PDA

View Full Version : OT, sorta; sleeping pad selection

clb
07-12-2010, 08:17
OK, what sleeping pad do you use when you absolutely have to go to ground.
A few years back I replaced my reg. Thermarest with a Thermarest Luxury Camp 2.5 " thick. Getting older does that :)The last time I had to go to ground I was miserable on it. I hate to give up certain wilderness venues, mostly remote beach camping, gravel bars on rivers. Any one have suggestions? It doesn't need to be ultralight, as most of these trips will be canoe trips.
Thanks,
Leigh

KerMegan
07-12-2010, 08:21
inflatable air mattress, (pool type) with thin cc foam between me and it. nominal under-inflation gives comfort, and loft provides insulation in addition to foam (which keeps heat in me and not in the air mattress). recommend a ground sheet also as they are very sensitive to pokey things on the ground. KM

UncleMJM
07-12-2010, 08:37
Exped 9 DLX Down Air Mattress - makes for the most comfortable night possible without being in the air itself.

TinaLouise
07-12-2010, 08:53
If I've got to backpack it, an Exped 7 short and I use my backpack under my feet.
If not, an Exped 9

The Exped down mats are the most comfortable one's I've ever found. Expensive and heavy too. The 7 short isn't too bad if you have to carry it backpacking.

tjm
07-12-2010, 09:54
I have been very happy with my Big Agnes insulated aircore pad. Very good ratio of weight to insulating capacity. Packs small.

I would also get a good night's sleep when I used it.

oldgringo
07-12-2010, 12:36
I can't sleep in a bed, so the pad I sleep on when on the ground isn't going to be the issue.

When not in a hammock, I sleep in a recliner, so my comfort on the ground is all about how successful I am at replicating the knees bent, torso elevated positioning of the recliner. Using whatever was at hand, I've been reasonably successful.