PDA

View Full Version : Ok folks....

opie
07-06-2010, 18:01
whoopieslings.com has reached the point I can no longer keep up with it and still provide the level of customer satisfaction I demand myself. I can not quit my day job.... And I cant continue on only getting 4-5 hours of sleep per nite.

I THINK I want to sell the business. Ive never sold a business, but for those that have serious interest in making a good chunk of side income, I may be able to help. I do have some stipulations....

That the same level of commitment and quality in the products continue on. I have spent many nights apart from my family working, testing, refining to see it dwindle into another failed venture.
That you are interested in devoting the time needed to make it happen. This is my issue now, I dont have the time. I wish I did.
Preferably that there can be a meeting between myself and the perspecitve buyer to go over techniques and a session of how to make everything available from whoopieslings.com

I will provide to only those seriously interested in taking over...

daily, weekely and monthly sales reports starting from when I opened the online store at the begining of May. All other income reports will come from Paypal and wont be as detailed.
A rough list of my current inventory and an estimate of its vaule. I say an estimate because I dont know whats left on the spools of rope I have
A list of all my vendors along with any specific contacts. I have had to source some of my items from many different places based on availability and price.
Website traffic
The domain whoopislings.com expires 11/11, Ill have to double check. I think the store is good until 2013. This is through GoDaddy and its simple to renew everything or pull up and move elsewhere

The business is strong, sales are strong, the customers are awesome. But its taking away to much of my family time, and its starting to impact my kids.

So... If youre interested... Better yet, currently unemployed.... This is your chance to make, based on current sales, about 36k in sales per year.

Please direct all serious interest to either PM, or my email, [email protected]

cooldays
07-06-2010, 18:13
That's a shame opie, you have built something quite nice. If I were you I would just raise my prices to make demand go down. :) Then you will get more sleep.

opie
07-06-2010, 18:17
Cool, Ive thought about that. But I dont want to be that kind of business man. This is a very niche market and its one I personally would like anyone to be able to enjoy. Not just the ones that can afford it.

If a sale doesnt pan out, Ive got good things planned for the company. Ones that will benefit all future and past customers.

Just Jeff
07-06-2010, 18:19
Ive got good things planned for the company...that will benefit all...past customers.

WOOHOO!! Can't wait!

Good luck with the business, whatever the future holds.

Bubba
07-06-2010, 18:36
Sorry to hear it is impacting your family life. You are great to your customers. I feel bad that I have in the past been adding to your stress:(. Whatever happens I wish you luck!

opie
07-06-2010, 18:39
Its not stress... I just dont want it to get to the point where there is stress. Then its not worth doing.

All of my past customers have been a pleasure to deal with.

And nothing is set in stone... My wife isnt onboard with selling the business.....

Bush
07-06-2010, 18:40
Wow Opie, I just went to place a new order and and couldn't do it so went to the forums. That's a tough decision to make my friend but I admire your values and commitment to quality service. I wish I was in a position to purchase your company and continue providing your products to those in the hammocking community. I feel the same way, quality and service at a fair price over quantity and money. Thank you for your your efforts and dedication to all who share your passion. Thanks for sharing your knowledge and techniques at the Michigan Hang. I hope the next owner will continue the company in the manner you envisioned. Bushmedic

Bubba
07-06-2010, 18:46
Its not stress... I just dont want it to get to the point where there is stress. Then its not worth doing.

All of my past customers have been a pleasure to deal with.

And nothing is set in stone... My wife isnt onboard with selling the business.....

Then I feel bad about contributing to you lack of sleep :)

beep
07-06-2010, 18:48
Opie,

I trust you to make the best decision you can about this. Getting to the point of knowing you need to make a change is not easy, but following through on that decision will be the right thing for you and your family.

I respect what you've accomplished with your business, and I am in awe of the diligence, thoroughness and commitment to customer service that you've demonstrated time and again!

Thanks for sharing your thought process with us and for exploring ways to keep the business active and on-going.:)

RePete
07-06-2010, 18:49
Opie maybe all you need is an apprentice who could make some of the products for you. Soft Shackles for example. You could train someone to make them for you. You could inspect their work and pay them a piece rate fee. Just a thought. Could be a way to free up some of your time. Continuous loop would be another item well suited to farm out to someone else.

