PDA

View Full Version : New Trek Light hammock and user too!

Seracer
09-21-2007, 10:59
After lots of thinking and reading in this forum (and elsewhere) I took the plunge and bought a Trek Light double for my first hammock. Last night I slept in it for the first time. I just tied it to my deck between it and a nearby tree. It has been pretty varied here for weather the last week, and even though the sky was clear and calm, I rigged up a diamond shaped 8x10 plastic tarp. After throwing in a CCF pad, I laid my Back Country Blanket over me and crashed. Temps got down probably to the mid 40's.

I slept kind of off and on. In fact, I remember waking up several times, not due to cold or discomfort, but thinking it was just...different. I finally put on a stocking cap when my ears got cold, and I tucked the bcb under me a bit more at one point as my shoulders got cool. After several wakings and worrys about getting enough sleep (gotta work tommorow!) I went inside and found out it was nearly 3am. I had been sleeping for 6 hours! That surprised me. I am heading into the Cascades this weekend and will see how it works there.

First impressions for me: the Trek Light is well made and light. I got the hanging cord package too, and first thing I did was remove the S connector from the hammock ends and replace them with the carabiners. Setup worked slick, with a multiple wrap around a 4"x4" deck post on one end and an 18" birch on the other. I think I will want a larger tarp, probably 10x12 tied rectangular. Also, I will take a second CCF pad to make sure my shoulders are protected.

warbonnetguy
09-21-2007, 11:06
oh, you're converted now, there's no turning back, you may never sleep on the ground again. the best part is when you wake up in the morning and there is no discomfort from laying on the ground all night forcing you to get out of bed, that's a wierd feeling too. makes it harder to get up in the mornings though.

FanaticFringer
09-21-2007, 15:41
I'm heading up to Springer Mtn. tomorrow nite for the first time with my Treklight double.

Shadowmoss
09-21-2007, 15:48
My Treklight double was realy nice with my Speer Snugfit underquilt. I'm less enthused about making a hammock than I was before I got the Treklight.

FanaticFringer
09-21-2007, 15:54
My Treklight double was realy nice with my Speer Snugfit underquilt. I'm less enthused about making a hammock than I was before I got the Treklight.

Funny you should mention that. I used to think my homemade hammock that was 60" wide and about 10' 4" long between the whipping was my most comfy hammock. Way more comfy than my Hennessy. The Treklight double is much more comfortable. The width really makes the difference.
I even tried sewing 10" panels on each side of my homemade hammock to give it more width. Did'nt work well. The sides did not lay down enough to get comfortable. Even after several re-whippings.

Seracer
09-25-2007, 12:33
Well, I used my hammock setup this last weekend in some pretty nasty conditions, and I love the thing! Slept 12 hours and could have laid there longer, no back pain, no aches. I have become accustom to waking with headaches and sore hips, or stiff back (depending on my position most of the night). That was with a 2" Thermarest LE. I have some more info posted here regarding the trip (http://www.nwhikers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7962479), and some pics (http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560822935FgFytX) here, but here are my observations and some questions:

1) Finding the right trees at 6000 feet in the Cascades can be a challenge! Especially when you are sharing the camp with non-hammock people. What would be the maximum distance between trees (provided you have enough rope) to hang?

2) Keeping my ccf pads in place all night was interesting. I had a single full length one (24" wide, I think) and another 24" one that I had cut in two placed length wise under the uncut one as "wings" for my shoulders and hips. They ended up all over the hammock, especially when I had to get up to pee in the middle of the night. How do you keep things from moving around?

3) My feet got chilled during the night. I was inside a down back country blanket (http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_Back_Country_Blanket.htm). I suspect I will take some booties next trip. Temps were pretty cold (around 32F), and I wore polypro underwear, wool socks, stocking cap and a light fleece jacket. My body kept comfortable, except for my feet. Is this because they are slightly elevated (blood flow issue)?

4) We used just a 9x12 chunk of plastic and it seemed to work fine. I think a 10x12 silnylon tarp is in my future. Any recommendations?

