PDA

View Full Version : Molly Mac Gear: 5-in-1 Jerry Chair

MacEntyre
04-22-2010, 17:57
As I have already explained, a little bird whispered in my ear, so I asked permission from _Tinker_, Bonsalhiker and Dblhmmk to make a Jerry Chair that incorporates all of the ideas that those fellows included in their chairs, and offer it for sale.

This Jerry Chair is 52" long and 35" at the widest point. It is made with 330 denier PU coated Cordura nylon on the outside, 1.1 ripstop nylon on the inside, and one layer of Insultex in between. It is bound with grosgrain, and has several polypropylene loops. The EVA CCF pad is 12"X20". It weighs 13 ounces without suspension or CCF pad. By using 200 denier PU coated Oxford nylon (packcloth) this UQ can be a little lighter. By adding more layers of IX with IXTubes, this UQ can be a whole lot warmer. Although this prototype does not feature a differential cut, all subsequent MMG 5-in-1 Jerry Chairs will be made from a patterns that are differential.

A note on darts: This IX UQ is heavily darted, like the other IX UQs I've made, so that it will fit well. However, when you dart something that has more than one layer, it presents a problem. Instead of cutting the excess, or just folding the bulky excess over and stitching it down, I finish each dart using a suggestion from my friend Dave, a talented thread injecting professional. For each dart, I slip the scissors into the excess, cut one side along the stitching, remove everything but the outer layer of fabric, fold the outer layer, and stitch it down. That leaves a clean dart, with no raw edges.

This Jerry Chair has five functions:

1. It is primarily a fitted 3/4 length Insultex under quilt. I made this the primary function because I wanted it to be a very good IX UQ. It is made with the same pattern as the symmetrical Molly Mac Gear IX UQs, but it is two feet shorter.
2. It is a Jerry Chair for use with hiking sticks or cut branches to brace your back.
3. It is a hammock, for sitting or for gear. The construction is plenty strong for a hammock. Each polypropylene loop is box stitched through all layers, including the grosgrain binding. The shock cord suspension can be interchanged with Whoopie slings.
4. It is a pack cover. When folded, with cord through the loops, the fitted shape can be cinched tightly over a pack.
5. It is a ground cloth. The PU coated outer shell is waterproof and durable.

As for price, this product demonstrates why I am reluctant to put a covering fabric on the IX UQs. It is very labor intensive. However, this Jerry Chair can be a very warm 3/4 length UQ, for use in any weather. I will make it for $80, plus $10 for each additional layer of IX. Additional layers of IX will include IXTubes. I believe it is reasonable to expect a 4 layer differential cut IX UQ Jerry Chair with IXTubes to weigh less than a pound and be good to 0*F. Two layers will get you to 32*F. [If you leave the CCF pad in it, who knows?]

I'll have this 5-in-1 Jerry Chair available for folks to inspect at Hot Springs tomorrow!

- MacEntyre

The original Jerry Chair by _Tinker_ (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11672&highlight=jerry+chair)
The Insulated 3-in-1 Jerry Chair by Bonsalhiker (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12778&highlight=jerry+chair)
Jerry Chair Insultex UQ by Dblhmmk (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14747&highlight=jerry+chair)
The Molly Chair by Hogn8r (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11801&highlight=jerry+chair)

KerMegan
04-22-2010, 18:04
aMaZing!!KM

Dutch
04-22-2010, 18:22
That is really great. I like the looks of it much more than the white insultex. It may be worth the weight of the covering now that is does so much more. Really looks good Mac. Great idea.

MacEntyre
04-22-2010, 18:25
...may be worth the weight of the covering now that is does so much more.
My thoughts exactly!

:cool:

pedro
04-22-2010, 18:33
And the hits keep comin'! That is some fine looking kit, Mac.

Knotty
04-22-2010, 18:51
Very nice Mac. No doubt multipurpose gear gets a little more leeway in terms of weight. It just has to weigh less than the combined items.

UncleMJM
04-22-2010, 18:53
Let's see, it's April, not too soon to start a Christmas list.

sclittlefield
04-22-2010, 20:37
Now we're talking. Very cool Mac... or should I say warm. :)

JerryW
04-22-2010, 20:39
That turned out real good!

Can you explain what Insultex Tubes are? I've been trying to follow all the IX threads, but I must have missed this somewhere.

Jerry

Mustardman
04-22-2010, 20:44
Very very cool - can't wait to see more pictures - in use and packed up would be awesome, to get a feel for how small it packs.

MacEntyre
04-22-2010, 21:01
Can you explain what Insultex Tubes are?
I give layered IX some loft by putting 1/2" longitudinal, non-tapered pleats in the middle layer. (A 1/2" pleat takes 1" of width out of the fabric.) They are about 4" apart. The pleats tend to lay down, but they provide spacers that are more than twice the thickness of the Insultex, and serve as stand-offs for the adjacent layers.

In my 3 layer Top Blanket (coming soon!) the middle layer will have them alternating, one on one side, then one on the other side, so that the middle layer of IX will have a small air gap above and below.

It's amazing how much warmth those simple tubes generate!

- MacEntrye

bigbamaguy
04-22-2010, 21:30
Mac:
Your killing me!!!!! I really like the looks of this item and what all if can do. Just one more thing I've got to figure out how to pay for...........or there could be modifications on this end.........will let you know.

BrianWillan
04-22-2010, 21:34
I'll have this 5-in-1 Jerry Chair available for folks to inspect at Hot Springs tomorrow!

- MacEntyre

I trust there will be additional pictures/videos showing the 5-in-1 wonder in its various configurations?

Any idea what the largest volume pack this would be suitable for a pack cover?

Cheers

Brian

JerryW
04-22-2010, 21:51
I give layered IX some loft by putting 1/2" longitudinal, non-tapered pleats in the middle layer. (A 1/2" pleat takes 1" of width out of the fabric.) They are about 4" apart. The pleats tend to lay down, but they provide spacers that are more than twice the thickness of the Insultex, and serve as stand-offs for the adjacent layers.

Brilliant! Such a simple solution to the need for an air gap. Thanks for the description.

Jerry

MacEntyre
04-22-2010, 22:23
I trust there will be additional pictures/videos...
Certainly! Thing1 and I will do our best to entertain and educate! We may lure others into the picture, so to speak. :rolleyes:

Any idea what the largest volume pack this would be suitable for a pack cover?
Anything that can be covered by a 3/4 length UQ (52"x35")... That's large enough to cover 2Q's Mt Rogers pulk sled!

Brilliant! ...Thanks for the description
You are entyrely welcome, Jerry!

- MacEntyre

lazy river road
04-22-2010, 22:41
Very Cool Mac, I really like all the multi purposes of the chair I mean UQ I mean gear hammock oohh wait now im just confused :confused::rolleyes:

MacEntyre
04-23-2010, 05:45
I put these links in the OP:

The original Jerry Chair by _Tinker_ (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11672&highlight=jerry+chair)
The Insulated 3-in-1 Jerry Chair by Bonsalhiker (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=12778&highlight=jerry+chair)
Jerry Chair Insultex UQ by Dblhmmk (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=14747&highlight=jerry+chair)
The Molly Chair by Hogn8r (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=11801&highlight=jerry+chair)

headchange4u
04-23-2010, 07:33
Brilliant!

thekevinator
10-10-2012, 23:26
So can I order one of these from you? the 80$ 30* is perfect for me.
Just let me know how to proceed

Black Wolf
10-11-2012, 00:15
Put a channel around the perimeter and a draw cord .. make it a 6 in 1 ..Pulk Cover .. Bonsaihiker did this for his .. coincidentally I just watched his video today

I guess you could use the loops as well ..

How many layers of IX is the 13oz. weight ?? .. what do you think it would weigh with 4 layers ??

MacEntyre
10-24-2012, 18:42
So can I order one of these from you? the 80$ 30* is perfect for me.
Just let me know how to proceed
...just send me email: [email protected]

How many layers of IX is the 13oz. weight ??
It's actually lighter now... about 11 oz. There are two layers of PPEF plus a Torso Heater (third layer in the form of an integral 2'x3' rectangle)

...what do you think it would weigh with 4 layers ??
I am not interested in making them with 4 layers.

- MacEntyre

leeinmemphis
04-04-2013, 12:25
I sent you an email about making me one of the chairs as well

leeinmemphis
04-04-2013, 12:51
Actually I sent it through the contact us on your web page

MacEntyre
04-06-2013, 16:55
Best way to reach me is [email protected]

PM sent.

- MacEntyre

Faussett
04-08-2013, 00:12
I was wondering what kind of temp the jerry chair can go down to compaired to the shamu?

MacEntyre
04-08-2013, 05:57
I was wondering what kind of temp the jerry chair can go down to compaired to the shamu?
The 5-in-1 Jerry Chair is a Baby Orca with a silnylon outer covering, a pole pocket, and channels all the way around. The price is the same as a Shamu. Like the Shamu and Baby Orca, the 5-in-1 Jerry Chair will take a warm sleeper down to freezing. Most people can use them into the 40s.

They aren't on the web sire, but you can order them via email directly to me.

- MacEntyre

MacEntyre
04-25-2013, 05:46
They aren't on the web sire...
Now they are! (http://www.outdoortrailgear.com/featured/baby-orca-underquilt/)

- MacEntyre

TheFarmerCamper
08-04-2013, 10:11
It looks like in the photo and video it is dessert camo. Do you make it in any other colors?

MacEntyre
08-05-2013, 06:43
It looks like in the photo and video it is dessert camo. Do you make it in any other colors?
Normally they are black.

TheFarmerCamper
08-05-2013, 06:46
Normally they are black.

Even better. Thanks!

queenelvis82
06-08-2014, 21:22
Just got mine in the mail! Can't wait to test it out and get rid of my "camping chair's" weight. Thanks again!
Todd

MacEntyre
06-09-2014, 07:23
Yours is the only one so far with a green inner lining. I am out of green. Enjoy!

kc_joe
09-01-2014, 10:24
Any of you 5-in-1 owners have any feedback on using as a chair to share? Seems better than just plopping down on the ground but is it really something you find yourself using?