PDA

View Full Version : ENO Slap Straps... JUNK??????

jons4real
07-02-2010, 20:36
The general consensus was that the Slap Straps ENO sells for suspension were no good why is that? They look really nic eto me but I'm new to this so... yeah I have no idea,lo. I mean other than dropping a few ounces what else is the benifits of swappin them out.:confused:

Hawk-eye
07-02-2010, 20:40
All I can tell you is from personal experience ... they stretch ... and that's not good for support straps. Also they rely on fixed loops to attach the hammock to. That limits the adjustment. Most times that's not too big a problem but other times it can be.

By far the worst is the fact they stretch ... you set the hammock and get in it stretches ... you adjust to accomodate it and later while you're in it ... it will stretch some more.

jons4real
07-03-2010, 10:29
So whats the best thing to replace them with?

Bubba
07-03-2010, 10:54
Polyester or polypropylene webbing is available at many of the manufacturers listed in the manufacturing forum. JacksRbetter, Arrowhead Equipment, Whoopieslings.com to name a few.

Wolverine
07-03-2010, 12:06
Hey,

Check out this Company, I recently purchased some nice straps from them.

http://www.strapworks.com/Default.asp

lizzie
07-03-2010, 12:47
I wish I'd discovered this forum earlier, I'd have gone the Whoopie Slings route, and still will upgrade at some point.

That said, I have used my Slap Straps at least ten times, and while they do stretch, I have yet to end up on the ground (and I weigh 240.) I wouldn't call them junk. The lack of adjustability is an annoyance.

Bubba
07-03-2010, 13:16
...The lack of adjustability is an annoyance.

This is the main reason I got rid of mine The spacing on the loops were too far apart for my liking. They eventually stop stretching but you have to readjust after initial set up. Whoopie slings are great and much lighter as well.

lizzie
07-03-2010, 13:47
Yup. and Whoopie Slings will save on space in the pack. The lighter, more compressible the better. Maybe I'll buy them this weekend :)

jons4real
07-03-2010, 13:51
Check out this Company, I recently purchased some nice straps from them.

http://www.strapworks.com/Default.asp

Hey, That sounds great I'll check them out. I'm looking into some carabiners. I was thinking about C.A.M.P. USA Nano 23 Wiregate. What do you think?? I honestly dont know anything about them.

Big Jim Mac
07-03-2010, 14:51
I wonder if they've changed the material on these? I just bought a set and they seem to work fine for me.

Hawk-eye
07-03-2010, 20:20
Check out Paul's thin and lightweight ... but strong straps at Arrowhead Equipment ... It's the only straps I use now.

Hangin' Burrito
07-04-2010, 10:42
Once you get some good straps,(polypro), you'll never look at the Slapstraps again. Unless your making a giant slingshot!!:eek::lol::lol::lol::lol:

oldgringo
07-04-2010, 10:52
Slapstraps aren't necessarily a bad idea, it's the execution that sucks. The same thing in polyester would be just fine for a lot of users.

I've said this before: for an outfit that gets hammocks so right, their failure to get anything else right is mysterious.

Bearpaw
07-04-2010, 11:54
I wish I'd discovered this forum earlier, I'd have gone the Whoopie Slings route, and still will upgrade at some point.

That said, I have used my Slap Straps at least ten times, and while they do stretch, I have yet to end up on the ground (and I weigh 240.) I wouldn't call them junk. The lack of adjustability is an annoyance.

I wonder if they've changed the material on these? I just bought a set and they seem to work fine for me.

Have you tried them in the rain? Once they get wet, the stretching accelerates to ridiculous levels.

Bubba
07-04-2010, 12:08
Have you tried them in the rain? Once they get wet, the stretching accelerates to ridiculous levels.

Maybe that's why the loops are so far apart so when they really stretch the next loop will be the original length.

Festus Hagen
07-04-2010, 13:02
According to the website they are still nylon.

Alphahawk
07-05-2010, 00:00
Am new to hammocks but the Slap Straps had to go. Way too stretchy..but I weigh in over 260. I don't know how they would be for someone at 140 or so. Took the Slap Straps back and bought 1 inch webbing from REI. Nice stuff but still nylon...still way too much stretch for me. Polyester is the way to go for me...no stretch..at least as I can tell so far.

Regards

lizzie
07-05-2010, 00:38
I have never used the slap straps in the rain, but I have used some old truck tie-down straps in the rain that I plan to re-purpose. They are 1" have a 1,250 pound rating, seem pretty light, and do not appear to stretch.

So I figure when I get around to getting some whoopie slings I'll give those a try.

TOB9595
07-05-2010, 01:30
I have never used the slap straps in the rain, but I have used some old truck tie-down straps in the rain that I plan to re-purpose. They are 1" have a 1,250 pound rating, seem pretty light, and do not appear to stretch.

So I figure when I get around to getting some whoopie slings I'll give those a try.

I purposely bought a set of these that are polyester...Took the hardware off and now have six foot tree hugger straps.

Tom

Running Feather
07-05-2010, 09:43
I put mine in the Hot Springs silent auction. Kind of a booby prize!

SwingingBagpiper
07-05-2010, 11:52
Check out Paul's thin and lightweight ... but strong straps at Arrowhead Equipment ... It's the only straps I use now.
Just replaced my ENO straps with whoopie slings and webbing. As a new hammock user, I found that the straps worked just fine. Yes, they did stretch a bit, and no, I never used them in any more than a drizzle. I have switched to whoopie slings I got from Arrowhead (great turn-around, by the way) to reduce weight.

Brian in so cal
07-07-2010, 21:45
Here comes the questions from the noob!! :) I want to replace my Slap straps and have went to the Arrowhead Equipment site. I don't quite understand exactly what I need. They have Whoopie sling, Webbing lines, ETC,

I want to get what I would need to replace the Slap straps for my eno double nest. I will be practicing with them before we go backpacking in August. Please suggest to me what I should be buying.

Maybe there is a link already on the forum explaining. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

beep
07-07-2010, 22:04
Here comes the questions from the noob!! :) I want to replace my Slap straps and have went to the Arrowhead Equipment site. I don't quite understand exactly what I need. They have Whoopie sling, Webbing lines, ETC,

I want to get what I would need to replace the Slap straps for my eno double nest. I will be practicing with them before we go backpacking in August. Please suggest to me what I should be buying.

Maybe there is a link already on the forum explaining. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance,
Brian

Brian,

You should ask Paul Gibson at Arrowhead Equipment. He's very responsive to PMs from this forum and will be happy to make recommendations for you.

lizzie
07-08-2010, 09:55
Brian ~Have you seen the three part series by forum member Grizzly Adams (AKA Grizz, AKA Professor Hammock?) It's great and in addition to answering some questions about how whoopies, there are other neat ideas.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1f2Xts3Spsc

Liz
PS - I am in So Cal too. Whittier.

Bubba
07-08-2010, 12:03

Thanks in advance,
Brian

As beep said contact Paul and he'll take care of you. In the meantime all you need to start out are Tree hugger webbings and whoopie slings. These are the 2 basic components. The tree huggers come with a loop so all you have to do it put the loop around the tree and put it through the loop. The whoopie sling can be girth hitched around the gathered end of your hammock or put through the channel. To connect the whoopie slings to the webbing, use a marlin spike hitch. That is a very basic set up.

Actually, an even more basic set up uses webbing and cinch buckles. Paul sell cinch buckle with a chain link. This would be secured to your hammock. The webbing goes around the tree and connect to the hammock through the cinch buckles. Very easy and straightforward set up and very easy to adjust.

Check out Shug's and Grizz's videos for a lot more info.

Brian in so cal
07-08-2010, 15:56
Everybody, Thanks for the great info and leads. I always thought what is the big deal if something ways 14ozs or 4ozs. But when you start figuring all the items that you need to pack those ounces and up.

Will keep you posted on what I get.

Again thanks,
Brian

Lizzie, I go down to Whittier quite often. My dad is at Rose Hills.

lizzie
07-08-2010, 23:06
Everybody, Thanks for the great info and leads. I always thought what is the big deal if something ways 14ozs or 4ozs. But when you start figuring all the items that you need to pack those ounces and up.

Will keep you posted on what I get.

Again thanks,
Brian

Lizzie, I go down to Whittier quite often. My dad is at Rose Hills.

At the end of Sept it will be a year that my dad passed. Like so many of us, I owe my love of the outdoors to my dad.

But I do wonder what he'd make of all this slap strap/whoopie slings talk. He'd probably just shake his head in amazement

Brian in so cal
07-12-2010, 14:40
At the end of Sept it will be a year that my dad passed. Like so many of us, I owe my love of the outdoors to my dad.

But I do wonder what he'd make of all this slap strap/whoopie slings talk. He'd probably just shake his head in amazement

Sorry to hear about your dad. Lost mine in 2001. Didn't do much camping, he worked for the goverment and was always traveling. But when he was home we had some great hikes together. The best one being from Idyllwild to the Palm Springs tram. Then took the tram down and my mom picked us up. I will never forget that one. That was over 35 years ago.

pgibson
07-12-2010, 14:47
Hey Brian, sorry I missed this thread the other day, been swamped :D If you still need help with your suspension shoot me a PM and I will get you me number and we can talk about what might work for you.

Paul

Brian in so cal
07-12-2010, 14:48
Beep, Lizzie, Odds,

Thanks for the info about the Youtube videos. Great to see how it is done.

Will be going with AHE straps and cinch buckles. Just need to find out if I need the chain link with them or not. Not sure which is better, putting the hammock carabiner onto the cinch strap or a chain link?

Hawk-eye
07-12-2010, 15:14
Beep, Lizzie, Odds,

Thanks for the info about the Youtube videos. Great to see how it is done.

Will be going with AHE straps and cinch buckles. Just need to find out if I need the chain link with them or not. Not sure which is better, putting the hammock carabiner onto the cinch strap or a chain link?

Chain link by far ...

Bubba
07-12-2010, 19:10
Yeah, chain link for sure.

gunner76
07-18-2010, 11:48
I have a Eno Double Nest for hanging out in the yard or to take when we visit family and hang out in their back yards but I did not like the lack of a way to hang the hammock. Since I own I Blackbird, why not change the suspension to something I know works and am comfortable using.

I purchased a set of Dutch Clips from Jacks Are Better and a set of UL Clinch Buckles and 1” Woodland Cammo straps (2 15 ft with a loop at one end) and a Bishop sack from Arrowhead Equipment.

I removed the metal snap links that came with the hammock and attached the UL Clinch buckles to the Eno with Amstell line ( I forget the size but I think it’s the 7/64” rated to 1,600 lbs

Total weight of everything is 1 lb 11.5 ounces

The stated weight for the hammock is 1lb 6oz , subtract the snap links that come with it that I am not using now and the weight is 1 lb 1.5 oz so I added 10 oz of weight with my additions.

So while I gained about 6 oz of weight I believe I now have Eno I can hang anywhere safely and quickly.

I found that out that my wife has been setting up the hammock and using it when I am at work. Could it be she is becoming “gasp” a hammock addict

Brian in so cal
07-18-2010, 13:34
Gunner, I like how you did that. I just ordered the cinch buckles from AHE and was going to clip the carabiner to the cinch buckle. I am going to set up like you did.

Thanks for the picture on how to do it.

Backcountry
07-18-2010, 13:44
thanks the youtube videos that were posted gave me some ideas for mine.

coolkayaker1
07-18-2010, 15:12
Today I hammocked with wife i ENO Single, total combined weight 295 lbs. The trees we used were at least 17 feet apart. Much further than I thought I could span, with Slap Straps on last "hole" on each side. Frankly, had to climb up in it, to some degree. Then, after an hour of sitting in it, we were 1 foot off the ground. I got up and moved one side up to the next loop hole--it stretched one foot in an hour! And it wasn't even raining out. Is this the famous Slap Strap stretch. It's not only annoying, but the fact is that a person has to retighten it to the point that the hammock is horizontal to the ground, effectively needing to climb about 6 feet up into it with difficulty, just to get it so it'll sag and still be off the ground. Is that what others have discovered?

Other than swapping them out to whoopies or something, are there any assistive ideas for the strap themselves? Seriously. A mod, or clipping a carabiner between two hook loops on it or something? That climbing in like a gymnast mounting a balance beam would get old at midnight.

lizzie
07-18-2010, 20:05
Today I hammocked with wife i ENO Single, total combined weight 295 lbs. The trees we used were at least 17 feet apart. Much further than I thought I could span, with Slap Straps on last "hole" on each side. Frankly, had to climb up in it, to some degree. Then, after an hour of sitting in it, we were 1 foot off the ground. I got up and moved one side up to the next loop hole--it stretched one foot in an hour! And it wasn't even raining out. Is this the famous Slap Strap stretch. It's not only annoying, but the fact is that a person has to retighten it to the point that the hammock is horizontal to the ground, effectively needing to climb about 6 feet up into it with difficulty, just to get it so it'll sag and still be off the ground. Is that what others have discovered?

Other than swapping them out to whoopies or something, are there any assistive ideas for the strap themselves? Seriously. A mod, or clipping a carabiner between two hook loops on it or something? That climbing in like a gymnast mounting a balance beam would get old at midnight.

Well they're supposed to have something of a break-in period. That is, some have reported that they stopped stretching after several uses. That was my experience, and I used the straps often.

(I did recently go the DIY whoopie sling route though, and am happy with the adjustability, and they weight half as much as the Slap Straps.)

skoalbandit30
07-18-2010, 22:08
slap straps" let me down" (quite literally), please, if you value your pride,(and rear) dont use em.( but hey, whata i know bounced my head on the ground, what were we talking about again?)

epim00
07-19-2010, 15:59
I'm in a doublenest with slaps as I write this. I'm 280 and the trees are 18+ feet apart. I fell for the SlapTrap too. They're junk insofar as their are many, many better options. Like new Metallica records, they would suffice if they were the only thing around. Luckily, someone invented Slayer and Meshuggah and Baroness.

One good aspect of their stretching is their spring. I'm in a public park just bouncing up-and-down and side-to-side. It's quite nice (after clearing a high jump to get into the thing).

But would I take these camping. In the words of Kofi Annan, "Hell No."

star
05-04-2011, 06:31

I found this out yesterday on my backyard test hang. Trying to test the rainfly and set up to ride out a rainshower. Ended up with my butt touching the ground and coming inside to order me some whoopies.

Debi Jaytee
05-04-2011, 06:49
I fell for the slapstraps too, with all the loops in them, they looked very adjustible to this noob. I hung my hammock on my balcony and promptly sunk. Re-adjusted and sunk again and again. What a pain! If these straps were made of polyester they would be awesome but...they're not. :(

Magus Shadow
05-05-2011, 17:54
I've had luck with breaking them in, as I have use them daily in home. I can see where that would be an issue for anyone else not in my situation, but the convenience they offer me far outweighs the inconvenience of that break in period. I've noticed that my sweet spot for slack is far lower than most peoples, and my hammock sags quite a bit. I'm looking for closer trees and put my straps up above head level to achieve this, and I feel that this specific setup is less prone to a major elevation change over time, even with the stretch of brand new straps. It also avoids this pea pod thing some people seem to claim they have with the doubles that I only experienced when I had my hammock strung up like a tight rope. Maybe I'll throw a picture up one day of how much sag I have in the room I hang the hammock, but that involves cleaning up what appears to be the path of a hurricane to make it photogenic (we all have a junk drawer.. I have a junk guest bedroom).

Carolina Razorback
09-21-2011, 09:19

I dont think so, my stretch like crazy.

huauqui
09-21-2011, 15:41
I have a couple sets of these that we use, they are newish (8 months). I am ordering straps, Dutch clips and rope to make whoopies and straps. Mine don't seem to stretch as much of some of you are mentioning but it is enough that I notice it.