5) Is there a height for the hammock that is best? I ended up being limited due to coverage needs for my ground sleeping buddy, with the hammock at about waist level prior to me getting in (which just kept my backside off the ground).

Thanks for any help!

FanaticFringer
09-25-2007, 15:51
Well, I used my hammock setup this last weekend in some pretty nasty conditions, and I love the thing! Slept 12 hours and could have laid there longer, no back pain, no aches. I have become accustom to waking with headaches and sore hips, or stiff back (depending on my position most of the night). That was with a 2" Thermarest LE. I have some more info posted here regarding the trip (http://www.nwhikers.net/phpbb/viewtopic.php?t=7962479), and some pics (http://outdoors.webshots.com/album/560822935FgFytX) here, but here are my observations and some questions:

1) Finding the right trees at 6000 feet in the Cascades can be a challenge! Especially when you are sharing the camp with non-hammock people. What would be the maximum distance between trees (provided you have enough rope) to hang?

2) Keeping my ccf pads in place all night was interesting. I had a single full length one (24" wide, I think) and another 24" one that I had cut in two placed length wise under the uncut one as "wings" for my shoulders and hips. They ended up all over the hammock, especially when I had to get up to pee in the middle of the night. How do you keep things from moving around?

3) My feet got chilled during the night. I was inside a down back country blanket (http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_Back_Country_Blanket.htm). I suspect I will take some booties next trip. Temps were pretty cold (around 32F), and I wore polypro underwear, wool socks, stocking cap and a light fleece jacket. My body kept comfortable, except for my feet. Is this because they are slightly elevated (blood flow issue)?

4) We used just a 9x12 chunk of plastic and it seemed to work fine. I think a 10x12 silnylon tarp is in my future. Any recommendations?

5) Is there a height for the hammock that is best? I ended up being limited due to coverage needs for my ground sleeping buddy, with the hammock at about waist level prior to me getting in (which just kept my backside off the ground).

Thanks for any help!

1)Speaking for myself, the maximum distance for me would be where I'm still able to reach up and wrap the webbing around the tree and keep the hammock off the ground.. I'm 5'7 so around 20' for me. I did climb a couple of trees once to hang it higher. Not much fun.
2)Might want to consider buying one of these. It works great.www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm
3)Not sure about the elevation thing but some nice down booties should do the trick.
4)Any of the popular tarps mentioned here should work well.
5)About waist level is usually the best height. I'm usually lower than that. Lots of sag.

Miguel
09-25-2007, 17:02

Thanks for any help!

I'll address your pad situation only, since I believe I've come up with a rather nice and inexpensive solution. Basically I built my own wings from a cheap cc pad....6" by 30" for the shoulders and 6" by 20" for the knees. I attached them to a $10 half inch thick 24" wide Wally World pad...the one with the waffles. Note: don't buy the cheaper 20" version....it's too stiff and too narrow. I attached the wings with strips of ripstop nylon using contact cement. Only place the nyon on one side as it acts as a hinge. As they say a picture is worth a thousands words....maybe more in my case. :) So here's the link. I've already used it a few times and can attest to it's sweetness!

http://community.webshots.com/album/560834203BtHMbJ

I have a double bottomed Claytor hammock so movement is nil. I would think a simple solution for a single bottom hammock would be to attach a strip of velcro across the underside of your pad (top and bottom) and your hammock. Also my pad system seems to lie the best with the nylon stips facing down against the hammock material.

Hope this helps, Miguel

Seracer
09-25-2007, 17:04
Thanks FF, that Speer site is full of good info! Miguel, that solution is similar to what I was considering...

I am trying to keep my gear weight about where I am now, so adding items is something I need to consider carefully. I sort of figure I am trading my one-man Silshelter which all told weighs about 2 lbs. with stakes, pole and groundsheet for a tarp which will probably be about the same along with stakes and tie-outs. My hammock, hanging cords and 2 ccf pads takes the place of my Thermarest LE 3/4, which is about the same weight at 1.5 lbs. I am, however, willing to pack a few more ounces if I can sleep like that every night!

Rapt
09-26-2007, 08:06
The weight you're leaving for a tarp is overkill by quite a bit... Even a moderately large and heavy tarp shouldn't weigh more than 1.5 lbs with tie outs and stakes. I'm estimating my 14'x11' (Cat-hex) is going to come in around that weight.

