PDA

View Full Version : Climashield XP Hammock and Top Quilt?

Preacha Man
08-16-2007, 00:25
http://www.thru-hiker.com/insulation.html

I found this link at thru-hiker and wondered how it might turn out making a insulated hammock. I thought about 2 yards of the 5.0 oz on bottom, and then making the top quilt maybe 48" X 2 yards. The top quilt I would tack quilt so not to compress, but the bottom of the hammock I would only sew the ends with a #9 needle, and put the backstiches on the unused sides. Another thought might to use crossgrain. At first I was worried that the bottom might bunch up on the ends but my hammocks are usually 10.5' and I don't think the bunching would be a problem after I stretched out.

Has anyone used Climashield before? Is there any flaws in my plan? I thought this would be a lot easier to work with than down, and $56 for 4 yards isn't bad either.

slowhike
08-16-2007, 06:05
i haven't used the climashield yet but i have made an insulated hammock w/ polaguard.
it works great, just more bulk & weight than i'd like.
next one i wont go so far toward the ends w/ the insulation.
more later... late for work. ...tim

mr. dribbles
08-16-2007, 07:10
I used two layers of Climashield (from Thru-hiker) for my underquilt. I used the old KAQ design. It's easy to work with and kept me warm to 19 degrees in the Adirondacks. I have a HH BULA and used an EMS 20 degree bag as a quilt.

The Climashield has a "grain" to it and it and it can only really bunch up in the length direction. The fibers go completely across the width. So be careful not to pull it when laying it out. I did tack the whole thing per the directions, using a jig so as not to compress the loft. My thought is that it's better to tack it more, because you can't do it after the problem occurs.

FishBone
08-16-2007, 10:22
mr. dribbles -
what weight of Climashield did you use to get the 19 degree performance? Inquiring minds want to know.;)

JackRabbit
08-16-2007, 12:53
I haven't made it yet, but I plan on using Climashield for my quilt. Between being unable to decide what weight insulation to use and classes starting soon, I won't be able to start until winter break. So, I will be interested in your experience with it.:)

mr. dribbles
08-16-2007, 14:48
Fishbone- it was Climashield XP. To be honest, I tried to figure out the CLO system (and there are some great explanations on this and other forums), but just decided based on weight and cost as much as warmth.

The system I used was the underquilt, a 27 inch CCF pad from Target, the EMS Mountainlight 20, and midweight Bergaline long undies with a nylon sport pant and shirt over. I should add that I don't use the hammock tie outs for cold weather so the sides are closer to me. I only use the sleeping bag as a quilt, unzipped all the way. If it matters, I am a "cold sleeper".

If everything was adjusted well, I probably could have skipped the foam pad, but the hammock is so comfortable I didn't want to get out and take out the pad in the interest of science.

FWIW- AYCE at ThruHike was great to work with and had some good advice.

mr. dribbles
08-16-2007, 15:10
Sorry- I think I got the answer wrong because I didn't read the question.

I used two layers of the Climashield XP on top of each other.

FishBone
08-16-2007, 16:10
Thanks, mr. dribbles. I appreciated both answers. Your system is impressive. I'm considering making either a top or bottom quilt or both to get comfortable in my HH UlBA into the 20's and 30's. Happy Hangin':D

Preacha Man
08-16-2007, 19:52
Sorry- I think I got the answer wrong because I didn't read the question.

I used two layers of the Climashield XP on top of each other.

The more that I look at it I will go with two layers on bottom. One layer of 5.0 oz and the second will be the lighter version. Both together should give me a Clo of around 6. The top quilt will be a single layer of the 5.0 oz, and it has a Clo of 4.1 (I think).

This set up should keep me fairly warm (I am hoping mid 20's at least).

BillyBob58
08-16-2007, 22:20
Do you folks have some plans to go by for the quilts, or are you just playing it by ear?

