PDA

View Full Version : Overnighter RRG 9/29

Hooch
09-19-2007, 16:09
Anyone up for an overnighter @ RRG on Saturday, 9/29/07? E-mail or PM me if you're interested. :D

Big E
09-19-2007, 16:12
I'm actually going down the night before with a group from my church so I'll be there, just a day early!

wamyteipen
09-19-2007, 20:38
Hmmm. Let me see if I can talk my wife into letting me go. I've been pushing it lately but you never know. I told her I wanted to get one more overnighter in before my GSMNP trip mid October. I love RRG.

headchange4u
09-20-2007, 08:36
I'm off work that weekend so if nothing comes up I should be able to join you.

Hooch
09-20-2007, 08:58
I'm off work that weekend so if nothing comes up I should be able to join you.
Cool, HC. I hadn't really thought about it too much yet, any ideas where to camp? I had considered going back down Buck Trail to the same area that Big E and I camped at. Any suggestions? Other good hanging spots that aren't too difficult to access?

rigidpsycho
09-20-2007, 09:05
would love to come, but already have plans. Taking kids to a native american powwow in Richmond,ky

Coffee
09-20-2007, 11:37
Anyone up for an overnighter @ RRG on Saturday, 9/29/07? E-mail or PM me if you're interested. :D

Crap I can't make it.:mad:

Sorry I couldn't resist rubbing it in a little. I'll be in either NJ or possibly PA by then if anyone wants to join me.:p

Doctari
09-20-2007, 16:59
Um, ,

Maybe.

I'm not planning anything that weekend, soooooo, I'll PM you when I is sure.

Doctari.

slowhike
09-20-2007, 19:18
Crap I can't make it.:mad:

Sorry I couldn't resist rubbing it in a little. I'll be in either NJ or possibly PA by then if anyone wants to join me.:p

rub it in, rub it in... maybe it'll work out that i can hook up w/ you in N.C. or VA.
i'd like to see RRG when i can, but i plan to be taking part in a group camp at greyson highlands st park that week end.

Hooch
09-30-2007, 19:04
Well, folks, we're back from RRG and it was GREAT to be outside and get a good hang and a wonderful hike. I'm sure Doctari, my hiking partner for the weekend will chime in on this too, particularly considering the amount of time he's spent at the Gorge. He's much more familiar with it, but I'll tell ya what I can. We made it to the Gorge after much ado trying to get to a safe place for Doctari to park his van. A bunch of uptown Lexington was closed due to the Race for the Cure 5k event. Once we finally made it to the parking deck, got on the road and drove to the Gorge, it was well after noon, but still early enough to hike in a good way. We parked at the Swinging Bridge parking lot and took the Sheltowee Trace Trail in a couple miles and then took Rough Trail 221 in. This trail is most appropriately named, for sure. A challenge for a slow hiker like me, but a good hike nonetheless. We made camp about 2 miles from Gray's Arch off the trail near where some groundlings were camped and making entirely too much noise. BTW, Doctari definitely knows how to find a good campsite. Anyway, we were so sleepy by the time we got there that we didn't care. Once we got camp made, dinner down and all the cleanup completed, we were both ready to crash. So, not horribly long after 6pm, we both hit the hammocks, ready to sleep. I didn't get cool until the sun went down, then I got in my sleeping bag on top pf my CCF pad. It was a good cool night, the kind that is just totally conducive to a good night's rest. It was a good hang, with clear skies and no rain. I hung my tarp, but didn't stake down one side and folded it back. The next morning after we FINALLY got up, we made breakfast and hiked the rest of the way to Gray's Arch after breaking camp. The arch was absolutely breathtaking. My first trip to RRG with Big E made me want to come back for more, but now I really am in love with this place. I hope to see much, much more of it. We had a good hike out, a nice drive back to Lexington for Doctari to claim his van and me to get home. I still have the lovely "hiker perfume" on, so I'm off to shower. I certainly hope that we can get more folks from HF to go up there sometime, it's "Gorge-ous"! Get it? :D

NCPatrick
09-30-2007, 19:50
Sounds like yet another great time at RRG Hooch. I'm still hoping to get to meet you out that way in November.

Shadowmoss
09-30-2007, 19:54
Did the two of you 'sleep' in waiting for the other one to wake up and start moving around like you, cerberus and I did all morning at Hot Springs?

Doctari
09-30-2007, 20:13
Yep, a GREAT time!

I'm ready to go back now (since my shower :) ).

Doctari.

NCPatrick
09-30-2007, 20:14
Yep, a GREAT time!

I'm ready to go back now (since my shower :) ).

Doctari.

I'm looking forward to the pictures, assuming your camera worked. ;)

Hooch
10-01-2007, 00:47
No pictures on this one. We both were slick enough to forget our cameras. You can see it up close and personal in November if you come up NCP. :D

Hooch
10-01-2007, 03:59
Did the two of you 'sleep' in waiting for the other one to wake up and start moving around like you, cerberus and I did all morning at Hot Springs? Nah, when I got up, Doctari was still snoozin' away. By the time I woke up, I was so hungry that I didn't want to stay in my hammock any longer at all and proceeded to have my favorite backpacker breakfast (Raisin, Date and Walnut oatmeal with extra raisins and walnuts with a swirl of honey. Yum!). :D

Big E
10-01-2007, 06:32
Sweet trip. Did you all camp at the spot that we may be using for the November outing?

Hooch
10-01-2007, 06:48
Sweet trip. Did you all camp at the spot that we may be using for the November outing?I'm not sure. I really don't know what spot we're using for the November Hang, so I can't say. I do think it'd be a good spot for at least a half-dozen hammocks though, maybe more.

headchange4u
10-01-2007, 10:10
I was really bummed I couldn't make it this weekend. I was thinking about what a nice hang you guys were having. It was beautiful Saturday.

Doctari
10-02-2007, 12:44
Sweet trip. Did you all camp at the spot that we may be using for the November outing?

Nope, but we were within about 1.5 miles of each sites I suggested. The valley we stayed in could actually support 50 or so hangers, with a large area for a fire & socalizing AND there is water there. Hammock Engeneer & I hiked there in about 2 hrs after Trail Days this year.

SOOOOO, , , , , , , , ,

Big E
10-02-2007, 16:54
I'm in, let's do it. Did you guys ever settle on the correct weekend for November?

NCPatrick
10-03-2007, 13:04
Who's going to bring the Blue Moon and oranges?

Hooch
10-03-2007, 13:08
Who's going to bring the Blue Moon and oranges?I dunno, I'm not a big fan of beer when it's cool/cold and I'm staying outside. But I may break down and bring a 6'er. :D

NCPatrick
10-03-2007, 13:11
Not a big fan of cold beer? Hmmm... :D

Hooch
10-03-2007, 13:13
Not a big fan of cold beer? Hmmm... :D I got no problems with cold beer at all. I just don't drink a lot of it when It's cold outside and I'm staying in it. But I'll probably break down and have a couple.