If you want a smaller lighter tarp look at something like this (http://www.mountainlaureldesigns.com/shop/product_info.php?products_id=54&osCsid=eb68a680296687c880077a6c8d896604). Its under half a pound, even adding stakes and tie-outs won't put you anywhere near 1.5lbs.

Never used these guys just using them as an example of what is possible with super fabrics like Cuben...

Seracer
09-26-2007, 10:39
Rapt, that Cuben tarp is sweet! But not sure I can swing $250 for something like it right now. I was basing my weight estimate more on something from Campmor in the 10x12 size, like a basic sylnylon job, which seem to come in at about 20 oz.

Rapt
09-26-2007, 14:41
You can buy cuben fabric... At least one of the guys on here is making his own...

BillyBob58
09-26-2007, 15:50
Hey Seracer,
I just got back from a trip to the North Cascades and Olympics. I did not hammock above a few thousand feet, I'm glad to hear it can be done, sometimes! I did have multiple sweet nights along the Hoh river trail, however! The problem there was the opposite, an abundance of trees but mostly gigantic, to big to hang from. But even setting up camp in a brand new place in the dark, we still managed to find enough trees for the two hammockers, leaving our ground dwelling buddies on the gravel bar. And once we found those right size/distance trees, I was out like a light until the noise of my son getting the food down out of the trees, about 0730, woke me. I didn't even get up to take a leak, I was just out.

I used a supershelter to keep warm into the 40s.
Bill

Seracer
09-26-2007, 16:15
Rapt, I did see that Cuben is sold for do-it-yourselfers. That might be an option...

BB58, yep, I was at nearly 6000 feet in mid 30F weather with blowing sleet/rain and fog. I slept comfortable (except for my feet). Trees were not the monsters you saw in the Hoh, but like you, I figure I can find something most anywhere. I even wonder if you could pack some climbing chocks and use rock cracks in more alpine conditions? Not sure I am that confident yet...

TrekLightGear
09-27-2007, 15:34
I'm happy to hear that many of you are finding your Trek Light Hammocks to be both well made and in many cases more comfortable than the other hammocks available in the market. Quality, comfort and overall weight of our products are the three things that we have to balance most as a gear manufacturer and we always welcome any feedback you might have to make our brand meet your needs.

If there's anything you'd like to see us add or modify with our current design, feel free to either post your suggestions in the forum or contact me directly at any time.

Here's an offer for you all...I'll send the first person to PM me with their mailing address a free Trek Light double hammock and our carabiner/rope kit. All I ask is that you post a review with your thoughts once you've had a chance to try it out...

Cannibal
09-27-2007, 15:39
Race is on; I sent my PM. :)

angrysparrow
09-27-2007, 15:43
Race is on; I sent my PM. :)

Don't you already have an ENO? They've always looked like the same design to me. If you do have one, I'd like to see a first-hand comparison between the two.

...that is, unless Seth of TrekLightGear would like to illuminate us on any differences.

Cannibal
09-27-2007, 15:46
Don't you already have an ENO? They've always looked like the same design to me. If you do have one, I'd like to see a first-hand comparison between the two.

...that is, unless Seth of TrekLightGear would like to illuminate us on any differences.

That's kind of my intent. I really like my ENO SingleNest and would like to see how similar the TrekLightGear hammock are to the ENO. Besides, if I like my ENO SingleNest; I bet I love a TLG Double! :D

FanaticFringer
09-27-2007, 15:46
That's quite an offer. I'm sure you'll enjoy it Cannibal.

Cannibal
09-27-2007, 15:48
I haven't "won" yet.

FanaticFringer
09-27-2007, 15:51
I haven't "won" yet.

So your not the first person.:confused:

Cannibal
09-27-2007, 15:55
Don't know. Just cause I was the first to post doesn't mean I was the first to PM.

I just hope whoever gets it will do a write-up; like angrysparrow, I'm curious.

rigidpsycho
09-27-2007, 15:57
I am too. My hammock is similar to the ENO and the Treklight.