FishBone
08-17-2007, 09:30
BillyBob58-
I use the dimensions from my JRB No Sniveler (78"x48"; used w/a HH ULBA) for a base and go from there; just base your dimensions on your need for coverage (I'm 5'10" and like a 62" shoulder width) and/or the materials you use. For example: I modified a Sportsman's Guide ultralight sleeping bag into an under quilt/top quilt (48"x70")by eliminating the zipper, relocating one of the two top drawstrings to the bottom, and adding end and side grosgrain tabs for hanging loops and side pullouts. Bam! A 22 oz sleeping bag became a 16 oz quilt!:cool: I also took a ThermoLite poncho liner, cut it down, added a head slot and ended up with a top quilt/serape (72"x54"; 28oz to 22oz.), in camo no less (FishBone winks at Neo)! A pending project is to add 1.1oz ripstop wings to my JRB to use for sleeping on that "other" place hangers sometimes use when absolutely necesssary.;) This will expand the "wrap" from 48" to 62" and only add about 1-2oz. I hope that helps.

Redtail
09-11-2007, 13:32
Preacha Man,
I was just curious if you went with the climashield and if you had made a quilt yet. My Climashield Combat 3.7 arrived yesterday and saw this thread while fishing for quilt info.

Preacha Man
09-11-2007, 14:27
Preacha Man,
I was just curious if you went with the climashield and if you had made a quilt yet. My Climashield Combat 3.7 arrived yesterday and saw this thread while fishing for quilt info.

no not yet, sorry. I just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet, but I need to hurry up and do it. I will go with the Climashield, and will sew it to the hems of the hammock with a 1.1oz ripstop outer shell. I'll post pics when I'm finished. Thanks for reminding me :D

cameronjreed
09-11-2007, 16:28
I am looking at thru-hiker.com and see that there are several different types of synthetic insulation....
ClimaShield XP
ClimaShield Combat
PreQuilted PrimaLoft One
PrimaLoft Sport

Also on the OWFInc.com website they offer ClimaShield Continuous Filament (which as I understand it is PolarGuard 3D, but they cannot use the name)

Of the various types of insulation what are the Pros and Cons of each? Is there an article I can read? Maybe I should start a new thread.
Please help a guy understand what it all means and how to chose the best insulation for a given circumstance.:rolleyes:

T-Dubs
09-11-2007, 17:41
I just finished 2 of these:http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/make-quilt/index.html

using this insulation:http://www.thru-hiker.com/insulation.html

and some 'rip-stop polysester' from WalMart. It was a simple project to layout but the sewing on the first one got a bit ragged. The second one went much better. It was my first sewing project and I am pleased (to a point) with the results. I haven't tried the quilts out yet but I'm hoping to get into the 20s with both quilts and a SuperShelter underpad.

TWS

Redtail
09-11-2007, 20:31
no not yet, sorry. I just haven't gotten around to ordering it yet, but I need to hurry up and do it. I will go with the Climashield, and will sew it to the hems of the hammock with a 1.1oz ripstop outer shell. I'll post pics when I'm finished. Thanks for reminding me :D
No problem. I haven't been in any hurry since it's been summer. Now all of a sudden it's supposed to be in the 40's Saturday night. I'm just doing a simple top quilt. Let us know how that insulated hammock works out.

I am looking at thru-hiker.com and see that there are several different types of synthetic insulation....
ClimaShield XP
ClimaShield Combat
PreQuilted PrimaLoft One
PrimaLoft Sport

Also on the OWFInc.com website they offer ClimaShield Continuous Filament (which as I understand it is PolarGuard 3D, but they cannot use the name)

Of the various types of insulation what are the Pros and Cons of each? Is there an article I can read? Maybe I should start a new thread.
Please help a guy understand what it all means and how to chose the best insulation for a given circumstance.:rolleyes:

ClimaShield Combat is XP, just a different thickness/weight. It comes in three weights 2.5, 3.7, and 5 oz/yd. I was reading some threads but it's not helpfull because they say things like "I used two layers of climashield" which is really meaningless without specifying the weight. I read lots of info on CLO, etc. but there's really nothing but personal experience I guess because one persons 32 degree quilt might only be a 50 degree one for someone else. I ended up just going by AYCE's description for the 3.7 ("At 3.7 osy, its CLO value is 3.7* 0.78= 2.9 which places it at right around 32 degrees.") and I'll see how it goes.

Redtail
09-11-2007, 20:50
I just finished 2 of these:http://www.backpacking.net/makegear/make-quilt/index.html

using this insulation:http://www.thru-hiker.com/insulation.html

and some 'rip-stop polysester' from WalMart. It was a simple project to layout but the sewing on the first one got a bit ragged. The second one went much better. It was my first sewing project and I am pleased (to a point) with the results. I haven't tried the quilts out yet but I'm hoping to get into the 20s with both quilts and a SuperShelter underpad.

TWS
Thanks for the quilt link. I'm making something similar but with a drawstring bottom instead. I got some ripstop from Wallyworld too. Which insulation did you use? Your link shows all of them.

slowhike
09-11-2007, 21:00
for anyone interested, here's how i have made two insulated hammocks.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P9110013.JPG
it worked great. the first two were heaver than they should have been, partly because the insulation went from knot to knot.
i plan to make another soon that will be insulated from head to just below feet.
the key is to weight the hammock as if occupied.
1st add ccf pads. that will allow you to reach inside if needed. then add what ever else you have to stretch the hammock to near it's full stretch.
when you bring the insulation up from both sides & pin, then hand baste it, leave a little play.
this can be brought up to contact the hammock by 4 cords w/ cord locks. two cord locks each side will allow the shell to be adjusted just right.

eyewall
09-12-2007, 23:30
Go here for a brief discussion on fabric, especially the new Momentum. http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/ look under FabricMojo. Climashield XP is essentially replacing PolarGuard 3D since the manufacturer stopped producing it. It is supposedly a bit better in insulation capability as compared to 3D, at least that is my understanding. Go to the manufacturer's website for technical info. I'm using it my underquilts, which I need to get busy on:)

T-Dubs
09-13-2007, 07:26
<snip> Which insulation did you use? Your link shows all of them.

I used the 2.5oz XP insulation for both of my quilts. I found it to be somewhat uneven in thickness. I also ended up with about 18" of unused insulation, which I added to the foot of one quilt. A little extra warmth there would be a good thing!

TWS

cameronjreed
09-13-2007, 11:21
What is CLO?

Redtail
09-13-2007, 11:45
I used the 2.5oz XP insulation for both of my quilts. I found it to be somewhat uneven in thickness. I also ended up with about 18" of unused insulation, which I added to the foot of one quilt. A little extra warmth there would be a good thing!

TWS

I was also disappointed with the uniformity of thickness of the 3.7. It is listed a .9 inches but looks to be a range of half an inch to over an inch. It's pretty apparent some areas have more "layers" than others.

I haven't decided what to do with the leftover pieces, I like your idea.

Preacha Man
09-13-2007, 19:07
What is CLO?

The standard amount of insulation required to keep a resting person warm in a windless room at 70 °F (21.1°C) is equal to one Clo. Clo units can be converted to R-value by multiplying Clo by 0.88 and R-value can be converted to Clo by multiplying R-value by 1.136. (Copied from Wikipedia)

You can search Backpackinglight.com, thru-hiker.com. I know that Ayce has a really good article on it, but sorry I cannot find it right now.

Preacha Man
12-16-2007, 00:25
Good News :D , I ordered my climashield XP today and my wife will help me finish my new cat tarp, insulated hammock, and top quilt after Christmas. I bought her a new serger for Christmas (don't tell her yet :) ), and I know that she will be in a sewing mood. I have really lucked out at wal-mart lately finding around 20 yards of various colored 1.1 sil. So, hopefully soon I will have some pics and test reports to tell yall how the 5oz climashield is working.

kohburn
12-20-2007, 09:07
The standard amount of insulation required to keep a resting person warm in a windless room at 70 °F (21.1°C) is equal to one Clo. Clo units can be converted to R-value by multiplying Clo by 0.88 and R-value can be converted to Clo by multiplying R-value by 1.136. (Copied from Wikipedia)

You can search Backpackinglight.com, thru-hiker.com. I know that Ayce has a really good article on it, but sorry I cannot find it right now.

