PDA

View Full Version : Help with Huggers/Modifications??

Rick
09-20-2007, 19:29
OK, Newbie hammocker here.
I have the HH Deluxe Explorer. It comes with 42" Huggers. If a tree is less than that in diameter, but not enough to wrap the huggers around twice, do you still use the huggers and tie off even if the ends are 10" from the tree trunk?
Conversely, if they only go 3/4 of the way around the tree, do you still use huggers and loop your knot around and between the rope and the tree trunk now?

has anyone used Mil-spec sewn tubular runners or webbing instead of stock huggers? My thought is that with a 72" piece of webbing or runner, I could quickly tie a water knot and use a 'biner to tie my hammock rope into.
Any other thoughts on this.
I see you folks are a pretty creative group and I am not that comfortable with the sewn loops on the ends of my OEM huggers...
Thanks
Rick

Dutch
09-20-2007, 19:49
Hey Rick it is nice to see a fellow PAer here. I think that the HH expolerer stock tree huggers and overkill unless you are close to the weight capacity. They use seatbelt material and they weigh quit a bit. Wrapping it 2x around the tree is fine and also coming up short and using the spectra to bridge the difference is fine too. I have seen where and webbing box stitch came undone on someone on this site, but if you put enough box stiches and backtacks on it I think it will hold anything. I have tubular webbing, but I prefer the webbing from Speer because it is lighter and at a good price. Some people find tie down straps cheaply and use the webbing from them.

Geechee
09-21-2007, 08:34
I’ve used the 1 inch metal slider from www.onrope1.com ($1.50 plus shipping) to form a loop in my 1 inch polyester webbing and haven’t had any trouble with it holding. I do thread it through and then back again on itself as a safety factor though. It’s much easier than sewing a loop and adjustable too.

Rapt
09-21-2007, 15:18
A properly sewn loop should be as strong or stronger than a knot... Emphasis on "properly" sewn...

:)

As you'll see there's lots of options for suspension and attachments, thats part of the fun.

Cannibal
09-21-2007, 15:26
As you'll see there's lots of options for suspension and attachments, thats part of the fun.

Yep! I like knots and lashings (sometimes), but once you use one of the easy set-up options out there (rings, buckles and the like) it's awfully hard to get excited about tree huggers. Way too much of a PITA for me now that I've gotten spoiled.

FanaticFringer
09-21-2007, 15:44
Yep! I like knots and lashings (sometimes), but once you use one of the easy set-up options out there (rings, buckles and the like) it's awfully hard to get excited about tree huggers. Way too much of a PITA for me now that I've gotten spoiled.

Preach it bro.:D

BillyBob58
09-21-2007, 16:43
I’ve used the 1 inch metal slider from www.onrope1.com ($1.50 plus shipping) to form a loop in my 1 inch polyester webbing and haven’t had any trouble with it holding. I do thread it through and then back again on itself as a safety factor though. It’s much easier than sewing a loop and adjustable too.

Trying to picture your set up. It sounds a little dif from most of the cinch buckles ( same as your "metal slider? )setups around here. Are you saying you put the webbing thru the buckle, around the tree and back thru the buckle?

What type hammock?

Geechee
09-21-2007, 17:39
My buckle to make the loop coming off the tree is a metal slider, not a cinch buckle. I have used it for both the stake hitch (see picture in thread) and with the cinch buckle and ring buckles. It's just forming a loop with a buckle rather than sewing a loop.

Hector
09-21-2007, 17:45
OK, Newbie hammocker here.
I have the HH Deluxe Explorer. It comes with 42" Huggers. If a tree is less than that in diameter, but not enough to wrap the huggers around twice, do you still use the huggers and tie off even if the ends are 10" from the tree trunk?
Conversely, if they only go 3/4 of the way around the tree, do you still use huggers and loop your knot around and between the rope and the tree trunk now?

