PDA

View Full Version : ENO Slap Straps

Cuffs
08-19-2007, 11:25
Could someone (or 2 or 3 or 4) please explain to me the pros and cons of the slap straps?

I have tried the ring buckle system and I am not too fond of it... sorry, it just doesnt work for me..

I liked my nylon cleats, but since the bending incident, I have lost faith is their strength...

Now looking at the slap straps...

Thanks!

FanaticFringer
08-19-2007, 11:47
Have you tried the buckles out? I'm sorry you are having trouble finding a solution to your suspension. Buckles are much more user friendly than rings.
I definetely would'nt give up on them. I promise they are worth it. Have someone close by help you with them or ship it to me and I'll get it right.

angrysparrow
08-19-2007, 11:55
Could someone (or 2 or 3 or 4) please explain to me the pros and cons of the slap straps?

The pros of the slap straps are the simplicity and commercial availability. The cons are that they are made of nylon, so have a LOT of stretch, and like tree huggers your tree selection is limited to only trees that the straps are long enough to wrap around.

FF is right. There's a good reason that cinch buckles are very popular. You should at least try them before consigning yourself to dealing with the stretch of slap straps.

Nest
08-19-2007, 11:56
The slap straps were my first suspension system, and I can't stand them. They are nylon, so they stretch a lot. Plus I rarely got an ideal hang because the loops are set. Less options with them because you can only hook up where a loop is. My biggest complaint though would be the stretching. I'm a very light person, and it would stretch so much at times that my ridgeline would be out of reach by morning. This was when I tied the ridgeline to the tree.

Nest
08-19-2007, 11:57
The pros of the slap straps are the simplicity and commercial availability. The cons are that they are made of nylon, so have a LOT of stretch, and like tree huggers your tree selection is limited to only trees that the straps are long enough to wrap around.

FF is right. There's a good reason that cinch buckles are very popular. You should at least try them before consigning yourself to dealing with the stretch of slap straps.

Anyone tried to sew their own slap straps out of polyester webbing?

angrysparrow
08-19-2007, 12:22
Anyone tried to sew their own slap straps out of polyester webbing?

I searched, but can't find any instance of anyone doing that. It's certainly possible, though.

@AlHikerGal - Don't you have an HH now? I think you'll find that with a HH you'll want to be able to pull the suspension ropes very tight. SlapStraps aren't easily adjustable for doing that. JMO.

Cuffs
08-19-2007, 17:04
I have not tried the buckle thingy (I did the rings with the webbing, thats the one I dont like)

I guess I'll try the other buckles now...