PDA

View Full Version : Dutch Clip/Tree strap question

Bakeel
05-01-2010, 12:43
So after trying to hang on whoopies/strap style suspension this Friday night and failing. Not due to equipment error, but to user error. I attached my whoopies to the hammock incorrectly. <face palm>

After looking at some pics and talking with Paul at AHE, I figured out what I had done. I used the 1'' fixed end that is for adjustment purposes to attach to my BB not the 6'' fixed end. I was able to lay in the hammock with all my errors but was not willing to try and sleep that way all night as I could not adjust the suspension properly.

However even with my installation error, Kayakkarl and I began to brainstorm and ponder some possibilities for the Dutch clip/strap part of the suspension.

Here is a standard Dutch Clip on the end of a tree strap.
http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/mjas2992/hammock%20suspension/DSC01287.jpg

Now this is what I am thinking about for a modification so that the every sought after Dutch clip can't be lost.

http://i197.photobucket.com/albums/aa248/mjas2992/hammock%20suspension/Modifieddutchclip.jpg

I am thinking that if you drilled the Dutch Clip, pass some Zing it through the hole, tie a keeper knot to keep the clip from falling off. Take the free end of the zing it/lash it and tie it through the fixed loop of the tree strap.

Karl had suggested that you could sew a line of stitches in the loop next to the Dutch Clip to keep it in place.

So here are my questions to the more experienced hammockers out there.

1. Would it comprise the strength of the clip to drill a small hole through it?

2. If drilling is ok would you drill or sew?

3. On a some what related topic do you think it is ok to girth hitch the none clip end of your tree strap to your whoopie sling thus eliminating the need for a toggle?

I welcome the debate and insight.

Dutch
05-01-2010, 12:59
Drilling is fine however I would definately sew it. It is much easier and works perfectly as long an you are somewhat close to the clip. I just put a stitch on by hand sewing. If you do sew it you should keep the hole as small as possible and round the edges. You will also have voided your warrantee.:D

gargoyle
05-01-2010, 13:01
Just hand stitch a short row tight to Dutch Clip, prevents it from falling off, from my experience. Drilling is just giving it somewhere to break.
I did 4-5 pass thru's with the needle and thread, doesn't take much, and easy to remove and transfer to different straps.

Shug
05-01-2010, 13:04
Instead of stitching I use a very thin piece of Gorilla Tape.

BER
05-01-2010, 13:44
A small rubber band on the tree strap close to the Dutch clip also works.

canoeski
05-01-2010, 13:58
I too just put a rubber band on it 3 months ago. Still working fine, but will probably replace as they are not UV resistant. A little dental floss would do in a pinch. (I use it as heavy duty backwoods sewing material. Sort of like modern sinew. )

Dutch
05-01-2010, 14:22
drills? tape? rubberbands? Gorillas???? This is crazytalk. Go get a sewing kit from the dollar store and put in just a stitch or two. You can say it is the first thing you sewn. Really Shug people look up to you. Stop clowning around and tell them that you sew it too.

Shug
05-01-2010, 14:58
drills? tape? rubberbands? Gorillas???? This is crazytalk. Go get a sewing kit from the dollar store and put in just a stitch or two. You can say it is the first thing you sewn. Really Shug people look up to you. Stop clowning around and tell them that you sew it too.
I never claimed to be a sewing DIY Role Model ....... just a Model!
My plan is to get folks to look down on me. Seems to be workin' ))))))

JayS
05-01-2010, 15:14
I sew my Dutch Clips with the thread injector. Just get the guide foot tight against the DC and give it a few stitches. Works like a charm. Never lost one.

Hand stitching works fine, too.

I vote for stitching over drilling but it's no biggy. Do what feels right.

Bakeel
05-01-2010, 17:15
Thank you all for the feedback. I am thinking I am going to sew it. I have sewn before, and it looks like I shall sew again. I have to say I like the rubber band/dental floss idea as well.

Also for the record no Dutch clips have been harmed in the making of this thread.

BER
05-01-2010, 17:19
The only drawback to stitching (other than having to stitch to begin with) is the need to rip out the stitches or cut the strap should you need to change straps for some reason. Not likely to be a frequent issue though.