PDA

View Full Version : Almost done!!!

blackbishop351
11-01-2006, 17:31
I've just about got my tarp done! I've attached the first pic...

I'm calling it the Black Cat :D I think it's appropriate...

ShakeyLeggs
11-01-2006, 17:55
Very nice. Watch out and you may give Brian a run for his money now that he has shut down production until he gets thru his first semester.

If I didn't have a MacCat I would definately want one of those. Well heck might be a good idea to post the pattern somewhere.

headchange4u
11-01-2006, 18:15
Nice!:D

I like the black. What is the size? I also think you should post the pattern.;)

Arkwater
11-01-2006, 18:43
Very nice! How about some specs?

Just Jeff
11-01-2006, 20:34
Great looking tarp. What do you mean "almost done" - it looks finished to me. Unless you're gonna put a batman logo on there or something... :D

Looks like a catenary ridgeline, too. Did you use your fancy math programs to generate the curves?

blackbishop351
11-01-2006, 20:37
I used the $4/yd. sil from Ed Speer, which worked out great - I got 8 yds., and it turned out to be 5.5' wide. Overall size is then 12' long by 11' wide (before hemming), a little bigger than the MacCat Deluxe.

I wrote my own routine for generating cat curves - the one Youngblood has on Yahoo isn't quite accurate. All six edges are cat cut. I calculated the edge lengths so they'd all be the same - that way I only had to make one cat pattern.

I used 1.9 oz. ripstop from Walmart for the corner reinforcements. The triangles turned out to be 12" wide, 6" high, with the tie-outs opposite the 12" side. Tie-outs are 3/4" nylon webbing that I had sitting around from a pack demo job.

I haven't actually weighed it yet, so I'll have to get that on here when I can. I'll see what I can do about a pattern, too. I'm planning on putting directions up when I get time - I've got two GRE exams coming up in the next week.

blackbishop351
11-01-2006, 20:41
Great looking tarp. What do you mean "almost done" - it looks finished to me. Unless you're gonna put a batman logo on there or something... :D

Looks like a catenary ridgeline, too. Did you use your fancy math programs to generate the curves?

Nah, the ridge isn't catenary, I just can't sew straight on a really long seam like that :D But it worked well, as it turns out; the curve in the seam helps take up some of the slack I think.

"Almost done" means I'm still working out some tension distribution issues with the corner reinforcements. Because the attachment points are narrow, the tension is pulling almost straight into the tarp, and not tightening the edges as much as I'd like. The result is that, while the tarp body is nice and taut, the edges have a little sag in them. I figured out how to fix it today, but it'll take a little more sewing to get it done.

attroll
11-01-2006, 20:53
Just let me know when I can place my order to you.

blackbishop351
11-01-2006, 23:41

LMAO!!!

I've only got about $35 worth of material in it, but it took a LONG TIME to get all the cutting and sewing done....

ShakeyLeggs
11-01-2006, 23:52
Very nice. Watch out and you may give Brian a run for his money, now that he has shut down production until he gets thru his first semester.

If I didn't have a MacCat I would definately want one of those. Well heck might be a good idea to post the pattern somewhere.

Like I said watch out Brian. :D:D

Certain
11-02-2006, 09:28
I used the $4/yd. sil from Ed Speer, which worked out great - I got 8 yds., and it turned out to be 5.5' wide. Overall size is then 12' long by 11' wide (before hemming), a little bigger than the MacCat Deluxe.

I wrote my own routine for generating cat curves - the one Youngblood has on Yahoo isn't quite accurate. All six edges are cat cut. I calculated the edge lengths so they'd all be the same - that way I only had to make one cat pattern.

I used 1.9 oz. ripstop from Walmart for the corner reinforcements. The triangles turned out to be 12" wide, 6" high, with the tie-outs opposite the 12" side. Tie-outs are 3/4" nylon webbing that I had sitting around from a pack demo job.

