PDA

View Full Version : Newbie mild weather question

Hokie Hanger
05-04-2010, 08:40
I've read on this forum that most people need some kind of bottom insulation below 65-70 degrees. I'm planning a trip next weekend where I'm expecting lows from the low to mid 60s. If I used a thin fleece sleeping bag as a sleeping bag, could I leave the bulky pad home? Thanks.

Cranky Bear
05-04-2010, 09:00
You probably could? Yes most do not need anything under them above 65-70*, but not all! There is some things you left out! Are you a cold sleeper or warm sleeper or hot sleeper? Have you been out in the hammock before in temps close to what you may be getting? Where are you going? Just cause they list the temp possible lows other factors come in to play like wind, dew point, where you hang your hammock ie.. position in the wind, at a natural break, out in the open, and sooo much more!? Are you backpacking or car camping? would taking the pad cause a problem? Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it! Not sure this helps you any, a lot of all this is very much a personal comfort thing!

Hokie Hanger
05-04-2010, 09:16
I don't have much experience with the hammock. I got it for Christmas and have played with it in the back yard. This will be the first chance I get to take it backpacking. The weather up to now has been cool enough that it wasn't a question. Now I'm in the borderline region. Coastal Mississippi is very flat so there isn't much windbreak except for the trees. I would say that I am an average sleeper, not expecially hot or cold. Humidity is usually high so there will likely be some dew.

Hawk-eye
05-04-2010, 09:26
I could ... but most folks can't ... that's one you'll need to determine on your own. If you're concerned take that pad ... better to carry it than be uncomfortable all night.

krugd
05-04-2010, 10:23
I'm one of those who need bottom insulation any time it drops below 70. You may want to take some bottom insulation along just in case. It doesn't need to be much, a small foam pad (cut up the ccf?), or a piece of thin foam stolen from some other use.

Quoddy
05-04-2010, 10:29
That temperature range sounds like insulation is needed, but if you sleep really warm, fleece weight may get you by. Think of it more like laying in a shallow pool of 65 degree water and you'll be toward what moving air will feel like after a brief period.

Hokie Hanger
05-04-2010, 11:17
Thanks, guys. I'll be prepared and take the pad. The comparison to 65 degree water....Brrrrrh :scared: I sometimes wear a wetsuit to swim in springs near that temp.

WV
05-04-2010, 11:32
You probably could? Yes most do not need anything under them above 65-70*, but not all! There is some things you left out! Are you a cold sleeper or warm sleeper or hot sleeper? Have you been out in the hammock before in temps close to what you may be getting? Where are you going? Just cause they list the temp possible lows other factors come in to play like wind, dew point, where you hang your hammock ie.. position in the wind, at a natural break, out in the open, and sooo much more!? Are you backpacking or car camping? would taking the pad cause a problem? Better to have it and not need it, then need it and not have it! Not sure this helps you any, a lot of all this is very much a personal comfort thing!

+1
Cranky Bear said it all. There's a lot of information there. Pay close attention to each of those points, and then revisit them after your trip. Have fun!

TinaLouise
05-05-2010, 07:03
That temperature range sounds like insulation is needed, but if you sleep really warm, fleece weight may get you by. Think of it more like laying in a shallow pool of 65 degree water and you'll be toward what moving air will feel like after a brief period.

This is just about the best description I've ever read for people to figure out why some are cold and others are warm at the same tempature. I'm not comfortable in the ocean or rivers until the water temp is in the 80's. And now I know why I'm always taking my UQ on every hang. (summer light weight one in the summer time!!!) I'm also a cold sleeper when hanging but inside in the bed, I'm a roasting hot sleeper. So be aware too that you can be one type inside and another type outside. You've got to do your own testing to figure this one out:)
TinaLouise

wisenber
05-05-2010, 09:42
A cut up ccf will probably work for insulation AND a sit/kneel pad. You'll probably want a piece of ccf anyway.