PDA

View Full Version : DIY top quilt

gunn parker
08-23-2007, 21:49
Hi All
One of the stores here has a sale on and they have a 23.00 F bag for AUD$25 and I thought for that amount of money I could cut it up and make a top quilt out of it.
Would this be a good way to go?
Gunn

FanaticFringer
08-23-2007, 22:10
Hi All
One of the stores here has a sale on and they have a 23.00 F bag for AUD$25 and I thought for that amount of money I could cut it up and make a top quilt out of it.
Would this be a good way to go?
Gunn

That would work. How much does it weigh? I cut the zipper off of my 50 degree Sportsmans Guide bag and wala....instant top quilt with foot box.

gunn parker
08-23-2007, 22:41
The camper version comes in at 3.31 lbs (1.5kg) a bit heavy perhaps?
Blaxland (http://www.rangeroutdoors.com.au/product.php?pid=8)

Peter_pan
08-24-2007, 07:57
The camper version comes in at 3.31 lbs (1.5kg) a bit heavy perhaps?
Blaxland (http://www.rangeroutdoors.com.au/product.php?pid=8)

Minus a zipper it will probably be a pound or so heavier than available comparable quilts...

Pan

Shadowmoss
08-24-2007, 08:05
Considering the cost of retail quilts plus shipping to you, I guess it comes down to price/convenience/weight and how much each matter to you.

gunn parker
08-24-2007, 08:19
Considering the cost of retail quilts plus shipping to you, I guess it comes down to price/convenience/weight and how much each matter to you.
Yes thats right, I had a look at buying down from Ed Speer and without the postage cost the price was way over the top, but thats just our exchange rate, nothing against Ed.

Doctari
08-24-2007, 10:18
I took my old sleeping bag & using a serger (specailized sewing machine: Look at the inside of the front pockets on your man's pants [Levi jeans for sure], that stich was made by a serger) I cut off the zipper, tested over night, then cut off about 4 inches more, then tested, etc. I think all in all about 19 - 20" was removed. I'll likely make a Ray Way quilt sometimes this winter, but the sleeping bag into a quilt has worked so far. I did leave a sort of foot pocket, which wasn't hard using a full mummy bag, I just cut a little below the bottom of the zipper, & there you go.

Doctari.

Take-a-knee
09-24-2007, 22:26
I plan to do the same thing with a Mountain Hardware down bag I picked up really cheap ($70). I've already made a Ray-way quilt and using his directions my finished quilt wound up about 48in wide (I'm 5'8"/170#). I find this wider than necessary for a hammock.

wamyteipen
09-24-2007, 23:00
I've considered doing this with my NF Beeline 900 but haven't gotten up the guts yet. It's really too narrow a bag for me anyway but I sure did pay a pretty penny for it. It would suck to ruin it. In my head it doesn't sound like too complicated a job. Just run a stitch down the back then back up an inch apart then cut between the stitches, reinforce the split, and roll the hems. Does that sound like it would work? There's no zipper on the Beeline so I wouldn't have to deal with that.

Just Jeff
09-25-2007, 15:57
Running a long stitch down a bag with no zipper might be a problem b/c it would bunch up at the machine.

wamyteipen
09-25-2007, 20:28
Yeah, I thought about that. Perhaps if I did a few feet then cut and repeat.

Redtail
09-25-2007, 21:23
Yeah, I thought about that. Perhaps if I did a few feet then cut and repeat.
You could tack down the area with some quilt loops or a basting stitch. Or you could try just shaking the down away from the area you are sewing.

Kiwidad
09-25-2007, 21:46
I've been using a bit of polarfleece with a foot pocket to keep it where it should. Can be a bit bulky but is fairly light. Mind you I'm in moderate temps.