I haven't actually weighed it yet, so I'll have to get that on here when I can. I'll see what I can do about a pattern, too. I'm planning on putting directions up when I get time - I've got two GRE exams coming up in the next week.

You mean people with piercings are smart too!
:eek: :p

blackbishop351
11-02-2006, 12:44
You mean people with piercings are smart too!
:eek: :p

I suppose we do have our moments, don't we? :cool:

blackbishop351
11-02-2006, 13:19
Here's some more pix - These came out a little better, with more light.

The third pic shows the corner tension issues I'm having, and the fourth shows my solution...well....most of my solution anyway. It'll be a few days before I can add this stitching to the rest of the corners, though.

Coffee
11-02-2006, 13:45
Pics look good. I came up with something talking to my grandma about sewing. On my hammock I ironed the seams. Before I was taping them and trying to get everything lined up. Ironing them made a crease that did not need taping. I did it on ripstop. It may work the same on sil-nylon. Just don't do it too long or you will melt the fabric or the silicon treatment.

Just Jeff
11-02-2006, 15:01
Looks like the angle where your stake is tied out might have solved a lot of the wrinkle issue on the corner. At least according to those two pics.

But if that's the only wrinkle in your tarp, I'd consider it a success. Looks great.

Touch of Grey
11-02-2006, 17:08
Just as a thought you might consider next time instead of bisecting the angle with the strap consider sewwing one leg along one leg of the angle and the other leg of strap along the other angle. This way instead of pulling the center of the angle and creating issues it should distrubute the forces more along the edges which are reinforced anyhow or could be with gros-grain ribbon. If you need a picture I am sure I can muddle something together .

Just a thought! While I am not a structural engineer, I did study Architecture back in the 70's and finished a degree in EE a few years ago before I retired last January.

Nice Job otherwise!

TOG

blackbishop351
11-02-2006, 17:45
Just as a thought you might consider next time instead of bisecting the angle with the strap consider sewwing one leg along one leg of the angle and the other leg of strap along the other angle. This way instead of pulling the center of the angle and creating issues it should distrubute the forces more along the edges which are reinforced anyhow or could be with gros-grain ribbon. If you need a picture I am sure I can muddle something together .

Just a thought! While I am not a structural engineer, I did study Architecture back in the 70's and finished a degree in EE a few years ago before I retired last January.

Nice Job otherwise!

TOG

I did think about that, actually. The only problem is that the stitches would only go through one layer of webbing. I was afraid this would put too much stress on the tarp fabric.

I suppose a guy could use TWO pieces of webbing on each corner, one on top, one on the bottom, and sew through both layers. That'd probably be a mess at the guyline attachment point, though, as well as heavier than I'd like. I thought about doing the same thing with cord, but I liked the idea of a nice wide box stitch on the webbing instead of a small point of attachment for a piece of cord.

Who knows....there's tons of ways of doing anything, really :D

The additional stitching across the reinforcements (fourth pic, above) is definitely taking care of the problem, though. So I'll finish that out on the other corners when I can, and let everybody know how it turns out.

slowhike
11-02-2006, 20:44
[QUOTE=blackbishop351;1130]I did think about that, actually. The only problem is that the stitches would only go through one layer of webbing. I was afraid this would put too much stress on the tarp fabric.
Who knows....there's tons of ways of doing anything, really :D

.i sewed the corner tie-outs on my ray way type tarp in a criss-cross like that, using gross grain ribbon (even lighter than webbing) & have used it over a year w/ no stress problems that i can see.
i belive "touch of greay" is right... it pulls both edges.
also, on the last tarp i made, i used the corner pocket idea for storing the guy-lines like on the HH hex tarp. i just left most of the side of the triangle facing the center of the tarp unsewed. and i used untreated rip-stop for the corner re-enforcement/pockets so water will drain & dry.
works great... i like it.
BTW...nice looking tarp. i have some of the black nylon that i got from ed too, but haven`t done anything w/ it yet.
it makes a good stelth tarp. ...tim

Jazilla
11-03-2006, 08:42
I like the design. I have the SG 9x9 and love it, but I have been looking at the MacCat for a couple of weeks. I like the extra coverage it looks to give instead of the diamond shape of the 9x9. When you get ready to start the sales let me know.

