PDA

View Full Version : CLOSED: Interested In Poncho Liner Group Buy?

dejoha
06-16-2010, 20:39
I am curious if anyone wants to go in on a group buy of military poncho liners? I did some preliminary research and found some government auction sites that sell surplus gear.

A bin of poncho liners, roughly 100 liners per bin, is around $150 (bid). They have some bins with around 150 liners, making each poncho liner less than $2/ea. I've seen similar bins at my local army surplus store and know that each bin has a mix of like-new and used liners.

Since this is a government site, the sell is done by auction, and it may even be on-site. I'm not as familiar with the process, for example, can we put in lower bids and get a bin of ponchos for less? Is there anyone on forum who knows more about this process?

Even at a few dollars a poncho liner, I would buy up several and give them away as summer quilts!

http://www.govliquidation.com/auction/endecaSearch?Ntt=poncho&Ntk=P_Lot_Title&Ntx=mode+matchall&N=0&Nty=1&Ns=Lot%20Number|0&words=poncho&cmd=keyword

Veto 65
06-16-2010, 20:44
Very interested but I don't have a pay pal account.

dragonfly.hiker
06-16-2010, 20:58
wow that is too tempting to say no

MikeN
06-16-2010, 21:03
That's a heck of a lot better deal than $35 at the PX...

HamMike
06-16-2010, 21:25
You have to pick up where ever the item is located. I haven't used my account in years. They take the payment out of the account you register with right after the auction.

TOB9595
06-16-2010, 21:29
I have no knowledge of this process

YES!
I am interested in becoming a part of it.
maybe 10 pieces.

I am near Ft DIX, McGUIRE AFB, LAKEHURST NAVAL STATION

Tom
add: I'd be pleased to help in any way I can

rnolan1
06-16-2010, 22:18
im interested if its cheap

FarStar
06-16-2010, 23:46
I'd be interested in a GI woobie -- or two or three -- at a 90%+ discount. I'm not far from Ft. Lewis and the Navy bases on Puget Sound and Hood Canal.

Bluenose Climbers
06-17-2010, 04:47
I am looking at picking up 10. I'm interested.

Kukri
06-17-2010, 05:32
How much do they usually cost at an army surplus store? If it is a good discount, I'd be in for 2 or 3.

legs
06-17-2010, 07:08
I'm in. I live in Raleigh, NC.

bdpalace
06-17-2010, 07:12
I can always use an extra woobie or two. Put me down for two.

Festus
06-17-2010, 07:24
I'm a noob, so I don't know how this whole Group Buy thing works, but at that price put me down for 2.

PapaSmurf
06-17-2010, 07:55
I'd buy 2-3 if we get the details worked out.

jhunt87
06-17-2010, 07:58
I'd be interested in a couple

Mundele
06-17-2010, 08:03
I'll buy 2 or 3 or more if they're cheap enough. Any idea what the condition might be?

G.L.P.
06-17-2010, 08:13
i would buy 2 also if the deal works out .....

bigbamaguy
06-17-2010, 10:10
Dehoja:
put me down for a cool dozen at that price. The cheapest I have been able to find them is $19.95 + shipping. If they can be had for roughly ten bucks plus shipping that will save alot and I can outfit most of the family in UQ/TQ combos for the three seasons we have here in Bama...........

KerMegan
06-17-2010, 10:25
I have a pickup truck, and I live about 3 hrs from OKC....
(hey, Old Gringo, how about you? any interest?)
KM

sclittlefield
06-17-2010, 11:21
I'd be in - probably 10 or so. Hard to pass up at that price.

RoundBear
06-17-2010, 12:37
I'm in. Put me down for 6.

UncleMJM
06-17-2010, 12:40
I'm in for 6.

dejoha
06-17-2010, 12:53
I have a pickup truck, and I live about 3 hrs from OKC....
(hey, Old Gringo, how about you? any interest?)
KM

Woah! I need to catch up to this thread. Thanks for all the interest!

