PDA

View Full Version : Suitable insulation system?

hutzelbein
06-11-2010, 07:26
Hello helpful people -

following the recommendations in this forum, I ordered a WB BB, but I still need to add some kind of insulation. Since I have no experience with hammock camping (yet), I would like to hear the opinions of experienced hangers.

My question is: which insulation would you pick in my place?

The situation is a follows:

I will be travelling for a longer time in different climates (moderate to tropical).
I assume that I will be mostly in a 3-season-situation: at the moment I don't plan to sleep outdoors when it's excessively cold. Nontheless I would like my insulation system be able to deal with temperatures down to 0°C (32°F).
I am limited by the fact that I have to carry everything with me - it would not make sense to have completely different systems for each climate.
I expect to go to ground now and then, since there won't be hanging options in all regions.
Of course the system should take up as little space as possible and be reasonably light.
I intend to travel mostly by bike, but also do some hiking: weight is an issue, but not so much as if I would go hiking exclusively. I could select and take only parts of the complete equipment when hiking.
I'm a (very) cold sleeper.
I hate drafts.

I realize that the best solution would be to try out different systems, and then pick the one that works best for me. Unfortunately there is not sufficient time to do this. In addition I'm located in Europe, which means that I need to factor in the long(er) shipping times.

Your input is very much appreciated.

-hutzelbein

gargoyle
06-11-2010, 07:35
Your choice of a BB is a good one. Give Brandon your details and let him get all your gear. One shipping fee has got to be better than three or four shipments coming seperately.
The yeti uq is a popular choice, his topquilt is too. I've not used either, but I've seen them and they are really nice. Pack small.
Might as well get one of his tarps too.

mbiraman
06-11-2010, 07:51
Welcome Hutzlbein . Because of the temps your talking about , your need to go to ground once and a while and your sensitivity to drafts i would suggest you get a yeti underquilt from warbonnet and something like a golite 20 sleeping bag that you can open over you or use as a bag on the ground or one of the wide quilts from Jacks r better to eliminate the draft situation. I have one of the jacks quilts and its awesome , i'm sure they could asist you as can stormcrow or warbonnet with your Topquilt needs. Good luck in your travels .

hutzelbein
06-11-2010, 09:30
I already ordered the Superfly plus doors together with the hammock. :)

I'm still a bit hesitant to get a down underquilt. Wouldn't something like an Insultex underquilt be a good idea, especially for areas with high humidity?

At the moment I'm not considering a top quilt, yet, since I have 2 sleeping bags that I want to try first (forgot to mention this).

I like the "hammock sock" idea. However, I couldn't find any non-DIY versions. Is there a reason why socks aren't more popular? I would imagine that they have quite an impact, seeing that they keep cold air from entering the hammock. Am I wrong here?

Thanks!

hutzelbein
06-11-2010, 09:36
I have one of the jacks quilts and its awesome , i'm sure they could asist you as can stormcrow or warbonnet with your Topquilt needs.

Does a top quilt eliminate drafts in the head area? Maybe I didn't get the concept: I thought it's used like a blanket?

Knotty
06-11-2010, 10:37
Does a top quilt eliminate drafts in the head area? Maybe I didn't get the concept: I thought it's used like a blanket?

A top quilt is a lot like using a blanket but it usually has an enclosed footbox. It doesn't provide head coverage. I like top quilts but if you're very sensitive to drafts a mummy bag may be better. With a TQ you always have to be careful about how you shift position to avoid letting cold air in.

Raul Perez
06-11-2010, 10:47
I would suggest if you are gonna go to the ground not to go with the underquilt as it is useless on the ground. I would suggest going with a ccf pad or a gossamer gear 1/4 inch wide thinlight pad. Got it down to 50* on a nap in the winter and I'm a cold sleeper as well.

beep
06-11-2010, 11:27
A combination of the WB Yeti 3-season UQ with the Jacks-r-Better Torso Pad would be a good combination. The 40"x26" pad is big enough for a go-to-ground torso pad, but offers effective leg and foot insulation in a WBBB down to freezing or a bit below. It weighs only 6.5 oz and is a real bargain at $9.95. On the ground you can use a pack under your legs. The Yeti 3-season has been good for me down to temps between 25 and 30 degrees Fahrenheit using a 25 degree down bag and appropriate clothing. The Yeti is lightweight and packs very small...good for most situations.

pgibson
06-11-2010, 11:52
For the humid conditions synthetic insulation would be a good choice if you are concerned about the use of down gear in the conditions you expect. We have a huge range of quilts both under and top and can add IX to them to boost the performance.

ringtail-THFKAfood
06-11-2010, 16:46
For bottom insulation a combination of NeoAir and ccf pads are best for going to the ground.

A hood will keep your head warm:

http://katabaticgear.com/shop/category/hoods/

For the top a quilt designed for hammock use is not wide enough - maybe:

http://katabaticgear.com/shop/sawatch-sleeping-bag/

hutzelbein
06-12-2010, 05:50
Just noticed that I used the wrong category; been meaning to post in "Bottom Insulation". Sorry for that.

I've been looking at a couple of underquilts. If I go for an underquilt instead of pads and/or some weather shield system, I would think a full length quilt would be a good idea. I somehow can't imagine that a 3/4 quilt is as nice to use, but then I have never tried either. If I understood correctly, a 3/4 quilt means that you have to use additional insulation for the feet (no problem) and the head (more of a problem, as I'm more sensitive in this area). Or is this a non-issue in practice?

I've also discovered the Bear Burrito Oven (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/895179#): it seems that this would add warmth, especially when it's windy. Or would this be overkill?

