PDA

View Full Version : BWDD - New DIY Materials

sclittlefield
06-17-2010, 12:24
We've recently gotten in a few new fabrics for you DIY enthusiasts.

0.9oz NoSeeUm netting. 54" wide, Black. Polyester. [$3.65/yd]
This NoSeeUm is really nice to work with - it's got a firmer hand than some other offerings so it's not flopping all around when you're trying to work with it. Ideal for Hammock bug netting.

1.5oz (40d) Ripstop Nylon. 62" wide, Gray. Breathabe. [$3.85/yd]
Great for Hammocks, single or double layer. If a single 1.1 is a hair too thin for you, this may just do the trick.

We also have the following fabrics in stock, as usual.

1.1oz (30d) Ripstop Nylon. 64" wide, Olive Green. Calendared, Downproof, 2nds. [$3.00/yd]
Hammocks, down quilts, stuff sacks, overcovers, etc.

1.1oz (30d) Ripstop Nylon. 68" wide, Woodland Camo. Breathable. [$3.00/yd]
Hammocks, synthetic quilts, stuff sacks, overcovers, etc.

1.4oz (30d) Ripstop Nylon. 62" wide, Woodland Camo. Lightly Coated, Downproof, Breathable. [$3.15/yd]
Down quilts, stuff sacks, etc.

1.35oz (30d) Ripstop Silnylon. 64" wide, Black,Gray,Olive Brown. Silicone impregnated. [$8.50/yd]
Tarps, stuff sacks, pack covers/liners, etc.

Keep checking back at the website - there is more to come over the next few months. It is my goal not only to offer fine finished products, but also to encourage the DIY community by making available high quality materials without a high price.

I do need to apologize, as I have to retire the $0.25/yd discount on the 1.1oz Olive and Woodland fabrics. I'm sorry. :( This discount will, however, be replaced with the occasional sale.

As always - if you have any questions re: BWDD, or have a DIY project in mind that you'd like some help with, shoot me PM or an email at [email protected]. If the message is to be involved or require pictures, email works best.

*Listed weights are post-coating.

sclittlefield
07-01-2010, 12:18
Latest addition to the DIY materials at Backwoods Daydreamer:

1" Polyester Webbing, Black. [$0.45/ft]
Seatbelt weave Polyester webbing is excellent for Hammock Webbing Suspension systems and Tree Huggers. 0.34oz/ft. 3000lb test!

More to come...

Hawk-eye
07-01-2010, 12:20
Sounds good! How much does it weigh per foot?

sclittlefield
07-01-2010, 12:26
Sounds good! How much does it weigh per foot?

It's seatbelt webbing, so it's light, but not ultralight. I'll weigh it tonight and post.

EDIT: Initial post with webbing updated to show weight - 0.34oz/ft.

sclittlefield
07-12-2010, 11:34
New Product (http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1613432):

Amsteel Blue 1/8" (Color: Black) [$0.35/ft]
Amsteel Blue is a 12-strand single braid rope made with Dyneema fibers. It is extremely strong, extremely lightweight, and it floats! It can be spliced and used for Soft-Shackles, Whoopie Slings, and UCR Constriction systems. 2500lb test!

Note: The better price is at Redden Marine, and they also offer a 5% discount with the proper HF member code. It only makes sense to purchase from BWDD if you're also getting other DIY materials that I carry to save on shipping from multiple vendors.

Also - We will soon be carrying #3 Coil Zipper by the foot as well as double-tab sliders to go with it.

Hawk-eye
07-12-2010, 11:39
How's the Backwoods Daydreamer skunkworks coming? Going to be making gear anytime soon?

sclittlefield
07-12-2010, 11:56
How's the Backwoods Daydreamer skunkworks coming? Going to be making gear anytime soon?

There's a new product underway, details will come a bit later, once I get feedback from my product testers (9 versions of "it" out now or heading out this week).

