PDA

View Full Version : Taslan anyone?

nailer
06-23-2010, 01:20
I just found a dealer specialized in military fabrics and found a fabric called taslan recommended for tarpaulines, rainsuits and tents, and thought it would be a good choice for a tarp or even a hammock. It is supposed to be waterproff and breatable, 70 denier 2 ply (?) and 60 inches wide. It comes in ACU universal cammo pattern and it is only 1.50 Dlls the yard, minimum order of 25 yards, but the less expensive shipping method is more than 30 Dlls, so you will end up paying about 70 dollars for 25 yards.
http://www.fortune3.com/magnafabrics/ACU_Camo_Waterproof-Waterproof_breathable_70_denier_2_ply_taslan.html

Someone have had experience with this type of fabric?

They also sell woodland ripstop cotton, cordura, and other camo patterns, and used to have last week a 1.6 oz ripstop nylon in urban grey, but today I couldnīt find it. The other fabrics are sold by different lenght rolls, so even if it is cheap by the yard, you need to spend more than 200 dollars.

PKT
06-23-2010, 13:56
Taslan and supplex are interchangble terms I believe and are fine for hammocks
the odd thing is that most I've seen are not coated or water proof and that is a
good thing for hammocks.
What was pictured looked like what Wallmart used to sell as ripstop.
As far as the denier ?? not sure maybe Rev or someone will post for you.

Dutch
06-23-2010, 14:27
I just want to warn you Magna fabrics is not always easy to deal with.

PuckerFactor
06-23-2010, 17:37
70D is generally correlated to 1.9oz fabric, I believe.

Acer

Ramblinrev
06-23-2010, 18:01
70D is generally correlated to 1.9oz fabric, I believe.

Acer

That is my understanding as well.

nailer
06-24-2010, 00:55
Thanks for the answers, I looked like a good deal if not for the shipping. Anyway, I think I will let it pass. More fabric than I need right now.

Anyway, I just met a guy who will make me sort of a replica ww2 US Navy hammock after I lost a real one at Ebay for 46 Dlls plus 15 for shipping, today. We had to compromise with what was available, but It will cost me about the equivalent of 32 US Dollars, and said he would charge me about the same for a 3x3 meters tarp made of silk nylon. I was thinking of a setup simmilar to the All Terrain Hybrid hammock by Grand Trunk, with 8 or maybe 10 tying points, so I could use it over my hammocks or as a spare hammock or tent, etc.
How about this deal, both price and fabric? This guy doesnīt know about ounces or deniers, but has used this fabric before and says it works ok of tarps and its water repellent. I suppose it is at least 1 oz., donīt know if it can come thinier.
I have not yet seen a tarp of exactly this size, they always come rectangular, and I suppose that I can fold it lengthwise if I want to make a hammock, so it would be double layer, and use it like a diamond rain fly over my Skeeter Beeter.

JohnSawyer
06-25-2010, 17:29
$32 for a silnylon tarp?

Have you considered exporting to the US? I'd love to see pics when you get it!