PDA

View Full Version : I got my topquilt!

khai
06-16-2010, 14:48
My summer weight topquilt arrived this week and I picked it up yesterday. This was a custom project that I worked out with Adam before the Summer weight quilts were generally available on his website, and was also designed shorter to save weight and pack space. As I'm ~5'5, I didn't need a full length quilt so why carry it? :p

Both Adam and Jenny were great to work with, keeping me in the loop wrt the progress; and they rush shipped it after it took longer to make than they had expected to ensure that I'd get it in time for my trip (I leave Saturday).

It did take a little longer than we had planned (7 weeks from payment), but that wasn't entirely unexpected with a two person operation - not to mention a custom project that required a new pattern to be developed. Normally I don't mind a wait - but the added pressure of my looming departure date looming certainly made the final delivery more exciting than I thought it would be.

It's very lightweight (will put it on a scale later), packs smaller than a large grapefruit, fits me perfectly, and I have no idea how he did it - but when I pull on the drawcord in the middle, the edges curve and wrap tightly around my shoulders! It's flat-out AWESOME.

I didn't get a chance to take it out and set up last night due to weather and other commitments, but I'll try to get some pics and weights later this week.

Thanks Adam and Jenny for my amazing quilt!

Khai

Hawk-eye
06-16-2010, 14:56
Sounds great .... just one thing ...

PICTURES!!!!!!

Kukri
06-16-2010, 14:58
Agreed. POIDH!

stormcrow
06-16-2010, 15:06
Thanks so much Khai. Those are mighty nice things you said about us. Once again, I apologize for the weight (seems like I say that too much :( ) but I am glad it got to you in time. I had a perfect model for your particular quilt...My wife is just a bit shorter than you (5'5"). It may have come out a little wider than I was going for but I think it most people can agree that it is always nice to be a little wider than too narrow. Plus, IF you have to go to ground (heaven forbid) you will have a bit more coverage. Now I am making one for another member that is a foot taller than you...I like challenges!

I am also bad about weighing the quilts I send out. It seems like I am always getting everything packaged and labeled and shooing kids out from under foot :lol: and I miss that part of it . I will be more diligent about getting weights for each of them. I know that is what many people want to know...

Look forward to pictures and a trip report. Like I said before, I am jealous of your upcoming adventure!

~Stormcrow

Mundele
06-17-2010, 08:49
What does the drawcord do? Run from side to side under your back?

NCPatrick
06-17-2010, 09:32
POIDH!

Now that's funny. :laugh: Yep, better post some pics when you get the chance! :)

lazy river road
06-17-2010, 09:44
What does the drawcord do? Run from side to side under your back?

The draw cord is one of my favorite features in Adams new quilts. IT has a cord lock in the middle of the quilt and the string is fastened to both ends of the quilt. When you pull the string in the middle and secure it with the cord lock the quilt ends up fitting perfectly arounds one's shoulders. I dont know how he did it but its amazing and IMHO (when I actually get it out in my hammock) will reduce any cold draft's from getting underneath me keeping me nice and toasty.

The_Saint
06-17-2010, 09:48
When is Stormcrow going to update his website? I want to see the new stuff and specs!!!

Hawk-eye
06-17-2010, 09:58
.... I dont know how he did it but its amazing.....

I've said it before ... Alien Technology ... :scared:

Niloc
06-17-2010, 09:59
When is Stormcrow going to update his website? I want to see the new stuff and specs!!!

I agree, keeping my eyes peeled for more details on the burrow.

koaloha05
06-17-2010, 20:15
khai, also interested in weight of quilt and temperature range. I'm short like you are. The length that Adam designed into your quilt would be ideal.

stormcrow
06-17-2010, 21:07
That quilt has 6.87oz of 900fill power goose down in it. With its size, I think it will be able to take her to around 35 deg or so (maybe better). Given the dimensions and material I used, I am guessing that the weight for that quilt is around 14-15 oz. That is a close as I can get without going back in time and putting in on the scale (DOH!)

~Adam

khai
06-28-2010, 23:55
I've posted a link to my trip blog here http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?p=277766

There are a few pics (of relavent stuff) on the blog, but the old body hasn't handled the daily hammering I've been giving it quite as well as I had hoped - so I've been camping less than I'd have liked.

I'll weigh it when I get home and be happy to answer any questions about dimensions, etc in late Aug/Sept.