PDA

View Full Version : Mac's IX UQ with Clark NX 250 (pics)

Miguel
07-01-2010, 20:37
Today I received Mac's new IX UQ and discovered a new and excellent way to hang it from my Clark NX 250. I should say I've had some minor problems getting a good UQ hang from my homemade UQ with the 250. I experienced the same thing with Mac's until I discovered a new way to hang it. It's closes up the ends tight as a drum. Instead of hanging it as normal, straight to the suspension strap, I ran the bungees up and over the straps that hold the Clark spreader rods. Perfect fit! The pics show my first sloppy attempt and the new and improved method. The difference is obvious. I also have a pic of the UQ hanging quite well from an Eno double.

BTW...the UQ seems to really retain the heat...thanks Mac for a great product...it weighed in at 9 OZ which saved me about a pound and a half over my regular UQ.

Miguel

Cocksy_86
07-02-2010, 03:32
I was concerned that the pockets underneath would affect the UQ. But looks fine in the photos thanks for the post.

Miguel
07-02-2010, 12:53
The pockets don't effect it in a negative way....they effect it in a positive way by providing more dead air space. I think due to the pockets I'll be able to use the IX UQ in even lower temps. Time will tell.

MacEntyre
07-02-2010, 13:35
Looks very good!

Perhaps you could stuff the pockets with scrap Insultex!

Miguel
07-02-2010, 13:51
Looks very good!

Perhaps you could stuff the pockets with scrap Insultex!

I'll be awaiting all your scraps...won't even charge you a disposal fee.:)

Seriously...I'm very happy with the UQ. We're leaving on a week long kayaking/camping trip on Monday. I'll give a better report when I return.

The TQ is tempting....any prices yet? My pack keeps getting lighter and lighter in part due to you.:boggle:

Miguel

MacEntyre
07-02-2010, 14:38
The TQ is tempting....any prices yet?
Yes! Visit the IX page on the MollyMacGear website (http://www.mollymacgear.com/new.html).

My pack keeps getting lighter and lighter in part due to you.:boggle:
Thank you very much for those kind words, Miguel! My pack is getting lighter, too! I'm loving it!

Now, if I can make as much progress losing body weight as I have been losing pack weight, I'll be all set!

- MacEntyre

canoeski
07-02-2010, 17:50
Mac, I saw your website last week and was very intrigued. My only reservation is cosmetic (and normally I'm not like that). No offense, but I'm not sure I could sleep confidently with others if my hammock looked like it was wearing Depends.:( (they already think I'm weird) I need an underquilt, not adult underwear.

I know you don't cover it because it adds unnecessary weight, unlike the chair which needs the functionality. Is there any way to die it?

MacEntyre
07-02-2010, 18:31
Is there any way to die it?
Haven't cracked that nut yet... still working on it.

I will add a lightweight covering to the outside, if you like. I use a 2QZQ UQ Protector.

canoeski
07-02-2010, 19:40
Haven't cracked that nut yet... still working on it.

I will add a lightweight covering to the outside, if you like. I use a 2QZQ UQ Protector.

Hmmm.
I had to look up the 2QzQ UQ Protector which is from silnylon (missed that last time I was at their site).

Maybe the condensation isn't a problem with the Ix material, but I thought it was a little breathable. I would think uncoated lightweight nylon (camo or some other dark, low impact) color would be best.

What I'm looking for is a weather tolerable, summer weight, 3/4 UQ to save weight and space and not worry about if I leave it up for extended periods.
I think your product meets most of those criteria. It should be compatible with a HH, Blackbird and BMBH.

BTW, what are InsulTubes; and how much does the 3/4 UQ weigh?

Thanks,
~bill

MacEntyre
07-02-2010, 22:00
...I thought it was a little breathable. I would think uncoated lightweight nylon (camo or some other dark, low impact) color would be best.
IX is breathable, barely. Uncoated would be best for a sewn on cover.

What I'm looking for is a weather tolerable, summer weight, 3/4 UQ to save weight and space and not worry about if I leave it up for extended periods.
I think your product meets most of those criteria. It should be compatible with a HH, Blackbird and BMBH.
Yes, the 3/4 IX UQ with a cover on the outside would meet those criteria.

what are InsulTubes;
There is a 2'x3' IX pad inside the UQs, with thick pleats sewn down the length. It keeps the two IX layers separate, and gives you CBS protection!

and how much does the 3/4 UQ weigh?
With no cover, it is about 6 oz.

BillyBob58
07-02-2010, 22:03
With no cover, it is about 6 oz.

What is the IX Jerry chair, with 2 IX layers, weigh? But it has optional fabrics of dif weights, correct?

MacEntyre
07-03-2010, 06:06
What is the IX Jerry chair, with 2 IX layers, weigh?
12 to 17 oz, depending on the fabrics.

But it has optional fabrics of dif weights, correct?
Correct!

Miguel
07-03-2010, 11:35
Mac, I saw your website last week and was very intrigued. My only reservation is cosmetic (and normally I'm not like that). No offense, but I'm not sure I could sleep confidently with others if my hammock looked like it was wearing Depends.:( (they already think I'm weird) I need an underquilt, not adult underwear.

I know you don't cover it because it adds unnecessary weight, unlike the chair which needs the functionality. Is there any way to die it?

"Adult underwear" Well...I guess that's one more thing I can leave home.:D Thanks again Mac for creating a dual usage item and lightening my pack even more. This just keeps getting better and better.

Miguel

canoeski
07-03-2010, 19:49
Mac:
Order placed. Thanks!!!

Miguel:
Thanks for starting this thread.

pig.slayer
07-27-2010, 17:32
Very nice light weight on the 3/4 IX UQ.

Can anyone tell me what size it packs down to ???

I'm looking for a light weight but compact UQ so it doesn't take up much room in my pack.

canoeski
07-27-2010, 18:00
Very nice light weight on the 3/4 IX UQ.

Can anyone tell me what size it packs down to ???

I'm looking for a light weight but compact UQ so it doesn't take up much room in my pack.

Mine fits not too tightly into an old small thermarest silnylon stuffsack: about 5"diam x 8" long. (I'm at work, but later tonight can measure it precisely)
After 7 nights I'm loving it. A review is in progress.