Cannibal
09-27-2007, 15:57
I am too. My hammock is similar to the ENO and the Treklight.

What are you using?

FanaticFringer
09-27-2007, 15:58
I'm pretty sure there will be little or no difference in the body of the Treklight vs. the ENO. Difference will be in the suspension system. Which needs an upgrade to the options we have here.

rigidpsycho
09-27-2007, 15:59
Its a BALI AND JAVA double as seen here http://www.novica.com/region/bali-and-java/all-hammocks/index.cfm?rID=10&scid=1163

Cannibal
09-27-2007, 16:00
Difference will be in the suspension system. Which needs an upgrade to the options we have here.

Maybe. But, is that not a great reason to put into user's hands to test? Not likely to get a more blunt assessment on quality and such than you will from this site.

rigidpsycho
09-27-2007, 16:01
Maybe they use a different material?

Cannibal
09-27-2007, 16:02
Its a BALI AND JAVA double as seen here http://www.novica.com/region/bali-and-java/all-hammocks/index.cfm?rID=10&scid=1163

I can't get the site to load. :mad:

rigidpsycho
09-27-2007, 16:09
I can't get the site to load. :mad:

Hey canibal try the one in this thread. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1614&highlight=bali+java

FanaticFringer
09-27-2007, 16:32
I'm gonna go take a nap in my Treklight double now......be back in a few.:cool:

Cannibal
09-27-2007, 16:43
Hey canibal try the one in this thread. http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1614&highlight=bali+java

That worked. Not bad, especially for the $$s.

I'm gonna go take a nap in my Treklight double now......be back in a few.:cool:

That's it; you're off the Xmas Card List! :D :p :D

Cannibal
09-27-2007, 16:44
My new Trek Light hammock is on it's way. I feel giddy!

FanaticFringer
09-27-2007, 19:15
My new Trek Light hammock is on it's way. I feel giddy!

Told you so.:p

Shadowmoss
09-27-2007, 20:24
I suggest swapping out the rigging on the Trek Light with a couple of 12" climbing loops (rated at 22kn), with either rings or cc buckles. I swapped mine to the loops and rings in about 10 minutes, and had it hung in about 10 more. I was taking my time since I was at the hang-out and was talking to folks while I was doing it.

Get a Speer Snugfit to go with it, and you will have a top of the line setup.

Cannibal
09-27-2007, 20:42
I suggest swapping out the rigging on the Trek Light with a couple of 12" climbing loops (rated at 22kn), with either rings or cc buckles. I swapped mine to the loops and rings in about 10 minutes, and had it hung in about 10 more. I was taking my time since I was at the hang-out and was talking to folks while I was doing it.

Get a Speer Snugfit to go with it, and you will have a top of the line setup.

I think the suspension is part of what they want me to try, but otherwise...oh yeah, it would be switched. At least for camping mode. The way I understand their suspension is the same I have set-up at home. It makes swapping out hammocks an absolute breeze. Great for semi-permanent placements.

The Snugfit is soooooo on my list after the thru! :cool:

Cannibal
09-27-2007, 20:43
Told you so.:p

Yeah, yeah, yeah. Gulp, you were right.

BillyBob58
09-28-2007, 12:46
...........Trees were not the monsters you saw in the Hoh, but like you, I figure I can find something most anywhere. I even wonder if you could pack some climbing chocks and use rock cracks in more alpine conditions? Not sure I am that confident yet...

It has been done. I believe there are some pics at the HH site.

BillyBob58
09-28-2007, 12:57
Funny you should mention that. I used to think my homemade hammock that was 60" wide and about 10' 4" long between the whipping was my most comfy hammock. Way more comfy than my Hennessy. The Treklight double is much more comfortable. The width really makes the difference.
I even tried sewing 10" panels on each side of my homemade hammock to give it more width. Did'nt work well. The sides did not lay down enough to get comfortable. Even after several re-whippings.

What is the weight of this double hammock, and what kind of weight does it handle? I'm thinking about ordering one, considering the hi comfort rating they seem to be getting here!

