PDA

View Full Version : Clark's Vertex Hammock

leepingreenlizards
05-13-2010, 15:30
Even though I value the opinions of my fellow hangers, I would like to limit this post to users with actual experience, rather than conjecture. So if you have never slept in the Clark's Vertex hammock, I would appreciate it if you would please restrain from any replies, thanks

Has anyone tried the Vertex hammock and if so what can you tell me about it?

Stability, comfort, how well does it hang, weather and bug proofing, difficulty installing, roominess, durability and foremost---how well do you lay in it\comfort.

My little grandson wants to go with me, and rather than 2 hammocks (he's 6 and would freak-out sleeping by himself in the woods), I'm considering the Vertex, but would value the experienced opinion of my fellow hangers.

Thank you

Boris Losdindawoods
05-13-2010, 23:50
Cavediver bought one. I think he might own the only one in North America.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7764

TinaLouise
05-14-2010, 06:39
My little grandson wants to go with me, and rather than 2 hammocks (he's 6 and would freak-out sleeping by himself in the woods), I'm considering the Vertex, but would value the experienced opinion of my fellow hangers.

Thank you

this is just a side observation... getting the little guy used to sleeping by himself... Do you have trees in your yard that you can hang from??? If you do, try having the little guy over and do some "test" sleep outs in the back yard. Use "2" hammocks and set up the little guy in his own hammock but let him know that if he gets scared... he can switch over to your's. If you can, hang both hammocks off of the same tree, making a "v" shape. If you've got really big trees, you can hang both off of the same two trees. You just have to have your hammock ropes coming off the tree from oppisite sides instead of centered on the tree. The closer you're able to hang the two hammocks together, the more safe the little guy will feel. And the more likely he'll be able to stay in his own hammock too. If you're close enough that it "seems" like you're actually together, he'll feel safer. Using one large tarp over the two hammocks also will help.

TinaLouise

leepingreenlizards
05-14-2010, 07:15
this is just a side observation... getting the little guy used to sleeping by himself... Do you have trees in your yard that you can hang from??? If you do, try having the little guy over and do some "test" sleep outs in the back yard. Use "2" hammocks and set up the little guy in his own hammock but let him know that if he gets scared... he can switch over to your's. If you can, hang both hammocks off of the same tree, making a "v" shape. If you've got really big trees, you can hang both off of the same two trees. You just have to have your hammock ropes coming off the tree from oppisite sides instead of centered on the tree. The closer you're able to hang the two hammocks together, the more safe the little guy will feel. And the more likely he'll be able to stay in his own hammock too. If you're close enough that it "seems" like you're actually together, he'll feel safer. Using one large tarp over the two hammocks also will help.

TinaLouise

Yeah, could do that around our home and the general area. I had thought about doing something like that and it is a good idea. He's good to go at home and in bed, but not outside :scared:. I really shouldn't have waited for so long, but he seems to be more interested in it now and I want him to grow up enjoying the outdoors.

Thanks

leepingreenlizards
05-14-2010, 07:21
Cavediver bought one. I think he might own the only one in North America.

http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=7764

Yeah, they look like they'd be more difficult to setup, especially when it comes to finding the right tee configuration, plus they're VERY pricey :tongueup:.

Thanks

Triptease
05-14-2010, 14:44
It would be nice to have, but it is completely overpriced. I think even Clark, as expensive as they are compared to the competition bit off more than they could chew on that price. I'd be shocked if the number that they've sold exceeds double digits.

molawns
05-14-2010, 14:52
Use "2" hammocks and set up the little guy in his own hammock but let him know that if he gets scared... he can switch over to your's.

...If you can, hang both hammocks off of the same tree, making a "v" shape. If you've got really big trees, you can hang both off of the same two trees.

TinaLouise

Another idea would be to make hammock "bunk beds". Suspend both hammocks from the same tree, with one over top of the other. Pitch your hammock beneath your grandson's, so he'll feel more secure with you below him (keeping the wild, scary creatures at bay). It will also ensure that if he needs to get up during the night, he'll have to wake you for help.

Sorry to get a bit off-topic. Just thought I'd offer that suggestion.

Kudos to you for wanting to get him out there and enjoying nature!:thumbup:

BER
05-14-2010, 19:53
Previous discussion about the Vertex here (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=17083&highlight=vertex). In so far as price, I thought the same. Cannibal showed me the math though and it's not as bad as I thought when you consider buying two separate hammocks, and fly. See his comments on post #8 of the above link.

Cannibal
05-17-2010, 11:20
Stability, comfort, how well does it hang, weather and bug proofing, difficulty installing, roominess, durability and foremost---how well do you lay in it\comfort.
Stability: Marvelous. Absolutely no problems there.

Comfort: Best for smaller sized folks, buuuuuuut the Vertex, in particular, is a comfortable hammock from Clark....for me. I cheated by throwing my feet over into the other hammock bed, but it was quite comfortable for me in that manner.

Hang: Hangs as easy as anything else out there.

Weather and bug proofing: Ah man, that weathershield is the bombdigitty! Same can be said about all the other Clark models too. The bug netting and weathershield offer the user a whole bunch of headroom, while still managing to trap plenty of heat during colder hangs. The Weathershield is easily my favorite thing about the Clarks. Really effective!

Installing: What installation? Unpack it and hang it; you're done. Tarp configurations can get tedious, but once you've found one you like you'll pretty much be set.

Roominess: Lots of vertical room, but all the Clarks lack width and length IMO. Doesn't mean they aren't great for some, just not ideal for me at 6' and #235.

Durability: I have nothing to base this off of, but I suspect the Clarks are very durable. The construction is top notch and part of the reason they are heavier than most other hammock set-ups is their heavy duty construction. If I had to pick one hammock (camping) that I thought would outlast another, it would be the Clarks.

Comfort: Well, that is the whole point isn't it? Can't really tell another person if they would be comfortable in a hammock of one type or another. Everybody is far too different. I found the Vertex to be very comfortable because its configuration allows me to cheat the lay. Other Clarks, not so much. :( It's a gamble anytime you're looking at a different hammock.

leepingreenlizards, you have brought-up the notion that it's difficult to find trees in the right pattern. I thought the same thing and I think any reasonable person would too. However, it is absolutely wrong...at least here in Colorado. When I found out I was going to get the honor of trying a Vertex I started paying attention to the trees when I was hiking. I was amazed, shocked, and bewildered by what I discovered. It is darn near as easy to find three trees that work as it is to find two. No idea why this is, but I'm tellin ya it's true! During the month I had my hands on cavediver's Vertex, I never once had a problem finding three trees to do the trick. Almost like Mama Nature planted them just in case Clark made a Vertex. Really quite amazing.

Price is a wash for any other pair of quality hammock set-ups. Weight is a concern, but within reason for what it is. I have absolutely no problems recommending the Vertex to anybody based on its construction, quality, and functionality. However, I can not speak for the comfort it will provide you. Me, I like em! :D