PDA

View Full Version : MMG IX UQs - Major Improvements!

MacEntyre
06-09-2010, 12:52
For those of you who have ordered IX UQs and Jerry Chairs, but have not received them, take heart! Your wait will be well worth it.

I've made major improvements to the way the IX UQs and Jerry Chairs are constructed!

The basic two layers of the IX UQs are no longer separate. They are stitched together, then turned inside out, so the finished product looks much better. Of course, inserts are still separate and nestable.
All the darts are on the inside, between the layers, so that their bulk provides additional spacing between the layers, just as do the InsulTubes.
The IX UQs are now Differential Cut! The outer layer is slightly larger than the inner layer, making it easier to suspend. It will be less critical that you hang the IX UQ without it being tight against the hammock.
The edges are no longer bound with grosgrain, which makes them even lighter!

I can't wait to hear from the folks whose IX UQs and Jerry Chairs I will complete this week and next!

- MacEntyre

UncleMJM
06-09-2010, 12:55
So, if I like the IX/Jerry Chair/UQ I got about 4 weeks ago, do I need to be envious of the kids that get theirs next week?

Mine worked great for my hike, although it did not drop below 52* :)

MacEntyre
06-09-2010, 15:11
The Jerry Chair will look even better, but it's the IX UQs that really benefit from these changes!

wou42
06-09-2010, 15:13
Great news! Now I'm glad I haven't received mine yet! Looking forward to trying it out.

BigRed77
06-09-2010, 15:21
Great I can't wait to get mine.

BigRed

millergear
06-09-2010, 15:46
The basic two layers of the IX UQs are no longer separate. They are stitched together

Would that be the MMM, "Muttering Millergear Mod"?

MacEntyre
06-09-2010, 15:55
Would that be the MMM, "Muttering Millergear Mod"?
Well, your suggestions certainly helped... I was already thinking about sewing layers 1 & 2 together last week. You helped me decide that it had merit beyond what I was thinking at first. :cool:

Ewker
06-09-2010, 16:10
I've made major improvements to the way the IX UQs and Jerry Chairs are constructed!

The basic two layers of the IX UQs are no longer separate. They are stitched together, then turned inside out, so the finished product looks much better. Of course, inserts are still separate and nestable.
All the darts are on the inside, between the layers, so that their bulk provides additional spacing between the layers, just as do the InsulTubes.
The IX UQs are now Differential Cut! The outer layer is slightly larger than the inner layer, making it easier to suspend. It will be less critical that you hang the IX UQ without it being tight against the hammock.
The edges are no longer bound with grosgrain, which makes them even lighter!

- MacEntyre

well hopefully one day i will get to see one on a hammock.

I know you are working with those other folks on here (name escapes me) but will they make them like this or is this just when you make them?

MacEntyre
06-09-2010, 16:31
...will they make them like this or is this just when you make them?
Calls for Speculation. Strike the question!

Ewker
06-09-2010, 17:47
Strike the question!

strike it with what :lol:

MacEntyre
06-09-2010, 18:06
Ewker, I am sure that SmithOBX and Darby at Tree to Tree Trail Gear (http://www.TTTrailGear.com) will do a great job making Molly Mac Gear, just as they are doing with Speer Hammocks products and their own Switchback hammock. There is no doubt in my mind that they will far exceed everyone's expectations.

- MacEntyre

Cannibal
06-09-2010, 19:03
There is no doubt in my mind that they will far exceed everyone's expectations.
I completely agree. :cool:
The only piece of their gear I've seen close-up is my Switchback, but if it's any indication of their overall quality, then there should be no worries.

Dutch
06-09-2010, 19:23
This all sounds good. Lighter, better and easier to hang.

wisenber
06-14-2010, 23:31
What's the wait time on your products at present?

dejoha
06-14-2010, 23:40

I am jealous, although, this is the price for being an early adopter... I actually just sewed up the IX UQ you sent me because the two layers kept separating, making it difficult to hang. The baffles would also be great. I wish it were a little wider too. Maybe I'll wait for version 3 and get the next iteration.

I have really high hopes in this working!

Can I send back my IQ UQ for a retro-fit?

MacEntyre
06-15-2010, 06:15
I wish it were a little wider too.
I used the WBBB IX UQ on my 11'x5' DIY hammock last weekend. It occurred to me that this, the largest IX UQ, might be used by any large person in any hammock! The Large IX UQ is similar, just has a narrower foot than the WBBB IX UQ.

Can I send back my IQ UQ for a retro-fit?
Yes! If you are not happy with it for any reason, I'll be glad to replace it with a new IX UQ or Jerry Chair.