PDA

View Full Version : Mythical wallyworld 1$

GnomePatrol
04-25-2010, 23:57
Anybody in the memphis area know if any of walmarts still have a fabric department? Seems like all the locations east of town have renovated/killed the fabric department. I keep reading diy posts about this mythical 1$/yd fabric and I must find some for myself.

Browny
04-26-2010, 05:12
I've been reading these same posts with envy. Best I can do so far in Western Australia is our fabric/craft chainstores "Spotlight".
Bright colours, only one choice of weights, unsealed ripstop. For a budget price of 6 - 9 per metre with NO discounts/remnants.

Online is the only real option for me.

Boris Losdindawoods
04-26-2010, 06:50
There's none left in South Carolina. JustJeff cleaned out the entire state before he left. My wife thinks it's sweet when I drive 2 hours to go have lunch with the munchkin in college... hopefully she won't figure out I'm checking the discount racks at two Joann's and three different WalMarts.

gargoyle
04-26-2010, 07:05
WalMart is closing down the fabric dept. as of June, all stores will no longer carry fabric. The reasoning seems to be it takes an employee to staff the area (measuring and cutting), whereas the other areas are fairly self sufficient.

I am one of the lucky few, my wally's still has some fabric!! Yesterday I picked up some ripstop with a sil or pu coating, (it is waterproof) from the $1.50 bin, and because they are closing, it was 25% off.

ZMad2000
04-26-2010, 12:56
Where did you get this info??? I just bought some digi camo that also has a sil or pu coating. I might have to check by some others to stock up.

Take-a-knee
04-26-2010, 13:32
Half the walmarts in my area have eliminated the fabric dept. I have a good supply of gray DWR, ACU ripstop, and some OD ripstop. I have yet to find the "holy grail" of silnylon in any color, and I've looked.

GnomePatrol
04-26-2010, 13:35
Well I have been searching around on the internet and looks like I might be sol. I know the one closest to me got rid of fabric years ago and the others don't seem to have any, but then again trying to get help from walmart is like pulling teeth at times. Its really too bad since I could have bought a roll of wally stuff for less than two yards of stuff from joann or hancock and the like.

gargoyle
04-26-2010, 13:36
Straight from the WM staff, both this weekend and last time I was in there, two weeks ago. Buy now! Its a corporate closing of all Fabric Dept.'s, chain-wide.

Ramblinrev
04-26-2010, 13:38
I've been told our store _might_ be saved because of the high concentration of Amish in the area. They make a ton of money off that group.

rigidpsycho
04-26-2010, 14:24
With the work I do I have been told whenever an existing Walmart goes through a remodel the fabric is no longer going to be available.

Ramblinrev
04-26-2010, 16:46
according to my fabric dept clerks they expect at least another 2 years before they are closed. They survived the last mini remodel which is the trigger for the closing they said.

krugd
04-28-2010, 09:30
Stopped by WallyWorld this morning and picked up some digital camo fabric that feels like sil (also passed the breath test.) Can't wait to get home and do further checking.:):) I've been buying WW fabric for several years - this could be my first sil score.

I asked the clerk about closing. She said that the other 2 ww's in the area would be closing their fabric departments :(, but she had heard nothing about her own store closing.)

Later: Shucks!:(:( The material is too heavy for sil. Looks like regular (1.9 oz) ripstop with a heavy coating. Comes in at about 3 oz /yd. Would make nice a car camping tarp - anyone want some?