PDA

View Full Version : Do I need a wider hammock?

Sipperphoto
02-18-2024, 04:35
Looking at upgrading my Amazon Special to an 11’ Simply Light Designs Trail Lair. Looking over the options and wondering if the standard width (56”-58”) would be fine or if I’d like a wider version. He offers the trail lair in a wide of about 70” (probably less once made).

I’m 5’10” and 175 lbs. and not particularly wide framed. Would the standard be comfy enough?

Otter1
02-18-2024, 07:14
While comfort is subjective, most folks your height will be just fine in standard width. I'm 6' 1"and can be fine in standard, but prefer wide.

LowTech
02-18-2024, 09:59
I'm 6' and just picked up one of his Voyageurs In wide that I had cut down to my preferred size of around 64".
I think that the width is more about how diagonal ( how much sag) you like to lay. I like a bit more sag than some.

"Sent w/o me knowing"

Zach L
02-18-2024, 15:44
I have a blackbird xlc and feel like it would be perfect if it was 2” wider. But 62” is honestly a pretty good width for me. I’m 6 ft and 210 lbs. I feel like anything over 64 is loose and wasted fabric. But to each their own. Hope that helps.

joe_guilbeau
02-18-2024, 16:04
Width is very subjective, and for me the 90-inch wide polyester "no stretch" fabric gives a very firm lay.

I can lay 90-deg to the longitudinal (length) of the hammock and have plenty of back and leg support to lay on left or right sides and still have a view.

I do have 10-inch spreader bars, so perhaps that, for me, is the perfect lay for the 136" x 90" tablecloths. There is no sag, just firm support. The wide polyester allows one to position themselves to allow the back, legs, neck and shoulders 3-4 positions which allow for an easy 12-hour snooze.

It seems to have the best of a flat lay and cocoon affect depending on where you position yourself at head/foot end, or midway laying at a 75-deg orientation to the longitudinal.

HYOH Silver!

Ecaz
05-08-2024, 16:21
I personally don't like a very wide hammock and i'm pretty broad at 6'2". i like to be able to peak over the edge and i can't do that with aggressively wide hammocks. Some hammocks like the Warbonnet BlackBird or the Dream Hammock sparrow will offer see-through ports.

joe_guilbeau
05-08-2024, 20:35
The extra flap at the sides is easy to fold inward and allows a convenient arm rest or even a bent knee, lots of ways to get comfortable and easily change positions.

That is on the feet side, on the head side a 7-inch tube pillow can be tucked under the fold, and the hammock fabric overlays and allows your head and neck a nice air ride suspension, cuz you gotta dance wit dem whut brung ya.

Dlrocm
05-18-2024, 11:03
I'm 5'7" and I've tried wider and standard hammocks. I have a wide trail lair (62 or 64 inches wide), and I prefer the standard 58 inch.

the wide hammock is not less comfortable, it's just more fabric to manage.

megasupermagnum
05-18-2024, 23:19
I'm 6'5", and my hammocks are 74" wide, and they are more than needed. I see no reason a normal height person would need a 70" wide hammock. That said, I'm not sure it would hurt anything other than added weight. I personally do not care about a little extra material, or not being able to see out the side. The hammock length seemed to change the width of the area you lay in, particularly around my shoulders. I'm a pretty big guy, and I could tell the difference between a 11' and 12' hammock. I'm happy with my 12', but I could honestly go back to a 11' and be plenty happy.

So I'd say an 11' regular width should be perfect for you.