer?) along the way back to Rain.

But that's just a couple of ideas. I'd really like to hear what you guys think both in terms of how long you're planning on staying in the Park and on what activities/routes you'd like to try. I'm dusting off the old fly rod, so hopefully I'll manage to coax a brookie or two to the canoe.

We might also want to consider a couple of backup locations.

JimLafleur
04-11-2023, 20:20
I was in the Park yesterday. 2-3 feet of snow still in the bush and while slush on top of the lakes, it's still pretty solid under that slush. I think couple weeks min. Of course few warm windy days can change things quick.

Sent from my SM-G781W using Tapatalk

keg
04-12-2023, 12:18
I have two vacation days so I'll be doing either Friday to Monday or Saturday to Tuesday.

Lofty
04-13-2023, 06:07
I'm planning to go in Friday to Sunday - but may add a day to paddle in/out with others.

Looks like the weather is getting the ice to melt. But still lots of ice and snow to go.

theyland
04-14-2023, 05:24
I’m planning on going in Friday, out Monday. I’ll probably go straight to the lake just north of Rain Lake (can’t recall the name, there is a 1km+ portage to get to it). Hoping to meet up with the rest of you as I’ll be bringing my new fishing gear and I’d appreciate some tips. Newbie angler here.

For those of you coming in on Friday, let’s plan to paddle in together. Meet at launch at 11? On the water by noon?

KeeWayKeno
04-14-2023, 12:02
I'll be going for 4 nights. At this point seems Thursday - Monday most likely but waiting to see how things develop.

If I can squeeze out a 5th night, might adjust a day or two later. Like the idea of a couple of days on Rain then moving camp or vice versa if the ice allows. An "authoritative source" suggests optimal trouting is about a week after ice out!

Cruiser51
04-14-2023, 19:00
Was thinking the same time frame KWK, get in before the weekend rush ... I will likely stick with base camping for first time back ... if I did another loaded portage first time out, my wife would likely strangle me, lol

Brian

Dale
04-15-2023, 07:41
I’m shooting for the Friday to the Monday.

Dale

76 highboy
04-15-2023, 10:24
Most likely thurs to sunday.
Then off to some crown land to get my "wilderness" fix.

KeeWayKeno
04-18-2023, 11:47
Ice is going fast, likely clear within a week even with the punky weather.

I'm heading in Thursday (May 4th) base camping on Rain and day-tripping from there. A lazy winter has taken a toll on my fitness level. [emoji15] https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230418/8d13186792e570c632dd7379105c6d36.jpg

Dale
04-19-2023, 09:32
Just wondering what the procedure is for registration? I think I saw somewhere that bookings aren't being taken until after a certain date?

Dale

theyland
04-19-2023, 14:33
I think you just need to keep checking the parks Ontario reservation site each day to see if they’ve opened up Algonquin for backcountry yet.

Bubba
04-19-2023, 18:09

https://www.algonquinpark.on.ca/images_ice/images_ice/2023-04-19_18-38-29.jpg

There's been some brief discussion in the email thread as to whether we stay on Rain or Sawyer. I personally don't mind either but I lean to Sawyer simply because I have not camped on that lake. Those that are keen to stay on Rain wish to do so to avoid the portage as they are planning on bringing heavier gear, food and beverages. Chard mentioned that there would be a lot of hands to help move stuff over the short portage (310 metres) especially if beer is involved. Can't say I disagree. I am happy to help bring gear over the portage as I know everyone else would be. If staying on Rain, the short portage does mean that Sawyer is accessible for those that want to fish there for the possibility of brook trout. Or course we are all free to hang our own hang and we don't have to all camp together since as Chard pointed out years ago, our trips are really just a bunch of soloist going to the same site.

KeeWayKeno
04-19-2023, 18:11
Just wondering what the procedure is for registration? I think I saw somewhere that bookings aren't being taken until after a certain date?

DaleTheland is right ... currently you can reserve dates May 12 onwards but as soon as ice out is "official" (when Opeongo clears) they'll open up reservations early.

Keep checking, it is usually 2 or 3 days after Lake of Two Rivers... which cleared last night! Typically a bit of a rush for sites the first few weeks due to trout season opening.

Further to some off-forum chatter, Sawyer sounds like a great destination, I might push on to there too. The portage was short and easy & the site Whet Newdell & I had on the east shore, while not "epic", was gorgeous for a smaller group.

View of Sawyer Lake (from my hammock) for fun. That was August, might not look quite the same in May.
https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230419/edc103a91864a3c27f1ec08d6203610b.jpg

BoundryWaters
04-20-2023, 06:24
I can't commit just yet, but would probably make it a long weekend. Sawyer definitely sounds more appealing than camping on an entry point lake that allows motors. Guitar playing Myron is interested as well, so I'll keep him updated. Regarding Beers, Coolers and the Kitchen Sink - aren't there regulations that prohibits you from bringing glass, cans etc. anyway, or don't they apply for motorized, entry point type of lakes?

Oh and if I make it I'd be happy to assist others in portaging their gear. One 300m portage shouldn't really keep anyone from getting one lake further.

KeeWayKeno
04-20-2023, 07:01
Regarding Beers, Coolers and the Kitchen Sink - aren't there regulations that prohibits you from bringing glass, cans etc. anyway, or don't they apply for motorized, entry point type of lakes?

Beer decanted into plastic bottles & frozen revive amazingly well ... plus keep any meat fresh!

Brantwing
04-20-2023, 07:23
Discussing with Brian, we would like an early entry on Thursday, around 10am, to be set up early afternoon. Planning on out, Monday. Will likely be camping in a freind’s driveway near Huntsville, Wed night for a quick drive to the launch area.

Cruiser51
04-20-2023, 09:32
Had to discuss doing the portage with the better half, she agreed a short easy one is in scope for me (read that as I put her through hell with the last debacle, but she agreed I am ready for short one) .... thinking to triple carry just to ease into the process again and get used to the revised suspension.

Really looking forward to the trip.

Brian

BigGreenMoose
04-20-2023, 16:41
Peter and I will likely be coming in tandem on Friday through Monday.

Lofty
04-22-2023, 06:40
Just saw this on the Algonquin site ......

UPDATE: The ice out date for Lake of Two Rivers (shown below) occurred on April 20, 2023. On average, Lake of Two Rivers sheds its ice cover 3 days earlier than Lake Opeongo, Algonquin Park's largest lake, and the basis for declaring Algonquin Park's ice out.

Woo hoo [emoji322]

LuvmyBonnet
04-23-2023, 15:18
Sadness! Hopefully my info is wrong but I called reservations and apperantly they started taking reservations on Friday the 21st and are sold out for Rain Lake for May and June!!!! :crying

Chard
04-23-2023, 15:33
Sadness! Hopefully my info is wrong but I called reservations and apperantly they started taking reservations on Friday the 21st and are sold out for Rain Lake for May and June!!!! :crying
Strange. I read your post so I thought I'd call Ontario Parks myself. Algonquin Backcountry sites are still unreservable until May 12th, but they thought that they were on a first come/first serve basis. I'm wondering if you're talking about the 5 drive to sites at the Rain Lake access. I'll call the Park tomorrow morning to get further info.

From the Ministry's Algonquin Park alert page:

Until backcountry camping is open you cannot make backcountry reservations and there are no first-come, first-served campsites. This applies to both backpacking and paddling.Updates will be posted on our social media channels and here on our alerts page

LuvmyBonnet
04-23-2023, 15:42
Fingers crossed!

LuvmyBonnet
04-24-2023, 11:57
So, the info I got the first time was WRONG!!! The haven't started reserving before May 12th until Ice Out. No other info so I'm going to keep calling every day. I don't want to miss out on getting a site on Rain!

Bubba
04-24-2023, 18:59
FYI. Just called the reservation number and there was no new info about ice out or booking availability prior to the stated May 12 opening date. They just said to check back regularly to find out about changes.
Also, for those interested in Sawyer Lake, a couple of posts I saw online said the site on the NE of the lake beside the portage to Jubilee is the best one. As for Rain lake, the island site on the west side we stayed at the last time was nice. I think I will stay on Sawyer and visit those who wish to stay on Rain.

theyland
04-25-2023, 05:31
I’m assuming this will be cleared up soon but the Ontario parks site still says “Rain Lake Access Point: inaccessible due to snow on the road”.

KeeWayKeno
04-25-2023, 18:47
Bookings are available. Just snagged 4 nights on Sawyer (Thursday - Monday)

Chard
04-25-2023, 20:25
Just snagged 5 nights on Sawyer (Thursday - Tuesday)

BigGreenMoose
04-26-2023, 12:20
Looks like we have enough sites covered for 54+ campers! [emoji12]

If anyone is interested in joining but can't get a dedicated site, just post here and you could get added to one of the existing reservations. There's plenty of room!

Seems like we will have every site on Sawyer, as well as few bookings on both Rain and Jubilee from Thursday thru Monday/Tuesday.

