PDA

View Full Version : Shock cord under hammock

wisenber
05-10-2010, 21:51
I've been playing around with my DIY DL hammock. One of the main benefits I've found is that I can place a pad between the layers and have it remain in place much better than putting a pad in the hammock. I also get to avoid laying directly on the hammock.

On that note, I was wondering if anyone has tried running a few pieces of shock cord under a single layer hammock to hold a pad in place? It seems like that would remove the weight penalty of a second layer while retaining the benefit of holding a pad in place.

I've got a Travel hammock ATTH with several tie-outs for when it is used as a tarp. I was thinking about trying it, but I thought I'd see if anyone has been down this road already. If not, any suggestions or thoughts on what the shortcomings might be would also help.

It seems like this would be good for a GG wide pad or even stacking pads without an SPE.

Just Jeff
05-10-2010, 22:02
The DL supports the pad over the entire surface area, which gets rid of most of the air gaps caused by buckling. A few strands of shockcord would only hold the pad against the hammock at those places, so there would be air gaps in the other parts. Add enough shockcord and you could probably compensate, but I think it would weigh more than a DL.

Only one way to find out, though...prototype it and post pics! :jj:

wisenber
05-10-2010, 22:05
The DL supports the pad over the entire surface area, which gets rid of most of the air gaps caused by buckling. A few strands of shockcord would only hold the pad against the hammock at those places, so there would be air gaps in the other parts. Add enough shockcord and you could probably compensate, but I think it would weigh more than a DL.

Only one way to find out, though...prototype it and post pics! :jj:

I'll probably give it a whirl next week after I get back from Linville Gorge. I hope to have my new ASR from Opie and my draping bugnet worked out before then.
If the shock cords work, that may be my Red River Gorge rig.

orangebananas
05-10-2010, 22:48
I tried this with my HH, and it was a pain in the butt to get in and out. Maybe you'll have more luck. I would imagine the buckling would be the biggest problem.

Peter_pan
05-11-2010, 01:15
Enough shock cord to make it work would be too heavy to be practical.

Pan

wisenber
05-11-2010, 08:14
Enough shock cord to make it work would be too heavy to be practical.

Pan

That's why I thought I'd ask here first.

Cranky Bear
05-11-2010, 08:21
That's why I thought I'd ask here first.

Yes, but it can't hurt to try!?!? Can it??:confused:

wisenber
05-11-2010, 08:25
Yes, but it can't hurt to try!?!? Can it??:confused:

One always risks injury when experimenting with cutting edge hammock technology.:lol:

Hawk-eye
05-11-2010, 08:26
Just a wild idea ... how about using one of those cheap light weight mesh hammock body's as a type of undercover to hold the pad in place? Weight wise it might be no better than a double layer of 1.1 but one could experiment by cutting out sections of it to see the optimum pattern it would take to make the "pad sling" for want of a term.

I've only had one cup of coffee ... :woot:

Cranky Bear
05-11-2010, 08:26
One always risks injury when experimenting with cutting edge hammock technology.:lol:

You may have a point!?!?:lol::lol::lol::lol:

wisenber
05-11-2010, 09:10
Just a wild idea ... how about using one of those cheap light weight mesh hammock body's as a type of undercover to hold the pad in place? Weight wise it might be no better than a double layer of 1.1 but one could experiment by cutting out sections of it to see the optimum pattern it would take to make the "pad sling" for want of a term.

Hmmmm. I might have a project if i make it out of the Gorge this weekend.

GingivitisKahn
05-11-2010, 13:21

I've been kind of thinking of that too. I have one - maybe I'll see if I can get it to mate with my ENO doublenest. Erm... Or something.

Just Jeff
05-11-2010, 15:34
I had one of the little mesh hammocks sold on base at the BX/PX and it was heavier than a layer of 1.1 oz DWR. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was enough to make me not consider carrying it anymore.

booone0
05-11-2010, 15:36
I had a similar thought for general undercover insulation, posted in this thread:

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17357

No replies though so I assume nobody had any relevant experience to share, I was talking jibberish, or both.

I think that with your idea, unless you had a lot of shock cords (more work and weight and tangle than would be worth it) you would have issues with bunching and with keeping it in position.

Post up if you try it, though!

Hawk-eye
05-11-2010, 15:39
I had one of the little mesh hammocks sold on base at the BX/PX and it was heavier than a layer of 1.1 oz DWR. I don't remember the exact numbers but it was enough to make me not consider carrying it anymore.

Kinda think it might but if you could say cut out half of the mesh ... and create a skeleton frame work of the remaining mesh ... it might work to support a pad evenly. Depending on how it's made you may have to knot it. Those woven ones might just require cutting and a little fusing with a lighter.

Might just end up being too complicated to futz with. But it'd be an interesting experiment if you were so inclined.

Just Jeff
05-11-2010, 15:47
Could be. And then you'd have a multi-functional item in case you needed to go fishing with your underquilt... :jj:

wisenber
05-11-2010, 17:29
Fishing is just what I was thinking. Instead of a web hammock, I was thinking of using some light weight fishing net in lieu of the shock cord. If it works, I could then proceed to cut out portions until it fails. That would let me know the least amount of webbing needed to support the pad. The 40X60X0.25 GG pads weigh a bit under 8 ounces. Combining a trimmed GG pad with the least amount of net needed might yield an 8 ounce bottom insulation solution good down to the low 50's or so.

Albert Skye
05-11-2010, 18:20
Here's a similar thread.