PDA

View Full Version : Insulation ID

tasthree
05-12-2010, 21:30
My wife just brought me home some mat from the pound section at a Foam and Fabric. Its woodland camo rip stop that I can breath thru. Then sewn to it is some synthetic insulation batting about 3/8" thick.When I pulled off a pinch and burned it it turned into black irregular blob after I blew it out. On a burn chart I had faved that indicated a type of acrylic. I've never worked with any known raw insulation. How does one ID the various types of insulation. I called the store and they had no idea what it was or where it came from. A piece 63" x 87" cost like $3.

Running Feather
05-12-2010, 21:54
My wife just brought me home some mat from the pound section at a Foam and Fabric. Its woodland camo rip stop that I can breath thru. Then sewn to it is some synthetic insulation batting about 3/8" thick.When I pulled off a pinch and burned it it turned into black irregular blob after I blew it out. On a burn chart I had faved that indicated a type of acrylic. I've never worked with any known raw insulation. How does one ID the various types of insulation. I called the store and they had no idea what it was or where it came from. A piece 63" x 87" cost like $3.

I've seen that stuff at F&F. Never tried it. Temping though. I thought it was a quilted poly-fill.

Give it a whirl. At $3 the worst that could happen is you have something cool for car-camping.

tasthree
05-12-2010, 22:04
Running Feather. I see your in Hendersonville. She got it at the F&F in Fletcher. SO that is the stuff you prob saw. I might play around and try my first attempt at a UQ with it.

JohnSawyer
05-12-2010, 23:25

It should work fine, the only issue with quilting batting is it's heavier and doesn't compress as well as primaloft or climashield. Other than that, it works.

I've made test quilts from batting, Insul-brite, and ripstop that work well... I just won't carry them backpacking... My kids use them for hanging in the back yard, and stay quite toasty...

slowhike
05-13-2010, 07:42
I made an insulated hammock using the cheap quilt batting from walmart. It no doubt has some trade offs, like warmth to weight compared to better insulation, but it it did a fine job of keeping me warm.
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/2/5/P3180058_thumb.jpg (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=674&c=member&imageuser=25)
I'd say, give it a go.

tasthree
05-13-2010, 09:18
I think I'll double it over,mold it some,put it on some sliders like a yeti,leave one end open so I can insert other things like layers of IX or a thin reflective pad or sumpin as needed. Be good enuf for the wife and daughter. Make the good stuff for myself as they wouldn't follow me into low temps anyway. In fact I like modular so if it works on those I'll design that into mine with the good stuff. Steal some layers from theirs when I need more for mine. That was a great $3 purchase cause it just gave me an idea:D.