Most reading this are familiar with Algonquin backcountry bookings, but for any newbies, a summary is below.

There are nine people max per site.

One parked car is included with each reservation. Additional people can get added on to a permit at $11 per night per person plus $12.50 per night per added car. Not sure if they are charging a change fee just to add people, but the reservation holders can coordinate with you.

Eventually Parks management staff will figure out sensible backcountry parking charges so we don't end up overbooking sites. Until then, the added car charges are usually the limiting factor so carpooling is best if possible, but then you're limited on roof rack space for two canoes. Like water filters, axes, saws, and cook pots, the EGL gang likes to roll up on sites with one boat per person. [emoji6] One day, Chard will convince us otherwise.

Looks like we'll have a good turn out for this one. If you're interested in joining, this route is not a difficult one, and only the guy from Grand Isle is an internet serial killer!

P.s. The 2400m portage to Ink Lake this time last year still gives me night terrors. Luckily we only lost one member of the expedition on that trip. Welcome back Cruiser!

LuvmyBonnet
04-26-2023, 13:19
Since I'm heading in on Wednesday, I'll hopefully grab the island on Rain that we stayed at last time.

Bubba
04-30-2023, 06:47
Hello all. There’s a special weather statement for Kearney for heavy rains through Monday. It may help with snow but at the same time it may keep the road inaccessible. I decided to take the hit and book a site on Pen as well. Didn’t see any warnings regarding Rock Lake access point. There are a lot of sites on Pen so I don’t think it would be a problem changing our collective reservations if worse comes to worst but I thought it wouldn’t hurt to add to Rob’s. Any thoughts going forward?

Cruiser51
04-30-2023, 07:49
Last time I was early into the Rain lake access, there was a beaver dam, on the right a ways in, that overflows the road. Splashing was exciting, but the road was fine

Brian

KeeWayKeno
04-30-2023, 07:58
I've been swapping intel with another guy also going in this week & checking with the two outfitters in Kearney.

The latest as of yesterday was that road to Rain was the only one in the area still inaccessible ... however ... a woman reported she was able to drive all the way to the access point. See her message below. Not particularly encouraging but not a "no way, no how" either.

On the brighter side, somebody else did say they ran into graders already working in the area (though not on our access road).

I'm not averse to swapping to Penn, since the portage is only 375 m. & as I recall easy-peasy. Even the portage haters can handle that one. I am however averse to paying twice so think I'll wait for either a group decision to change or updated news about that road after the heavy rains today. I suspect it'll be a blow-out.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230430/64ac104b9bf3b80c0da16509948068ef.jpg
The sinkhole referred to, taken the 25th.https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20230430/a6b29be3615f5dd2120c20f2f2f692c2.jpg

Cruiser51
04-30-2023, 08:38
Thanks for the intel and update Jamie ... I am still optimistic (or stubborn) about Rain lake

Brian

Bubba
04-30-2023, 08:57
My plan was to see what happens. I’m optimistic/stubborn about Rain as well. I just wanted to have some kind of back up. Maybe the sink hole will motivate the graders to get to that road.:scared:

Chard
04-30-2023, 11:34
That optimistic/stubborn streak is what I like about you guys.

Hope for Rain, fall back to Pen if necessary sounds like the way to go.

76 highboy
04-30-2023, 13:52
We'll be fine. ;)

lol

KeeWayKeno
04-30-2023, 17:14
Just FYI ... Penn is already fully booked for Sunday.

Lofty
04-30-2023, 17:36
so I figured I'd get what I could - I have PEN for Thursday and Friday night and ROCK for Saturday
looks like theres lots of campers booked just Saturday

If anyone wants to add on to my permit let me know

Lofty

keg
04-30-2023, 19:45
Are we making an official decision yet? I know Chris is planning on going in Wednesday so it would be good to figure things out before then.

Cruiser51
04-30-2023, 21:48
Still leaning to Rain/Sawyer ... or hoping, but not quite ready to give up on that

Bubba
05-01-2023, 10:18
The heavy rains are supposed to continue through to this evening. I guess we should make a decision by tomorrow.

KeeWayKeno
05-01-2023, 11:00
We need more intel if we're going to make an informed decision. It would be silly to just show up only to be turned back. I've already bugged them a few times, perhaps somebody else might call either / both of the Kearney outfitters?

It's curious that the park was still accepting bookings over the past weekend on lakes with closed access roads. The Ontario Parks' site offers no warning.

Bubba
05-01-2023, 11:44
FYI, just called Canoe Algonquin in Kearney and they had no info. There was no answer from Algonquin Basecamp, just an automated message.