Yes on both counts. I've hung a lot of times on the same set of huggers without any problems. If you want to change to make something easier, go for it. I wouldn't worry about the huggers giving way, though, as long as they're undamaged, and they seem to be tough buggers.

warbonnetguy
09-21-2007, 19:32
the 1" camo polyester webbing from www.owfinc.com is rated to 2000#, and is very light and low stretch.

if you can't sew loops, a local seamstress could do it in about 5 mins, probably for very cheap.

if you order the webbing from www.strapworks.com you can have them sew the loops for you for less than 5$ extra, but they only have 3500# polyester webbing which is almost twice as heavy.

i would go with sewn loops for 2 reasons. sewn loops are stronger than knots, and it is much less bulky. if you wrap the tree and thread one loop through the other, a sewn loop is easier to pass through and take out than a big fat knot.

go with polyester though. nylon sucks b/c of stretch and polypro is weak for it's weight. 1" polypro (heavy weight) is only rated to 800#. sounds like alot, but i think slowhike broke some. bet he had sewn loops too, knotted would break even easier. remember, forces involved are much higher than actual bodyweight due to the angles involved with a hang.

FanaticFringer
09-21-2007, 19:56
the 1" camo polyester webbing from www.owfinc.com is rated to 2000#, and is very light and low stretch.

if you can't sew loops, a local seamstress could do it in about 5 mins, probably for very cheap.

if you order the webbing from www.strapworks.com you can have them sew the loops for you for less than 5$ extra, but they only have 3500# polyester webbing which is almost twice as heavy.

i would go with sewn loops for 2 reasons. sewn loops are stronger than knots, and it is much less bulky. if you wrap the tree and thread one loop through the other, a sewn loop is easier to pass through and take out than a big fat knot.

go with polyester though. nylon sucks b/c of stretch and polypro is weak for it's weight. 1" polypro (heavy weight) is only rated to 800#. sounds like alot, but i think slowhike broke some. bet he had sewn loops too, knotted would break even easier. remember, forces involved are much higher than actual bodyweight due to the angles involved with a hang.

I just bought some of that 1" camo polyester webbing. I really like it.
Slowhike you still thinking about getting some?

slowhike
09-21-2007, 22:10
I just bought some of that 1" camo polyester webbing. I really like it.
Slowhike you still thinking about getting some?

yep. how much did they charge for shipping?

warbonnetguy
09-21-2007, 22:12
should be about 5$

slowhike
09-21-2007, 22:17
we were talking at hot springs about how useful it would be if testing could be done on some of the available webbings, in a way that tests to the breaking point w/ no other interference (knots for instance).
several tests for each type webbing would be reassuring.
if anyone wanted to get set up for that, i'm sure others would help defray the cost.

warbonnetguy
09-21-2007, 22:36
we were talking at hot springs about how useful it would be if testing could be done on some of the available webbings, in a way that tests to the breaking point w/ no other interference (knots for instance).
several tests for each type webbing would be reassuring.
if anyone wanted to get set up for that, i'm sure others would help defray the cost.

most webbings are strength rated, i bet you would find similar results. i think a sewn loop is only 90% or so as strong as the breaking strength of the webbing.

i think it would be interesting to do a test about how much force is on a weighted suspension compared to the actual weight of the user.

FanaticFringer
09-22-2007, 04:43
Shipping was $4.60

slowhike
09-22-2007, 09:59
i was trying to remember what was said about the other poly webbing that OWF offers.
i saw that it was about twice as expensive. what about the color & the weight.
warbonnet, did you get the rating of the camo by calling them?

warbonnetguy
09-22-2007, 10:04
the camo, i was told, is rated to 2000#. i weighed it at 6.125g/ft.

the other stuff is way heavier. even heavier than the strapworks if i remember corectly

i was trying to remember what was said about the other poly webbing that OWF offers.
i saw that it was about twice as expensive. what about the color & the weight.
warbonnet, did you get the rating of the camo by calling them?

stoikurt
09-23-2007, 22:04
Welcome Rick,
I have used the stock Huggers both ways and it works. If the ends are away from the tree it's easy to move the hammock up or down the tree if you need to. If they don't completely wrap around the tree use a couple sticks under the webbing to make it easier to tie through the loops.

