PDA

View Full Version : Any trips planned this weekend?

NCPatrick
09-07-2007, 12:31
With all of this extremely technical talk going on in the forums these days, has anyone got any plans to actually get outside this weekend?

lvleph
09-07-2007, 12:33
I was thinking of going to Pocahontas State Park for an over nighter. I got my new under quilt in. It has been getting into the low sixties, so I figured I would give it a try. But I have not made up my mind just yet.

NCPatrick
09-07-2007, 12:36
Sounds great. I'm headed outside to the backyard myself. The mosquitos are really bad here lately though. A good test for my bug bivvy :p .

NCPatrick
09-07-2007, 12:38
I was thinking of going to Pocahontas State Park for an over nighter. I got my new under quilt in. It has been getting into the low sixties, so I figured I would give it a try. But I have not made up my mind just yet.

What kind of underquilt did you end up with?

sk8rs_dad
09-07-2007, 12:39
Not this weekend, but in 2 weeks I'm off with about 200 beavers, cubs, scouts, and venturers to our group's fall camp at Legewade. Should be a good chance to try out my new JRB nest, which I'm hoping arrives in the mail soon.

NCPatrick
09-07-2007, 12:48
Better watch out if you're mixing beavers with venturers...:eek: :)

Where is Legewade?

sk8rs_dad
09-07-2007, 13:00
Better watch out if you're mixing beavers with venturers...:eek: :)

Where is Legewade?

Tsk, tsk! Now don't make me have to write up an incident report. :rolleyes:
FYI, the Scouts Canada program is co-ed.

Legewade is a scout camp here (http://maps.google.ca/maps?t=h&q=45.409998%2C-76.649997+%28Camp+Ledgewade%29), about 45 minutes northwest of my home. Algonquin Park is another couple of hours up the road.

lvleph
09-07-2007, 13:22
What kind of underquilt did you end up with?

I got a 2nds Stealth. I wouldn't have probably even noticed if they hadn't told me what was wrong.

NCPatrick
09-07-2007, 13:50
Tsk, tsk! Now don't make me have to write up an incident report. :rolleyes:
FYI, the Scouts Canada program is co-ed.

Legewade is a scout camp here (http://maps.google.ca/maps?t=h&q=45.409998%2C-76.649997+%28Camp+Ledgewade%29), about 45 minutes northwest of my home. Algonquin Park is another couple of hours up the road.

Wow, thanks for the map. That helps a lot. Interesting about the scouts there too. My oldest daughter is in Girl Scouts here (not co-ed).

Sounds like a fun trip.

NCPatrick
09-07-2007, 13:52
I got a 2nds Stealth. I wouldn't have probably even noticed if they hadn't told me what was wrong.

Gotta love the stealth. I've really enjoyed mine. How much was it, if you don't mind me asking? (You can PM me, if that helps). Looking to make or buy one for my daughter for next month.

Cannibal
09-07-2007, 13:57
I'm going to go hike in the crisp, cool, summer air here in Florida. Doing the section south of Rt. 60 called "Kissimmee River" section on the Florida Trail. Should be nice and humid with a hint of mosquito buzzing in the air and if I'm really lucky...I might even get caught in a thunderstorm.

Tell me again why this is fun? :D

headchange4u
09-07-2007, 14:02
I get to help my parents move into their new house. WOOOHOOO...Lots of heavy lifting.

sk8rs_dad
09-07-2007, 14:03
My oldest daughter is in Girl Scouts here (not co-ed).

Girl Guides isn't co-ed here either, including barriers to participating if you're a father. I know of a number of girls who ended up in scouts because their fathers wanted to be involved. For some it's siblings. For others it may come down to the program offered.

NCPatrick
09-07-2007, 14:16
I'm going to go hike in the crisp, cool, summer air here in Florida. Doing the section south of Rt. 60 called "Kissimmee River" section on the Florida Trail. Should be nice and humid with a hint of mosquito buzzing in the air and if I'm really lucky...I might even get caught in a thunderstorm.

Tell me again why this is fun? :D

We could sure use a thunderstorm or two around here. Please send any rain you see up this way...

NCPatrick
09-07-2007, 14:18
I get to help my parents move into their new house. WOOOHOOO...Lots of heavy lifting.

I'd come to help you, but I'm... uh... too far away! Yep, that's the ticket!

Cannibal
09-07-2007, 14:31
We could sure use a thunderstorm or two around here. Please send any rain you see up this way...