CLO doesn't directly convert because it is based on a human testers comfort level relative to a number of layers of clothing. 1 CLO is basicly one layer of clothing.
R values are actual measured rated of conducted heat transfer (which also is lacking because it doesn't account for convection and radient loses)

the closed cell foams range from 5-7 R per inch, usually r5. so a 1/4" ccf pad is usually about an R1. 1/4" ccf pad is in no way equal to one layer of clothing. so be careful mixing CLO and R.

Preacha Man
12-22-2007, 20:09
CLO doesn't directly convert because it is based on a human testers comfort level relative to a number of layers of clothing. 1 CLO is basicly one layer of clothing.
R values are actual measured rated of conducted heat transfer (which also is lacking because it doesn't account for convection and radient loses)

the closed cell foams range from 5-7 R per inch, usually r5. so a 1/4" ccf pad is usually about an R1. 1/4" ccf pad is in no way equal to one layer of clothing. so be careful mixing CLO and R.

Thanks for the clarification, I copied that from wikipedia. Yours makes much better sense.

Miguel
12-22-2007, 21:11
Good News :D , I ordered my climashield XP today and my wife will help me finish my new cat tarp, insulated hammock, and top quilt after Christmas. I bought her a new serger for Christmas (don't tell her yet :) ), and I know that she will be in a sewing mood. I have really lucked out at wal-mart lately finding around 20 yards of various colored 1.1 sil. So, hopefully soon I will have some pics and test reports to tell yall how the 5oz climashield is working.

New sewing machine huh. Preacha Man....you are a sly dog! I've had the materials for my underquilt for about a month now and my wife has yet to commence sewing. Maybe I shoud have asked Santa for a new wife for Xmas.

Miguel

Preacha Man
01-30-2008, 15:08
Okay, So I ditched the idea of making an insulated hammock. Instead, I got my wife to make be a bottom quilt. It is big (I like to stay warm) , It is a little over 6'X4'. It has 1 continuous layer of 5oz climashield XP, and has another layer from the butt to the head.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/3/2/102_5100.JPG
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/3/2/102_5099.JPG
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/3/2/102_5096.JPG
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/1/1/3/2/102_5097.JPG

I tried it last night with my single layer 5oz climashield XP top quilt. The temp dropped down to 16F, and I was warm. I actually woke myself up at 4am because I was snoring. I was wearing 2 pairs of regular socks, my jeans, undershirt, fleece jacket, and my son's spiderman stocking cap. After I got it fully adjusted everything was great. I was really surprised that the top quilt kept me warm to 16F, as it is only rated to 20F. I had a great night, but went in at 4am (when I woke myself from snoring), to check the temp. I do not know the weight yet, but it feels ok. I like the colors too, OD green.

Dwight

Redtail
01-30-2008, 15:35
Thanks for the update. Looks toasty. So you had two layers of the 5 oz. on the bottom and one on top?

Preacha Man
01-30-2008, 16:26
Thanks for the update. Looks toasty. So you had two layers of the 5 oz. on the bottom and one on top?

I had one layer in my top quilt, and I had 2 layers in the bottom quilt. But the bottom is only 2 layers from my head to my butt, from my butt to my feet is one layer.

I was really surprised that it did so well at 16F :eek:

Redtail
01-30-2008, 16:36
I had one layer in my top quilt, and I had 2 layers in the bottom quilt. But the bottom is only 2 layers from my head to my butt, from my butt to my feet is one layer.

I was really surprised that it did so well at 16F :eek:
I think you just invented a new hybrid? Has the leg coverage of a full length but the extra torso insulation of one of those new half UQ. I like it.

Oh-No
01-30-2008, 17:15
What is CLO?

I my opinion Clo is an odd measure of insulation.
But here it is.

The insulation of clothes are often measured with the unit "Clo", where
1 Clo = 0.155 m2K/W

Zero (0) Clo corresponds to a naked person.

One (1) Clo corresponds to a person wearing a typical business suit.

Like I said an odd measure of insulating value.