That being said, I've switched to rings and/or buckles many months ago. I have both systems on different hammocks and like them both but lean more toward the cinch buckles. Matter of fact, I just helped a lady here convert her HH to Ring Buckles yesterday.

JoeHiker
09-27-2007, 13:39
I just bought a few different lengths and diameters of tree huggers and carry them around with me. The flexibility that gives me in choosing trees and setups is worth the extra few ounces to me.

Lorethian
09-30-2007, 11:06
Help me out here guys, I am so new at this I am having problems figuring all this loop stuff out. I use the stock tree huggers now but frankly I am running into the same issues with finding the right size trees. Do you all have any pics on your setups I could figure out?

FanaticFringer
09-30-2007, 11:16
Help me out here guys, I am so new at this I am having problems figuring all this loop stuff out. I use the stock tree huggers now but frankly I am running into the same issues with finding the right size trees. Do you all have any pics on your setups I could figure out?

www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1708&catid=member&imageuser=45
www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1709&catid=member&imageuser=45

Lorethian
09-30-2007, 16:25
Thanks Fanatic but here is my problem. I am using the HH Explorer Deluxe. So the rope is quite thick comming off the hammock. How would I do it with that? Or, does anyone have an example?

FanaticFringer
09-30-2007, 16:33
Thanks Fanatic but here is my problem. I am using the HH Explorer Deluxe. So the rope is quite thick comming off the hammock. How would I do it with that? Or, does anyone have an example?

I've heard of it being done with the thicker Hennessy rope. I believe it would go around the buckle 2 or three times. Others have switched out the larger stock rope to smaller rope. There are directions on doing that somewhere on the forum.
Here's some pics at the bottom from Grizzly Adams using rings after removing his stock rope..www.hammockforums.net/gallery/browseimages.php?do=member&catid=member&imageuser=423&page=12

stoikurt
09-30-2007, 16:40
If Lorethian's stock rope is as big as the stock rope that came on mine there is no way it could be used with the Cinch Buckles. I recommend doing a complete changes and eliminating the stock rope altogether.

Lorethian
09-30-2007, 19:19
Guys I am scared to death of this. Tell me what type of rope are you thinking I should repleace this with? Do I just cut open the connection at the hammock or do I need to make a splice on the rope?

hangnout
09-30-2007, 19:44
http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1623&highlight=garda

You can use your stock rope if you use the gardhitch described in the thread linked above. I have been using it and it works fine with a half hitch as a stopper knot. No cutting of stock rope required.

FanaticFringer
09-30-2007, 19:48
Guys I am scared to death of this. Tell me what type of rope are you thinking I should repleace this with? Do I just cut open the connection at the hammock or do I need to make a splice on the rope?

Either of these ropes would work well.
www.apsltd.com/Tree/d282000/e279928.asp
rated to 1200lbs.

www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e276769.asp

I use the Spyderline 5/32 on mine.

Cant help you with the details. Grizzly?

angrysparrow
09-30-2007, 20:29

No need to be scared, it's just some knotted rope. :)

The easiest/best way to do the mod on your hammock is to simply replace the stock rope with something like the 5/32" Spyderline linked above. Here are some pics of how I modded my HHEULA in exactly the manner you're asking about:

1 (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=988&c=3), 2 (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=989&c=3), 3 (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=990&c=3), 4 (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=991&c=3), 5 (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=992&c=3), 6 (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=993&c=3), 7 (http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=994&c=3)

Pay particular attention to photo #7. It is tied in exactly the same way as the original HH knot, but using a doubled up line instead of a single strand. Don't hesitate to open up the knot covers on your hammock, because you'll see that it's quite simple when you take a close look.

Good luck!

Lorethian
09-30-2007, 21:45
Thanks for the great photos, but let me ask a couple of questions.

1: As I look at this it seems the line on the tree side is what you cinch with. Does this cause any stress on the bark?

2: Do you find any slipping in rain with this setup?

3: I am a bigger guy (250), think I will have any problems?

4: Could I get some links from you on where you got all of that setup? I need the materials to make it happen.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

FanaticFringer
09-30-2007, 22:11
Thanks for the great photos, but let me ask a couple of questions.

1: As I look at this it seems the line on the tree side is what you cinch with. Does this cause any stress on the bark?

4: Could I get some links from you on where you got all of that setup? I need the materials to make it happen.

Thanks again for all the help guys.

1)The webbing goes around the tree. Not the rope.

2)I have not heard of rain causing any problems.

3)Your weight should be no problem.

4)www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=118&parent=4
www.speerhammocks.com/Products/PRODUCTLINK2.htm
The 1" webbing. Ask them to sew the loops on for you at a small charge.
I used to use Speer webbing but have recently switched to polyester webbing.
2000lb. strength and less stretch than the Speer webbing. You would have to sew your own loops or get someone to sew them for you. www.owfinc.com/Hardware/Shardware/webbing.asp
It is the woodland green polyester webbing.
These are the lightest full strength carabiners on the market. 1 oz. each.
There appears to be a few others new to the game that are similar in weight.
www.rei.com/product/736487

angrysparrow
09-30-2007, 22:16

The tree side is wrapped with 1" polyester webbing. I have used it extensively, along with many many of the members of this forum, without incident or apparent damage to the trees.

None at all.

Not at all. The Spyderline is rated to 1900lbs, the Webbing is rated to 3500lbs, and while the buckle doesn't have a stated rating it is made from cast aluminum and is almost certainly stronger than either of the above components.

This has been discussed several times on the forum, but I'll link them again here for your convenience.

Cinch Buckles (http://www.onrope1.com/store/index.php?p=product&id=118&parent=4) / Spyderline (http://www.apsltd.com/Tree/d279000/e276768.asp) / Webbing (http://www.strapworks.com/Articles.asp?ID=122)

There are a multitude of sources for the webbing, and some are lighter than the linked source. If you do order from them, though, be aware that they will do any custom sewing (loops) for a very small fee.

Lorethian
09-30-2007, 22:25
One last question, what lenth do you have in the webbing?

And thanks to everyone for the help.

FanaticFringer
09-30-2007, 22:28
One last question, what lenth do you have in the webbing?

And thanks to everyone for the help.

I use 12' per side.

Lorethian
09-30-2007, 23:22
12 feet per side? What do you do with the extra?

FanaticFringer
10-01-2007, 06:46
12 feet per side? What do you do with the extra?

The extra just dangles in the air and lays on the ground. You could get by with much less than this but I like having the option of hanging between trees very wide apart and super wide trees. 12' is a fairly popular length around here.

Cannibal
10-01-2007, 07:12
One thick tree can eat-up a lot of webbing quick. I also keep 12' (minus sewn loops) on each end.

Hooch
10-01-2007, 07:15
Ditto, I use 12' of 1" heavyweight polyester strapping from Strapworks (http://www.strapworks.com/Heavyweight_Polypropylene_p/hwp1.htm). Works like a charm. :D

Lorethian
10-01-2007, 07:30
I am ordering the webbing today. What size loop did you all ask to have put on one end? Also how do you all attach the under shield in this setup? I use the Hennesy underpad system and it attaches to the current rope.

FanaticFringer
10-01-2007, 08:29
I am ordering the webbing today. What size loop did you all ask to have put on one end? Also how do you all attach the under shield in this setup? I use the Hennesy underpad system and it attaches to the current rope.

Just tell them your using it to hang your hammock. The loop does'nt need to be very big. I'd have them sew 3 box stitches per webbing if it were me.