PDA

View Full Version : Backwoods Daydreamer Gear - Fabric Sale

sclittlefield
04-26-2010, 10:47
Fabric Sale info first, then you can read up a bit more on the status of Backwoods Daydreamer Gear (http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/) if you're so inclined.

1. Woodland Camo. 30d Ripstop Nylon, 68" wide. Uncoated. 1st quality fabric. This is not downproof.

2. Olive Green. 30d Ripstop Nylon, 64" wide. Calendared, Uncoated. 2nds Fabric (two tiny gray stripes running parallel along the center of the fabric, hard to see, but they are there). This material has been used successfully for down quilts.

Price: $2.75/yd for HF members (will be $3.00 on the website).

Shipping: To U.S.
1-10yds $6.00
11-20yds $8.00
21+yds $10.00
Shipping will be USPS Priority mail. Please contact me if you are outside of the US for your specific shipping rate.

Ordering: You may order straight through Paypal ([email protected]).
Please include your HF name and what fabric you are purchasing in the memo section of your Paypal payment. (ex. HF-sclittlefield, 10yds Camo, 5yds Olive)
Some Paypal accounts do not include the shipping address - please include your shipping address in the memo if this is the case.

__________________________________________________ ____

Greetings. I know it's been a while since you've seen any action over at Backwoods Daydreamer Gear (http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.webs.com/). I apologize for the overly-long hiatus and still need to ask for a little more patience on the tarp front.

As many of you know, we're in the process of selling our house and purchasing a new one. Good news is the new house is getting done fast - it's roofed and sided, just inside work to do now. However, we've not sold the current house, which is the contingent factor on moving. So, what that means is I've not been able to set up my gear shop yet. (I am working on a temporary solution to be able to build gear off-site and will update you all on the progress of that as soon as I have anything concrete - It's my hope to be able to take orders again in May... :thumbup1:)

So.. in the mean time - I can offer the fabric that many of you have been asking me about at the continued sale price for HF members.

Once things are back up and running, I will unveil the changes to certain tarps as well as let you know about new items for purchase at the store to accessorize your tarp. It's all, slowly but surely, coming together an I am very excited about getting going again.

Thank you all for your patience and support over these long months.

- Scott L.

opie
04-26-2010, 18:52
Sounds like things are moving along Scott. Maybe not as quickly as youd like... But moving non-the-less.

sclittlefield
04-26-2010, 19:46
Sounds like things are moving along Scott. Maybe not as quickly as youd like... But moving non-the-less.

Thanks Opie. Wish I could say slow and steady, but I fear it's just the slow, no steady.

Baby steps back to business... :)

opie
04-26-2010, 20:15
Its nice to step back once in awhile and get the big picture now and then. I find I get so immersed in filling orders that things escape me... a better way, a new product, etc.

Whether that step back is forced or voluntary.. I think its an important step to take.

opie
04-26-2010, 20:16
BTW.... Ive got a trampoline I can loan you till you get some steps built up to your front door.

Ramblinrev
04-26-2010, 20:27
BTW.... Ive got a trampoline I can loan you till you get some steps built up to your front door.

ahem.... This northern Maine where he lives. They never have stairs to the front door. The way the locals tell it... stairs to the front door would be a "completed home" which gets taxed at a higher rate than an unfinished home. Ergo... no stairs to the front door.

opie
04-26-2010, 20:41
ahem.... This northern Maine where he lives. They never have stairs to the front door. The way the locals tell it... stairs to the front door would be a "completed home" which gets taxed at a higher rate than an unfinished home. Ergo... no stairs to the front door.

Ive heard something to that effect before.

sclittlefield
04-26-2010, 20:58

You're onto me Rev... and you would know - you paid your dues here in Northern Maine. In fact, it's the same town you took your classes in. About 5 min. drive from the building.

Exactly. We'll be the coolest house on the block - gotta bounce your way in. And to get out... it's a good thing I've got all this silnylon - we'll make parachutes and gliders.

sclittlefield
04-29-2010, 15:44
Somewhat shameful Bump...

However, there is a point. I wanted to let you all know that I finally bit the bullet and bought a real domain (www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com (www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com)) and have moved the site over.

The .webs address will still work (or so I hope), but your bookmarks ought to be changed to eliminate the .webs (I know you ALL have the site bookmarked... and check it daily... I know I do). :)

Also, email contact would best be done through either of these channels:
[email protected]
[email protected]

Thanks, and please toss me an email if you have any suggestions for the website, marketable products, or just want to chat.

Be well,
Scott L.

Cranky Bear
04-29-2010, 16:13
Somewhat shameful Bump...

However, there is a point. I wanted to let you all know that I finally bit the bullet and bought a real domain (www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com (www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com)) and have moved the site over.

Great stuff, just went there and bookmarked it!
Just as a side note you should know that when you go to bookmark it it say's "home" and not Backwoodsdaydreamer. Not too big a deal as I just changed the title before I saved it too my bookmarks, but some might get confused when they save it and don't know which one it is!

sclittlefield
04-29-2010, 16:23
Great stuff, just went there and bookmarked it!
Just as a side note you should know that when you go to bookmark it it say's "home" and not Backwoodsdaydreamer. Not too big a deal as I just changed the title before I saved it too my bookmarks, but some might get confused when they save it and don't know which one it is!

I saw that... I just haven't the website understanding to change it properly. I can change the name of the Home Page, but it changes the Link name as well. Anyone know how to go about it?

Thanks Cranky Bear

BrianWillan
04-29-2010, 17:42
I saw that... I just haven't the website understanding to change it properly. I can change the name of the Home Page, but it changes the Link name as well. Anyone know how to go about it?

Thanks Cranky Bear

If you are editing the page directly with the html coding, there is a <title> tag that allows you to change what is shown at the top of the web browser as the pages change.

Cheers

Brian

thomas533
04-29-2010, 18:04

Thanks Cranky Bear

On my Webs.com site it automatically inserts the site name into the page title once it is published. On the Site Manager page your page will be named "Home" but then it should get renamed so that if you view the source code (Edit Menu > Source) the 4th line down should read:

<title>Backwoods Daydreamer - Home</title>

Where as it currently reads:

<title>Home</title>

This may have happened when you moved over to the custom domain name. A quick fix would be to change the title of your Home page to Backwoods Daydreamer but then that would also change how it appears in your Menu.

Either way, contact Webs.com tech support and let them know that this is happening.

Connie
05-02-2010, 01:02
In your browser, View > Source:

<!DOCTYPE HTML PUBLIC "-//W3C//DTD HTML 4.01//EN" "http://www.w3.org/TR/html4/strict.dtd">
<html>
<head>
<title>Home</title>

Use Notepad, whatever. SaveAs UTF-8 not ANSI or Unicode.

Upload to host to replace. Use Filezilla.

Maybe get a favicon for the Bookmarks and Tabs. I made mine. But I am not busy.

Hammock Forums has one.

sclittlefield
05-02-2010, 21:21
Thanks so much for the technical side of it - I'm at a loss when it comes to that stuff. It'll probably be a little bit, but I should be able to get it fixed up soon.

Thanks again.

On another note - the tarp tie-out lines came in this week and I'm working out an inexpensive system that will be available in the store when we get back "online". Test samples are being shipped this week for feedback.

JohnSawyer
05-05-2010, 23:21
Just an FYI to potential buyers: I bought 10 yards of the olive some time ago... I had to look for the gray stripes to find it...

I made a TQ and a single layer hammock from this material, and I'm very pleased...

I'm trying to convince the wife to let me buy more!

gdw
05-07-2010, 15:20
The olive drab fabric Scott's selling is really nice and a steal at that price. I've used it to make a down quilt and light jacket and haven't experienced any loss of down.

jdempsey
05-07-2010, 21:21
The olive fabric is extremely nice, but I don't think anybody is gonna miss the two sets of black lines running right down the center of it.

Not trying to detract from it, it's excellent fabric at an excellent price, of which I plan to buy much more.

Maybe my bolt was more obvious, NBD for me, but if it's all the same stuff, don't think it's necessary to be misleading about it. Anybody that's so uptight they need something absolutely "character-free" can go pay $8+/y somewhere else right?