For those who breezed past my first post, please know that I HAVE NOT secured the poncho liners YET, so I'm not taking orders YET. My first hurdle is getting into the auction and buy a batch. It may be, logistically, that I will not be able to get them if you have to be present at the auction to buy. The government auction site for these appears to be on Oklahoma.

I'm still working out the purchasing details, but I'm confident this can be done. I may need to partner with someone to make this happen.

To answer a few questions:

1. My local Army/Navy Surplus store sells these poncho liners -- straight out of the box from the auction site -- for $15 a pop. A great mark-up, eh?

2. If we can get a box of 100 for $100, than these poncho liners are the best deal going -- $1/poncho for those interested.

BUT, here's the catch. I know from my experience at Army/Navy stores is that there is a variable quality to these liners. I've purchased a dozen of these already from my local Army/Navy store. I dug around in the box to find the best ones. The liners I bought were all like-new (as far as I could tell, never been used), with the crinkly tags still in place. The used liners are softer, but the colors are faded, etc.

If I can get a box, my plan would be to sell the poncho liners in a graduated scale. Used liners would be cheaper (most likely, half the price) than the like-new liners. I would have to get a count first and post that to the group before the sale takes place.

Does that format sound fair to everyone? I want everyone to know what to expect. These are surplus poncho liners, many are field tested and used and others are like new.

Now, before this goes crazy, please know that I'm still working out how to get into this auction and buy a batch of surplus poncho liners. The auction date appears to be the end of this month, so I have a timeline to get my act together.

If anyone else has experience purchasing from a government surplus auction site, please PM me!

TOB9595
06-17-2010, 13:27
Post is Understood
I have no experience
Tom

gargoyle
06-17-2010, 13:53
$2.00 each, I'm in for 6. Hope it works out.
Thanks Dejoha, its alot of work.

Wa-Hangman
06-17-2010, 14:26
Sounds great.
I'm in for 4

Veto 65
06-17-2010, 14:48
Yes sir, thank you sir...no experience here.

FarStar
06-17-2010, 14:49
dejoha,

It looks like you'll have no problem getting rid of as many woobies as you want if you are successful in landing a box at auction. At even twice your cost estimate they are a great deal.

Reading the responses above I had to laugh at all the guys who want 6, 10, or 12 of them. Must be a lot of scoutmasters equipping Boy Scout troops?

Good bidding,

fs

dejoha
06-17-2010, 15:06
Okay, here's what I've found out. I can bid and buy the lot online -- yeah! All lots start at $150 (so I was told), so that would be the cheapest the box of poncho liners would sell for -- boo!. The Oklahoma base currently has seven (7) lots of poncho liners for sale, so there is a greater probability of winning a bid. The quantity of the bins range from 88 to 150 poncho liners each, an average of 109 poncho liners per lot.

It looks like I can have the crate shipped to me (roughly 110 lbs, 48' x 40' x 42' (L x W x H)) -- I've requested a price for shipping based on the lot# and I'll post that information once I've received it. I have no doubts that shipping will easily double the price of the lot.

This would be a lot easier/cheaper if there was someone local who could pick this up. In fact, it makes the most sense if the "group buy coordinator" was from Oklahoma and could make all the arrangements :) The other advantage to being "on site" is that you can inspect the gear prior to purchasing.

All that aside, I am still happy coordinate this, but I want to see how much this will be if we include initial drop shipment to my location. All of the poncho liner lots from Oklahoma happen June 25-29. I'd prefer not to get into a bidding war, and I would set a cap on how much I/we're willing to spend on a lot.

Here are some rough numbers, just to satisfy my curiosity and willingness to pursue this any further:

Based on average lot size of 109:

$150 / 109 = $1.38 ea
$200 / 109 = $1.83 ea
$250 / 109 = $2.30 ea
$300 / 109 = $2.75 ea

Let me guess that shipping is $300:

$150 + $300 / 109 = $4.13 ea
$200 + $300 / 109 = $4.59 ea
$250 + $300 / 109 = $5.04 ea
$300 + $300 / 109 = $5.50 ea

Some "worst case" scenarios, taking the lowest quantity at the highest price:

$300 + $300 / 88 = $6.82 ea
$300 + $300 / 150 = $4.00 ea

...then add USPS First Class shipping to your location, another $5 to $7?

