PDA

View Full Version : Perfect CCF mat form

Nico
06-30-2010, 08:22
Hey guys,

I just got a 1x2m (3,2x6,4 ft or 40x80 inch) 5mm (0,2 inch) EVAzote mat. In fact I got two of them, one for ground camping and one for the hammock.

What I'd like to ask is: Is there a perfect form for hammock pads? What should I take care of before I cut the mat?

My first thouht was cutting it like this:

What do you say?

Nico
07-05-2010, 05:42
No thoughts? No experiences?

SGT Rock
07-05-2010, 06:24
http://hikinghq.net/gear/pocket_pad.html

Oh-No
07-05-2010, 06:28
Although I'm somewhat of a gram weenie, I have to say that I
leave my CCF pads full length & rectangular. I move around so
I don't think a pad designed for just a right or left diagonal lay
would work for me.

kayak karl
07-05-2010, 06:45
http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/Accessories.htm
they are out of stock now, but i bought the wide one and cut it. i just wanted more then 20" at my shoulders. one 1/4" pad got me to 40 degrees.

oldgringo
07-05-2010, 07:10
There have been several discussions on this topic...it will take some digging, but they're here to be found. Seems like Brandon had some plans that involved making short cuts along the sides to allow the pad to conform to the loaded hammock.

KerMegan
07-05-2010, 07:32
sort of like the clip/snips you make when sewing a curved seam allowance? (that lets the material adjust to the curve without undue stress on the parts that must move the most...)
KM.

kthompson
07-05-2010, 08:07
I used a clipped corner ridgerest for years in my HH. Cut a 3-4" triangle off each corner. Worked fine and I didn't miss the corners when(shudder)camping on the ground.

soundmanob
07-05-2010, 09:14
At first Brandon recommended acute angles cut it at waist to avoid bunching up. Then there was a post after that recommending just slits cut so there was "Overlap" of the "Cuts" I tried both methods and both would end up tearing the CCF at the apex. Then the duct tape... (Good thing these were the cheap WW CCF.) Looks like hell now but works... Best remedy for "Bunching up" is to cut the pad more narrow (especially at waist) and use a TQ for that downy goodness feel.
Now I measure the shoulders, add a couple inches each side (At the top) then taper to 18-24: depending on hammock. Angle the taper if you choose (Ala BB footbox) You can use taped newspaper for a pattern if you are wanting to get it right the first time, Lol

I also tried the 1/16" Minicell (Got a good deal on clearance but shipping a killer) that Brandon says has the thermal properties of the 1/8" of other brands. Following that advice, two pieces should be like a 1/4" thermal equivalent. The really good thing is this stuff doubles and rolls real tight. Good for summer, above 60 deg I'd say but tried doubling to 55 deg with good results. I have a wide Burrow to wrap around so your results ay vary.
Now I cut my long piece in two separating the torso from the footbox (Or sitpad) piece keeping it in the hammock for adjustments in the night.

Take-a-knee
07-05-2010, 18:50
I would NOT cut slits, it'll rip. I cut mine coffin shaped. 28in wide, shoulders to hips, tapering from the hips down to 20in wide at the foot. Cut a radius on the top corner (head end).

I've found 28in to be BARELY wide enough, I'm 5'8"/ 166. 30in min is probably better, you can always trim more later.