Anyway, sorry for calling you out on this John, not trying to be rude, just don't want anybody getting angry for misunderstanding. Hope that's cool.

Just an FYI to potential buyers: I bought 10 yards of the olive some time ago... I had to look for the gray stripes to find it...

I made a TQ and a single layer hammock from this material, and I'm very pleased...

I'm trying to convince the wife to let me buy more!

sclittlefield
05-08-2010, 21:35
Thanks guys - and you're both right.

I hope I was clear enough in the description on the 2nds material - there are two lines.

On some rolls, it's really hard to see, on other rolls the lines are a bit more prominent. The lines are dark gray, about 4" apart, and about 1/32" thick. If you go to my webstore (http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1434183) page and click to expand the image posted on this material, scroll to the very bottom of the image and you can see the lines if you look close.

This material has been selling really fast, I'm nearly out. Going to have to order more on Monday.

saltminer
05-09-2010, 01:38
Scott
Is this something your going to have on a regular basis?

jeepcachr
05-10-2010, 07:42
I ordered some saturday night, 5 minutes later I got an order acknowledgement. Waiting in my inbox this morning was a shipping notification. That's some pretty great service. I'll post up when I receive it.

sclittlefield
05-10-2010, 14:28
Scott
Is this something your going to have on a regular basis?

Yes. I just sold through the last roll over the weekend, but should have two more rolls coming in tomorrow.

I ordered some saturday night, 5 minutes later I got an order acknowledgement. Waiting in my inbox this morning was a shipping notification. That's some pretty great service. I'll post up when I receive it.

Your package went out today. You should have it Wed or Thurs at the latest. :)

mitch
05-10-2010, 21:17
Just ordered 20 yards of olive, hope you have it in stock. Thanks for the great deal.:)

sclittlefield
05-10-2010, 21:33
Just ordered 20 yards of olive, hope you have it in stock. Thanks for the great deal.:)

Sold out over the weekend, but the new shipment should arrive tomorrow, Wed. at the latest. I'll ship asap when it arrives.

Thanks. :)

nairbboy23
05-13-2010, 16:08
Just like to say thanks Scott for great fabric at an even greater price. I received my 10 yards today. Now I get to spend some good quality time with my thread injector and get started making 2 summer "Green" down under quilts. My wife will be just loving the mess I will be making. I just have keep reminding her when she is all cozy in her hammock that IT WAS worth the mess.

silentorpheus
05-14-2010, 11:54
sent order/payment late tuesday night, got confirmation the next morning, and got the package this morning in the mail. Now if only my insulation had shipped as quick, I'd have a new UQ by the end of the weekend! ;)

Thanks. :thumbup:

the2nddeal
05-17-2010, 14:28
Ordered Thursday night and package was at the house at lunch today. Thanks for the quick turn-around.

sclittlefield
05-17-2010, 16:59
Just like to say thanks Scott for great fabric at an even greater price.

sent order/payment late tuesday night, got confirmation the next morning, and got the package this morning in the mail.
Thanks. :thumbup:

Ordered Thursday night and package was at the house at lunch today. Thanks for the quick turn-around.

Appreciate the feedback guys. Truthfully, USPS did most of the heavy lifting... :)

Also - I've got some samples coming in of 1.7oz uncoated ripstop nylon, 60" wide, gray. It's got a really soft hand, and should be ideal for hammocks. I hope to have some yardage in the store by early next week if all goes according to plan.

If shipping to me is what I expect it to be, I will be able to sell it for $3.15/yd. And I will continue to try to source more excellently priced fabric for our growing DIY community here.

Tarps aren't on the back burner either, it's just painfully slow trying to get things together for it.

Dalton
05-17-2010, 23:24
right on. ive been looking for places to get different color fabrics for the hammocks im going to be making, you know so the family doesnt all have the same one.
ill be sure to be picking up at least a few yards once you have it in.

Dalton
05-17-2010, 23:27
Nice.
im no longer a jr. member,
im a Member!:D
(sorry, as you were)

jdempsey
05-18-2010, 01:06
Dalton, keep in mind the fact that uncoated nylon isn't that hard to dye.

It's just the coated stuff that's a pain. The grey Scott mentioned sounds like a perfect canvas for your family's pastel nightmare. ;)

Peace!

right on. ive been looking for places to get different color fabrics for the hammocks im going to be making, you know so the family doesnt all have the same one.
ill be sure to be picking up at least a few yards once you have it in.

Dalton
05-18-2010, 18:31
what do you use to dye nylon?
do you mean the dyeing will be a nightmare or the hammocks?:(

jdempsey
05-19-2010, 01:21
The hammocks! Sorry, just being facetious.

Here's a random link: http://www.pburch.net/dyeing/FAQ/nylon.shtml

You can use regular Rit dyes, the trick is finding the right temp of water, and keeping it there for a while, to really help fix the acid dye portion of the mix. I suggest using an old cooler as a dying vessel, to help retain temp. Might want to waste 1 packet of dye and test a small scrap of fabric with some real hot water, see how it reacts.

Using a straight up acid dye works better.

Dalton
05-20-2010, 19:22
just got the fabric in the mail, thanks alot scott. the camo looks great, cant wait to make a hammock out of it!

sclittlefield
05-21-2010, 19:57
Its exciting to see all the projects you all are doing with this stuff. I love DIY - it's what got me into hammock camping, and as importantly, HammockForums.net in the first place. :)

__________________________________________________ ______

Just wanted to let you know that there is a new fabric available for a limited time (or, more accurately, a limited yardage). It will be in the webstore later tonight, but wanted to post for you all first.

30D (1.1oz) Woodland Camo Ripstop Nylon - light Urethane coating. 62" wide. I would not call it waterproof, but it is certainly highly water resistant. It is downproof, and breathable enough to be acceptable for quilt shells. 1.1oz original weight, more like 1.4 w/coating. 100yds to sell, then it's gone.

$3.15/yd.

Dalton
05-21-2010, 21:30
agh!
dang it, i just got the 12 yards of woodland camo in the mail,
now im going to have to get more just in case i ever want to make a quilt in camo!
or rather, when i decide to make a quilt in camo,

the2nddeal
05-22-2010, 13:21
Last night I got my first chance to spend a night in the double layer hammock I made out of the olive material I bought from Scott. That material makes a GREAT hammock. It was much more comfortable than my Hennessy Expedition. I just ordered some more to make a single layer hammock and a quilt. Good stuff & great service.

Quack
05-26-2010, 15:59
Awesome thread (harr).

Do you have the 1.7oz uncoated ripstop nylon for sale yet? I've decided it's time to make a hammock and would much rather support a HF member than the local chain (that and your prices are amazing).

Mark

sclittlefield
05-26-2010, 16:19
Awesome thread (harr).

Do you have the 1.7oz uncoated ripstop nylon for sale yet? I've decided it's time to make a hammock and would much rather support a HF member than the local chain (that and your prices are amazing).

Mark

Thanks Mark.

Unfortunately I'm having a bit of trouble on that end. Manufacturer is being a bit unresponsive. I'm going to give them a call tomorrow and talk to as many people over there as I can to get it taken care of.

I still have high hopes though. Price will be similar to the other fabrics I have for sale.

Also going to have mosquito netting shortly - samples coming in from multiple vendors this week.

Thanks for your support!

Oh, and yes... I got the joke. :laugh:

Quack
05-26-2010, 18:14
Cool. I don't have a dire need for the fabric so i can wait until/if you get some.

jdempsey
05-29-2010, 02:07
For those that may be curious, check my gallery for a pic of a dye job I did on the olive fabric, and also some of the last couple of down TQs I've made using it.

;)

Thanks again to Scott for the hookup.

ncffp163
06-17-2010, 23:02
Scott,

Anything new on the 1.7 oz fabric yet?

Eric

sclittlefield
06-18-2010, 12:44
Scott,

Anything new on the 1.7 oz fabric yet?

Eric

Yes. The 1.5oz (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18731) is replacing the intended 1.6/1.7oz material. I may still work on sourcing some down the road, but for the time being, I'll be trying to keep the 1.5 in stock.

There is a new listing for available fabrics in this new thread (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=18731). Consider this thread retired.

Thanks Eric.