Brian
11-05-2006, 09:31
BB - Very nice and taught tarp! I am impressed that you got the 1.9oz fabric that tight. Have you seam sealed it yet? Do yourself a favor and make sure the sealer you buy is relatively new; you don't want to ruin that good looking tarp with an old and ineffective bottle of sealant!

Brian
OES

blackbishop351
11-05-2006, 11:06
BB - Very nice and taught tarp! I am impressed that you got the 1.9oz fabric that tight. Have you seam sealed it yet? Do yourself a favor and make sure the sealer you buy is relatively new; you don't want to ruin that good looking tarp with an old and ineffective bottle of sealant!

Brian
OES

LOL I hoped you'd notice! I also hoped you wouldn't be offended at my obvious copy! They do say, however, that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...very true in this case! I thought about this for a LONG time, and I couldn't come up with any improvements on your design...

The corner reinforcements were the hardest part, and to be honest, the 1.9 oz. STILL isn't as tight as I'd like. But it works. As far as sealant, I'll be using a thinned silicon caulk, I think. Seems to have worked well for quite a number of people in the past. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the compliments! It really means a lot, especially coming from you! Hope school's going great, too!

And oh yeah, I think I saw this somewhere....Happy B-day!

Brian
11-05-2006, 17:36
LOL I hoped you'd notice! I also hoped you wouldn't be offended at my obvious copy! They do say, however, that imitation is the sincerest form of flattery...very true in this case! I thought about this for a LONG time, and I couldn't come up with any improvements on your design...

The corner reinforcements were the hardest part, and to be honest, the 1.9 oz. STILL isn't as tight as I'd like. But it works. As far as sealant, I'll be using a thinned silicon caulk, I think. Seems to have worked well for quite a number of people in the past. Any other suggestions?

Thanks for the compliments! It really means a lot, especially coming from you! Hope school's going great, too!

And oh yeah, I think I saw this somewhere....Happy B-day!

Keeping the 1.9oz tight probably compounds any slight design glitches that may not have appeared in sil-nylon. However slight these may be, the extra weight probably adds quite a bit of strain to the tarp.

The reason I asked about the fabric is because I thought that the fabric had a PU coating, not a sil one. Sorry for the ignorance, but did you get 1.9oz silicone coated/impregnated fabric, or is it urethane coated? If the latter, silicone caulk won't stick, you need to get a bottle of urethane sealant. The same is true for PU sealer not sticking to silicone impregnated fabrics. Make sure, no matter what sealer you use, that you test it before hand on some scraps to make sure it adheres well. Give it a good 24+ hours to make sure it fully cures and sticks.

The corner patches are the hardest part, and adding more lines of stitching as you did will help spread the stress out. At this point, if you still need to spread some of the stress out (if it is worrying you out in the field, but with the 1.9oz fabric I don't think it should be a problem), try putting a little bit of sheathing around the perimeter of the tarp for maybe a foot in either direction. You probably won't need that, due to the heavier nature of the fabric, though.

School is going great - it's a shame that the whole studying thing actually works, that means that the next 4\5 years are going to be a lot of work:p

Thanks for the birthday wish too! I can remember getting emails from people about my tarps on my 16th birthday, wow how time flies!

Brian
OES

blackbishop351
11-05-2006, 20:05
The body of the tarp is 1.3 oz. silnylon from Ed Speer, so I think silicon caulk sealant should work...the corner reinforcements are 1.9 oz. ripstop from Walmart. I think it's got some kind of coating (not sure, really), but I'm not sealing them so I'm not too worried.

