PDA

View Full Version : MMG 5-in-1 Jerry Chair at Hot Springs

MacEntyre
04-26-2010, 08:26
At Hot Springs, we demonstrated the Molly Mac Gear Jerry Chair and determined how to tweak it to fit a Blackbird and a Switchback.

Molly Mac Gear 5-in-1 Jerry Chair at Hot Springs (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DyRroOVXWZM)

DyRroOVXWZM

Web site update coming soon!

- MacEntyre

headchange4u
04-26-2010, 08:41
Nice. I'll be ordering one of those.

Adia
04-26-2010, 08:44
very nice! i love multi function items.

bigbamaguy
04-26-2010, 09:06
Mac:
I like the way this item is working for you. I look forward to seeing more development and refinement of this product.

SmokeBait
04-26-2010, 09:14
Darn right ingenious! Build it and they will come.

SmokeBait

Highstrung
04-26-2010, 09:19
Man I can't wait to order one of these babies! I love how it's virtually indestructible, not very susceptible to water damage, and versatile! Great job MMG!

UncleMJM
04-26-2010, 09:22
So....

... when does production and ordering begin?

turtlelady
04-26-2010, 09:37
Does this use the Insultex for insulation?

MacEntyre
04-26-2010, 09:41
when does production and ordering begin?

It has already begun! Email me for details.

- MacEntyre

Shug
04-26-2010, 09:46
Very nice ..... Hey Mac .... what does it weigh in at?
Shug
Fun too see Running Feather.

MacEntyre
04-26-2010, 09:49
...what does it weigh in at?
The one in the video has a Cordura outer shell and weighs 13 ounces. I'll weigh the lighter version as soon as it comes out of the Molly Mac Skunkworks!

One additional layer of Insultex will add about a half an ounce.

- MacEntyre

Edit: The "lighter version" uses 1.1 ripstop inside and out, with the 330D Cordura or 200D packcloth only on the outside, under the CCF pad.

MacEntyre
04-26-2010, 10:28
This looks like perfection.
Most humble thanks for such kind words!

Does this use the Insultex for insulation?
Yes!

- MacEntyre

UncleMJM
04-26-2010, 11:25
It has already begun! Email me for details.

- MacEntyre

You've got mail. :)

turtlelady
04-26-2010, 11:27
Order placed! Yippee! Last year I decided to order a hammock for my birthday after being at Hot Springs. It took me almost an entire year to actually make the order for a Switchback though, feeling like I needed to study, etc. Now, for my birthday this year ( tomorrow) I wanted an underquilt. Took me five minutes to decide to order the 5-in-1 after being at Hot Springs via the videos this morning. Seeing the 5-in-1 actually snugged right up to the Switchback and hearing the on the spot tweaking to make it even better . . .so cool! I love this forum and all the creative and empowering folks who make it so valuable and downright fun! Neo, I sure hope to show this off at your hang next month -- I ordered camo, in your honor! My first piece of camo gear ever.

bigbamaguy
04-26-2010, 11:43
Mac:
going to send an email with a question or two.............

turtlelady:
Happy Birthday to you, we share the same day!!!!!!!! I hope to see you at the Meriwether Lewis Hang.

peanuts
04-26-2010, 11:51
very nice, how did i miss it in person:confused:

DocBurN
04-26-2010, 17:34
1) I dream of the day i'll burn my ccf pad and replace it with a good UQ.

2) I was aiming at an UQ that alone (without ccf) can keep me warm at around zero celcius (32F)

3) Lets say a triple layer to be sure.. you said that double Insultex layer "should" be enough for a zero celcius situation

4) You ship to Canada

Is the MMG 5-in-1 Jerry Chair up to the task ?

MacEntyre
04-26-2010, 18:02
Is the MMG 5-in-1 Jerry Chair up to the task?
Yes, sir!

Send me email.

- MacEntyre

UncleMJM
05-14-2010, 11:17
I received mine this week and tried it out yesterday. Works great as a chair.

Not really able to tell as an underquilt since it was 90* yesterday. I did notice gaps on both ends so I guess I need more tension to close them up.

So... what are some of the other functions folks are useing it for?

Triptease
05-14-2010, 11:42
so is it possible to order an "original" Jerry Chair that only weighed a scant couple of ounces?

angrysparrow
05-14-2010, 11:46
So... what are some of the other functions folks are using it for?

First, it works nicely as a warm-weather underquilt. My friend Hetairoi and I just completed a 10 day kayaking trip on which we took a pair of the MMG JC's along. Used on a Traveler and BlackBird respectively, our single layer IX chairs kept us warm (low temps in upper 40's, but mainly 50's). I have no doubt that more layers of IX would boost it further.

I did make a couple of small suggestions to MacEntyre for improving them, including a cinch channel along each end and trading the pad holder tabs for a simple sleeve.

On our trip, we used them as underquilts, chairs, sit pads, ground cloths, kayak cockpit covers, food prep mats, and bug swatters. I'm sure I'll think of more uses the longer I have one, though. My favorite feature, by far, was that MacEntyre made ours from Silnylon on both sides. We were thus able to use them as chairs and sit pads with no regard to ground dampness. I even used it as a chair a couple of times while wearing wet swim trunks...no harm done.

MacEntyre
05-17-2010, 22:04
I did notice gaps on both ends so I guess I need more tension to close them up.
Where were the gaps? Were you in it?

It will show gaps if you are not in it. When you put your shoulders right at the end, they gaps will disappear. If not, tighten it up a little.

Unlike the plain IX UQs, the Jerry Chair IX UQ can be suspended so that it touches the hammock, which is tighter than the plain IX UQ.

- MacEntyre

MacEntyre
05-17-2010, 22:06
so is it possible to order an "original" Jerry Chair that only weighed a scant couple of ounces?
...it's a simple DIY project!

:cool: