PDA

View Full Version : Smokies next spring?

Big E
09-01-2007, 21:24
I am thinking about doing either the AT through the GSMNP or Lakeshore Trail over to Fontana in May next year with my son. Anyone out there interested in heading down?

slowhike
09-01-2007, 21:31
i'd sure like to, but my job, etc, just isn't going to allow.

Hooch
09-02-2007, 05:23
I am thinking about doing either the AT through the GSMNP or Lakeshore Trail over to Fontana in May next year with my son. Anyone out there interested in heading down?Big E, I just might take you up on that one. I'd love to give the AT a go out that way. Maybe I can even keep my hammock in one piece this time. :D Have any idea of the dates in May just yet? BTW, I have the mapset for that section here already. I'm sure you have all that on your GPS, but the "old-fashioned" way is available if you need it.

Big E
09-02-2007, 09:10
Not sure on exact dates yet. Might push it back to early June.

Hooch
09-02-2007, 09:18
Not sure on exact dates yet. Might push it back to early June.
Roger, keep me posted. Sounds good to me thus far.

GrizzlyAdams
09-02-2007, 23:08
I am thinking about doing either the AT through the GSMNP or Lakeshore Trail over to Fontana in May next year with my son. Anyone out there interested in heading down?

How long is that stretch?

Might be possible with a son or two in tow (16 and 21).
Although recent experience suggests they'll be towing me...

Grizz

Hooch
09-03-2007, 03:07
How long is that stretch? I'm thinking it's in the 70 mile range, give or take a couple miles. I'll look at the exact distance when I get home in the morning.

Hooch
09-03-2007, 08:48
How long is that stretch? Ok, I have a good answer for you now that I'm finally home from work. According to the Appalachian Trail Distance Calculator (http://www.ragtag.org/dbatdist.html), if you go from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap Shelter, the distance is 71.6 miles. If you go on to the I-40 crossing, it's 73.5 miles. There ya have it. :D

GrizzlyAdams
09-03-2007, 09:46
Ok, I have a good answer for you now that I'm finally home from work. According to the Appalachian Trail Distance Calculator (http://www.ragtag.org/dbatdist.html), if you go from Fontana Dam to Davenport Gap Shelter, the distance is 71.6 miles. If you go on to the I-40 crossing, it's 73.5 miles. There ya have it. :D

hey thanks. My sons and I are planning some sort of week-long-ish length hike in the late May / early June time frame. This could be the one. Keep me in the loop as schedules evolve.

Grizz

Big E
09-03-2007, 21:19
Will do.

The Lakeshore Trail route might be another one worth looking at. It is the road less traveled and is part of the Benton Mackaye Trail (the original AT route planned by Mr. Mackaye). Either one would be 60-70 miles. Each presents different challenges, but I am thinking that for hangers, the Lakeshore Trail route might present a better choice. All campsites are primitive, no shelters to worry about. We'd be able to camp each night within a short walk to Fontana Lake to bath/swim.

I'd like to get a group of 6-8 to go to make it more fun.

Hooch
09-03-2007, 21:39
Will do.

The Lakeshore Trail route might be another one worth looking at. It is the road less traveled and is part of the Benton Mackaye Trail (the original AT route planned by Mr. Mackaye). Either one would be 60-70 miles. Each presents different challenges, but I am thinking that for hangers, the Lakeshore Trail route might present a better choice. All campsites are primitive, no shelters to worry about. We'd be able to camp each night within a short walk to Fontana Lake to bath/swim.

I'd like to get a group of 6-8 to go to make it more fun. Sounds good to me. As long as the dates are right, I'm in. :D

headchange4u
09-04-2007, 08:44
I may possibly be able to join you. When you finalize the dates let me know.

stoikurt
09-04-2007, 11:29
I might try to work it out too, keep me posted.

If you do the AT thru the Smokies, aren't you supposed to reserve and use the shelters? I think I've heard they frown on hammocks. If this is true the Lakeshore trail and primitive sites might be better.

Hooch
09-05-2007, 07:07
I might try to work it out too, keep me posted.

If you do the AT thru the Smokies, aren't you supposed to reserve and use the shelters? I think I've heard they frown on hammocks. If this is true the Lakeshore trail and primitive sites might be better. It'd probably be the trail less traveled, I'm thinking. Maybe giving the Lakeshore Trail a go isn't a bad idea. Like I said earlier, I'm up for it as long as the dates jive. We'll see later on, but I'm hopeful it works out.

wamyteipen
09-05-2007, 22:25
I'm interested if the dates work out. All the literature I've read including the GSMNP website confirms what Stoikurt says regarding shelter camping only on the AT through GSMNP. That's a real drag. Just makes me want to stealth camp through there just because. jk. I've yet to do the Lakeshore Trail. It gets good reviews and might be less crowded anyway. Keep me posted on the planning. Sounds like fun.

Bird Dog
09-06-2007, 21:42
I too am following the thread. Sounds like fun. But, Im with everyone else, depends on how the days work out. BD

Hooch
09-06-2007, 23:36
I too am following the thread. Sounds like fun. But, Im with everyone else, depends on how the days work out. BD Hope you can make it, BD. :D