Cannibal
09-28-2007, 12:58
Website says 19oz with stuff sack. Holds 400 lbs

Dameon
09-28-2007, 13:50
I had myself, my girlfriend, and three kids in my Trek Light double, probably about 480 lbs worth of people and it held fine, it is very strong, I was impressed, not gonna do that again though, just in case, you know

Seracer
10-16-2007, 10:35
My evolution continues. I took my Trek Light camping this last weekend, just a family overnighter in a developed campground. I also took a new tarp I bought to experiment with some pitching over the hammock. The tarp (http://www.campmor.com/webapp/wcs/stores/servlet/ProductDisplay?productId=88644&memberId=12500226&storeId=226&catalogId=40000000226&langId=-1) is a 10'x12' Equinox silnylon I got from Campmor. Some more observations:

1) I continue to struggle with my sleeping pads. I tried using some duct tape to hold the edges against the hammock, but that did not last long. I think I am heading towards doing some major modifications to the pads (wings similar to what others have done) or maybe just a larger pad. I really want to keep my option to go to ground and have a pad rather than just an underquilt.

2) I see where it might be better to sleep in clothes and have a quilt rather than a sleeping bag. It is just a pain for me to get into a bag, get out for nature calls, get back in, etc. I slept comfortably in a combination travel sack (http://www.worldclassgear.com/rei_travel_sack.asp) bag and BCB (http://www.nunatakusa.com/Sleeping_Bag_Back_Country_Blanket.htm) quilt in temps this weekend down to mid 30's (F). The travel sack is a footless lightweight sleeping bag with arm holes. I think I would do better with something like a down coat, gloves and hat with the quilt. Booties kept my feet toasty this time too.

3) I am liking the idea of a ridgeline. I found a pair of trees the right distance apart, not too far from where we were camping, but one was pretty large diameter (perhaps 24"). The rigging I got with the hammock would not fit around the trunk. I was able to untie it (it's a doubled loop of rope with knots, sort of like a climbing etrier), tie a couple of figure 8's and use it, but if the trees had been larger or further apart, it would not have worked in that location. What do you recommend for a ridgeline cord?

4) The tarp worked great. I love the size and am willing to carry a few extra ounces for the coverage. I just used paracord for the tie outs, and loved how I could stake it in an "A" shape and just fold half back to enjoy the stars but have it ready if rain moved in.

Here is a pic of my setup this last weekend:

http://inlinethumb13.webshots.com/25036/2832106040042424817S425x425Q85.jpg

Cannibal
10-16-2007, 10:48
Are you using any kind of sleeve with the pads or just the straight pad? I HATE pads, but also acknowledge their usefullness. Having said that, I've been playing with pads to try to find a comprimise between the two mindsets. Having a nylon sleeve like my homemade SPE made a huge difference in comfort and the pad tended to move with me in the hammock instead of sticking where I was and not going where I am.

Yes, a ridgeline went onto my TL Double the first time I went out in the woods with it. The ridgeline just makes it way easier to set-up without really paying too much attention to the span between the trees. I just used some nylon rope I had in my pack; probably not rated above 200 lbs and it worked just fine. I know Just Jeff reports having broken 550 cord as a ridgeline. I guess it all depends on how important weight is to you and your mission.

Rapt
10-16-2007, 11:08
I like a light (3mm or smaller) spectra cord for a ridgeline. Its light, non stretchy and plenty strong.

Further I really like how the ridgeline ensures you get the same shape every time, no matter how far apart the trees.

Finally I'd suggest doing away with the knotted ropes and going to webbing. It'll be stronger, lighter and better for the trees.

Seracer
10-16-2007, 12:24
Cannibal: no sleeve in the hammock for pads. I was considering just folding over and sewing a little edge on each side of the hammock, sort of a pocket for the ends of the ccf pads I am trying to use, and that was what the duct tape experiment was doing. I no longer think that would work, the pads just move around too much. I am thinking maybe just a wider pad, perhaps 30" that would just give me more chance of keeping on the thing. Or perhaps putting some kind of net sleeve on the bottom of the hammock that the pads would slip into. Wow, 200lb test works okay? I was thinking more in the way of 1000lb. I actually found some non-stretch nylon 1/4" cord that was rated to 600lb and nearly tried that.