Craig2112
07-06-2010, 19:07
Opie, I recently purchased some self-tensioning guy lines from you and I have to say the craft was impeccable. I'd be a shame to see it go.

Have you thought about a shorter selling season (July – October)? That way you could build up inventory at your leisure without any commitments. Just a thought.

And I was just about to place an order for your Single Line Tarp Ridge Line, too. :(

Best of luck....whatever you decide.

opie
07-06-2010, 19:25
Wow, thanks for all the well wishes.

My wife and I will talk more in depth this evening, I kind of sprung it on her. She doesnt really have any production input on the company, but she is a good cheer leader!

If I could swing supporting my family on the whoopieslings.com income, I would in a heartbeat. Id love to be a "stay at home dad." But we need the health insurance and I cant swing it on the income from the business.

For those wanting to place an order... Whatever I decide or transpires between now and, whenever.... Ill re-open the store once I get caught up on orders and get some book keeping done. I also want to re-work my price structure. I know I can get about all my prices lower by at least 5-10%. Thats the real reason I closed the store....

HikerRanky
07-06-2010, 19:39
Opie,

I was just about to place an order for the All in One system from you and noticed this as well. It sounds like the problem is an overly successful product line.

As someone that is working full time AND is taking a full load in college as well, I can certainly relate to the things you are saying. Children growing up and dad missing out on those special moments that only happen once in a lifetime is extremely gut wrenching.

Let me share a bit of information about myself here. I absolutely love key lime pie. On a trip to Key West, I met a man that gave me his recipe for key lime pie after I tasted it. The piece of pie was heavenly. Anyway, I began making the pie for some friends and coworkers on special occasions. Long story short, people began asking me all the time to make them a pie... I would order crates of key limes from Florida and make pies. The most I ever made in one day was 14 pies. Now that doesn't sound like much, but realize that I put the juice from 30 key limes in each pie. And this was all done by hand. Pretty soon I decided that I needed to stop making pies in order to rest, spend time with my family and such. I didn't make pies for a long time. It was a good side business but the demands were just too much.

But then I decided to try a different tack. I decided that I could only make so many pies at a time if I wanted to do other things like go to school, work, see my family, vacation, et al... You get the picture. Now, I tell people that I can only make so many pies at a time, and I tell them whether or not I have limes in stock to make them a pie. I also ask them when do they need it by, and if I can't get it to them by then because of other commitments, then they know it. Guess what happened. 95% of my customers understood my problem and they are willing to wait on their key lime pies from me. In Japan this is called kanban management.

I can speak for myself and say that I would prefer the quality products that you have offered in the past, no matter what the time delay would be to get them out the door. If I have to wait for sometime to get your product, then so be it.

Good luck in whatever you decide to do...

Randy

jbryan
07-06-2010, 19:45
So Randy what you are saying is that when we have a TN hangout that you will be bringing the keylime pie.

Opie, while I have not purchased anything from your store I have used your tutorials to make every bit of my suspension. I do thank you for that!!
Best wishes
Jason

opie
07-06-2010, 20:04
Ranky.... That makes lot of sense.

Making something like that work with an online store could present a challenge as Im at the mercy of the customer and when they place an order. I would like to maintain some order of consistency and not have to close the store when I feel like my plate is full. I suppose I could turn on the iventory option and allow myself say only 10 of each product per week.... That doesnt seem fair to the customer though....

Perhaps Im not totally seperating my want to get orders out as soon as they come in with the mindset of the customer thats willing to wait for a handcrafted product...

EDIT: My wife would love a key lime pie... Willing to work a trade?!

opie
07-06-2010, 20:05
So Randy what you are saying is that when we have a TN hangout that you will be bringing the keylime pie.

Opie, while I have not purchased anything from your store I have used your tutorials to make every bit of my suspension. I do thank you for that!!
Best wishes
Jason

THAT is what Im talking about!! Glad you are able to DIY!!!

HikerRanky
07-06-2010, 20:07

Of course!

