PDA

View Full Version : Waht about an inner pad pocket

nogods
09-30-2007, 17:35
A lot of the discussions about pads seem to be concern with finding ways to keep the pads from moving out of place and having pads wide enough to protect the user from the cold sides of the hammock. Having a bottom and side outer pad sleeves might solve that problem.

How about inner sleeves? Has anyone ever tried sewing/gluing/stapling/whatever sleeves to the inside bottom of their hammock - say 20" in the middle and 10" on either side of the middle sleeve? Would it not work for some reason?

I’m getting a Clark, and given that it has outside pockets, I’m thinking of just having a professional (I’m giving up the idea of using a stapler) sew in some inside pad pockets.
What do think?

angrysparrow
09-30-2007, 17:40
It's a really bad idea to sew anything through the material on the bottom of the hammock body. That will create a potential point of failure. Proceed with caution.

Using something along the lines of an SPE (http://www.speerhammocks.com/Products/SPE.htm) seems like a better idea to me.

nogods
09-30-2007, 18:09
It's a really bad idea to sew anything through the material on the bottom of the hammock body. That will create a potential point of failure. Proceed with caution.

I guess that means stapling is also out of the question. The more I think about it and the more time I spend trying to find a solution, the more I realize that $45 for an SPE is really the less expensive solution.

hangnout
09-30-2007, 18:14
I’m getting a Clark, and given that it has outside pockets

Which Clark are you getting? Already ordered?

FanaticFringer
09-30-2007, 18:16
I guess that means stapling is also out of the question. The more I think about it and the more time I spend trying to find a solution, the more I realize that $45 for an SPE is really the less expensive solution.

Go with the SPE. It works really well.

nogods
09-30-2007, 18:47
Which Clark are you getting? Already ordered?

I ordered the north american with the xl fly - it was supposed to be here Friday but UPS messed up and didn't take it off it the truck - it ended up going to syracuse before they caught the mistake - I should have it by tomorrow.

hangnout
09-30-2007, 18:57
I had a Clark UL for several years. Great quality. SPE is the way to go for a Clark. I have slept into the teens with good pads and bag with my UL.

pure_mahem
09-30-2007, 18:57
You could try a variation of the pad Sgt. Rock just made for Dixie Critter. That pad looks like it would work really well I just might have to try one myself. The instructions for the pad start about 7 posts down on the page heres the link http://www.hammockforums.net/forum/showthread.php?t=1905&page=5

warbonnetguy
09-30-2007, 18:59
if you're not happy with the result, you've ruined a very expensive hammock.

i once tried sewing a pad packet to the outside of my hammock and was not happy with the results. this was an eno style by the way. also, stitches in the weight supporting area that recieve stress could fail the hammock. in order for a pad pocket to work, it would have to exret alot of force on the pad to hold it flush to the bottom of the hammock (just look at forces involved with a double layer hammock)double layers seem to work well by the way, only takes a few more ounces of material as opposed to a pocket and they work great.

A lot of the discussions about pads seem to be concern with finding ways to keep the pads from moving out of place and having pads wide enough to protect the user from the cold sides of the hammock. Having a bottom and side outer pad sleeves might solve that problem.

How about inner sleeves? Has anyone ever tried sewing/gluing/stapling/whatever sleeves to the inside bottom of their hammock - say 20" in the middle and 10" on either side of the middle sleeve? Would it not work for some reason?

I’m getting a Clark, and given that it has outside pockets, I’m thinking of just having a professional (I’m giving up the idea of using a stapler) sew in some inside pad pockets.
What do think?

nogods
09-30-2007, 21:57
if you're not happy with the result, you've ruined a very expensive hammock.

i once tried sewing a pad packet to the outside of my hammock and was not happy with the results. this was an eno style by the way. also, stitches in the weight supporting area that recieve stress could fail the hammock.

I guess that means cutting a hole in the bottom and top of my hammock for the exhaust pipe of my portable wood stove is out of the question.

Just Jeff
10-01-2007, 10:05
You can sew a few elastic straps to the inner sides of the hammock to hold wings, then just lay your pad down the middle. There are pics of it in the pads section here:
http://www.tothewoods.net/HammockCampingWarm.html