I also still like the idea of variable pricing for high/low quality poncho liners, maybe a dollar up/down either way?

Thinking out loud, if I can work with a local Oklahoma HF member, this could be a good deal.

JohnSawyer
06-17-2010, 15:11
That's still better than 1/2 price, including shipping.

Count me in for 2, maybe 3, depending on what I can sell the wife for... er... um...

Veto 65
06-17-2010, 15:18
Even the worst case scenerio is still a great price. I can give you a number now I'll take 5.

Poppabear
06-17-2010, 15:37
I'll jump in for 5.

mercop
06-17-2010, 17:39
You can tell how good a piece of issued gear is by how many get stolen and the "wobbie" is at the top of the list. I love my issued one from many moons ago. I am in for 5.- George

KerMegan
06-17-2010, 17:58
how much does a box of 100 liners weigh? would a regular freight truck be cheaper than UPS(Limit 50 lbs- last I heard)?
curiously, KM
(i'm good for 2 of the liners at least)

another thought- what if you bid on three lots and win them all?(has happened to me on ebay)- it is like zuccini plants- get one or two and they will both die; get 12 and they will all flourish beyond your wildest dreams...

dejoha
06-17-2010, 18:08
how much does a box of 100 liners weigh? would a regular freight truck be cheaper than UPS(Limit 50 lbs- last I heard)?

The weights are all listed on the site I'm monitoring. 100 woobies list weighs 100 lbs. I should hear back within 24-hours on the freight charge. This will help me make a better decision on moving forward.

Irvingdog
06-17-2010, 18:09
I'd go for a handful within a reasonable price range.

TOB9595
06-17-2010, 19:01
So?
ANYBODY FROM OKLAHOMA?

tom

firecaptain53
06-17-2010, 21:16
Looks like a great deal to me, I'm in for at least 5.

Mkrzyski
06-17-2010, 21:49
I am interested in 16. yes I am scoutmaster and yes they are for the boys.

Mundele
06-17-2010, 22:47
Sounds like you'll have NO trouble getting rid of a batch...

Mundele
06-17-2010, 22:56
So I (informally) counted through the posts so far and counted requests or promises or whatever and came up with 128, not counting what you (the OP) would want to keep. That's at least one lot.

If I lived anywhere near OKC I'd help out.

dejoha
06-17-2010, 23:10
Thanks all. I'm registered with the site and am ready to bid. Bidding takes place late next week and I will give it a run. Also, I should hear back tomorrow about freight and I'll post that when I get it. This will impact the per-unit cost.

I'll keep you all posted when anything changes, but just a heads-up that it won't be until June 30 when I receive notice of a winning bid.

Optimistically speaking, when I get the shipment, I will set the official group buy. I'll also check with the Mods about my idea of selling the "like new" woobies at a different price point than the faded, used ones, once I rummage through the box. I want to be honest and upfront about meeting everyone's expectations about the quality of these woobies. If it is anything like what I've rummaged through at my local army/navy surplus store, there will be a mix of quality.

My local army/navy store doesn't care about the different quality -- they sell all the woobies at the same price, but to me, it seems disingenuous to sell them the same. I'm happy to entertain any thoughts about this since this isn't like buying a spool of Amsteel where everyone is expecting to get the same quality, etc. There is obviously a mixed bag here (or at least, I'm setting my expectations as such). Who knows, the box may contain 100% great quality woobies? :)

miboso
06-17-2010, 23:40
Late to the thread, but in for 2 if any are left in the lot.

Mule
06-18-2010, 00:08
Also late to this thread but I would take two of them if possible.

dblhmmck
06-18-2010, 01:04
Maybe late, but I'd take two if there are any left. Thanks.

alphaqlater
06-18-2010, 03:30
Sorry I'm late but I'm in for at least 2 if not 5. Thanks!

Hogg Tyed
06-18-2010, 04:59
Let me know how it goes I would also be interested in 3 or 4.

gargoyle
06-18-2010, 05:12
Dejoha,
Full disclosure that this is a "USED, DE-COMMISSIONED, EX-MILITARY ISSUE, SURPLUS BUY" is fine.
I think all the folks here understand that going in, but bold print clarification never hurts!!

The poncho liners may be in great condition?? who nows? But there may be a bunch of raggedy ripped up poncho liners as well.
That's the chance we take for $2.00 a poncho liner.
It would take very little effort to diy a new layer of ripstop to a folded p.l.

Thanks for looking into this option for us all!:cool:

mercop
06-18-2010, 08:47
When they are Dxed and got to the DRMO they are usually sewed up/repaired pretty good. I will be taking the worst of mine anyway to build a killer woobie pillow. BTW kids love these too. You can never really have enough.- George

Mule
06-18-2010, 09:35
Please take me off the list. Do you all know these weigh 2 pounds? Mule

dejoha
06-18-2010, 10:47
Please take me off the list. Do you all know these weigh 2 pounds? Mule

Well, there's no list yet, so no worries. This thread was about finding interest and determining the feasibility of getting this surplus military gear.

My poncho liners do not weigh 2 lbs -- where did you get that statistic, just curious. There are other manufacturers out there who make knock-off poncho liners. My PLUQ weighs roughly 20 oz.

dejoha
06-18-2010, 10:53
When they are Dxed and got to the DRMO they are usually sewed up/repaired pretty good. I will be taking the worst of mine anyway to build a killer woobie pillow. BTW kids love these too. You can never really have enough.- George

Yes, that has been my observation too -- the DX'd gear isn't trash, but it isn't brand-new. Although, when I've rummaged through the box, there are many that appear brand-new: crisp tags, bright colors, etc.

Kudu
06-18-2010, 13:10
I'm in for three - get the deal and we are all smiling.

oldsoldier
06-18-2010, 13:46
Just a note regarding woobies-I purchased mine right after basic training in 1988. I still have it, and use it as a comforter. It has seen a LOT of use, usually substituting as a full on sleeping bag on more than a few trips to the woods. It has been rained on, frozen, in the desert, in a swamp, slept on top of in concrete bays-this is arguably the best piece of equipment I ever purchased. the stitching is starting to come apart, and that makes me pretty sad.
I think I paid about $20 for mine, way back when. They werent issued to us then-I dont know if they are now or not. The fill on mine is broken down, and thats why it is my comforter now on my couch-I cannot bring myself to trash it. It is faded almost to a very light camoflauge pattern now-certainly not the colors it once was. If you can find them this cheap, pick one up-you will NOT be disappointed.

headchange4u
06-18-2010, 14:41
I'd also like 4-5 if the deal goes through.

WonderMonkey
06-18-2010, 14:58
I'm in for 4-5 if this goes forward.

wev162
06-18-2010, 15:27
I'd be in for 2-3 if this goes through

JohnSawyer
06-18-2010, 15:35
If you alter the price/unit based on the condition, you may find it doesn't match the exact requirement for a "group buy" You can, however, offer them for sale on the other vendors forum... I don't mind paying you a buck or two more for an excellent condition item, or getting one in marginal condition really cheap so I can cut it up for a kid's underquilt.

If you look at the group-buy guideline, it says you can mark up each order no more than $0.50 to cover incidentals. I am interested in hearing what the moderators say about offering items at a varying price scale based on quality. Maybe the ruling will be: as long as you don't profit overall...

If you're doing paypal, don't forget to calculate the paypal markup...

Thanks for doing this!

dejoha
06-18-2010, 15:44
If you alter the price/unit based on the condition, you may find it doesn't match the exact requirement for a "group buy" You can, however, offer them for sale on the other vendors forum... I don't mind paying you a buck or two more for an excellent condition item, or getting one in marginal condition really cheap so I can cut it up for a kid's underquilt.

If you look at the group-buy guideline, it says you can mark up each order no more than $0.50 to cover incidentals. I am interested in hearing what the moderators say about offering items at a varying price scale based on quality. Maybe the ruling will be: as long as you don't profit overall...

If you're doing paypal, don't forget to calculate the paypal markup...

Thanks for doing this!

Thanks John -- I haven't heard much, but I'm starting wonder if I just package and send them straight out without dividing them up based on quality. I don't want to mark these up at all, and to conform to the group buy policy, that makes sense. I'm just trying to think of a way to do this to eliminate the appearance of bias.

TOB9595
06-18-2010, 16:43
There will ALWAYS be an appearance of bias for those who care to look...
Don't let this affect what you do....
Just flat price them based on quantity.

Keep the work you do to the least. There's lots of work facilitating a group buy of this magnitude.
Tom

WonderMonkey
06-18-2010, 16:49
I say be random in how you hand them out unless you notice that someone who is getting several looks likes they are getting the short end of the stick. Then you can throw them a bone with a nicer one.

At this price I'll be happy with what I get.

dejoha
06-18-2010, 17:01
Just flat price them based on quantity.

Keep the work you do to the least. There's lots of work facilitating a group buy of this magnitude.
Tom

Thanks, I think this is a good idea -- it will make the packaging and shipping easier.

KerMegan
06-19-2010, 14:01
or sort into 'nice' vs. 'used' piles and pack them up a,b,a,b,a,b...just a thought, as I don't mind either way for the suggested/projected cost. KM

dejoha
06-19-2010, 15:56
or sort into 'nice' vs. 'used' piles and pack them up a,b,a,b,a,b...just a thought, as I don't mind either way for the suggested/projected cost. KM

That works for me too. Thanks!

FireFlyburns
06-19-2010, 16:00
Count me in!

ricegravy
06-19-2010, 17:05
I might be interested in a few depending on the final cost.

-Ricegravy!

PapaSmurf
06-19-2010, 17:44

But should I ask for an "a" or a "b"? :confused:
Or order a couple & get one of each? :D
Just kidding. Thanks ahead of time for your work.

dragonfly.hiker
06-19-2010, 18:04
is this a go or still prelim?

dejoha
06-19-2010, 21:21
is this a go or still prelim?

I'm still moving forward. I'm registered to bid, but bidding won't start until June 25. The only missing piece for me is the shipping cost from the base to my home. I am hoping it won't be too much so as to keep the overall per-unit cost down.

Once I get a winning bid, I will formalize the group buy and do a call for orders.

Shadowmoss
06-20-2010, 18:55
From experience, get an idea of what postage will cost to send them out to the ones who buy them from you. Over a certain weight and it can cost more than the actual item being bought. I ran into that with the Tyvek buy. Where you live in relation to where it's going will hurt, too, when you live on the left coast like I do. On parcel post that made a difference, making it no cheaper than the priority box. Just look into it before you get too into the total cost with folks.

G...Hawk
06-20-2010, 20:42
We would like 2, of the nice group.

Thanks for taking this on.

dejoha
06-22-2010, 15:08
I finally got an estimate on the shipping charges to Flagstaff:

"Our estimate of $197.66 includes shipping preparation, transportation, and fuel surcharge to a commercial address or picked up at the carriers local terminal."

When I have more time, I'll work up an estimate of the per-unit shipping cost to see if this is still viable for most people.

~derek

Mundele
06-22-2010, 15:11
You might consider asking if shipping 2 lots of them impacts the shipping cost. I'd bet that much of the cost is the pickup and all of that. Given the "I'm interested"'s on here, two lots would be claimed I think, and shipping two might just be marginally more expensive.

just a thought...

Walking Dead
06-22-2010, 15:24
I'd love to be included for at least 2 if this pans out

RePete
06-22-2010, 16:44
You might consider asking if shipping 2 lots of them impacts the shipping cost. I'd bet that much of the cost is the pickup and all of that. Given the "I'm interested"'s on here, two lots would be claimed I think, and shipping two might just be marginally more expensive.

just a thought...

I think Mundele might be right. Would it be possible to have 2 group buys. One for the "new condition" and one for the "used condition?" If that is possible you could go back to having two different prices. One for each group buy as you would be selling two different items. Not trying to make more work but this may solve the issue of people ordering 4 and wanting 4 new ones. When the quantity in either group buy would run out then it would be closed and then anyone wanting more would just have to purchase from the other buy. I would guess the "new condition" ones would sell out first. Just do it as first pm first serve.

On that note I will want anywhere from 2 to 10 depending on price/shipping.

JohnSawyer
06-22-2010, 16:48
$150 minimum bid, lot size varies from 88 to 150. Figure we get 100...
that's 1.50 ea, plus $200/100 shipping= 3.50 ea.

$3.50ea plus shipping + envelopes???

wow, the local mil-surplus place wants $20 ea for "used" (best has several tears in it) and $35 for new... yikes

RePete
06-22-2010, 17:12
1. Group buy prices must be the actual cost of the item or items being offered.

Just read the group buy rules which are very simple. This is the one rule that seems to apply to the pricing issue. Nothing in this rule would prohibit a 2 tiered pricing system. As long as the price charged for the "new condition" liners and the price of the "used condition" liners adds up to the total price of the entire lot of liners then the buy would conform to the rules. The issue of the $.50 does not apply as it only has to do with recouping costs for printing invoices, envelopes or things such as that. Please correct me if I am wrong but I really don't think the rules of the group buy prohibit the 2 tiered pricing system you first envisioned.

mercop
06-22-2010, 21:05
I love poncho liners so whatever works for me.

dejoha
06-22-2010, 21:59
For those who've done group buys before, is it typical to contact each person and send item price + shipping for their location, or take pre-payments for item and request a second payment for shipping, or something else?

opie
06-22-2010, 22:13
For those who've done group buys before, is it typical to contact each person and send item price + shipping for their location, or take pre-payments for item and request a second payment for shipping, or something else?

Thats a tuffy considering you wont know actual shipping weights for say, 10, till you get them.

You may be better suited doing a flat rate shipping option. Not sure on the size of the PL....

But first class is fine for anything up to 13 ounces. You dont have the option to ship first class over 13 ounces. You can get into parcel post, but even then I think they bump you up to priority over a certain weight.

Here are the parcel post regs... http://www.usps.com/send/waystosendmail/senditwithintheus/parcelpost.htm

Delivery to every address in the United States-including PO Boxes and military addresses.
Saturday and residential deliveries at no extra cost
Parcel Post packages can weigh up to 70 pounds and measure up to 130 inches in combined length and distance around the thickest part
For discount rates see Parcel Select.
Rates are based on weight, distance, and shape.
A surcharge applies to certain items including packages weighing over 35 pounds (25 pounds for books and printed matter) and certain shapes (e.g. tubes, rolls, and large packages).

Id suggest waiting till you get them to find out what the weights are based on the individual numbers for the orders, and ask for payment in one lump. 2 payments for 1 transaction can get confusing. JMO>

gargoyle
06-22-2010, 22:23
dejoha, I recently did a t-shirt and another wood stove buy/sale.
Not technically a group buy per se, but similar.

My recommendations:
Paypal, its official, safe and has all the info.

Folks change their minds..for reasons unknown and back out, if they buy thru paypal, its a done deal. Get payment up front.

Include paypal fees and know what your actual shipping cost will be..if someone orders 12 p.l.'s, a $4.95 usps flat rate wont cut it.

