PDA

View Full Version : Another Happy Hammocker thanks to Whoopie

Ashman
07-02-2010, 16:26
Ordered a set of slings to put on my Hennessy Explorer. I got a red one for the "head" and green for the "foot". I had no trouble at all installing them thanks to the excellent instructional videos Opie has made. I have been using snake skins in the past. One skin almost covers the entire hammock with the stock suspension off.

For the gram counters out there, by my scale two whoopie slings weigh 1.5 oz whereas the stock suspension ropes for the HH came in at 6 oz, some may say 4.5 oz big whoop (pun intended) but I say that is a 75% reduction in the weight of suspension!

Alas a lack of decent trees in my backyard prevent a decent test, I see a hike on the Nat Greene Trail and a nap in my future for tomorrow!

Tikki-Tavi
07-02-2010, 16:30
Thanks Ashman,

I've been looking for the weight savings. Been thinkin' bout switching to whoopies myself.

- Tikki-Tavi

opie
07-02-2010, 16:54
Ash.. I cant remember.. Did you get 8' slings?

Glad they arrived OK and you got them switched out.

Ashman
07-02-2010, 17:10
I think I got the 6'.

SkyPainter
07-02-2010, 18:43
Thanks Ashman,

I've been looking for the weight savings. Been thinkin' bout switching to whoopies myself.

- Tikki-Tavi

===> I see a set of Whoopies in my immediate future, too, as soon as I send my HH Exped to 2QZQ for the Mod 4 upgrade! Will have a whole new rig when it comes back! I have been using a "Toggled Bight", which works great, but the lesser weight, and the infinite adjustment of the Whoopies really seems worth it. Plus, they are just plain cool! :D

Dudorino
07-02-2010, 19:25
===> I see a set of Whoopies in my immediate future, too, as soon as I send my HH Exped to 2QZQ for the Mod 4 upgrade! Will have a whole new rig when it comes back! I have been using a "Toggled Bight", which works great, but the lesser weight, and the infinite adjustment of the Whoopies really seems worth it. Plus, they are just plain cool! :D

I changed out the standard rigging on my HH for 8' Woopie Slings and 6 foot camo tree huggers with toggles. I never even tried the ropes came with it.

The slings are much lighter and consume less space than the rope. There's enough room to fit the hammock with an extra large rain fly into the snake skins and the whole thing fits in the small HH bag.

I can't imagine using anything but the slings. :D

wetware1967
07-02-2010, 21:01
I changed out the standard rigging on my HH for 8' Woopie Slings and 6 foot camo tree huggers with toggles. I never even tried the ropes came with it.

Yep, did the same with my nano-7. admittedly it doesn't come with any suspension, just a set of carbiners looped through the end channels. But I ordered a set of slings, a ridgeline, tree huggers as soon as I had the hammock in hand. Didn't even try to hang until they were installed.