I'll bring some "D" batteries and point my hammock fan north for ya! Be warned, beans & rice are on the menu. :eek:

NCPatrick
09-07-2007, 14:31
Girl Guides isn't co-ed here either, including barriers to participating if you're a father. I know of a number of girls who ended up in scouts because their fathers wanted to be involved. For some it's siblings. For others it may come down to the program offered.

In Girls Scouts here, there seems to be at least some opportunity for fathers to help out. I'm still exploring how I can fit in and help where I can (I'd like to do some hiking and camping with them, for instance, wherever I can help but not be in the way).

Quoddy
09-07-2007, 15:02
I came home after completing my almost four week thru hike of the Long Trail last week. I promised my wife we'd head out for about a week's vacation in Maine and New Hampshire this coming week. Gee, I wonder why I picked those locations to spend my time, and got the question why are you packing your hiking gear in the RV?

eflat7
09-07-2007, 15:12
I am considering trying a Solo hike in the next few weeks. Probably a very short trip at first, then bigger and better. Im definitely only a weekend warrior nowadays. Are there alot of soloists on the board? Whats your take on solo hammocking?

Cannibal
09-07-2007, 15:19
Whats your take on solo hammocking?

Only thing that would be better would be a built-in lightweight ice cream maker!

sk8rs_dad
09-07-2007, 15:30
Only thing that would be better would be a built-in lightweight ice cream maker!

Would 2 plastic bags be considered light weight?

http://crafts.kaboose.com/ice-cream-in-a-bag.html

Cannibal
09-07-2007, 15:36
That's actually kind of cool; have you tried it? Would be great for those car camping trips that most of my friends are interested in....wimps.

I'm gonna try it this weekend; pretty sure I already have all the ingredients.

sk8rs_dad
09-07-2007, 15:37
Other people I know have tried it with good success. We may be doing it with the beavers (5-7 year old kids) in a couple of weeks.

FanaticFringer
09-07-2007, 15:38
I am considering trying a Solo hike in the next few weeks. Probably a very short trip at first, then bigger and better. Im definitely only a weekend warrior nowadays. Are there alot of soloists on the board? Whats your take on solo hammocking?

I'm a weekend warrior also. Solo hammocking is pretty neat. I remember my first solo hang. I heard this loud screaching noise. I thought it was an owl but I later learned that deer sometimes make this noise. I then saw a deer who was not spooked by me. It takes most people a few outings to get used to being alone out there at night. Wondering if Freddy or Jason is lurking close by.:eek:

Cannibal
09-07-2007, 15:39
I can use ants for sprinkles! :D

turk
09-07-2007, 16:44
I would absolutely love to get involved with Scouts and become a leader.

But what with the red tape and politics of the leadership program....
I am afraid I would hit a brick wall when it came to the criminal record
check. :mad: :( Don't think they would even let me be an occasional
volunteer.

Ah well..... I will just go back to my old biased opinion that
the Canadian Scouts organization here in Ontario is a sad and pale
comparison to the incredible American program anyway.

Also a weekend warrior. Try to get out and hang at least 2 weekends a month.
Hiking, paddling or just car camping. If I can't get away for a
particular weekend, I am always backyard testing something.

Neighbours definitely think im a mental. :o Oh well ... gotta march to
your own tune. Better to be an odd duck than fall in with the sheeple.

T-BACK
09-07-2007, 17:14
I am always backyard testing something.
Neighbours definitely think im a mental. :o Oh well ... gotta march to
your own tune.

Me too. Any type of extreme weather draws me outside to test gear. One of my neighbors watches out the window when it starts raining to see if I come out to throw up a tarp in the rain. He just stands there and shakes his head. He explained to me once that most people head inside out of bad weather. It's one of those things that if you have to ask why, you won't understand the answer.

T-BACK
09-07-2007, 17:29

I like to hike with people. I enjoy the company. I've also learned to enjoy my own company and sometimes I just like to get away on my own. You'll see much more wildlife, and you decide how far your going for the day and when and where to eat and take breaks. No one's feelings to take into account but your own. If you've never been out alone before, take some tylenol PM with you. It helps with the soreness at the end of the day and will also help you to stay asleep. I get very drowsy with benedryl. One night at my house, a firetruck responded to a call across the street from me. I never even stirred in my hammock in the backyard. There were no sirens or horns but still that huge diesel engine and all the lights were pretty loud and bright. The next day, I had to go ask my neighbor if the truck was there because I didn't believe my wife. You can guess what kind of look I got when I returned home. At least she didn't say I told you so:rolleyes:

sk8rs_dad
09-07-2007, 17:35
But what with the red tape and politics of the leadership program....
I am afraid I would hit a brick wall when it came to the criminal record
check. :mad: :( Don't think they would even let me be an occasional
volunteer.