WonderMonkey
07-06-2010, 20:23
whoopieslings.com has reached the point I can no longer keep up with it and still provide the level of customer satisfaction I demand myself. I can not quit my day job.... And I cant continue on only getting 4-5 hours of sleep per nite.

I THINK I want to sell the business. Ive never sold a business, but for those that have serious interest in making a good chunk of side income, I may be able to help. I do have some stipulations....

That the same level of commitment and quality in the products continue on. I have spent many nights apart from my family working, testing, refining to see it dwindle into another failed venture.
That you are interested in devoting the time needed to make it happen. This is my issue now, I dont have the time. I wish I did.
Preferably that there can be a meeting between myself and the perspecitve buyer to go over techniques and a session of how to make everything available from whoopieslings.com

I will provide to only those seriously interested in taking over...

daily, weekely and monthly sales reports starting from when I opened the online store at the begining of May. All other income reports will come from Paypal and wont be as detailed.
A rough list of my current inventory and an estimate of its vaule. I say an estimate because I dont know whats left on the spools of rope I have
A list of all my vendors along with any specific contacts. I have had to source some of my items from many different places based on availability and price.
Website traffic
The domain whoopislings.com expires 11/11, Ill have to double check. I think the store is good until 2013. This is through GoDaddy and its simple to renew everything or pull up and move elsewhere

The business is strong, sales are strong, the customers are awesome. But its taking away to much of my family time, and its starting to impact my kids.

So... If youre interested... Better yet, currently unemployed.... This is your chance to make, based on current sales, about 36k in sales per year.

Please direct all serious interest to either PM, or my email, [email protected]

You don't know me at all but if you need some advice let me know. I've owned and sold businesses but that I've started from the ground up and ones that I have bought, expanded and then sold.

I currently do outdoor oriented sales and though I do selectively expand I haven't been in the market for "your" kind of expansion. However I'll take a peek at your site and see if I can help you out any way I can.

WonderMonkey
07-06-2010, 20:25
Additionally have you considered not selling your business but off-loading much of the work? You will get less profits but you can still control the quality and even do a better job at "order to ship" timelines. It's worth looking at if you have not already.

WonderMonkey
07-06-2010, 20:30
Opie maybe all you need is an apprentice who could make some of the products for you. Soft Shackles for example. You could train someone to make them for you. You could inspect their work and pay them a piece rate fee. Just a thought. Could be a way to free up some of your time. Continuous loop would be another item well suited to farm out to someone else.

Exactly. A neighborhood kid maybe. Or is there an Eagle Scout or a Boy Scout (or Girl Scouts) that would want to earn some cash?

WonderMonkey
07-06-2010, 20:34
After reading the responses I would say that I would try the inventory option to start. I'd also go down the trail of taking on an apprentice or a by the piece labor.

BLUEFIN 774
07-06-2010, 20:42
Opie,

I hope it all gets worked out for you to make it worthwhile for you and your family. It is hard to balance a business, work and family. It seems that the smaller specialty stores online for hiking, camping and hammock supplies are all becoming bigger every year. People crave the service of these stores and the quality of workmanship in the products. We usually can't get this at bigger brick and mortar stores. I know that Tinny at Minibulldesign has been having the same issue with too much demand on the products. He now sells what is on hand and then makes more product and as it is ready he will post it in the online store. The true customers who really want the product will wait for it to be ready. It is a little inconvienient but anything good is worth waiting for.

Glad I got my WhoOpies ordered.
Hope all goes well for you whatever you decide to do.

opie
07-06-2010, 20:42
I dont want employees. Way to much work and headache for me to get involved in the logistics of hiring and paying someone. $36k in sales doesnt leave alot of room for payroll or the additional taxes involved that I would be responsible for.

Good ideas nontheless....

opie
07-06-2010, 20:44
Opie,

I hope it all gets worked out for you to make it worthwhile for you and your family. It is hard to balance a business, work and family. It seems that the smaller specialty stores online for hiking, camping and hammock supplies are all becoming bigger every year. People crave the service of these stores and the quality of workmanship in the products. We usually can't get this at bigger brick and mortar stores. I know that Tinny at Minibulldesign has been having the same issue with too much demand on the products. He now sells what is on hand and then makes more product and as it is ready he will post it in the online store. The true customers who really want the product will wait for it to be ready. It is a little inconvienient but anything good is worth waiting for.

Glad I got my WhoOpies ordered.
Hope all goes well for you whatever you decide to do.

Thanks Bluefin...

Ill also add, this wont effect current orders. They will still go out within the time I stated when the order was placed.

lazy river road
07-06-2010, 20:55
Opie thanks for all the great products and services you have offered. I hope you continue to make new and exciting products and post how they are made so I can continue to DIY. Enjoy the faimly time every moment is a precious moment.

opie
07-06-2010, 21:42
Thanks lazy....

BrianWillan
07-06-2010, 21:46
Cool, Ive thought about that. But I dont want to be that kind of business man. This is a very niche market and its one I personally would like anyone to be able to enjoy. Not just the ones that can afford it.

If a sale doesnt pan out, Ive got good things planned for the company. Ones that will benefit all future and past customers.

Have you considered hiring out some of the production work? I am sure there are some students in your area that would be willing to pick up some extra income.

Cheers

Brian

WonderMonkey
07-06-2010, 21:49
I dont want employees. Way to much work and headache for me to get involved in the logistics of hiring and paying someone. $36k in sales doesnt leave alot of room for payroll or the additional taxes involved that I would be responsible for.

Good ideas nontheless....

Not an employee but a "by the piece" helper. Think of it this way....

You get an order for 20 items. To making them all would kill you. However making 10 of them would work for you. You make very little on the 10 that someone else made FOR you but full profit on the 10 YOU made. What just happened is that you made some honest money on the 10 someone made for you and you were able to keep up with the demand. Maybe one week you can do all 20, and other weeks you can't. Either way you have exerted some control over your situation.

That is a simplistic situation that I described but the theory is sound. You have to decide if there is enough profit on an item for you to do nothing more than check quality and ship the order. Sort of.

opie
07-06-2010, 21:58
Not an employee but a "by the piece" helper. Think of it this way....

You get an order for 20 items. To making them all would kill you. However making 10 of them would work for you. You make very little on the 10 that someone else made FOR you but full profit on the 10 YOU made. What just happened is that you made some honest money on the 10 someone made for you and you were able to keep up with the demand. Maybe one week you can do all 20, and other weeks you can't. Either way you have exerted some control over your situation.

That is a simplistic situation that I described but the theory is sound. You have to decide if there is enough profit on an item for you to do nothing more than check quality and ship the order. Sort of.

So if Im getting you right.. Youre suggesting subbing the work out rather than have an employee?

opie
07-06-2010, 21:58
Have you considered hiring out some of the production work? I am sure there are some students in your area that would be willing to pick up some extra income.

Cheers

Brian

Im not sure if im that busy..... I think this is what Monkey is also suggesting.

peanuts
07-06-2010, 22:02
oh wow i did not see this coming:(:(:(....... i have no problem waiting for a good quality product. i love your whoopies and i was looking forward to the TL,and another set of whoopies for my new hammock after my finances changed.

opie, in what ever you decide, thank you!!!

WonderMonkey
07-06-2010, 22:14
So if Im getting you right.. Youre suggesting subbing the work out rather than have an employee?

Exactly. Piece work. Sub-contract, etc. That means you don't have to pay an employee when you don't have orders. Many people are fine with this type of work because they can take the raw materials home and then bring the finished product back to you. Say 50 of your Slings at a time. If you sell them for $1 (making it up), raw materials cost $.25, labor costs $.35 and you make $.40. I know those numbers are off but sub in your own.

So after you have an inventory of 50 you try to keep up with the demand on your own but dip into your 50 safety-inventory to gain some of your life back.

Do all the products you can that way and see what happens. If it doesn't work sell your business or come up with another way.

I personally only make three products for my little sales world. The rest I am a vendor for other commercial products.

Bush
07-06-2010, 23:02
Take a hint from Warbonnet and realize that what you do is custom and being a cottage industry, product is subject to your spare time. I have no problem waiting for your products and nobody is going to miss a hang by waiting for whoopie slings. Everyone has a susprnsion system even if it's not the one they really want. I appreciate your fast service in the past but if you have to slow things down to meet the needs of your family, sleep etc. then so be it. I say, close things down as needed, we will all be there when you open back up. Bush

JohnSawyer
07-06-2010, 23:15
Having been in your situation, I totally understand... Sounds like Whoopieslings would be a good addition to AHE!

Best of luck!

John

Peter_pan
07-07-2010, 03:40
Exactly. Piece work. Sub-contract, etc. That means you don't have to pay an employee when you don't have orders. Many people are fine with this type of work because they can take the raw materials home and then bring the finished product back to you. Say 50 of your Slings at a time. If you sell them for $1 (making it up), raw materials cost $.25, labor costs $.35 and you make $.40. I know those numbers are off but sub in your own.

So after you have an inventory of 50 you try to keep up with the demand on your own but dip into your 50 safety-inventory to gain some of your life back.

Do all the products you can that way and see what happens. If it doesn't work sell your business or come up with another way.

I personally only make three products for my little sales world. The rest I am a vendor for other commercial products.

Opie, ALCON,

You'll need to review the IRS regulations in this area...The rules on independant contractors are quite specific and most cases being described in this thread do not qualify...Further, it is a target item for IRS reviews because it is ripe for penalties and back payments...

Safe bet if you want to be in business is to be a business...or stay self employed.

Pan

opie
07-07-2010, 03:59
Opie, ALCON,

You'll need to review the IRS regulations in this area...The rules on independant contractors are quite specific and most cases being described in this thread do not qualify...Further, it is a target item for IRS reviews because it is ripe for penalties and back payments...

Safe bet if you want to be in business is to be a business...or stay self employed.

Pan

Pan.... Im somewhat familiar with the regulations and I forsee the same issues you are alluding to. Not to say Im an expert... but the lines between subcontractor and employee arent as defined as they should be.

And hiring a subcontractor doesnt absolve the employer of the subcontractor of all responsibility.... Lines are very fine.

WonderMonkey
07-07-2010, 07:37
I'm using some terms loosely but it is still very doable while staying within the guidelines. I didn't feel the need to get to the details just yet but I do think it is wise to raise those questions NOW for the sake of discussion and thought.

Have you considered forced child labor?

Just kidding.

OR AM I?

Niloc
07-07-2010, 08:25
Opie,

I just want to say good luck with what ever happens. I have ordered some of your stuff and I have to admit I was quite amazed by the quality of your work. I knew when I ordered stuff I was going to be getting a great product, but I think the thing that really shocked me was that instead of just burning/melting the ends of the rope so that they wouldn't fray you actually spent more time threading the end into it's self.

Ewker
07-07-2010, 08:25
never bought anything from you but good luck with what ever you decide to do

KerMegan
07-07-2010, 08:40
are your kids old enough to learn, help out and earn a bonus to their allowance?
(yes, check the IRS regs, But..) I'm minded to think there is a lot of leeway for parents/siblings training/paying family members in a small business scenario.
Might help to check with a CPA or some other labor regulations informed person.
KM (who is alas, none of the above..)

opie
07-07-2010, 10:37
are your kids old enough to learn, help out and earn a bonus to their allowance?
(yes, check the IRS regs, But..) I'm minded to think there is a lot of leeway for parents/siblings training/paying family members in a small business scenario.
Might help to check with a CPA or some other labor regulations informed person.
KM (who is alas, none of the above..)

Family members are exempt from child labor laws and are also exempt from being considered employees, from what I understand.

However, and I feel the same way about my wife.......

My kids job is to be kids, not come work for me just like my wifes job is to take care if the house and keep the kids under control. So that's currently out of the question.

Some serious interest has presented itself as has some good advice which I plan to weigh accordingly.

Thank you to everyone for your support.

Shug
07-07-2010, 10:47
opie ..... do what YOU need to do.
I did the same with a BBQ biz years ago and the time got outta control.
Everyone wanted it but I was still performing my show and was trying to please everyone all the time. I burned out.......
Made me realize that in order to do a business right one needs to give it 100% of ones time, interest and business savvy. I loved the BBQ but was not ready to give it 100% so I made very little profit at the expense of doing some dang fine BBQ .....
Learned a lot and it was fun and I now know that it would be a biz I will return to when the time is right.
Then I concentrated on my show and I was free and happy. Folks still call me about BBQ .... I do about 10% of the requests ... on my time.
Shug

trouthunter
07-07-2010, 11:24
Hey guys,

I was just reading along out of curiosity. I have watched several videos containing Whoopie Slings, and I am also a self employed woodworker / carpenter. So the discussion of contracting out the labor or hiring an employee caught my attention.

Many small businesses like mine grow through a mix of employees and contract labor.
75% of the work I do is contract labor for someone else. I in turn have to find labor to get the work done, whether I use employees or contract labor is a judgement call.

Regardless of how I or anyone else gets the labor done, the quality of the work is dependent on one thing: How much skill and pride of craftsmanship the person doing the work has. It doesn't matter if you hire an employee or contract the work out, this will prove to be true. The difference between the two is that with contract labor you only pay for work that meets your quality standards. If you are supplying materials you will have a loss on any products that are rejected, with independent contractors you can let them purchase the materials from you, or your source. This is not true with employees.

As far as the laws are concerned, independent contractors should at least have their own liability insurance, and possibly workers compensation insurance depending on the laws of the state work is performed in.

You should have no problems abiding by the law if the contractor provides ALL their own tool, ALL their own work space, and the contractor is free to set and work ALL their own hours. The billing should state the contract price per piece and NEVER mention time or work hours in any way, shape, or form!!! You are only allowed to direct the work, stipulate the level of quality, and set time lines for completion or quotas. Everything agreed upon should ideally be in writing, lots of work is done by verbal agreement in my line of work but if you have problems you really need it in writing for third party resolution.

The contractor is required to submit a from W-9 to the parent company (Whoopie Slings) paying for the labor. Certificates for any insurance required must also be submitted. The parent company writes the contractor a check for units completed at the agreed upon intervals with nothing withheld (taxes etc.) then files a 1099 at the end of the year to the IRS and State declaring what was paid to the contractor throughout the past year. It is the contractors duty to pay his own taxes.

And then again you can also do the whole thing underground, cash money, you pay the taxes owed on income. Which is how it's been done for a long time in construction, and how almost all illegal workers get paid these days.

Sorry for taking up so much bandwidth! Hope that helps & verify anything I've said, I'm just a business owner, not a business attorney.

opie
07-07-2010, 12:13
Shug, sincerely, thank you for sharing.

Trout, thank you for the info.

There is a possible sale pending. I need to talk
with my wife prior to any concrete decision.

Thanks again to everyone. Regardless of what transpires, it's been my pleasure serving all my customers.

Strapped-4-Cache
07-07-2010, 12:33
Hi Opie,

You sound like you’ve reached a place in your home/business life that is similar to one reached by Tony Miller a few years ago. Tony runs the Heirloom Razor Strop Company and makes all of his products by hand. Each is a piece of art and takes a good bit of time to make. Even with outsourcing some of the piecework to some Amish locals he discovered that the demand for his products far outpaced what he could supply.

He eventually started making limited runs of his items for sale each month. When the supply ran out, it was gone until more was made. Yeah, for a shaving-gear junkie like me it was difficult to wait to purchase something I wanted, but everyone in the community supported his decision to put his family before his side business. It made it that much more special when you could actually get one of his products in hand.

It might be a good idea to contact him and discuss your situation. He may be able to provide some valuable insight. If nothing else he’s a great person to deal with. You can find out more about him through is website at thewellshavedgentleman.com.

Whatever you decide to do, I support your decision. I REALLY like your products and your pricing is great, but it isn't worth sacrificing your family life.

Just my $0.02.

- Mark (S-4-C)

Dutch
07-07-2010, 12:36
Opie good luck with whatever you decide. Things become different when your hobby becomes a job.

millarky
07-07-2010, 12:38
Opie,
Your product and service are beyond any praise I can dish up. If you decide to sell, good luck to you. If you decide to downsize, I will gladly wait weeks for any order I put in just like I'm still waiting for a BDWD tarp. Good things are worth waiting for.

Perkolady
07-07-2010, 13:57
Opie, you've done a lot for this hammock community. You've provided a great deal of information and help etc. leading to hours of tinkering fun for many a diyer! You've also provided a great service for those who want tinkering fun without doing it themselves.

I have a lot of respect for you for putting first things first.

All the very best to you, whatever the outcome of this ends up being.

Gailainne
07-07-2010, 15:01
Opie, you've done a lot for this hammock community. You've provided a great deal of information and help etc. leading to hours of tinkering fun for many a diyer! You've also provided a great service for those who want tinkering fun without doing it themselves.

I have a lot of respect for you for putting first things first.

All the very best to you, whatever the outcome of this ends up being.

Couldn't have said it better, nicely done :D

Opie the bridge suspension you made for me is awesome, once I get the hammock midge netting sorted I'll post some pics, if it wasn't for the bright colours you would think I was lying on a flying carpet :boggle:

Regards

Stephen

opie
07-07-2010, 16:58
Thanks again for the support...

Im hoping, if the sale goes through, that Ill be able to still produce and test new products and hand them over to the new owner. I have a couple ideas for TRL extensions based on an inquiry a couple days ago that require no clips, hitches or biners. Same with some suspension extensions.

Pitch
07-07-2010, 17:21

I'm not sure if you're a 1 man operation or not but there are plenty of unemployed who wouldn't mind building for you I'm sure... have you considered that route?

opie
07-07-2010, 18:03
I'm not sure if you're a 1 man operation or not but there are plenty of unemployed who wouldn't mind building for you I'm sure... have you considered that route?

Yes, 1 man operation.

Having someone else do the work is pretty much akin to having an employee. Unless that person wants to start their own company...

I dont want to expand to the point I have employees. Im trying to simplify....

TOB9595
07-07-2010, 19:03
Best wishes to you on whatever path is chosen.
You're a quality guy
Tom

ncffp163
07-08-2010, 00:54
Opie,

Just my luck...I go to your website to order some Whoopies and I saw the message :( . I got the fids you sent me and thanks very much for them. I was planning to get a set of Whoopies from you and them try my hand at making some myself. But I respect you for putting the important things first. You have been and still very helpful to the members here in HF. I wish I had known about this earlier as I'm retired and I would like to do something like this. If your offer doesn't pan out, please let contact me. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Eric

opie
07-08-2010, 03:29
Thanks Tom and Eric.

HappyCamper
07-08-2010, 05:03
Opie,

But I respect you for putting the important things first. You have been and still very helpful to the members here in HF. Good luck with your future endeavors.

Eric

This says it for me too. All the best to you and yours.

oldgringo
07-08-2010, 07:25
All is not lost...we will still have that wonderful, fertile, restless brain amongst us. That's not for sale.:)

russellds
07-08-2010, 10:03
Opie, thanks for all of your tutorials! They are absolutely priceless and I have used several of them to make my own gear!

Best of luck with you decision!

Thase
07-08-2010, 10:19
Opie,I hate to hear you that the business is cutting in on your family time. I have 2 young daughters and completely understand what it is like to have your job cut into time with your family. I wish you the best luck in finding a solution to the problem.

opie
07-08-2010, 10:44
I will be re-opening the store next week. Regardless of what happens the store will remain open if possible through any transition period.

Thanks again for all the kind words and support. I truly so enjoy running
whoopieslings.com. Coming up with new ideas and being able
to also show others how to make things. That's what it's all about.

So far through this I've had some time to reflect...... So stay tuned.

opie
07-08-2010, 19:43
OK folks.... whoopieslings.com has a new owner. They will be heading up the weekend of the 17th to pick up materials and spend the day going over products.

I think the transition will be smooth and I have agreed to stay on as long as needed to help with the transition.

Thank you again to EVERYONE that has shown support wether voiced or not. Its been a great ride and now I can sit back and string up my hammock without looking at it thinking "how can I make it better." I do intend to still come up with good ideas and brainstorm.... though.:lol: