PDA

View Full Version : sportman's guide tarp

schrochem
08-29-2007, 06:49
I was just wondering how they constructed the thing.
Is it in three parts?
Where are the seams?
Thanks

hangnout
08-29-2007, 06:51
Ridgeseam, seam on each side to finish the bottom It is basically a hex tarp with triangles sewn in to finish the bottom. I think the angles are changed in the transition from the hex to the triangle to form a sort of cat cut effect

schrochem
08-29-2007, 06:57
so that's four parts?
and the 'seam to finish the bottom' is the corners when hung like a diamond?
Thanks for the info

hangnout
08-29-2007, 07:00
Correct, I edited my orginial reply with more info while you where responding.

schrochem
08-29-2007, 07:04
thanks for the info hangnout
one last question: are the dimensions actually 9X9?
I noticed the JRB 8X8 is actually more like a 7X7
Thanks again

headchange4u
08-29-2007, 10:37
I think they are pretty close to 9x9, but I have never measured. I do know that the ridge line is over 12' when the tarp is hung diagonally.

Redtail
08-29-2007, 11:08
Just in case you're thinking about ordering I got a $5 off shipping code in the mail today:

Sportsman's Guide's
"LABOR DAY SALE 2007" coupon...

$5.00 OFF Shipping & Handling on Your Merchandise Order!
Good through September 03, 2007

Coupon Code: SH295

GrizzlyAdams
08-29-2007, 12:56
Just in case you're thinking about ordering I got a $5 off shipping code in the mail today:

Sportsman's Guide's
"LABOR DAY SALE 2007" coupon...

$5.00 OFF Shipping & Handling on Your Merchandise Order!
Good through September 03, 2007

Coupon Code: SH295

why, thank you!
I took the opportunity to use this to order a 12x12 tarp I've been thinking about for non-backpacking use.

That, and my member's discount brings it home for $40.

Grizz

FanaticFringer
08-29-2007, 15:52
why, thank you!
I took the opportunity to use this to order a 12x12 tarp I've been thinking about for non-backpacking use.

That, and my member's discount brings it home for $40.

Grizz

That's alot of nice tarp for $40:cool:

hangnout
08-29-2007, 16:58
thanks for the info hangnout
one last question: are the dimensions actually 9X9?
I noticed the JRB 8X8 is actually more like a 7X7
Thanks again

I think they are pretty close to 9x9, but I have never measured. I do know that the ridge line is over 12' when the tarp is hung diagonally.

Yeah, what HC4U said above would have been my response

Coldspring
08-30-2007, 00:09
They've got them on eBay for $29.95+5 for shipping. I got one to check it out. They aren't that bad. I have the 9X9. I think the 12X12 might be too largish. The thing that I would worry about is finding a wide enough spot to set up, so that the ends didn't touch the ground. Thought the camo would look tacky, but it actually looks great. I don't see why you couldn't cut off the corners on the sides, seem a cat-cut edge, and use two of the tie-outs, which are already on there.

stoikurt
08-30-2007, 10:01
They've got them on eBay for $29.95+5 for shipping. I got one to check it out. They aren't that bad. I have the 9X9. I think the 12X12 might be too largish. The thing that I would worry about is finding a wide enough spot to set up, so that the ends didn't touch the ground. Thought the camo would look tacky, but it actually looks great. I don't see why you couldn't cut off the corners on the sides, seem a cat-cut edge, and use two of the tie-outs, which are already on there.

That sounds like a good idea, Coldspring. That way you can tie it closer to the ground to reduce airflow when needed.

schrochem
08-30-2007, 10:44
That sounds like a good idea, Coldspring. That way you can tie it closer to the ground to reduce airflow when needed.

Well heck, instead of cutting the corners off you could make them 'retractable' (with velcro or some such). That way you could go with either pitch.

Cannibal
08-30-2007, 15:48
Well heck, instead of cutting the corners off you could make them 'retractable' (with velcro or some such). That way you could go with either pitch.

Yeah, but if you just cut them off I bet it would be more in line weight wise with some of the other options out there. That's a really good idea Coldspring!

Coldspring
08-30-2007, 23:38
Can't believe someone actually liked one of my ideas. It's probably already in the archives somewhere, but I'll take credit.

I got my 9X9 out and measured it. The triangle cut off would be about 30" high with a 42" base. The point itself is a bit heavy. It's not a huge reduction in weight when you consider the size of the hammock, but everything counts. I will probably take pieces of the cut out section and reinforce the tie outs. Is there a general catcut spec for a 42' width?

FanaticFringer
08-30-2007, 23:49
Can't believe someone actually liked one of my ideas. It's probably already in the archives somewhere, but I'll take credit.

I got my 9X9 out and measured it. The triangle cut off would be about 30" high with a 42" base. The point itself is a bit heavy. It's not a huge reduction in weight when you consider the size of the hammock, but everything counts. I will probably take pieces of the cut out section and reinforce the tie outs. Is there a general catcut spec for a 42' width?

I'm looking forward to some pics. I might have to try this with mine.

GrizzlyAdams
08-31-2007, 00:38

I've got a couple of 9x9 SGs, I think one of them just got dubbed for an experiment!

A width of 42" does not uniquely determine a cat cut, you need also to specify how deep the cut is at the center. The difference between using a "cat" curve and a parabola are insignificant for the very shallow cuts we're talking about.

I was just looking at Ivelph's cat cut spreadsheet earlier today. The sample data there looks to have a cut depth of about 6" over a 72" edge. That's the same as a 3.5" cut depth over 42".

The equation of a parabola centered at x=21, and which opens "down" has the form
y = C - alpha * (21-x)^2

Here we use C to be the cut depth. We figure out what alpha is by the fact that we know the curve is 0 at x=0. Thus

0 = C - alpha * 21^2

which means that alpha = C/21^2.

for C=3.5, that gives alpha= 0.0079365

So you can use a calculator or a spreadsheet to compute 3.5-alpha*(21-x)^2, for x=0 to x=42, at increments of, say, 1 inch, and there's a curve that will work for you.

I think...

Grizz

FanaticFringer
08-31-2007, 00:47
I've got a couple of 9x9 SGs, I think one of them just got dubbed for an experiment!

A width of 42" does not uniquely determine a cat cut, you need also to specify how deep the cut is at the center. The difference between using a "cat" curve and a parabola are insignificant for the very shallow cuts we're talking about.

I was just looking at Ivelph's cat cut spreadsheet earlier today. The sample data there looks to have a cut depth of about 6" over a 72" edge. That's the same as a 3.5" cut depth over 42".

The equation of a parabola centered at x=21, and which opens "down" has the form
y = C - alpha * (21-x)^2

Here we use C to be the cut depth. We figure out what alpha is by the fact that we know the curve is 0 at x=0. Thus

0 = C - alpha * 21^2

which means that alpha = C/21^2.

for C=3.5, that gives alpha= 0.0079365

So you can use a calculator or a spreadsheet to compute 3.5-alpha*(21-x)^2, for x=0 to x=42, at increments of, say, 1 inch, and there's a curve that will work for you.

I think...

Grizz

I had no idea it would be so easy.:D

Cannibal
08-31-2007, 07:41
I had no idea it would be so easy.:D

No kidding! And I thought I'd need a calculator. :o :D

GrizzlyAdams
08-31-2007, 07:53
funny guys ;)

I can imagine the howls of derision if Ivleph explained what he's got to do to compute the cat curve.

So in the parabola you can use algebra that you were supposed to be learning in 9th grade to compute the "alpha" that defines the curve.

I was in 9th grade too once, I know what you guys were doing instead :) Checking out the girls.

