TOB9595
05-23-2010, 18:26
Nicely done.
Evolution is coming along well
:)
Tom

SmokeBait
05-23-2010, 18:40
Very good Opie! The TRL just keeps getting better and better :)

SmokeBait

Cranky Bear
05-23-2010, 18:48
Very nice Opie, your stuff keeps getting better and better!!!!

SGT Rock
05-23-2010, 18:49
Nice demo. What does the rig weigh?

opie
05-23-2010, 18:53
1.1 ounces as shown or 31 grams.

There is 31' of 2.2mm zing it in the main line. 12" of 1.75mm in the each of the SSP and 11" in the prusik for the figure 9.

SGT Rock
05-23-2010, 18:54
That ain't shabby.

A little heavy for what I am doing though LOL.

opie
05-23-2010, 18:58
The 2 line system comes in at .7 ounces, 22 grams.

You could shave some more weight by using 1.75 on the main line... but for the masses I use the 2.2 because it allows the prusiks to lock better. Most want their TRL pretty taught. in order to do that with 1.75 on 1.75 you need to go with 4 or 5 wrap prusiks.

SGT Rock
05-23-2010, 19:11
I'm thinking of getting me a 9'x7' Cuben tarp at 4.5 ounces. I figure 4 ea 4' lines without shock cord (no stretch) and a system that would let me hang up to 25' between trees. Right now I've calculated that at about 17 grams for all the cords using 1.75mm line.

If I added 9' more line that would raise my line weight to about 20 grams. So what does figure 9 and bone thing weigh? Maybe I could fabricate SUL versions... :huh:

Shug
05-23-2010, 19:13
I'm thinking of getting me a 9'x7' Cuben tarp at 4.5 ounces. I figure 4 ea 4' lines without shock cord (no stretch) and a system that would let me hang up to 25' between trees. Right now I've calculated that at about 17 grams for all the cords using 1.75mm line.

If I added 9' more line that would raise my line weight to about 20 grams. So what does figure 9 and bone thing weigh? Maybe I could fabricate SUL versions... :huh:
Hawk-eye gave me one of those bones..... weighs not a thing!
Shug

SGT Rock
05-23-2010, 19:20
Hawk-eye gave me one of those bones..... weighs not a thing!
Shug

I was just looking at the specs, says it works with line between 2mm and 3mm. 1.75 is probably too small.

opie
05-23-2010, 19:23

The bone weighs 2 grams and the 9 weighs 4 grams.

You could always replace the 9 with a truckers hitch.

Let me try the 1.75 and see how it locks up.

ikemouser
05-23-2010, 19:24
I want a setup similar to this but hardwareless, i want to replace the hardware with some kind of prussic/nacra setup that would allow you to torque like a fig 9 to get it tight. Opie if you made a hardwareless setup, i think alot of people would be responsible for that.

opie
05-23-2010, 19:26
The 1.75 will lock up in both the 9 and knot bone.

edit: the 1.75 will slip out of the figure 9. The battery is dead in my scale, but if I had to guess at around 20 pounds.

ikemouser
05-23-2010, 19:28
Is this right, in order of lightest to heaviest?

Dynaglide
speer no tangle

ok if you don't know, just was wondering cause some guy said dg was heavier than 1.75 and i don't know where speer is in terms of weight.

SGT Rock
05-23-2010, 19:32
Thanks for the info, I gotta think about this. I like that set up.

opie
05-23-2010, 19:35
I want a setup similar to this but hardwareless, i want to replace the hardware with some kind of prussic/nacra setup that would allow you to torque like a fig 9 to get it tight. Opie if you made a hardwareless setup, i think alot of people would be responsible for that.

I tried that with the toggles. To many folks were unsatisfied with the lack of tension they were able to achieve with the RL.

If you have something you want built, I can make you a custom set-up. Just let me know exactly what youre thinking. Even if you have to draw it on a napkin and send it to me. Ill mock one up and test it out.

opie
05-23-2010, 19:40
Is this right, in order of lightest to heaviest?

Dynaglide
speer no tangle

ok if you don't know, just was wondering cause some guy said dg was heavier than 1.75 and i don't know where speer is in terms of weight.

2' of 1.75 weighs about 1 grams
2' of DG weighs 1 grams
2' of 2.2 weighs 2 grams

Longer sections would yield better weight results. I just grabbed these out of my drops bin. I dont have any Speer.

SGT Rock
05-23-2010, 20:04
Opie,

you think one of the plastic figure 9s would work for a gram weenie?

opie
05-23-2010, 20:09
Rock, I seem to remember someone testing one out and it wont hold up to the tension of a RL. I think they worked well for guy lines.... Just not a RL.

I was initially trying to use knot bones on both sides of the RL. It would save you 2 grams.... Its doable, but you lose the ability to crank some tension on the RL.

SGT Rock
05-23-2010, 20:11
Thanks for the feedback. Gives me something to study on.

opie
05-23-2010, 20:14
No problem.

Boris Losdindawoods
05-23-2010, 20:23
Flat - Out - COOL! I love that thing.

What's the deal with the pronounciation of Prusik? Do the mountaineering guys and the sailing guys pronounce it two different ways or what? I always pronounced it the same way Opie does and when I moved to South Carolina, all of the sailing guys looked at me like I had two heads. They pronounce it with a soft u like "bus". Anybody know for sure?

Boris

opie
05-23-2010, 20:24
I think its just different dialects.