I'm having to get help to do some of the stitching, as my schedule and locale are not allowing me to do it consistently. Pending some training and quality checks, we may see things start moving along again. All help will be coming from folks right here in Maine. Slow and steady... and I know, it's been more slow than steady. My apologies to all those who've been patiently waiting.

No ETA's though, I have had help fall through in the past and don't want to go public with a "shop is open, taking orders now" and not be able to come through. Going to try and get my ducks all in a row this time.

And thank you ever so much, those who have been buying DIY materials from BWDD - your purchases have allowed me to slowly expand my materials list and to branch out into this new secret product.

I will post details and teaser pics when I am able and timing is prudent. Thank all, for your support and inquiry.

Hawk-eye
07-12-2010, 11:58
Well best wishes on the coming stuff pal!

bigfoot2
07-12-2010, 13:39
Scott,
Enough allready with the bulk materials...what we all want to know is when you are gonna' start making those awesome tarps again????!!!!????!!!! :D

BF:cool::cool:

goodcaver
07-14-2010, 09:10
Hey I was just wondering if you have gotten any feedback on hammocks made with the 1.5 oz nylon? Debating between using it or the same-ol' Hancock 1.9 oz stuff for my next hammock. Worrying about dog claws on fragile fabric... ;) :)

sclittlefield
07-14-2010, 16:25
Hey I was just wondering if you have gotten any feedback on hammocks made with the 1.5 oz nylon? Debating between using it or the same-ol' Hancock 1.9 oz stuff for my next hammock. Worrying about dog claws on fragile fabric... ;) :)

I can mail you a sample if you email me your address. [email protected]

It's significantly tougher than the 1.1oz, but not quite as much as 1.9oz - though you probably guessed that much. :) I have used it in many hammocks and it's done well. One layer held a 200lb friend comfortably and I love it for my 165lb frame.

goodcaver
07-16-2010, 03:20
sweet. I will find out my address and email it to you. (Moving back to the US next week and I don't even know what my address is right now!)

sclittlefield
07-20-2010, 12:36
Here are three new items at Backwoods Daydreamer Gear.

#3 Coil Zipper, Black. YKK Brand. [$0.25/ft]
Excellent, lightweight zipper coil for your backpacking gear. Ideal for adding bug-netting to your hammocks, for sleeping bags, bivy sacks, etc.

#3 Sliders, Zinc. YKK Brand. [$0.25/ea]
Double Tab slider, so it can be opened from inside or outside.

Carabiner - 1100lb Test. 24grams. Black. [$5.00/ea]
Smaller and lighter weight than your standard climbing rated carabiner. Rated to 1100lbs (500kg or 4.89kN) on the spine (or major axis - see arrows printed on carabiner for proper directional load).

Wayfarer62
07-23-2010, 01:51
I am in the process of trying to make my first hammock and was directed to your site. How do I go about ordering material from you? :)

sclittlefield
07-23-2010, 10:06
I am in the process of trying to make my first hammock and was directed to your site. How do I go about ordering material from you? :)

You can order straight through the webstore if you'd like.

http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/apps/webstore/

Don't hesitate with any questions.

sclittlefield
07-26-2010, 18:51
Backwoods Daydreamer tarp stakes have finally arrived!

Aluminum Y-Stakes. 7" long. Blue. [$2.49/pr]
7 inch, hard anodized aluminum Y-stakes are great for your tarp needs. These lightweight Y-stakes offer a solid attachment point to the ground. Bright orange cord attached for increased visibility and easy removal.

sclittlefield
07-26-2010, 19:49
PLEASE NOTE: We will be closed from July 31 - Aug. 10. Any orders through July 30 will be sent on the 31st. Orders placed from July 31- Aug. 10 will be shipped Aug. 11. Thank you.

gargoyle
07-26-2010, 19:52
Have a good and well deserved trip.

Hangin' Fro
07-29-2010, 06:31
I was browsing through your store and noticed that your 210D Oxford Nylon - Urethane Coated is cheaper and lighter weight than your 1.35oz Sil Nylon. Could I use the 210D to make a tarp out of or is it not made for that?

sclittlefield
07-29-2010, 07:48
I was browsing through your store and noticed that your 210D Oxford Nylon - Urethane Coated is cheaper and lighter weight than your 1.35oz Sil Nylon. Could I use the 210D to make a tarp out of or is it not made for that?

Yes, you definitely could make a tarp out of it, but just be aware that the weight is significantly higher than the Silnylon, by about 3X. If weight is not a concern, it will work great, it's very waterproof.

If you're going to spend the money to build a tarp though, I really do recommend getting the right stuff. Check out silnylon seconds at www.owfinc.com if the cost of first quality is too high.

:) Don't hesitate with any other questions.

sclittlefield
10-18-2010, 12:29
Hey gang, we've got a few new additions to the DIY lineup at Backwoods Daydreamer.

First off, Y-Stakes (http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1646928) are on sale: Buy 4 get 1 FREE.

And now for new products:

7/64" Amsteel Blue (Color: Black) [$0.25/ft]
We had originally stocked 1/8", but have just now switched to the less expensive (but still extremely strong, at 1400lb test minimum) 7/64" Amsteel Blue.

1.1oz (30d) Ripstop Nylon, Gray. Calendared. [$3.85/yd]
Another high end, downproof ripstop nylon ideal for lightweight hammocks, stuff sacks, down and synthetic quilts, etc.

1.1oz (30d) Silnylon 2nds. Gray and Royal Blue [$5.50/yd]
It's finally in, in limited quantities. Great for tarps and stuff sacks, and anything else you use Silnylon 1sts for, but cheaper.

And last, last but certainly not least...

The Quarter Shop. Hardware and Roll goods for [$0.25]
You've heard of the dollar store... here is BWDD's quarter shop. We have a growing listing of available hardware and roll goods for a quarter. Some are sold each, some by the pair, some by the foot, others by the yard.
- Cordlocks (ea)
- Mitten hooks (pair)
- O-rings (pair)
- D-rings (pair)
- Draw Cord (ft)
- Shock Cord (ft)
- Gross Grain from 3/8" to 1.5" (varies)
- Webbing (ft)
- Hook & Loop (ft, includes both sides)

Go build something! :)

Lonely Raven
10-18-2010, 12:56
Funny, I put in an order last week, and I think I bought each one of those items, except for the Amsteel.

dandeman
10-18-2010, 19:41

hey i just got some 1.5oz from bwdd and made a hammock with it, it is awesome..im 5'8" and 175 and it is plenty strong, and also held my bro who is much taller and close to 220..its really light and strong. i dont know why people use 1.9, it seems like overkill

sclittlefield
10-19-2010, 10:38
Funny, I put in an order last week, and I think I bought each one of those items, except for the Amsteel.

I believe you're right, and thank you. :)

hey i just got some 1.5oz from bwdd and made a hammock with it, it is awesome..im 5'8" and 175 and it is plenty strong, and also held my bro who is much taller and close to 220..its really light and strong. i dont know why people use 1.9, it seems like overkill

That is fantastic material... I wish I could find more - we've run out and the supplier has gone dry on it. I'm in search of a replacement.

Most folks use either 1.1oz (30d) or 1.9oz (70d) because those are the common fabrics that all major textile manufacturers make. The 40d (1.5/1.6oz) is a very uncommon fabric so it's hard to find. The 40d is great, but 70d makes a fine hammock as well. :)

Bags4266
10-19-2010, 10:57
Errrr, I was just getting ready to purchase some of the 1.5 oz for a hammock when I saw it was all gone. I don't want the 1.9 and the 1.1 seems to light. 1.5 oz was Goldie Locks "Just right"

sclittlefield
10-26-2010, 10:03
We've just added thread.

Gutterman's 100% Polyester. Tex 40. 1100yds. Black. [$3.85]
The ideal DIY thread for all your outdoor gear needs, from tarps to hammocks to quilts to stuff sacks. Outdoor gear requires a high quality thread to stand up to the abuse we put it thorough - this Guttermann's is up to the task. Runs well on all standard sewing machines, both home models and professional.

Backtrack
11-08-2010, 20:52
I'm very pleased with my DIY materials I got from BWDD. Very good prices and fast shipping. Will do business with them again! :D

Big Jim Mac
11-08-2010, 21:11
Another plus for BWDD. Can't believe how fast Scott ships stuff out and the advice is always free! So far I've gotten carbiners, thread, tent stakes, draw cord, cord locks, grosgrain, webbing and zippers by the foot. In one case I ordered fabric from Seattle Fabrics and ordered from Scott a week later -- his package came before Seattle's. Won't be my last order. Really, all you DIY suppliers on this site do a great job, thanks a bunch for being there and for answering all my dumb questions.

sclittlefield
11-12-2010, 19:43
One more new item, more coming.

1" Polyester Webbing, Black. 1500lb test. [$0.45/ft]
Polyester webbing is excellent for Hammock Webbing Suspension systems and Tree Huggers. This is a lighter weight / lower load addition to our 1" Polyester webbing offering. 0.2 oz/ft. 1500lb test.

I'm very pleased with my DIY materials I got from BWDD. Very good prices and fast shipping. Will do business with them again! :D

Another plus for BWDD. Can't believe how fast Scott ships stuff out and the advice is always free!

Thanks guys.

Backtrack
11-12-2010, 20:38
I didn't lie! My second order came in today! How do you ship that fast????
Keep on providing the good stuff for us DIY hangers!:lol:

sclittlefield
12-01-2010, 23:09
Two new items.

3/32" Draw Cord. Nylon. Black w/ Orange tracer. [$0.25/ 2ft]
This is a really nice nylon draw cord with an orange tracer. Great for stuff sacks and anywhere else you would use high quality nylon cord. Currently sold in 2ft increments.

1.5" Polyester Webbing. Digital Camo. 1500lb Test. [$0.45/ft]
For those of you who want a slightly wider tree hugger, we now offer 1.5" Polyester webbing well suited for such needs. Be careful you don't misplace them though, this camo has a tendency to simply disappear. 0.40 oz/ft

Also, our Y-Stakes (http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/apps/webstore/products/show/1646928) are still on sale, and will be straight through Christmas.

sclittlefield
12-10-2010, 19:07
Two New Fabrics:

1.5oz (70d) Ripstop Nylon. 60" wide. Foliage Gray. Breathable. 2nds. [$3.25/yd]
Yes, you read it right. 70 denier and only 1.5oz/yd2! This is a really soft fabric, very comfortable against the skin. Great for Hammocks, single or double layer. If a single 1.1 is a hair too thin for you, this may just do the trick.

1.1oz (30d) Ripstop Nylon. 48" wide. Black. Breathable. 2nds. [$2.75/yd]
Only 48" wide, so not the best for hammocks unless you're going ultralight and want less width. Use for hammock socks, synthetic quilts, stuff sacks, etc. Not downproof.

We're also now offering Coil Zipper in the larger #5 size. YKK brand.

bloomgorge
12-10-2010, 19:37
all this seems old news when you check the site everyday....love BWDD materials.

ShadowAlpha
12-10-2010, 21:40
love BWDD materials.

Ditto!

The message you have entered is too short. Please lengthen your message to at least 10 characters.

MAD777
12-11-2010, 09:11
Double ditto!

sclittlefield
12-11-2010, 10:47
Hello, my name is Scott, and I'm a "DIY Gear-Aholic"...

My goal is not so much to recover myself, instead I put all my "recovery" efforts to bring everyone else down with me.

(See Rule #5 of the Stress Diet (http://www.jokebuddha.com/joke/Diet_for_Stress_1) for the foundation of this philosophy.)

love BWDD materials.

Ditto!

Double ditto!

I appreciate it fellas. Thus far, everything coming in has been going right back out into adding to the materials list. We'll keep adding fabrics and roll goods and hardware until we can offer about everything you need to build your hammock and backpacking gear - and we'll try to keep everything as affordable for you as possible.

Bags4266
12-11-2010, 12:01
Excellent glad to see you found the 1.5oz ripstop again. Perfect weight for my size. Order on the way!

bloomgorge
12-14-2010, 21:59
just got another order in. the 3/32 black/orange rope is ideal for tarp tie outs or using for a ridge line. Scott also packages his hook & loop really cleverly. Fast shipping as always.

Bags4266
12-15-2010, 16:59
Scott, Thanks for the fast shipping on the 1.5 ripstop. Must say the color grey is nice, muted not like the sil nylon grey color I'm very happy w/ it. It's going to make a great hammock for the springtime.

sclittlefield
12-16-2010, 11:05
Mini-Carabiner. Green. 1.5" x .75" [$0.55]
Mini biners have a multitude of uses. We use them here at Backwoods Daydreamer to clip items to hammock ridgelines and backpacks, for tarp suspension, and a whole lot more. NOT FOR CLIMBING!

And...

We are now an authorized dealer of Gutermann thread. I've changed over our current thread from Mara 100 to Mara 70, the #70 is a tiny bit stronger. We've also added a new Gutermann thread to the offerings, Tera 40. This is a very (very very very) strong thread. It's still only Tex 40, just like the Mara 70, so it works great on any home or industrial sewing machine.

We are only stocking these threads in black, as it is the most common color and goes with most anything. Special order colors are available, but only in lots of 10 (sorry!). As we're able to add to inventory, I plan to offer colors to match some of our more popular fabrics.

Here's the new lineup on Thread at BWDD:

Gutermann 100% Polyester. Mara 70. 765yds. Black. [$3.65]
Mara is Gutermann's "sew all" line of polyester threads and uses their innovative micro-core technology. For strong, reliable, and even seams, this is the ideal thread for nearly all your outdoor gear projects - tarps, hammocks, quilts, stuff sacks, etc.

Gutermann 100% Polyester. Tera 40. 437yds. Black. [$3.65]
Tera is for your more critical applications. It is still just a Tex 40 in size, but incredibly strong! (I haven't been able to break it with my hands). This is an ideal thread for backpacks, tarp ridgelines, end-channel hammocks, and any application where your seams need an uncompromising strength.

sclittlefield
12-17-2010, 10:42
1.1oz (30d) Ripstop Nylon. 48" wide. Black. Breathable. 2nds. [$2.75/yd]
Only 48" wide, so not the best for hammocks unless you're going ultralight and want less width. Use for hammock socks, synthetic quilts, stuff sacks, etc. Not downproof.

CORRECTION: This material is 1.0 oz/yd2.

sclittlefield
12-30-2010, 17:04
Latest offering:

1.6oz (40x70d) Ripstop Nylon. 65" wide, Digital Camo. Waterproof. 2nds [$3.50/yd] LINK (http://www.backwoodsdaydreamer.com/apps/webstore/products/show/2027020)
This is a lightweight Military Spec Poncho ripstop nylon with a 1oz - 1.5 oz urethane coating to make it waterproof and non-breathable. 1.6oz/yd2 base weight, finished weight is 2.8oz/yd2. Not as light as silnylon, but in the pattern so many of us love.

I've had 2 gallons of water in a yard of it suspended all day with no leakage - including me trying to squeeze water out.

Also - sorry we ran out of NoSeeUm. We've got another 300+yds on order, but it won't ship until Jan 4th (mill closed until then).

bloomgorge
01-01-2011, 13:55
i had a dream last night there was $2.25 silnylon for sale on BWDD. i woke up this morning thinking it was true excited to order, checked the site and didn't find it. this situation is similar to when you're looking for something and when you can't find it think in your head where the f did (insert wifes name) put it.
i'm having dreams about BWDD <---- issues maybe.

Rhino
01-01-2011, 15:04
Two new items.

1.5" Polyester Webbing. Digital Camo. 1500lb Test. [$0.45/ft]
For those of you who want a slightly wider tree hugger, we now offer 1.5" Polyester webbing well suited for such needs. Be careful you don't misplace them though, this camo has a tendency to simply disappear. 0.40 oz/ft

any chance you could get this in a "1 size?

i had a dream last night there was $2.25 silnylon for sale on BWDD. i woke up this morning thinking it was true excited to order, checked the site and didn't find it. this situation is similar to when you're looking for something and when you can't find it think in your head where the f did (insert wifes name) put it.

ha good...

sclittlefield
01-01-2011, 16:29

Sorry, no $2.25 sil... I'll keep my eyes out though!

What a day for a daydream
What a day for a daydreamin' boy
And I'm lost in a daydream
Dreamin' 'bout my bundle of joy

The "bundle of joy" of course being the latest package you've received from BWDD. :)

any chance you could get this in a "1 size?

No, sorry. It was only available in 1.5" and 2". Goes real nice with the new digital fabric though.

bloomgorge
01-02-2011, 20:17
waiting for that **** no-see-um to arrive and there is going to be a flurry of spending.

i'm using 7/64 amsteel blue,...anyone think BWDD's 3/32 nylon draw cord would work for prusiks for a top cover or standard HH tarp which relies on prusik attachments for OEM set up?

sclittlefield
02-10-2011, 10:29
Four new items. The first two were obtained because we're going to be making a couple backpack patterns available in the near future - just need to tweak them a little more. The next, Insultex, goes along with our DIY IX Underquilt instructions. And finally we have some great 1.9mm dyneema single braid line - spliceable.

1.9oz (70d) Ripstop Nylon. 62" wide, Green. Coated. Fire Retardant. [$3.50/yd]
We purchased this ripstop specifically for backpacks, but it's also great for bivy sacks, stuff sacks, and anywhere you need a rugged, waterproof ripstop nylon. After all the coatings, finished weight is 3.4oz/yd^2.

200D Oxford Nylon. Silicone Coated. Pre-Cut 12" wide. Black. [$0.50/yd]
We also purchased this fabric specifically for backpacks. All of our pack designs require a 12" wide back and bottom panel. Save time and money by using this pre-cut fabric on your pack. This width is also great for rugged stuff sacks and tarp tie-out reinforcement pieces.

Insultex Thermal Insulation. 60"+ wide. [$6.35/yd]
Finally available to the Do-It-Yourself gear maker - Insultex is an amazing new insulation with a wide range of applications. Insultex is easily sewn and is very flexible. It is a closed cell structure, so it does not stuff as well as down or Climashield, but is very thin and folds or rolls well. Insultex is fairly tough on it's own (it has a thin polyester scrim quilted to both sides), but benefits greatly from a fabric shell.

1.9mm Tech Line. Gray. [$0.18/ft]
Our Tech Line is a single braid Dyneema line. It is extremely strong with a 480 lb test ratng, and lightweight at 0.018 oz/ft. Tech Line can be spliced and is ideal for tarp tie-outs, hammock ridgelines, bear bagging, and more. It is thin and light enough to keep an extra hank in your pack for emergencies without weighing you down or taking up space..
Tech Line is rated to 480 lbs. NOT SUITABLE FOR CLIMBING OR HAMMOCK SUSPENSIONS.

morena
02-10-2011, 10:39
Love doing business with BWDD. Always a class act. 100% referable. You will not be sorry.

bloomgorge
02-10-2011, 11:40
Love doing business with BWDD. Always a class act. 100% referable. You will not be sorry.

+1

hot **** - you can order insultex now

sclittlefield
02-24-2011, 12:55
Lots of new items added to the Webstore today. New fabric, buckles, and increase sizes on various items - as well as new colors in the thread lineup to match a few of our fabrics.

rjcress
02-25-2011, 18:12
Lots of new items added to the Webstore today. New fabric, buckles, and increase sizes on various items - as well as new colors in the thread lineup to match a few of our fabrics.

Awesome. Already ordered a bunch of your new stuff. :)
Can't wait for it to get here.