To do the same thing---figure out some value used in the cat curve equation---you had to have been paying attention in 2nd semester calculus also. And I think I know what you guys were doing instead of attending second semester calculus classes!

Grizz (the thick-skinned :) )

Cannibal
08-31-2007, 07:59
We love ya Grizz, we're just jealous we're not so smart! :D

headchange4u
08-31-2007, 08:14
The only reason that I have not turned my GG tarp into a hex/cat cut tarp is that after removing the "triangles" on the end of the tarp it would only leave you with about 3' of coverage on each side, and that's before making the cat cut and hemming and finishing the edge.

I guess my tarp, with almost 5' of coverage on both sides, has got me spoiled. The 12x12 version would give you better coverage on the sides but now you are looking at a ridge line over 15' which is going to limit site where you can set up.

I may try Coldsprings' idea and make the tarp where the the "triangle corner" would fold up and secure with Velcro. At least this method would allow for some testing before cutting up the tarp. I really would like to remove those corner pieces, if nothing else to reduce weight.

schrochem
08-31-2007, 08:39
If someone does cut the corners off I'd be curious how much it weighs. Remember you have to add another stake to your bag as well.

Jazilla
08-31-2007, 10:50
For the low cost of the 12x12 you could trim off some of the length and then cat cut the tie-outs. It would mean more hemming but do able

FanaticFringer
08-31-2007, 15:22

Hey speak for yourself.:p

GrizzlyAdams
08-31-2007, 16:06

Hey speak for yourself.:p

aah, I'm just basking in the love :D :D :D

Grizz

Coldspring
09-09-2007, 21:12
Well, I finally modified the Guide Gear. I didn't exactly use a NASA computer program to determine the optimal cat cut measurements. I just cut the corners off, traced out some "reasonable" curves, cut them and hemmed some edges. Well, I didn't do the sewing myself. It took less than an hour. It's not the most professional, but since the tarp is camouflaged, no one will notice it much anyway.

I would estimate you will save about 2 1/4 oz off of the tarp itself from cutting the corners off,which isn't all that much. Of course you have to figure for two more tie outs and stakes. I did the cuts a little different on each side. I pictured the more extreme side, the other one is probably better. I think I made one cut too little, and one too much. The tarp isn't going to be perfectly taut, especially on the original sides, but after a quick set up between the only two trees in my yard that the tarp will fit between, I can already tell that it is an improvement.

The Guide Gear's original corners are so far out, that they aren't going to help much with necessary coverage. They add to the bulk in packing. You can now set up the tarp in a narrower area of the woods, although I didn't do the geometry to figure out how much. Cutting off 30 inches from each side, it must be considerable. Not all that bad for $35 tarp in a nice color.

FanaticFringer
09-09-2007, 21:36
Nice job Coldspring. It looks much better than the original. I might just have to get out the sewing machine.

Hooch
09-09-2007, 22:06
Nice job on that. I think it was either HC or NCP that said something about doing something like that to their SG traps. I'm not sure if either (or both) of them got around to it, but your versior looks great. Great job, thanks for sharing with us! :D

NCPatrick
09-10-2007, 06:53
Good job Coldspring, I've been planning to do something similar for a while.

I was thinking you'd cut the corners off at the seam (thus cutting that corner off completely), and then make the cat cut from the existing seam. What was your rationale for cutting where you did?

Looks good.

ozarkjeep
09-10-2007, 08:34
I was thinking of doing something VERY similar!

thanks for the idea!

I have one general question about this tarp ( I have the 9x9)
do yall run a ridge line UNDER the tarp, or just pull the tarp itself tight enough?

Im having a hard time getting it to stayed tied with much wind at all.

In a storm the other night, it blew off, and the next morning I found it almost 60 yards thru the woods.

hehe

FanaticFringer
09-10-2007, 08:46
Most dont use a ridgeline. With the right knot or figure 9's, it should stay taught on the tree and give you no problems. If you convert it to a cat cut, you would be able to hang it even closer to your hammock during bad weather and this would help also.

I was thinking of doing something VERY similar!

thanks for the idea!

I have one general question about this tarp ( I have the 9x9)
do yall run a ridge line UNDER the tarp, or just pull the tarp itself tight enough?

Im having a hard time getting it to stayed tied with much wind at all.

In a storm the other night, it blew off, and the next morning I found it almost 60 yards thru the woods.

hehe

headchange4u
09-10-2007, 10:20
That looks great Coldspring. I'm gonna have to put that on my list of thing to do.

Is that the 9x9 version?

Grinder
09-10-2007, 10:46
I LIKE it!!

I have tied off using the two sewn in loops away next to the corner to achieve somewhat the same effect.

tom

stoikurt
09-10-2007, 16:15
I agree with teblum, you can stake it down using the already sewn in loops away from the corner, you'll just have a little triangle of material flopping around.

I, too, like what Coldspring has done and may consider doing that to my 9X9 SG. My guess is he cut the curve where he did because that's where the loops were already sewn in, that way you don't have to sew on new loops also.

Coldspring
09-10-2007, 22:32
My main rationale for using the existing loops instead of cutting on up to above that seam is that it was easy, and I was lucky to talk someone into sewing what they did. I also think that leaving that seam on the tarp would make it stronger, but that's just a guess.

My tarp is the 9X9. I don't use a ridgeline on the tarp, but I've only slept under it once. I don't see any reason for one. I think I may reinforce the tie outs eventually though, if I ever do use it under high winds it might be an issue. If anyone else cuts their tarp, you might want to look at how close the cat curve gets to that tie out on mine. I would not make the curve as deep as mine.

I never did take my tarp down. It's raining outside and been a bit windy out. Hopefully, it'll still be there in the morning, with a dry spot underneath.

Coldspring
09-24-2007, 22:27
I was wondering if anyone else had went and cut their Guide Gear tarp yet? I finally took mine out for a real world test. Didn't get much wind, so I don't guess it counts though. One thing I did notice, about the way I cut it, is that if a person wanted to tie both side strings to a single point, at a bit of a distance, it would still make for a fairly taught tarp. Also, since I used two different curves, I think the side with the more extreme cat-cut side (like the one pictured) worked better.

stoikurt
09-25-2007, 10:17
That's a nice job, Coldspring. And your point about tying to a single point is good as long as that single point is farther out than the original corner of the tarp. If you tie to a single point closer than the original corner you will get some sag or wrinkle on that new cat cut edge you did.

Doctari
09-26-2007, 07:49
I have been thinking of getting a 12 x 12 & cutting it into a MacCat type.

I have the 9by, & most times that is huge, but there are times (I feel) where the angles are too sharp. SOOO, my plan is to make the ridgeline of the 12by the same as the 9by but,,,, well, you know, "Like a MacCat" but camo.

My thought is to use the 9by (& a black marker) as a pattern for the Cant cuts. & as I'm cutting them off anyway, I'll use the included loops just in different places, possibly with the cut off nylon as re-enforcement at the 6 tie points.

BTW:
Good job coldspring!

Doctari.

gunn parker
09-26-2007, 09:05
Hi
I love the job you have done but I cannot help but feel you will get wet with side driven rain.
Have you had it out in windy rain yet?

Coldspring
09-28-2007, 16:32
Hi
I love the job you have done but I cannot help but feel you will get wet with side driven rain.
Have you had it out in windy rain yet?

Well, I finally tied my new MacCat Deluxe up today, to see what it looked like. Seems like they definitely need to be tied tight, or they flap around a lot. I thought I would try comparing it with my modified Guide Gear, so I tied the Guide Gear on top of it. Sort of interesting. I knew that the sides of the MacCat would have more coverage in the corner areas, but I didn't realize just how much more coverage the Guide Gear would offer on the ends. I never did get both tied tight, since there shapes are a little different, but it's close enough to compare. Just from a quick tie up, it looks like the Guide Gear's shape might be more aerodynamic in high winds. It doesn't seem to be as demanding either, so you could probably throw it up a lot quicker and just call it a night. Although heavier, it doesn't seem like the material would be as fragile as the MacCat. I'm going to have to work on reinforcing my tieouts now.

FanaticFringer
09-28-2007, 21:13
Very nice comparison testing. That 9x9 is looking very respectable next to the MacCat.

pure_mahem
09-28-2007, 21:37
Is the weight savings worth the additional $85?

FanaticFringer
09-28-2007, 21:48
Is the weight savings worth the additional $85?

To a gram/ounce weenie probably so.
Now we need someone to buy the 12x12 and give it a cat cut so we can see what she looks like.

FanaticFringer
11-04-2007, 14:58
Well, I finally modified the Guide Gear. I didn't exactly use a NASA computer program to determine the optimal cat cut measurements. I just cut the corners off, traced out some "reasonable" curves, cut them and hemmed some edges. Well, I didn't do the sewing myself. It took less than an hour. It's not the most professional, but since the tarp is camouflaged, no one will notice it much anyway.

I would estimate you will save about 2 1/4 oz off of the tarp itself from cutting the corners off,which isn't all that much. Of course you have to figure for two more tie outs and stakes. I did the cuts a little different on each side. I pictured the more extreme side, the other one is probably better. I think I made one cut too little, and one too much. The tarp isn't going to be perfectly taut, especially on the original sides, but after a quick set up between the only two trees in my yard that the tarp will fit between, I can already tell that it is an improvement.

The Guide Gear's original corners are so far out, that they aren't going to help much with necessary coverage. They add to the bulk in packing. You can now set up the tarp in a narrower area of the woods, although I didn't do the geometry to figure out how much. Cutting off 30 inches from each side, it must be considerable. Not all that bad for $35 tarp in a nice color.

Here's a pic of my 9x9 Sportsmans Guide camo cat tarp I just got threw sewing. I'll use it for a loaner tarp.

NCPatrick
11-04-2007, 19:10
Here's a pic of my 9x9 Sportsmans Guide camo cat tarp I just got threw sewing. I'll use it for a loaner tarp.

Nice!

I still want to cut the corners off of one at the corner seams and either leave it as a hex, or cat cut it from there.

Recharging the budget right now...

Patrick
11-08-2007, 14:59
Love it. I had mine out this weekend and was thinking of doing the same thing. Good to see the results. Maybe I'll hold off on that homemade sil tarp a little longer and mess around with this. I do love the camo.

Patrick
11-08-2007, 15:03
Reading farther back into this post, I feel like you'll stay dryer. How it's cut now should allow it to pitch much closer to the ground, effectively giving you more coverage on the ends, I believe.

Patrick
11-08-2007, 15:05
Anyone have thoughts on catting the other sides (between stake and end point)?

FanaticFringer
11-08-2007, 16:50
Anyone have thoughts on catting the other sides (between stake and end point)?

Sounds like a plan. I'd make the cuts pretty small though.

FanaticFringer
11-08-2007, 16:53
Reading farther back into this post, I feel like you'll stay dryer. How it's cut now should allow it to pitch much closer to the ground, effectively giving you more coverage on the ends, I believe.

Yea your right. My last campout I had my BlackCat tarp and my nephew had the 9x9 pre-cat cut. The sides just stuck out way too far and offered little coverage. Off they went.

gunn parker
11-08-2007, 19:39
After using mine a few times now I have to agree that the sides are just too long and I will have to look into cutting them off. Now if I was not so much of a chicken I'd do it :)

FanaticFringer
11-09-2007, 01:11
After using mine a few times now I have to agree that the sides are just too long and I will have to look into cutting them off. Now if I was not so much of a chicken I'd do it :)

Try what someone suggested about staking down the two pulls on each side and just letting the extra flap just hang there or add some velcro to hide it. If you like it you can then cut the cats.

ozarkjeep
11-09-2007, 11:25
fold the corners over the top of the tarp, and connect with a small plastic ended bungy, keeps them tight, and from flapping.

extra weight, buit a GREAT way to get the feel of the tarp trimmed.

I dont want to cut mine, in the event, I may use it as some other configuration of shelter

Try what someone suggested about staking down the two pulls on each side and just letting the extra flap just hang there or add some velcro to hide it. If you like it you can then cut the cats.

nickelanddime
11-09-2007, 11:39
Since this thread started I've been thinking of cutting off the corners but that extra has come in so handy... In two different storms I've had my tent dwelling buddies ask if I would raise a corner for awhile so they could assemble their tent without it getting soaked, it's been where we retreat to to cook our group meals when it's too wet to sit in the open, and the best was under a month back at Mt.Rodgers the temp dropped pretty far and their was a meteor shower that night so I wrapped it around the bottom of my hammock and draped half of it across the top for an insulating taco effect with a view... it makes me sad because I like altering stuff so much, but I think I'm just going to settle on sewing in a couple ties on the underside to roll up the corners

Just Jeff
11-09-2007, 13:32
Sometimes I like to stake the corners directly to the ground so I don't have to use guylines. I use the JRB rather than the SG but it's the same shape.

Doctari
11-10-2007, 07:23
Well, I finally tied my new MacCat Deluxe up today, to see what it looked like. Seems like they definitely need to be tied tight, or they flap around a lot. I thought I would try comparing it with my modified Guide Gear, so I tied the Guide Gear on top of it. Sort of interesting. I knew that the sides of the MacCat would have more coverage in the corner areas, but I didn't realize just how much more coverage the Guide Gear would offer on the ends. I never did get both tied tight, since there shapes are a little different, but it's close enough to compare. Just from a quick tie up, it looks like the Guide Gear's shape might be more aerodynamic in high winds. It doesn't seem to be as demanding either, so you could probably throw it up a lot quicker and just call it a night. Although heavier, it doesn't seem like the material would be as fragile as the MacCat. I'm going to have to work on reinforcing my tieouts now.

OH!! :eek:

Wow!!! I was going to go MacCat because I thought it covered more (the weight saving would be nice too) but now, I'm not so sure it would be worth it. Thanks for the comparison! I have been considering cutting my tarp like you did, perhaps I will now do just that.

Doctari.

Buckybuck
12-28-2007, 07:57
I've got some gift money burning a hole in my pocket and thinking about a Sportsman's Club tarp. I looked on the website today and this is the only tarp that shows up:

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/net/cb/cb.aspx?a=254694

Is this the one you guys are talking about? There's no 9x9 size mentioned.

headchange4u
12-28-2007, 10:11
The 9x9 has been out of stock for a while. I think they are spposed to get them back in stock sometime in 08.

rpettit
04-07-2008, 07:34

Have you tried this yet? I tried with velcro, couldn't get the industrial strength velcro tabs to stick to the tarp. I don't sew. Anyone have any recommendations on a type of adhesive that would stick to the tarp?

NCPatrick
04-07-2008, 07:40
Would velcro hold well enough for a tight pitch, even if you maybe sewed it to the edges?

rpettit
04-07-2008, 08:01
Would velcro hold well enough for a tight pitch, even if you maybe sewed it to the edges?

The flap isn't under any pressure. The corner is just lifted up and attached to the inside of the tarp. The velcro wouldn't stick to the tarp.
I also brought the 2 corners to the center underneath and connected them. Sort of like the previous tie fighter recommendation. I may try this, I use a HH ULBP and it didn't look like it would interfere with entering the hammock since you do so from the end. If the wind direction is perpindicular to the ridgline it may even divert some wind underneath the hammock. Since these tarps are no longer for sale I don't want to cut it an screw it up.

NCPatrick
04-07-2008, 08:38
Oh, ok. I've cut the corners off of mine (hey, it was something I always wanted to try and they were still selling them then).

I like the hex design, but I kept the corners in case I wanted to do something with them. I was thinking of putting velcro at the ends of the tarp and making some doors with them, but the pitch of the tarp changes... I could put both triangle "doors" on one end at a time to overlap them.

Anyway, I was imagining you were thinking of velcro-ing the triangles back in place after removal. Not sure you'd be able to have the velcro hold in that configuration... so never mind.

Thanks for the clarification.

rpettit
04-07-2008, 09:16
Oh, ok. I've cut the corners off of mine (hey, it was something I always wanted to try and they were still selling them then).

I like the hex design, but I kept the corners in case I wanted to do something with them. I was thinking of putting velcro at the ends of the tarp and making some doors with them, but the pitch of the tarp changes... I could put both triangle "doors" on one end at a time to overlap them.

Anyway, I was imagining you were thinking of velcro-ing the triangles back in place after removal. Not sure you'd be able to have the velcro hold in that configuration... so never mind.

Thanks for the clarification.

I noticed from your pictures that you cut at the seam. Do you get enough coverage on the sides? Let's say 35-45 degrees raining and windy. I was thinking that if I still get enough cover on the sides I may have it cut and hemmed were the 2 side ties outs are, just below the seam.

NCPatrick
04-07-2008, 09:27
I haven't really had it out to mess with it much since those pictures were taken. I need to do some testing with it in earnest and in different conditions. I've been trying to use the triangles [from it] tied on to other tarps, with limited success.

Maybe this weekend I'll have a day or so to get out there and check it out...

Grinder
04-25-2008, 12:06
I just camped for a couple nights in Tennessee. Rain was predicted and occurred on Friday night.

I hung my hammock low and pitched my tarp tight, not using the tips. (discussed earlier in this thread.)

On one side, I used "canopy tarp ties" from Home Depot to tie it down. These are made of shock cord loops with a ball on one end.
http://www.amazon.com/piece-BALL-BUNGEE-CANOPY-STRAPS/dp/B000QA7ZIY
They were really handy for keeping tension on the tarp.

I was dry, although, when the wind kicked up as the storm started, I held the roof down as a preventive measure. I kind of think that canopy ties on both sides would have helped. After the wind died down I fell back asleep and awoke in the AM dry and rested. Other camper's bitched about their tents leaking. <G>

I may cut the tips off, but I'm going to wait. In warmer weather, it would be nice to hang it high and wide. And then, there's always the cooking under the tarp on a rainy day.

Miles of Smiles
Tom

FanaticFringer
07-17-2008, 17:08

www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1967&catid=member&imageuser=45

FanaticFringer
07-17-2008, 17:12
For those on the fence, or not, about ordering one of the Claytor tarps in the group buy, here's an option to cat cut the tarp. Using the SG tarp as an example.

www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=27648#post27648

6 feet over
07-17-2008, 19:05
For those on the fence, or not, about ordering one of the Claytor tarps in the group buy, here's an option to cat cut the tarp.

www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=27648#post27648

I may be off base here, but isn't this photo of a Sportsman's Guide 'Neo' tarp being modified, not a Claytor?

I wasn't aware of a Claytor group buy, I'll have to look into it if it's not too late.

FanaticFringer
07-17-2008, 19:08
I may be off base here, but isn't this photo of a Sportsman's Guide 'Neo' tarp being modified, not a Claytor?

I wasn't aware of a Claytor group buy, I'll have to look into it if it's not too late.

Just using the SG tarp as a reference.

6 feet over
07-19-2008, 14:51
Just using the SG tarp as a reference.

Gotcha! Sometimes I need things explained…:D