I'm getting a little tired of school myself, actually. I just took the physics GRE yesterday morning. I'm almost done with undergrad, but that just means 5 more years for me. :(

Coffee
11-06-2006, 14:44
I'm getting a little tired of school myself, actually. I just took the physics GRE yesterday morning. I'm almost done with undergrad, but that just means 5 more years for me. :(

Come on, grad school is great. I am almost done with my master's. Unfortunatly it took 4+ year's (don't ask long story in a demanding program). But it now allows me to take time off hear and there for side trips.

Miguel
11-06-2006, 14:58
Come on, grad school is great. I am almost done with my master's. Unfortunatly it took 4+ year's (don't ask long story in a demanding program). But it now allows me to take time off hear and there for side trips.

How about 11 years for a Bachelor's....stick-to-it-iveness..that's what I'm talkin' about...a mere five years for the Master's.

Miguel

Coffee
11-06-2006, 15:16
5 years has actually worked out pretty well for me. If I would have gotten done in 2 or 3 years, the circumstances that got me back into hiking might not have happened. I definitly would not be planning an AT thru for next year.

It all somehow works out in the end.

Just Jeff
11-06-2006, 15:54
18 months for me....not engineering, and I'm stuck on a schedule b/c the military is paying for it. I'm kicking myself to get my thesis done right now...supposed to have the final rough draft to my advisor by next Wednesday. Pit in my stomach...hoping it's ready.

But the title of this thread is "Almost Done" so we're still on topic... :D

Aramis
11-06-2006, 18:00
lol - I have an essay due on Friday, another one the week after and an exam the week after that. I spent all day yesterday playing Starcraft. If procrastination ever becomes an Olympic sport I'll be in the medals for sure :)

Over the years I've tried every possible approach to study except actually going to lectures and doing the work. I haven't found the magic formula yet.

blackbishop351
11-06-2006, 18:51
I'm going to spend my last semester as an undergrad investigating the effectiveness of alcoholism as a coping mechanism :D I'm convinced grad school would be a LOT easier that way....

And I've only got 5 years PERIOD...I'm doing the doctoral track thing. Of course, I'll go from there to teaching/research, so I'll really still be in school...

Coffee
11-06-2006, 19:16
Actually I drank more the first year or so of grad school than I ever did in undergrad. 3 graduate level engineering courses and lots of nights out. Somehow I still got the grades. I think the harder you study, the harder you need to play.

blackbishop351
11-06-2006, 19:20
I've been drinking a fair amount for the last year or so....but I don't go out. I sit and drink beer and work E&M or QM problems. I know, I know....you don't have to say it :eek:

Coffee
11-06-2006, 19:35
It's the only way to get through that hard classes. Your brain needs a release. Some of the biggest partiers I knew where engineers, science, or design majors.

Just Jeff
11-06-2006, 22:32
Procrastination is good time management - if you put it off 'till the last minute, it only takes a minute to do. Otherwise, I'd spend days on it!

If it weren't for the last minute, nothing would get done.

Except for hammocks.

blackbishop351
11-06-2006, 23:46
That's why I drink, I think....I like physics too much to procrastinate properly, unless I'm lit :D

Aramis
11-07-2006, 01:07
My motto is "Why put off until tomorrow what you can get away with never doing at all" :)

I suspect that my problem stems from always having found it really easy to pass. Someone once told me that "51% is too much, and 49% is not enough." Another gem that a doctor once told me: "Never allow uni to interfere with your social life". If I can consistently pass with a few days (or hours) of strategic cramming before essays and exams, then why do any more?

Of course, an efficient 'purge' afterwards is very important - usually courtesy of a couple of dozen beers (get this crap out of my head!). It's like hitting the reboot button on a computer - it clears the cache and frees up some memory.

Brian
11-07-2006, 01:19
Hmm, I'm liking undergrad more and more from the comments!:p Although at this point, I am trying to decide whether or not to try and go for the "Take-5" program I want. U of Rochester has an awsome program that lets you come back for a 5th year tuition free, but the only catch is that you can't study anything related to your major.

