PDA

View Full Version : down or fiber in hammock?

demeza
05-03-2010, 10:04
Hi

Any expierence with down-sleepingbags in hammocks? Will a fiber-sleeping bag do better or dosent it matter? Just thinking if the down gets flat/compressed it dosent work as good.

What kind of fill do you guys use?

best regards
Peter

sclittlefield
05-03-2010, 10:11
Unfortunately, neither works well. Synthetic (fiber) will work better, but not well enough for all but the warmest nights.

A CCF (closed-cell foam) pad will do the trick, and while not the most comfortable option, it is very inexpensive and works well.

An underquilt is the ideal choice (in my opinion), as it is pulled up against the underside of your hammock - so you're not laying on it and it retains its full loft. Either synthetic or down works great in this application.

beep
05-03-2010, 10:13
Hi

Any expierence with down-sleepingbags in hammocks? Will a fiber-sleeping bag do better or dosent it matter? Just thinking if the down gets flat/compressed it dosent work as good.

What kind of fill do you guys use?

best regards
Peter

I don't think it really matters. Whatever is underneath you inside the hammock (other than a traditional sleeping pad) is compressed and offers little to no insulation. Down's primary advantages are (1) lighter weight for a given temperature rating, (2) more compressibility to take up less pack real estate/volume when packed and (3) longevity. Any synthetic (that I'm aware of) loses noticeable amounts of loft after repeated compression from packing. Down loses almost no loft if properly stored and cared for (periodic cleaning).

I've seen "good" synthetic bags that lose around half of their loft after 40 days of packing/unpacking usage. While there may be improvements in the insulation technology, the loss of loft is still an issue with repetitive packing.

Nevertheless, both down and synthetic UQs are very effective bottom insulation.

Festus Hagen
05-03-2010, 10:29
Folks use both down and synthetic. Neither one really insulates very well when compressed, which is why folks tend to use either closed-cell foam pads or underquilts. I personally use synthetic as to date I've been too cheap to invest in good down stuff.

My general-purpose bag Eureka Casper (http://www.eurekatent.com/p-32-casper.aspx)

My winter backpacking bag EMS Boreal (http://www.ems.com/product/index.jsp?productId=3655877)

For car-camping only in stupid cold (sub-zero) temperatures Browning Kenai -30 (http://www.amazon.com/Browning-Kenai-30-degree-Oversized-sleeping/dp/B000B0ZO46) Coldest hang so far, -13F or -25C.

My UQ DD Underblanket (http://www.ddhammocks.com/products/underblankets/underblanket)

I like all of this gear, but honestly as my camping style transitions more from car camping and canoe trips to backpacking, I envision picking up a down sleeping bag and underquilt sooner than later. A Top Quilt would be even better except I'm just too active a sleeper to use a quilt (need to be zipped in). The weight and space savings going from synth to down are just too large to be ignored. Same with the UQ, I love the DD but it's just too big and bulky to pack out into the woods any distance...

For example, my next buy will likely be a 15F (-9C) rated bag in the best down I can afford. The first example I looked up, the Mountain Hardware Phantom 15, weighs 1lb 15 ounces, and odds-are it's probably more true to it's rating than my Eureka. The Eureka in size regular has a 2 lb 15 ounce carry weight.. a 1 pound difference is HUGE (Then again, so is the $300 dollar PLUS price difference!)

oldgringo
05-03-2010, 10:37
Randy had good results from a heavy military surplus bag. It's not for backpackers, and @ 6'x 230#, it's too snug for me, but the thread makes for good reading, and suggests some outside the box possibilities. Here:
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=13217&highlight=USGI

BillyBob58
05-03-2010, 10:46
Unfortunately, neither works well. Synthetic (fiber) will work better, but not well enough for all but the warmest nights.

A CCF (closed-cell foam) pad will do the trick, and while not the most comfortable option, it is very inexpensive and works well.

An underquilt is the ideal choice (in my opinion), as it is pulled up against the underside of your hammock - so you're not laying on it and it retains its full loft. Either synthetic or down works great in this application.

What he said. IMO, a PG bag ( the older and less compressible the version, the better) will definitely get you a few degrees of extra warmth on the bottom, but usually not enough. But it will decrease how much you need to add to the bottom, whether pad or quilt.

Of course, that assumes you will be using that bag, in the hammock, as a bag and not a quilt, which is a whole other discussion. Most folks don't do that, to much hassle and/or just not as comfortable.

demeza
09-12-2010, 13:48
Ok - thanks. Ill try my RAB down bag and Thermarest pro lite in colder conditions. If its too cold i might get a UQ, instead of a new fiber-bag. (If i can find a dealer in my country)