PDA

View Full Version : Quick whoopie question.

Miguel
05-04-2010, 15:07
Just got my whoopies and can't figure out what those little clear plastic rings are used for. They are attached to the loop end of the whoopie.

I did PM Opie but I'm anxious for a test hang and was hoping someone could let me know if they are critical for a proper (read-safe) hang.

Thanks, Miguel

Shug
05-04-2010, 15:08
Just got my whoopies and can't figure out what those little clear plastic rings are used for. They are attached to the loop end of the whoopie.

I did PM Opie but I'm anxious for a test hang and was hoping someone could let me know if they are critical for a proper (read-safe) hang.

Thanks, Miguel
Miguel ... they are there so the whoopie does not "pull in" on itself and get buried in the bury .........
Have fun with 'em.
Shug

Miguel
05-04-2010, 15:13
Miguel ... they are there so the whoopie does not "pull in" on itself and get buried in the bury .........
Have fun with 'em.
Shug

Thank you Shuggar...in hindsight...seems like that shoulda been obvious. :(

They look pretty sweet!

Miguel :)

beep
05-04-2010, 16:09
Have fun with 'em.
Shug

How do I know about this??? :rolleyes: I managed to pull the loop into the bury on my last trip (don't ask!). Took me about 20 minutes to pry/pull/fish it out. I now have added small split rings (like keyrings) to the Whoopie looped end to prevent it from happening again.

kayaknut01
05-05-2010, 06:54
i also pulled the whoopie into the bury 5 min after recieving them in the mail, i was ticked off, took well over a hour to get it out and a phone call to AHE. All turned out well, can't imagine doing this out on the trail, beep got more paintience than I. i used a paint marker to mark when i am getting close to that "danger zone"

more
05-05-2010, 10:31
I managed to pull the loop into the bury on my last trip (don't ask!). Took me about 20 minutes to pry/pull/fish it out.

I did that too. At one point I managed to break the bead that Opie puts on his slings, and somehow managed to bury my adjustable end in my adjustable end so to speak. I thought it was ruined so I ordered another one from Arrowhead, but in the meantime I unburied the other one using a hemostat and some patience. That material is sturdier than it looks. When my order showed up, I learned that I was already using the thinner slings and that made me queasy. If and when you meet me on the trail, one of your first thoughts would be "This guy VERY CLEARLY needs to be using the 1/8 inch slings". So I've got another one coming and I'm going to give the smaller ones to my wife.

opie
05-05-2010, 13:27
Bowl, I doubt you are approaching the limits on the 7/64 Amsteel Blue.

Boris Losdindawoods
05-05-2010, 14:16
So I've got another one coming and I'm going to give the smaller ones to my wife.

:lol: and your car has a driver's side airbag only, right?

sorry... to much sugar at lunch.

nogods
05-05-2010, 19:34
I just tied knots in the end of the line - doesn't seem like it can be pulled back through the bury.

Knotty
05-06-2010, 20:15
I just tied knots in the end of the line - doesn't seem like it can be pulled back through the bury.

The problem is when the adjustable loop gets pulled small and then disappears into the bury.

For the end of the line, a knot works fine but a back splice is much neater looking. Or as MacEntyre would say, "more yar."