PDA

View Full Version : Remember the Monkies? Well I'm a believer!

MedicineMan
04-26-2010, 22:17
I kept asking what is this Insultex stuff? Took the gamble, and this weekend used Mac's MacIX while paddle camping in the Smoky's.
Let me preface by saying I'm a COLD sleeper. The first night I fell asleep and slept soundly with only the single layer MacIX under me. I slept until 0400 and woke up a bit chilly-not cold but feeling the differential. It was 46F and I added a second layer under my torso. The second night I fully deployed the hammock sock from HF member Unsponsored but the second night was much warmer and I slept until the storm hit in only my camp cloths (thermawrap pants, fleece top) with the MacIX below.
The MacIX delivered to me weighs 4.4 ounces! As delivered to me it is the perfect summer UQ, with a second layer of Insultex I can see spring and fall added in, a 3rd layer and down will get a run for the money :)
For paddle camping the synthetic nature speaks for itself.
I def. think Mac has got something here.

grakker
04-26-2010, 22:31
Thanks for the review. I let Mac know that an order is coming with my next paycheck!

TOB9595
04-26-2010, 22:32
MacIxQuilt is really something.
I an looking forward to seeing how this all turns out.
I think it will surpass my expectations.

Good vid of your trip

Tom

MAD777
04-27-2010, 19:23
How are these quilts at compressibility compared with a down quilt with similar temperature ratings?

trigger hurt
04-27-2010, 19:27
I can't speak from personal experience by holding one in my hand, but I saw one at hot springs this past weekend. From the looks of it, a single layer packs down small. I've been talking to Mac about maybe making a modular system for my BMBH and he says 1 layer would pack down to about a liter for a full-length bridge UQ.

SGT Rock
04-27-2010, 19:29
I'm looking forward to getting out and using mine. I only hope it works ;)

TeeDee
04-27-2010, 19:40
How are these quilts at compressibility compared with a down quilt with similar temperature ratings?

I don't have any temperature rating for Insultex, but here are my Bridge under quilts and top quilts, down and Insultex for comparison. The Insultex quilts are 3 layer and the down uses Ed's 900 fp and have 5" to 5.5" of loft. All in same size JRB stuff sacks.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/2/6/down.insultex.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=8858&c=member&orderby=title&direction=ASC&imageuser=226&cutoffdate=-1)

I used shell fabric on both sides of the Insultex. If made like Mac is doing without the shell, it would pack down even smaller and be lighter.

MacEntyre
04-27-2010, 19:49
Thank you for the kind words, MedicineMan! I'm glad it worked for you.

Folks, he's not kidding when he says he's a cold sleeper. At UWharrie, he must have had double the clothes and insulation of the next coldest sleeper there. Still, the IX that he used is the same amount that I have used in those temps.

- MacEntyre

dejoha
04-27-2010, 20:40
Awesome! Thanks for the report. I can't wait to get mine!!

pedro
04-27-2010, 20:55
Roger that! I am eagerly anticipating the arrival of mine. I am also a very cold sleeper, and Mac's IX UC promises to be a big help.

kayak karl
04-27-2010, 21:00
the monkeys i still have their 45's LOL i met davey and micky when they toured as MONEY :)

Bleemus
04-27-2010, 21:41
I can't speak from personal experience by holding one in my hand, but I saw one at hot springs this past weekend. From the looks of it, a single layer packs down small. I've been talking to Mac about maybe making a modular system for my BMBH and he says 1 layer would pack down to about a liter for a full-length bridge UQ.

Why not just cut a 26 inch wide piece of it and slid it in the pad pocket of the Bridge. I do this with GG Thinlite and it rocks!

pedro
04-27-2010, 22:11
Why not just cut a 26 inch wide piece of it and slid it in the pad pocket of the Bridge. I do this with GG Thinlite and it rocks!

Apparently IX does not work like a pad. A small gap makes for a dramatic increase in insulation.

MedicineMan
04-28-2010, 20:14
Leaving in 8 days for CT MA, the MacIX is packed. Being paranoid like I am the 3sYeti is packed too. The MacIX will be my insurance policy (noticed that Vermont got 1 foot of snow yesterday).

BillyBob58
04-28-2010, 21:53
Leaving in 8 days for CT MA, the MacIX is packed. Being paranoid like I am the 3sYeti is packed too. The MacIX will be my insurance policy (noticed that Vermont got 1 foot of snow yesterday).

Looking forward to that trip report. Hope it is cold enough to put your gear to the test.

I have not been having quite as much luck with my 2 layer (for the HHSS in my case) as most of y'all have, yet. But I still have high hopes as I continue to experiment. I have sent mine back for some improvements like "InsulTubes". MacEntyre seems to think they help a lot. But even the performance so far, if not up to what some others are doing, with out insulTubes, is still worth while considering weight, bulk, expense and wind/water resistance.

And I originally intended it as an improved way to augment the HH SS, PeaPod, etc. So the other night I was not quite warm enough with 2 layers on my back (legs and feet were plenty warm). I pushed it off to the side and pulled on my WB torso with 1 layer of 2.5 oz Climashield. That was warm enough, an improvement if not toasty, but with no leg pad now my legs and feet were cold. So, I put the IX between the torso UQ and hammock. Now, that was sweet. My legs and feet were now toasty again. (In fact, I was concerned my feet were starting to sweat inside my Golight TQ). But I expected no benefit in the torso due to the snug fit of the WBUQ pushing the IX into my back. But i was wrong. Now I was toasty head to toe, and passed right out.

I've got a ways to go on the IX learning curve, but it shows a lot of promise.

trigger hurt
04-28-2010, 23:58
Apparently IX does not work like a pad. A small gap makes for a dramatic increase in insulation.

That, and because it's easier to make the system modular by suspending it under the hammock. I get the feeling the stuff isn't nearly as stiff as thinlight pad.

MacEntyre
04-29-2010, 05:25
...get the feeling the stuff isn't nearly as stiff as thinlight pad.
You would not call it stiff at all. It cannot support it's own weight, and it has no weight!