Rapt: I wondered if the ropes would end up damaging the trees. What do you use to connect the webbing to the rope then? And what test is the spectra rope and do you have a link or suggestion for where to get some?

Cannibal
10-16-2007, 12:42
Here is a pic of the rings and how they attach to the webbing. You can't see it in this pic, but the small diameter line is attaching to the hammock with a lark'shead. I use the same knot to attach to the rings. Have a loop sewn in the webbing and clip a biner to the loop. Then you just wrap, clip, and slip.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/RingBuckleSuspension.JPG

I wouldn't sew anything into/onto the hammock itself. Just make yourself one of these SPEs (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm).

You just insert the pad into the sleeve and that's it. It stops the pad from sticking to the hammock material and allows it to slide across as you move. Try it, you'll like it.

I don't know what the forces on the ridgeline are or how much is enough; I can just tell you that I've slept in my TL Double for two weeks, the last 9 days have been with the makeshift ridgeline made with low end nylon rope. Zero problems and I weigh 215ish. I suspect it is due to the high degree of stretch that nylon has that has allowed it to work above its rated limits, or, maybe there just isn't that much force there. I'll let the math folks figure that one out. :D

Rapt
10-16-2007, 13:05
Cannibal did a good job on suspensions... or there are some threads you can look at for your own ideas.

SPectra is VERY strong... depending on the rope 3mm is somewhere upwards of 1500 lbs strength. I have 200 lb spectra line that is 0.75mm... and 3mm that is 3000 lb failure strength.

Seracer
10-16-2007, 13:19
Great! Thanks guys for the info. Lots of ideas to chew on here.

ken999
10-17-2007, 22:29
How does one tie in a ridgeline??...what keeps it from slipping?

warbonnetguy
10-17-2007, 23:19
i've never seen non stretch nylon. best to use polyester webbing and spectra/dyneema or vectran rope of 2 or 3mm. 3mm vectran is rated to 2000# owf camo polyester webbing is also 2000#. i think the 200# nylon cannibal was talking about was either for the ridgeline or was the safe working load not the breaking strength. 200# breaking strength line will not hold your hammock.

look for 1"polyester camo webbing here: www.owfinc.com

and high tech line here: www.apsltd.com i like the high tech single braids the best.

a single sheetbend finished with a bight is good for tying line to the owf webbing. for stiffer webbing a double sheetbend finished with a bight is better. the bight allows you to untie the knot by just pulling on the free end.

Cannibal
10-18-2007, 07:57
How does one tie in a ridgeline??...what keeps it from slipping?

I use Just Jeff's method for quick and easy. Just tie a bowline around the webbing on one side, then I just lash the line around the webbing on the other side. Really simple.

Seracer
11-16-2007, 14:33
Thought I would make some more observations on my "hammock evolution". I have done a couple of late season trips using my Trek Light and various pads and tarps. Right now, I have had good luck with an Oware wide pad (http://www.owareusa.com/foampads.html) by itself. It seems to slip around less and even if it does, it's so wide I stay on some part of the pad. It's not very thick, and while I have not been cold (temps to near freezing), I can tell a difference in the warmth on my back. My wife just got a new sewing machine, and I think a try at an underquilt (Primaloft or similar) is coming. I also got a 10x12 Equinox tarp that works like a charm. Here is a couple of pics of my last trip out (5000 foot elevation of Ingalls Creek in the Alpine Lakes Wilderness of Washington State). My friend just bivied it under the tarp below me:

http://inlinethumb64.webshots.com/29887/2751849080042424817S425x425Q85.jpg

http://inlinethumb60.webshots.com/27451/2316203850042424817S425x425Q85.jpg

I also got a 50' length of 3mm static climbing rope (like used for prussiks) that stands in for my tree huggers when the tree is too big or they are too far apart. Works good.

Just Jeff
11-17-2007, 05:46
Looks like a great trip. Synthetic quilts are super-easy. Just a pillowcase, really - slide the insulation inside and sew it up. Good luck with it, and be sure to post pics of that one, too!