PDA

View Full Version : Space blanket- underquilt

earplug94
04-23-2010, 09:44
Hola,
Do you guys see any advantage of placing a simple space blanket between a Yeti and the hammock?

Thanks,
Earplug

Satty
04-23-2010, 10:18
I might be wrong. But wouldn't the space blanket between you and the Yeti block the benefits of the Yeti?

Again..my hammock and yeti won't get here till early next week, but that would my uneducated guess.

Roadtorque
04-23-2010, 10:20
It would add more warmth to your UQ but you will likely encounter condensation issues as the space blanket will essentially be a vapor barrier.

angrysparrow
04-23-2010, 10:25
A space blanket between you and the Yeti acts as a vapor barrier, and indeed will provide a temperature boost.

Have a look at this thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=6264). Youngblood explained the effect there, in detail. Also note that the Yeti liner that Brandon sells acts in the same way.

canoeski
04-23-2010, 10:32
Hola,
Do you guys see any advantage of placing a simple space blanket between a Yeti and the hammock?

Thanks,
Earplug

Ah, yup.

When the space blanket is placed between the hammock and the UQ it will act as both a radiant barrier and a vapor barrier. The colder it is, the more effective it will be. On a recent trip in March, I loaned my other hammock to a first-timer, and wanted him to have the coziest experience, so he got the warmer UQ and the only space blanket I had. I had a HH hammock with the impervious under cover. I had the JRB MW3 UQ in between. It was 19° that night and in the morning I had condensation in the bottom of the undercover, which means the down UQ also had high humidity. This hasn't happened with the spaceblanket at even colder temps. (By "space blanket" I mean the thin mylar sheets, rather than the heavy ripstop "Space Blanket" which I use as a ground cloth when a groundcloth is required.;) )

Knotty
04-23-2010, 10:52
Ah, yup.

When the space blanket is placed between the hammock and the UQ it will act as both a radiant barrier and a vapor barrier. The colder it is, the more effective it will be. On a recent trip in March, I loaned my other hammock to a first-timer, and wanted him to have the coziest experience, so he got the warmer UQ and the only space blanket I had. I had a HH hammock with the impervious under cover. I had the JRB MW3 UQ in between. It was 19° that night and in the morning I had condensation in the bottom of the undercover, which means the down UQ also had high humidity. This hasn't happened with the spaceblanket at even colder temps. (By "space blanket" I mean the thin mylar sheets, rather than the heavy ripstop "Space Blanket" which I use as a ground cloth when a groundcloth is required.;) )

Yup. You don't want to put an UQ inside the SuperShelter under cover unless you also put a space blanket between you and the UQ. The Hennessy under cover doesn't breath so your body moisture will get trapped and condense when it hits the cold under cover and possibly before then in the down. Adding a space blanket will act as a vapor barrier and prevent moisture from entering that area.

Satty
04-23-2010, 14:00
See I was wrong. Learn something new everyday.