Oh well they worked to get us into the hammocks.

weaver2469
09-21-2011, 15:43
Hey, That sounds great I'll check them out. I'm looking into some carabiners. I was thinking about C.A.M.P. USA Nano 23 Wiregate. What do you think?? I honestly dont know anything about them.

Great choice for a carabiner. I think they are the lightest climbing rated biner out there. They work well for hammocking.

bhinson
09-21-2011, 16:58
i am also new to Hammocking and use the ENO slap Straps and I don't mind the shag of them as of yet and set up is quick and easy

Carolina Razorback
09-27-2011, 21:10
I got rid of my straps...boy were they a let down...Amsteel Whoopies are the bomb. I started off at 25 inches above the ground and woke up 25 inches above the ground.

WOOOHOOO....no more butt saggin n draggin!!

Cjreynol
09-30-2011, 10:38
I have never had much of a problem with stretch in mine. Granted I'm only 140 so I doubt I put too much force down on them haha :laugh:

SpaceCadet
09-30-2011, 16:01
It depends on how long you're in the hammock too. A few hours, you might not notice. Sleep overnight and you'll wake up on the ground.

TheHangingTechy
10-03-2011, 21:10
It depends on how long you're in the hammock too. A few hours, you might not notice. Sleep overnight and you'll wake up on the ground.

tis be the nature of nylon and polyester I understand the industry calls this "creep"

Boomer
10-07-2011, 22:35
The biggest factor that I found was the amount of strap coming off the tree. That is to say, if you are hooking into the loop right at the tree, say 4", there isn't much of the strap to stretch.

However, if you are coming off the end of the last loop and have 4' coming off the tree, then you will have a lot of stretch.

I switched over to whoopies and now I only have the stretch from the hammock material. If you want a strap that won't stretch, get a poly strap. Arrowhead could make you straps with the loops sewn in, like the Slapstraps. Or, in theory (as they are not out yet), the Kammock Python straps would have a multiple attachment length points on a poly line. (Poly line is like seatbelt material - almost no stretch).

Cjreynol
10-20-2011, 12:33
I haven't had the major problems with the slapstraps, like rod said, if you don't leave 4' of strap hanging off the tree there isn't a lot to stretch. I might look into these python straps to see the difference though, I really like the "daisy chain" design.

muddog15
10-21-2011, 05:23
I havent had that much problems with the slap straps either. I hang my hammock any way I can, sometimes I have a couple of feet from the tree. I always set my straps as high as I can. I don't ever wind up on the ground. I don't really care if they do streach it doesn't bother me as long as I don't wind up on the ground. I don't understand what the big deal is.

Cjreynol
10-21-2011, 07:23
I havent had that much problems with the slap straps either. I hang my hammock any way I can, sometimes I have a couple of feet from the tree. I always set my straps as high as I can. I don't ever wind up on the ground. I don't really care if they do streach it doesn't bother me as long as I don't wind up on the ground. I don't understand what the big deal is.

Haha I agree, with a little planning the tiny amount of stretch I get never affects me. But it appears we are the minority :rolleyes:

Jsaults
10-21-2011, 07:56
I am one of the hangers who initially tried Slap Straps. And I suffered the frustration of having them stretch.

Just recently a buddy was parked in his Eno w/SS at Raystown Lake in PA reading a book. He had not been in the hammock all that long, but the system was sagging. When he got up, I noticed that the hammock washanging low to the ground, but within 15 minutes the nylon had contracted and it was hanging a good three feet off the ground. Unfortunate that Eno went down that road. Could have been a winner.

Jim

Matt65
10-29-2011, 19:26
I have a set and never use them. They are bulky with fixed adjustment points. Since I made my whoppies I have never looked back.

scottpash
10-30-2011, 11:59
I have used my slap straps twice without any slipping and 1 night was with rain
I will eventually go to whoopies for ease of adjustment and lighter weight, but they seem to be working OK

I am 6ft and 250lbs.

TehNoff
10-31-2011, 11:04
It's not about slipping, tree slaps rarely slip once weight is applied. It's about stretching.

adkphoto
11-04-2011, 07:44
I have the ENO slapstraps too, but they frustrate the heck out of me. They're a pain to adjust, and they stretch way too much. I weigh 170 and my butt is usually dragging on the ground after an hour or so. Maybe part of the problem is that I'm short and I don't like to set the hammock up high, but still....

I replaced the slap straps with two pieces of poly webbing and replaced the stock rope suspension on the ENO with whoopies. It's really easy. Takes all of about 5 minutes to do both. Untie the stock rope (two knots). Feed the fixed eye of the whoopie through twice. Pull the adjustable end through the fixed eye. Cinch it up, and you're ready to hang. There's a video on how to do it on whoopieslings.

Until I get some new hardware from Dutch, I connect the whoopie to my straps with a Camp wire gate biner.

There is no stretch and it's very fast to set up. It also saves weight and space compared to the stock setup with the slapstraps.

Bonus points: I get to say I got a whoopie on my biner!
(can I get a whooo buddy?)

Happy hanging!

David

Jerry
11-04-2011, 08:27
I bought 2 sets, the slap straps, and slap strap Pro....
Both sets stretch like crazy, done a winter hang last year, my butt was a good foot and a 1/2 off the ground.....a few hours later...i was on the ground....not good....I gave mine away as a gag gift.....
Mule here on the board makes a great set of straps, i have bought 2 sets from him....cant beat them...

Jerry the Hiker

Drifter D
11-05-2011, 11:08
Mine not only stretched out real bad the one of the loops ripped off sending two nieces to the ground. Not far down though but scared the you know what out of them. After that i upgraded my straps and have been happy hanging' ever since.

Boomer
12-14-2011, 22:40
The slap straps are convenient if there's not much distance (between the trees) involved.

When I didn't have anything else to use, I'd stick them up so that the hammock was at chest height. I'd then 'pre-stretch' them by laying across the hammock until it dropped, then repeat.

When I didn't do this, I'd lay in the hammock and if I didn't end up on the ground, I was so close as to make standing up a chore (that unbalanced feeling, when trying to stand up from a few inches off the ground).

My worst problem was when I didn't have enough reach for a camp out one night. I used a poly shipping strap on one end (which incidentally, worked great). On the other end I doubled the pro slap straps by putting one loop through the other. Worst mistake! They stretched and stretched. When I got up a few hours later, I had to move the straps up the tree. The next morning? I learned that the stretch that was in place all night had un-stretched. The loops were now bonded together like superglue! It took me like an hour & 1/2 to unwrench the two loops apart with a couple of screwdrivers.

I don't use mine any more.

bhinson
12-14-2011, 23:58
If you, like me, use the slap staps from ENO
And your hanging and you find your self on the ground
At some point,
Then, You didn't do something right
Cause at 5'9" and 240# I have yet to
Put that much stretch in this straps that I am on the ground even after
hours in the hammock
Just saying
Just saying.

jons4real
12-15-2011, 00:10
I can'tbelieve this topic is still going, lol I posted my question along time ago!

Boomer
12-16-2011, 23:50
Yea, I just noticed that it was an oldie brought back to life...

djminnesota
01-08-2012, 21:10
the straps are made from nylon... ull end up on the ground even if u start the night 3 feet off it

muddog15
01-09-2012, 07:36
If you, like me, use the slap staps from ENO
And your hanging and you find your self on the ground
At some point,
Then, You didn't do something right
Cause at 5'9" and 240# I have yet to
Put that much stretch in this straps that I am on the ground even after
hours in the hammock
Just saying
Just saying.

Me either, I'm about the same size you are. I'm going to continue using them.

lilricky
01-09-2012, 08:41
It all depends on the temperature, humidity, weight, and angle of the straps. Make sure your angle is at least 30 degrees in relation to the hammock, try and not use them above 75 degrees Fahrenheit, the temperature nylon starts to relax at.