PDA

View Full Version : 12' x 15' Cat Cut Tarp

cliff355
05-24-2010, 12:20
Brian's 12' x 15' cat-cut tarp was put into service for the first time in the BWCA last week (West Basswood). We had six consecutive days of the best weather I have ever seen up there so a tarp wasn't really necessary. However, I strung it up and it made a nice sun shade.

This is a big tarp, but it elbows its way into small areas very well. Had the weather been rough there would have been more than enough room to operate confortably in the "dry."

It weighs about a pound and a half, and can be stuffed into a coat pocket. This particular shade of grey seems to disappear in the woods and I had quite a bit of difficulty seeing it from the lake, so it is fairly "stealthy."

Probably most hangers would consider this overkill for a tarp, but weather up there can be horrendous. Last year we went out at the same time but departed from the landing in a white-out blizzard in 30 mph winds. It rained sideways for a week with the wind dropping to 15 mph at night. You never know what you will be in for up north, and this tarp is going to be a big comfort.

TOB9595
05-24-2010, 13:04
For me; HANGING is a comfort. Ya should have the tarp you feel most comfy with.
That is a HUGE TARP
hahahaha
Love your setup. What is your UQ and suspension system?
What are your guy lines?
VERY NICE pics
Tom

Dutch
05-24-2010, 13:09
You are not going to get wet.

cliff355
05-24-2010, 13:49
What is your UQ and suspension system?
What are your guy lines?

I'm using whoopie slings and the tree straps are from Clark. The UQ is a snugfit and guylines are Home Depot mason line with "micro line-locs.". The mason line works O.K., as do the line locs but I'm thinking about switching to something stiffer and just tie tautline hitches.

TOB9595
05-24-2010, 14:08
I use braided mason line on my 12x12 guy lines. How do your line locs hold up for you?
Why are you thinking about somethin a bit bigger?
Tom

russmay
05-24-2010, 15:11
That s a carport , right?

SmokeHouse
05-24-2010, 15:35
Thats what they call a family size tarp... ;)

Triggerhpy
05-24-2010, 16:52
Drool-drool. I think Noah is looking for his tarp.

Cannibal
05-24-2010, 17:04
Good golly Molly, that's a big tarp!
I know where everybody will be when it starts raining. :D

Kukri
05-24-2010, 18:53
Wow it looks like a spider's web with all those guylines all over the place. Organized chaos is all I can think to say, but I am a fan of big tarps so that's not a bad thing.

I have a Speer Winter Tarp and have been kicking around the idea of getting an even bigger one for my fiance and I to hang under in case we can't find any trees that are very close.

cliff355
05-25-2010, 06:43
How do your line locs hold up for you?
Why are you thinking about somethin a bit bigger?
Tom

The line locs held up fine and the "micro" size works perfectly with Home Depot mason line. They do not work with Menards line because it is just a bit thinner.

The only problem I ran into was when the line was not going to a peg without interference from brush. When tieing to a limb or threading the line through brush it tended to wrap itself around every little twig. I think this is due to how limp it is.

The stuff sack which came with this tarp had a drawstring which is blaze orange and probably a bit less than 2mm. A while back Brian mentioned he had some line identical to the stuff Ed Speer sells, so this may be "no tangle" or something similar. This orange line is stiff enough that 8" or so will stand out horizontally without support. By contrast, my mason line is totally limp - like wet spaghetti.

So, I may try to get some "no tangle" and see how that works. One thing I liked about the mason line was how visible it is, but no-tangle orange should be just as easy to see.

sclittlefield
05-25-2010, 10:34
You are not going to get wet.

Nor is anyone else nearby!

Young hanger
10-03-2010, 15:29
it makes my soon to be maccat micro seem microscopic

MacEntyre
10-03-2010, 17:06
Is the ridge 15' or 12' or either?

perrito
10-03-2010, 20:42
Who made this and where can I get one?!
:boggle:

Brian
10-03-2010, 21:30
MacEntyre,

That sucker has 2 15' ridgeline seams, but I can do one with 12' seams as well.

Lonely Raven
10-03-2010, 21:34
Cliff, did the finger in the photos cost extra?