BoundryWaters
05-01-2023, 11:54
I'm driving by the exit in a few hours anyway, so I'll make a detour and scope it out. Keep your fingers crossed...

xMagnolia
05-01-2023, 12:52
I hope it all works out for y'all- I eagerly await the EGL trip reports because they sound like such fun and I live a bit vicariously from way down here in Alabama.

Charlotte

Bubba
05-01-2023, 15:40
I hope it all works out for y'all- I eagerly await the EGL trip reports because they sound like such fun and I live a bit vicariously from way down here in Alabama.

Charlotte

Hey Thanks!

BoundryWaters
05-01-2023, 18:36
Ok, made it to the landing without any issues. Overall the road is certainly in rough condition, but nothing too crazy. A steady 40 km/h gets you there. The last couple of Kms is where it gets a bit more interesting. There's a small washout spot and the described sinkhole, but both are are marked with sticks and flagging tape, so you just go around. Two spots were the road is flooded a bit, but water is shallow. Right before the landing there's a 100m snowpatch, that can be navigated fairly easy as well. Easy does it on the last stretch. I'd say that even a vehicle with very remote offroad capabilities should make it there just fine. However that is simply my opinion, based on what I have encountered today. That's the BW report. Over and out...

KeeWayKeno
05-01-2023, 18:41
Now THAT is the best news I've heard since ice-out. Huge thanks BoundaryWaters, that was above & beyond.

All systems "go" for launch 1000 hrs Thursday!

Bubba
05-01-2023, 18:44
Ok, made it to the landing without any issues. Overall the road is certainly in rough condition, but nothing too crazy. A steady 40 km/h gets you there. The last couple of Kms is where it gets a bit more interesting. There's a small washout spot and the described sinkhole, but both are are marked with sticks and flagging tape, so you just go around. Two spots were the road is flooded a bit, but water is shallow. Right before the landing there's a 100m snowpatch, that can be navigated fairly easy as well. Easy does it on the last stretch. I'd say that even a vehicle with very remote offroad capabilities should make it there just fine. However that is simply my opinion, based on what I have encountered today. That's the BW report. Over and out...

Thanks for the on site intel! Very helpful for mission planning. (Sorry, my son was just asking me about military language)

Cruiser51
05-01-2023, 18:51
TYVM BWs .... nothing beats in person intel, it was appraciated

Brian

KWK ... seems we have almost identical arrival plans, hopefully we hook up for the paddle in

ggreaves
05-01-2023, 19:04
...hopefully we hook up for the paddle in

Get a hammock you two

KeeWayKeno
05-01-2023, 19:37
KWK ... seems we have almost identical arrival plans, hopefully we hook up for the paddle in

I picked that time to match yours & Brantwings so we could paddle in together. Hopefully joined by a few others, I've lost track.

Chard
05-01-2023, 19:49

Awesome work BoundryWaters. I think you made a lot of people, myself included, a lot less stressed.

I picked that time to match yours & Brantwings so we could paddle in together. Hopefully joined by a few others, I've lost track.

I'm also looking at being in Kearney for 9am Thursday morning. Would it be a good idea for us to meet there, say outside the Park office, and then head in together? Safety in numbers.

Lofty
05-01-2023, 20:11
I'm planning to be at the launch 10 am Thursday- Guess I'll be in Kearney just after 9

LuvmyBonnet
05-02-2023, 07:47
I've changed my reservations. I'm now heading in Thursday and heading out Monday!

Dale
05-02-2023, 08:23
I regret that I won't be able to join you all on this one. My mother-in-law is coming to visit from Sault Ste Marie for the first time since 2019 and we are celebrating her 80th birthday. My name would be mud if I didn't show. I will be keeping an eye out for a trip in the fall if that's a possibility.

Dale

Cruiser51
05-02-2023, 10:16
Sorry you won't make it Dale, but isn't MIL visiting a reason "TO GO" as opposed to "Not to GO" ???? (lol)

Dale
05-02-2023, 11:05
Sorry you won't make it Dale, but isn't MIL visiting a reason "TO GO" as opposed to "Not to GO" ???? (lol)

If I didn't have to live with her daughter the rest of the year, I'd jump at the chance to go on the trip but it's also my 4th anniversary.

Dale

keg
05-02-2023, 20:03
I'll be coming up Friday but will spend a quiet night by myself on rain before joining the socialization Sat/Sun.

Jiblets
05-03-2023, 11:32
**** it, I just realized what day it is tomorrow.

May the 4th be with you.