Be sure to figure your packaging cost into the fray. Boxes, tape, labels, printer ink add up. Plus your time. Don't forget taxes, Uncle Sam wants his cut too.

my 2 pesos

TOB9595
06-23-2010, 00:24
YEP to all the above.
I have facilitated group buys of large dollar magnitude...and small..
- Be sure to have all your costs covered.
- Handle this as what makes sense to you. Habndling t6wo tiered pricing is really hard work. separating, ranking, etc. I would not do it.
Have ALL THE MONEY in your hands. Do not ask for shipping costs after you send it out. Some folk will be late due to family emergencies, ets. This then affects you.
- one poncho is large enough to cost extra via first class mail....have those costs in hand. I would ONLY use priority mail with DELIVERY CONFIRM as part of the post. IF I order one poncho then I will be paying more per unit costs than someone paying $10 for 5 ponchos. That's just the laws of the postal service.
Do this for what fits in your life timeline. Don't expect to grab ten ponchos and box em and label em in a quick manner. You have a baby on the way or just had one? time impacts.
- I wouild see how many ponchos fit in the largest PRIORITY MAIL FLAT RATE BOX. Compress them in there tight...then you have a better idea of postage cost.
- Is UPS handy at your house? UPS is easy to set up an account. they will pick up one or more boxes at your door...this way you can have all sorts of size packages to go out.
- You need a good scale for this project...or a nice person at the post office to weigh these things up.

- POST office will pick up priority mail at the steps of your house.
- you will NOT please EVERYONE involved in this group buy. seldom happens...BUT you'll do your best
- BACK to have all the money in hand for the goods before sending these out.

If I had the money I would take this on as it can be done..easily...BUT I don't work and I can spread this over several days and nights.....
I'm disappointed that I can't be of service with the money end.
sigh
Tom

mercop
06-23-2010, 17:34
I will chime in. Put the wobbies in a zip lock and roll the air out. You will be surprised (OK maybe not this crowd) at how small it gets and as my brother Tom said see what you can fit into the flat rate boxes. Thanks for do this, I look forward to woobie projects.- George

hang um high
06-23-2010, 18:38
I don't want to be a wet blanket, but every lot of ponchos on that site indicates they are in "H7" condition.

H7 Unserviceable - condemned/ reparable
Explanation:
Material which has been determined to be unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria; Type I shelf life material that has passed the expiration date, and Type II shelf life material that has passed the expiration date and cannot be extended. NOTE: Classify obsolete and excess material to its proper condition before consigning to the DRMO. DO NOT classify material in supply condition H unless it is truly unserviceable and does not meet repair criteria. ¶

Just saying that unless you can inspect the lot, you may be bidding on a big pallet of junk.

Caveat emptor.

WonderMonkey
06-23-2010, 18:44
I'd gladly participate and accept things "as is" but if I was you I might back off this endeavor unless you can see them in person. I'd hate for someone willing to stick their neck out for the good of the group have this turn out to be a nightmare for them.

ricegravy
06-23-2010, 20:34
Put the wobbies in a zip lock and roll the air out.
- George

Nice!

-Ricegravy!

dejoha
06-24-2010, 11:36
I'd gladly participate and accept things "as is" but if I was you I might back off this endeavor unless you can see them in person. I'd hate for someone willing to stick their neck out for the good of the group have this turn out to be a nightmare for them.

Well, that last few posts have really made me re-think this endeavor. All of the lots of woobies are in Oklahoma, and we don't have any HF members who are close enough to make a site inspection an easy task.

I also received word back from the shipping crew and found the prices just double with more boxes (somewhat expected).

I hate to disappoint everyone, but I think the best decision will be to not pursue this bid at this time. New lots come up periodically, and perhaps when one comes closer (in my case, Arizona), I will be able to get on site and make a better determination.

One other options I will look into is to check with my local surplus store and see if they would let me buy a bin through them -- I'd like to see what kind of "wholesale" discount they might offer, now that I know how the pricing works.