It depends on what the crime was. There is an exemption process for people without a clean police record. The relevant policy is here (http://sunshine.scouts.ca/bpp/Section%203000%2005.pdf).

I've found that the quality of the scouting program depends a great deal on the quality of the leaders, as does the program.

slowhike
09-07-2007, 18:22
I've found that the quality of the scouting program depends a great deal on the quality of the leaders, as does the program.

that's just as true in the US. some troops are fortunate enough to have the right leaders while others struggle along w/ far less enthusiasm.

give it a shot turk. if you find a good scout group & talk to the leaders, i would think they would be glad to have your experience.

Hooch
09-07-2007, 18:54
Remember for those who can't get out this weekend (Like me, I have to work), there's always the SEHHA Hangout next weekend. Hope to see plenty of y'all there. NCP, are you going to make it or not enough brownie points at home yet? :D

NCPatrick
09-07-2007, 19:41
It's not so much the brownie points this time, it's the fact that the 15th is my wife's birthday and she doesn't want to go to Hot Springs. Ah well, there's always next time.

I'm still planning to go to RRG, KY hang in November, if that's still on. (and of course the MAHHA trip in October). After that I'll go back to doing local hikes... are we all going back to Mt. Rogers in January (2nd annual HF winter hangout)?

Whoops, I'd better go hang my hammock in the backyard, it's almost time to go chill out there. Have a good weekend folks.

slowhike
09-07-2007, 21:38
[QUOTE=NCPatrick;27525]. are we all going back to Mt. Rogers in January (2nd annual HF winter hangout)?
QUOTE]

i certainly hope so!!!

Hooch
09-08-2007, 00:56
[QUOTE=NCPatrick;27525]. are we all going back to Mt. Rogers in January (2nd annual HF winter hangout)?
QUOTE]

i certainly hope so!!! If I can come up with an underquilt between now and then, I very well may be up for that one as well. I'm still very hopeful that the November RRG Hangout will happen. Hopefully Doctari will chime in on this as soon as he can. From my understanding, he's keeping a pretty busy schedule here recently.

slowhike
09-08-2007, 09:09
[QUOTE=slowhike;27528] If I can come up with an underquilt between now and then, I very well may be up for that one as well. I'm still very hopeful that the November RRG Hangout will happen. Hopefully Doctari will chime in on this as soon as he can. From my understanding, he's keeping a pretty busy schedule here recently.

if nothing else, i'm sure we can fix you up w/ an underquilt.

Hooch
09-08-2007, 09:15
[QUOTE=Hooch;27533]

if nothing else, i'm sure we can fix you up w/ an underquilt. I have quite a few other priorities, unfortunately, but would love to afford a SnugFit if I could eventually. I wonder if Ed would let me make installments? :D Even if I can't get an underquilt before then, I think I could come up with enough insulation to last a couple nights there. Hopefully by then, I'll have some DIY goodies done.

slowhike
09-08-2007, 09:22
[QUOTE=slowhike;27540] I have quite a few other priorities, unfortunately, but would love to afford a SnugFit if I could eventually. I wonder if Ed would let me make installments? :D Even if I can't get an underquilt before then, I think I could come up with enough insulation to last a couple nights there. Hopefully by then, I'll have some DIY goodies done.

if a person doesn't have an actual under quilt, it's really not a problem to rig something up.
at mt rogers last feb, we took an extra sleeping bag & secured it to the bottom of a hammock for "pandaman's" 1st night sleeping in a hammock.
it was so warm that he had to vent to keep from overheating:cool:

Hooch
09-08-2007, 09:27
[QUOTE=Hooch;27541]

if a person doesn't have an actual under quilt, it's really not a problem to rig something up.
at mt rogers last feb, we took an extra sleeping bag & secured it to the bottom of a hammock for "pandaman's" 1st night sleeping in a hammock.
it was so warm that he had to vent to keep from overheating:cool: I'm sure something can be worked out. I've not done any serious cold-weather camping yet, so I want to give it a go. That seems like a perfect opportunity to do it, especially with such a seasoned group of hammockers.

wamyteipen
09-12-2007, 21:15
I'm heading to Charles C. Deam Wilderness in my home state for a solo overnight hang Friday morning. I can't wait. I have lots of new mods and DIY stuff to field test.

Rapt
09-17-2007, 11:18
For those interested solo stuff... check solotripping.com

FanaticFringer
09-17-2007, 11:36
For those interested solo stuff... check solotripping.com

Cool site. Thanks.

wamyteipen
09-19-2007, 20:55
ditto that. Thanks.