Boris Losdindawoods
05-23-2010, 20:32
I grew up in Iowa. We don't have dialects. :p

opie
05-23-2010, 20:42
hahaha.. I grew up on the east coast.... Everytime I walk into a shop to order a soda... they say "what?"

ikemouser
05-23-2010, 21:09
yea i say soda or coke, used interchangeably, coke can mean pepsi as well. Hey opie, would this work you think, still make the V for the hammock suspension to run through:

Nacra prussic on one end of tarp ridgeline
wrap around tree 1, nacra is not wrapped around tree but before it
have a bowline loop on the end you wrapped around the tree
secure in nacra prussic, walk to other end, secure and tighten fig 9

Javaman
05-23-2010, 21:27
Seems like there are any number of ways to attached to tree #1, be it toggle, bone, nacra prussic, lop with line fed through, etc.

The figure 9 does seem to work the best so far for me on tree #2. I have added it to my ridge line and use in place of the original toggle tensioner.

Boris Losdindawoods
05-23-2010, 21:27
What are you talking about? Are you trying to say you want some pop? :sneaky:

Barefoot Child
05-23-2010, 22:22
Thankee Opie for the great and very informative video, keep up the good work brother. :)
And yep it sounds like IkeMouse should probably PM with a special order set-up from you, that way you could best serve his needs for him.

mbiraman
05-23-2010, 22:43
Very cool Opie. I like those bones.
And up here where we speak the Queens English, ( thats a laugh), we , climbers, say prussik as in bus.

TeeDee
05-24-2010, 15:16

Sgt Rock. My tarp ridge line weighs 16 g using 30' of 1.75 Lash-It. That includes 2 Prussics for the tarp and 3 Penberthy Prussics for a Truckers Hitch type arrangement that lets me pull the ridge line super tight. I use 3 trail toggles about 1/8" to 3/16" diameter, but since I don't carry those, they don't add to the weight. I use the Penberthy Prussics for the trucker hitch arrangement since I find they hold better than a regular Prussic. I find it simple to use and set-up. Sometimes I carry another 10' (approximately 5 g) of the 1.75 mm Lash-It if I think I may encounter large diameter trees.

BurningCedar
05-24-2010, 18:29
Very nicely done Opie! But, dangit, would you please quit improving things right after I order one :rolleyes:

I like the soft shackle addition to the TRL. I earlier had decided to permanently attach my TRL to my tarps and thought I could simply use a girth hitch to attach the tarp to the prussic loops. When I tried it, I discovered it would only work on first loop (as I couldn't pass the entire tarp through the second loop to finish the girth hitch). The soft shackle seems a simple and elegant solution!

Keep refining this stuff and soon everyone in the country will be talking about Opie lines!!!

Kukri
05-24-2010, 18:47
I just wanted to share that every time I see the "TRL" in your thread title, I read it as "Tactical Ridge Line" even though I know better. :lol: Everything is so tactical these days.

opie
05-24-2010, 18:48
Very nicely done Opie! But, dangit, would you please quit improving things right after I order one :rolleyes:

I like the soft shackle addition to the TRL. I earlier had decided to permanently attach my TRL to my tarps and thought I could simply use a girth hitch to attach the tarp to the prussic loops. When I tried it, I discovered it would only work on first loop (as I couldn't pass the entire tarp through the second loop to finish the girth hitch). The soft shackle seems a simple and elegant solution!

Keep refining this stuff and soon everyone in the country will be talking about Opie lines!!!

Cedar, you can accomplish what you are trying to do.

Take the second prusik off the line. Form the prusik wraps around a section of straw, bic pen etc. with the tube being just long enough to form the prusik loops. Now take that and larks head it to your tarp tie out and then pull the RL main line through the tube, then remove the tube.

opie
05-24-2010, 18:49
I just wanted to share that every time I see the "TRL" in your thread title, I read it as "Tactical Ridge Line" even though I know better. :lol: Everything is so tactical these days.

Or tactile.

I never got up with the whole tactical thing. Seems like a marketing gimick.

SGT Rock
05-24-2010, 19:31
Sgt Rock. My tarp ridge line weighs 16 g using 30' of 1.75 Lash-It...

Thanks for the example and I'm trying to wrap my head around this...

That includes 2 Prussics for the tarp
I get that.

and 3 Penberthy Prussics for a Truckers Hitch type arrangement that lets me pull the ridge line super tight I never heard of the penberthy prusik so I looked it up. I can see how this would replace a figure 9 and work like a truckers hitch with one on each end, but cannot figure where you put the third prusik. Help a poor hillbilly out.

I use 3 trail toggles about 1/8" to 3/16" diameter, but since I don't carry those, they don't add to the weight
And do you think the soft shackles like opie uses would work better than regular prusiks and toggles for the tarp attachment?

I use the Penberthy Prussics for the trucker hitch arrangement since I find they hold better than a regular Prussic. I find it simple to use and set-up. Sometimes I carry another 10' (approximately 5 g) of the 1.75 mm Lash-It if I think I may encounter large diameter trees.

BurningCedar
05-24-2010, 21:16
Cedar, you can accomplish what you are trying to do.

Take the second prusik off the line. Form the prusik wraps around a section of straw, bic pen etc. with the tube being just long enough to form the prusik loops. Now take that and larks head it to your tarp tie out and then pull the RL main line through the tube, then remove the tube.

Brilliant :D

ikemouser
05-24-2010, 22:02
Brilliant :D

Yea i had to go through the pen process too, annoying and took some time to get it down, but once i did, i felt like i really accomplished something! :D