PDA

View Full Version : MMG 3/4 IX UQ - Insultex Underquilt

MacEntyre
06-30-2010, 08:48
Molly Mac Gear 3/4 IX UQ (http://www.MollyMacGear.com/new.html)

Same size as the 5-in-1 Jerry Chair...
Same sewn-in 2'x3' InsulTubes Torso Heater as all MMG UQs...
Same two layer, inside-out construction with differential cut as all MMG UQs...

...but it weighs about 5.5 oz, including suspension!

The first one will be shipped to an HFer in Australia! Pictures to follow.

- MacEntyre

Alpha Yak
07-02-2010, 01:18
Whoo Australia!

MacEntyre
07-03-2010, 21:00
Canoeski has convinced me that I should offer a breathable nylon covering on the outside of the 3/4 IX UQ. I think it is a good idea!

Basically, it is the 5-in-1 Jerry Chair, optimized for a single function: UnderQuilt!

This may be the best IX UQ yet... :cool:

- MacEntyre

Alpha Yak
07-04-2010, 05:35
Can't wait to see the pics, are we talking shoulder to knee coverage?

MacEntyre
07-04-2010, 06:06
Can't wait to see the pics, are we talking shoulder to knee coverage?
The pattern is 54 (correction) inches long, but then it is heavily darted. It's about 51" long finished, shoulder to knee, possibly a little longer for a 6' person

Pics later today!

Bubba
07-04-2010, 07:37
I think I may change my order if that it possible. Looking forward to the pics.

BigRed77
07-04-2010, 08:02
To bad you don't make a cover for universal WBBB IX. Would a seperate cover that is breathable DWR be a good thing to keep out wind and mist?

BigRed

MacEntyre
07-04-2010, 08:05
I think I may change my order if that it possible. Looking forward to the pics.
Certainly! Just let me know in the next couple of days!

To bad you don't make a cover for universal WBBB IX. Would a seperate cover that is breathable DWR be a good thing to keep out wind and mist?

I have covered them, when the customer insists, but it only adds weight, cost and color. IX needs nothing to keep out the wind and mist. It is excellent at blocking wind, and it is water resistant, yet breathable.

Hedcase used his IX UQ as a TQ hung on his ridgeline, when his tarp was leaking right above his hammock. He said it worked just fine!

Take-a-knee
07-04-2010, 08:22
Canoeski has convinced me that I should offer a breathable nylon covering on the outside of the 3/4 IX UQ. I think it is a good idea!

Basically, it is the 5-in-1 Jerry Chair, optimized for a single function: UnderQuilt!

This may be the best IX UQ yet... :cool:

- MacEntyre

How 'bout using this thing with the Supershelter cover?

MacEntyre
07-04-2010, 08:52
How 'bout using this thing with the Supershelter cover?
I use my IX UQs with the 2QZQ UQ Protector. A weather shield, like the Supershelter cover, works very well with the IX UQs. You can remove it and save the weight when you don't think you'll need it. It adds almost 10 degrees of warmth, some have said. If you use a HH Asym Tarp, like I sometimes do, then a weather shield makes up for it's deficiencies in conditions with wind-blown rain. :cool:

The three IX UQs offer a good range of options. The full length Universal IX UQ is as light as a full length UQ can be. The 5-in-1 Jerry Chair is as rugged as a UQ can be. The 3/4 IX UQ is a minimal as a UQ can be. Now ya got me bein' proud... :rolleyes:

It would be nice if Insultex came in forest green, wouldn't it?

:mellow:

BigRed77
07-04-2010, 10:01
I agree about the color.

BigRed

MacEntyre
07-04-2010, 11:19
Here it is! With suspension, it weighs 8.8 oz. It is completely symetrical, so either end can be the head or foot. With two layers, plus the sewn-in 2'x3' InsulTubes Torso Heater, it should be good to freezing.

I'll get Thing1 to help me hang this afternoon, and we'll make a movie.

Looks like a Baby Orca, eh?

Bubba
07-04-2010, 11:48
I really like that a lot.:)

Take-a-knee
07-04-2010, 12:47
Here it is! With suspension, it weighs 8.8 oz. It is completely symetrical, so either end can be the head or foot. With two layers, plus the sewn-in 2'x3' InsulTubes Torso Heater, it should be good to freezing.

I'll get Thing1 to help me hang this afternoon, and we'll make a movie.

Looks like a Baby Orca, eh?

You figured out a price for that gem yet?

MacEntyre
07-04-2010, 12:49
You figured out a price for that gem yet?
Current prices are at the bottom of the Insultex page on the Molly Mac Gear web site (http://www.MollyMacGear.com/new.html)!

MacEntyre
07-04-2010, 13:32
Here is a video of the 3/4 IX UQ "Baby Orca" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZU-eK7oof8):

kZU-eK7oof8

Bubba
07-04-2010, 13:40
Looks great. Can you change my order to the 3/4 length? I'll e-mail you. Thanks.

MacEntyre
07-04-2010, 13:52
Looks great. Can you change my order to the 3/4 length? I'll e-mail you. Thanks.
Done! You are entyrely welcome!

- MacEntyre

lizzie
07-04-2010, 14:15
Hey that's great! Just what I have been looking for. Looks like that folds down pretty small too.

canoeski
07-04-2010, 15:16
Here is a video of the 3/4 IX UQ "Baby Orca" (http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kZU-eK7oof8):

kZU-eK7oof8

Whoa!!!
That looks sharp.
Did you whip that together since we communicated just yesterday?

" I'm ready. I'm ready. I'm ready. " (Sponge Bob voice: off):lol::lol::lol:

TOB9595
07-04-2010, 16:42
Mac, good GRIEF. The IX evolution you are leading is really remarkable.
I just love it

GREAT VID!!!
sound could be louder...all around.
Tom

gnome
07-04-2010, 17:58
weight of 5 in one Jerry chair?

MacEntyre
07-04-2010, 19:21
weight of 5 in one Jerry chair?
12 to 16 oz, depending on fabric choices.

riverkeeper
07-06-2010, 01:58
The three IX UQs offer a good range of options. The full length Universal IX UQ is as light as a full length UQ can be. The 5-in-1 Jerry Chair is as rugged as a UQ can be. The 3/4 IX UQ is a minimal as a UQ can be.
:mellow:

Based on my 11-12x use of your Medium IX UQ (Ver 5/2010, InsTbs) from about freezing to 48 or so, you are on to something with these critters Mac.

I ordered a Universal UQ late last week but also considering a possible order change to the 3/4.

I noted the length, weight of the finished 3/4 is 51", 5.5 or 8.8 oz ??
Could you provide the finished widest width too?

And the same info for the finished Universal.

Info on the discontinued Medium (which is now stashed in a patrol cabin) recall was about 8 oz, widest approx ~48" tapered to ~30" and about 6 ft long.

MacEntyre
07-06-2010, 06:34
...considering a possible order change to the 3/4.
Just let me know before the week is out.

5.5 or 8.8 oz ??
...depending on whether the outside is covered.

Could you provide the finished widest width too? And the same info for the finished Universal.
Both are about 45" at the widest point... all this info is now on the IX UQ web page (http://www.MollyMacGear.com/new.html).

Glad it's working well for you, RiverKeeper!

- MacEntyre

riverkeeper
07-06-2010, 11:59
Thanks for the info Mac.

I was thinking of shortening the Medium to ease entering-exiting my HH BPr (length is fine on the Eplorer). But MIGHT now go with the 3/4 on the BPr in the BC and use the Medium on slightly larger hammers at home including the Explorer,.

Will let you know today if I change.