-hutzelbein

Shug
06-12-2010, 08:52
Just noticed that I used the wrong category; been meaning to post in "Bottom Insulation". Sorry for that.

I've been looking at a couple of underquilts. If I go for an underquilt instead of pads and/or some weather shield system, I would think a full length quilt would be a good idea. I somehow can't imagine that a 3/4 quilt is as nice to use, but then I have never tried either. If I understood correctly, a 3/4 quilt means that you have to use additional insulation for the feet (no problem) and the head (more of a problem, as I'm more sensitive in this area). Or is this a non-issue in practice?

I've also discovered the Bear Burrito Oven (http://arrowheadequipment.webs.com/apps/webstore/products/show/895179#): it seems that this would add warmth, especially when it's windy. Or would this be overkill?

-hutzelbein
You will need a short piece of foam or such under your feet with a 3/4 UQ .... but it takes up less room in your pack. Either long or short is good ... personal choice.
A good balaclava and hood/hat combo is terrific for the noggin.
The BBO will for sure cut down on drafts ... as will zipping up mosquito netting.

I have a video series on hammocking on here that may give you some thoughts: Shug's Hammock How-To for New Irish Fellers!!! (http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=15516)
Cheers,
Shug

Airborne
06-13-2010, 02:19
Hello helpful people -

following the recommendations in this forum, I ordered a WB BB, but I still need to add some kind of insulation. Since I have no experience with hammock camping (yet), I would like to hear the opinions of experienced hangers.

My question is: which insulation would you pick in my place?

The situation is a follows:

I will be travelling for a longer time in different climates (moderate to tropical).
I assume that I will be mostly in a 3-season-situation: at the moment I don't plan to sleep outdoors when it's excessively cold. Nontheless I would like my insulation system be able to deal with temperatures down to 0°C (32°F).
I am limited by the fact that I have to carry everything with me - it would not make sense to have completely different systems for each climate.
I expect to go to ground now and then, since there won't be hanging options in all regions.
Of course the system should take up as little space as possible and be reasonably light.
I intend to travel mostly by bike, but also do some hiking: weight is an issue, but not so much as if I would go hiking exclusively. I could select and take only parts of the complete equipment when hiking.
I'm a (very) cold sleeper.
I hate drafts.

I realize that the best solution would be to try out different systems, and then pick the one that works best for me. Unfortunately there is not sufficient time to do this. In addition I'm located in Europe, which means that I need to factor in the long(er) shipping times.

Your input is very much appreciated.

-hutzelbein
Having traveled Europe many years, I know what you mean by trying to figure out temps and insulation. Hope you will not be offended, but how are you traveling (bike, walking, by air)? Many locations in Europe have very little trees or none (i.e. in the Alps) and many of the places that there are trees (furs, for example) you are not allowed to cut.... You can fly on Rayan Air for 25 euro almost anywhere in Europe. Given that, and you are aware, this must be a bike, hiking on foot adventure, but you have the option of not staying outside if the need arises? Correct?

I am new to hammocking myself, but not new to European travel. How are you planning on going from x to y?

HappyCamper
06-13-2010, 06:02
I like the "hammock sock" idea. However, I couldn't find any non-DIY versions. Is there a reason why socks aren't more popular? I would imagine that they have quite an impact, seeing that they keep cold air from entering the hammock. Am I wrong here?

Thanks!

You're right, I think there are only DIY versions. Socks were extremely popular at one time, but then chatter on them quieted down when people started experimenting with larger tarps that can be tied shut at the ends and staked down with the sides close to the ground. Then came tarp doors, which you can now get from people like Warbonnet and 2Q. Tarps with doors are more versatile than a sock.

hutzelbein
06-13-2010, 07:23
You're right, I think there are only DIY versions. Socks were extremely popular at one time, but then chatter on them quieted down when people started experimenting with larger tarps that can be tied shut at the ends and staked down with the sides close to the ground. Then came tarp doors, which you can now get from people like Warbonnet and 2Q. Tarps with doors are more versatile than a sock.

Interesting. I never thought of the sock as a replacement for sufficient coverage, but rather as an addition that helps to warm up the air inside of the hammock. I might get the Bear Burrito Oven out of curiosity and see how much of a difference it makes and if the added warmth is worth the extra weight.

You will need a short piece of foam or such under your feet with a 3/4 UQ .... but it takes up less room in your pack. Either long or short is good ... personal choice.

I think I'm leaning towards a longer underquilt that I might be able to use as an extra blanket in hostels or when going ground. But I decided to follow your advice and start experimenting with a couple of pads and see how that works. Underquilts sound incredibly comfortable, but it would be great if it would be multi-use. I guess I'll probably end up with a quilt/pad combo that will be useful on the ground as well.

Hope you will not be offended, but how are you traveling (bike, walking, by air)? Many locations in Europe have very little trees or none (i.e. in the Alps) and many of the places that there are trees (furs, for example) you are not allowed to cut.... You can fly on Rayan Air for 25 euro almost anywhere in Europe. Given that, and you are aware, this must be a bike, hiking on foot adventure, but you have the option of not staying outside if the need arises? Correct?

Not offended at all. The plan is to travel by bicycle, plus bus/train/plane for very long distances.

With regards to the hanging options: I don't think that a lack of trees will be a problem in e.g. Germany. But I'm not sure how open minded the campsites are, i.e. if they will allow campers to put up a hammock. I have never seen camping hammocks used :) I will post another thread about that later on, to see what the experiences of other people is.

Thanks for all the replies!

-hutzelbein

wisenber
06-13-2010, 09:12
I would take a sleeping pad in Europe. The possible need to go to ground will be pretty high in many areas. Plan on lots of stealth camping as well since the rules on camping are vague at best there.