PDA

View Full Version : stuff sacks

Grinder
11-01-2006, 19:17
As I ease into hammocking, I am getting more amd more stuff sacks.

I got to wondering: Is it proper to just "stuff" the item back in the sack after use? (The merchandise is always cleverly folded and neatly inserted when you first get it.)

My Mummy bag has stood up to a year of stuffing with only one broken compression strap buckle when I got too enthusiastic.

Tom

Ewker
11-01-2006, 20:07
I stuff everything. There is a reason it is called a stuff sack:D

Just Jeff
11-01-2006, 20:30
Yep - just stick it all back in there. And you don't need to bring a separate sack for each item just b/c it came with one. You can stuff your hammock and quilt into the same sack if they're dry, or the HH and SS into the same sack even though each comes with its own, etc.

jlb2012
11-02-2006, 11:01
or you can stuff a lot of stuff into your hammock and wrap a Gearskin around it - that is what I do

Miguel
11-02-2006, 11:46
What's a "gearskin"?

Miguel

Just Jeff
11-02-2006, 12:02
Gearskin: http://www.moonbowgear.com/1trailgear/1Custom%20packs/custompacks.html

And Sgt Rock's review: http://hikinghq.net/gear/moonbow_gearskin.html

Ewker
12-03-2006, 19:38
any good sites with instructions for making stuff sacks?

headchange4u
12-03-2006, 21:03
This tutorial (http://thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=12&cid=5) is great. It pretty easy to make stuff sacks this way and it works great. These were some of the first sewing projects I attempted.

Arkwater
12-03-2006, 21:11
This tutorial (http://thru-hiker.com/workshop.asp?subcat=12&cid=5) is great. It pretty easy to make stuff sacks this way and it works great. These were some of the first sewing projects I attempted.

With one more line of stitching you can put a pull handle into the bottom of the design that headchange is referring to. If your interested I will try to post a pic this week.

headchange4u
12-03-2006, 21:27
I also skip the button hole step and install a grommet or I do my drawstring exit like this (sorry about the blurry pic):
http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/StuffSack002.jpg

Porkbutter
12-03-2006, 21:29
With one more line of stitching you can put a pull handle into the bottom of the design that headchange is referring to. If your interested I will try to post a pic this week.

I sometimes just sew a loop of grosgrain ribbon in the center of the bottom seam. This gives a nice finger pull if you are removing something bulky, like a quilt or clothing. Put 2 loops, near where the corners will be, if making a bear bag for hanging. This gives a bit more strength so that you don't stress the silnylon.

headchange4u
12-03-2006, 21:29
Arkwater,

What's exactly is a "pull handle" and what is it used for?

EDIT:

I guess Porkbutter answered that.

Peter_pan
12-03-2006, 23:20
Yup...just stuff it.

If you use a square bottom vs round the two triangular tabs can be placed on the outside with the corners tacked together so as to form the handle...no extra wght....A La, the JRB Compression Sack design.

Pan

Coffee
12-03-2006, 23:41
The ones I bought from seatosummit have the drybag closure. I hang them from that closure.

Just I thought. If you are using a drawstring and hanging your bag upside down as a foodbag, you run the risk of loosing the contents if the closure fails. If you hang it the other way with the closure up, there is more of a chance of water getting in. The best of both worlds may be a dry bag closure hung upside down.

Just Jeff
12-04-2006, 00:11
If I were hanging a drawstring foodbag upside down, I'd use the drawcord to tie a gooseneck. Otherwise, a good stiff wind may jiggle the food enough to open the cordlock, like you said.

Porkbutter
12-05-2006, 12:21
Just I thought. If you are using a drawstring and hanging your bag upside down as a foodbag, you run the risk of loosing the contents if the closure fails.

I often add a small flap of silnylon to the inside drawstring seam. This will make any sack a bit more rain resistant by covering the opening. It also diffuses the stress the contents of the bear bag causes while hanging upsidedown. I used to tie a simple knot it secure the cordlock, but I really don't find it necessary anymore.

slowhike
12-06-2006, 13:36
just food for thought... i`m mostly using an ursa sack now & not even hanging, but if i went back to hanging i would make a lighter version of the bag i was using. pictures in tips & techniques, under foodbag.
the bag in the photo is an outdoor research (OR) advanced dry sack. if i remember correctly, it weighs about 4ozs. that`s why i would make one out of silnylon.
the method works perfectly.
i leave it hanging about chest high until i`m ready to go to bed (also in the morning). at that height & the angle of the bag it`s easy to look inside. nothing`s likely to fall out.
even if i forget to close it, little if any rain will find it`s way inside w/ the mouth of the bag hanging down.
when i give it a couple rolls & touch the velcro straps to the side, it`s completely waterproof. ...tim