Part of the reason that I went to UofR was for the music program (Eastman School of Music), and I think that doing a Take5 for music performance would be awsome. Now if I can get myself to be dedicated enough to do it in a foriegn, non-english speaking country (Berlin, anyone?):eek:

But for now, calc, physics and chem are the issues at hand. Argg.

Brian
OES

blackbishop351
11-07-2006, 01:46
Hmm, I'm liking undergrad more and more from the comments!:p Although at this point, I am trying to decide whether or not to try and go for the "Take-5" program I want. U of Rochester has an awsome program that lets you come back for a 5th year tuition free, but the only catch is that you can't study anything related to your major.

Part of the reason that I went to UofR was for the music program (Eastman School of Music), and I think that doing a Take5 for music performance would be awsome. Now if I can get myself to be dedicated enough to do it in a foriegn, non-english speaking country (Berlin, anyone?):eek:

But for now, calc, physics and chem are the issues at hand. Argg.

Brian
OES

Hey I'll make a deal with ya :D You come take the fine arts crap I gotta get through next semester and I'll get you A's in all your science and math!

Just Jeff
11-07-2006, 09:35
Hey Brian - I like the new sig...

titanium_hiker
11-08-2006, 05:05
ha! I'm done done done for the year- and I don't have to get back till March. Summer is coming! And that means lots of hammock play time. yay!

titanium_hiker

Just Jeff
11-08-2006, 06:44
Silly Aussies - even the seasons are backwards!

blackbishop351
11-29-2006, 01:59
I weighed the BlackCat tonight on the scale at the post office. Came in at 13.6 oz. without tie-out lines.

I still have a LITTLE bit of stitching to finish, plus seam sealing, so those aren't included in the weight. I can't imagine they'll add much, though. I expect it'll end up around 13.8 oz., the same weight as Brian's Deluxe model.

Not bad, considering the BlackCat is a foot longer and two feet wider than the Deluxe. Of course, I didn't use the really nice grosgrain trim or the Kevlar corner reinforcements that Brian does, either. But I'm happy with it!

jellyfish
02-25-2017, 13:13
I have gone back in time 10 years to see your setup. Very nice. :)

blackbishop351
02-25-2017, 13:32
I have gone back in time 10 years to see your setup. Very nice. :)

Egads, this brings back memories. Yeah, this was the first tarp I ever made. Out of at least 30. I think I gave this one away to someone....

jellyfish
02-25-2017, 13:38
I should have put cat cuts on my ridgeline. Next time, when I make my hex tarp, I am doing it.

blackbishop351
02-25-2017, 13:55
I should have put cat cuts on my ridgeline. Next time, when I make my hex tarp, I am doing it.

IMO it's not necessary. I've done both and not seen any real difference in weight or pitch.

I have a worry in the back of my mind about the cat cut actually weakening the ridge seam's ability to handle tension, honestly. I'm sure someone has done definitive work on that by now, though.

jellyfish
02-25-2017, 14:06
Interesting theory.

But it looks so cool!

slugbait
02-26-2017, 11:36
My first tarp had a cat cut ridgeline. It was unintentional- due to a cutting mistake. I found I didn't like it because it reduced head room under the tarp ( I'm 5'3" and can't reach up very high to pitch the tarp higher). My next tarp has a straight ridgeline and I'm happy with it.

jellyfish
02-26-2017, 11:40
My first tarp had a cat cut ridgeline. It was unintentional- due to a cutting mistake. I found I didn't like it because it reduced head room under the tarp ( I'm 5'3" and can't reach up very high to pitch the tarp higher). My next tarp has a straight ridgeline and I'm happy with it.

That is a good point!

Convenience vs looks
Space vs looks
Strength vs looks

Seems like the hot appearance has too many downsides. Alas