PDA

View Full Version : air pad versus CCF

nogods
10-02-2007, 09:28
I spent my first night in my new Clark NA last night. It seemed very cramped. I first tried it with a regular Wal-Mart blue CFC. Then I tried the Wal-Mart 24” CFC. Then my homemade spe. They all bunched up and seemed to make sleeping less comfortable than without the pads.

About 3 in the morning I remembered that years ago I had purchased two air pads for my kids when they had slumber parties. I dug them out, both still in good shape and both 26” wide. I unrolled one, and gave it some help blowing up as I was in a hurry, then placed it in the bottom of the Clark. It spread the hammock out and held that shape much better than any of the other pads. With me in the hammock it looked as big as a one-person tent. . It didn’t bunch up when I got in the hammock or rolled on my side. When on my back, it was wide enough to extend the width of my shoulders.

Is this type of pad going to have the same insulting value as a CFC? It sure was a lot more comfortable.

Rapt
10-02-2007, 11:15
Is this type of pad going to have the same insulting value as a CFC? It sure was a lot more comfortable.

I dunno... I'd say it depends on how thick it is when you're using it.

Sorry not sure how insulting a pad can be....:D

stoikurt
10-02-2007, 11:45
In this article (http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/2006/Jan2006.htm), Ed Speer talks about keeping warm in a hammock and compares the R Value of several pads. It might help you get an idea of what your pad is worth as far as R Value.

slowhike
10-02-2007, 19:00
i'm not sure what kind of pad you're talking about or if it has any insulation inside or just air.
if it's just air, it wont insulate much at all. it will become as cold as the surrounding air.
if you like that extra comfort & have a few bucks to spare, you may want to try one of the down air mats (DAM) like exped or warmlight.

greggg3
12-16-2007, 08:25
it sounds like its sometype of self inflating thermarest with open cell foam inside (based on the "giving it help" inflating comment). If so then I think that generally you can count the thickness as the R value (see # 4 in the link below, Dave aka Youngblood designed the snugfit underquilt so he probably knows what he's talking about)
http://www.hammockcamping.com/Newsletters/2005/Jan2005.htm

redbeard
12-16-2007, 11:50
I have the Outdoor Research Exped Downmat 9 for sale . Let me know if you're interested.

Bug-Bait
12-16-2007, 16:59
I have the Outdoor Research Exped Downmat 9 for sale . Let me know if you're interested.

Do you know does the 9 differ from the 7?

Just Jeff
12-16-2007, 20:10
9 is thicker and heavier than the 7. Should make it warmer, bulkier, and longer to inflate. Expeds aren't self-inflatables...they have the pump sacks.

Youngblood
12-16-2007, 21:26
Do you know does the 9 differ from the 7?

9 cm versus 7 cm (or 3.5 inches versus 2.8 inches) of thickness when inflated. The weights and temperature ratings vary as well with the 9 being heavier and a better insulator.

kohburn
12-21-2007, 13:07
i use a 3/4 length campmore version of the thermarest. believe its 1" thick. and it works really well for me in the hammock. coldest i've slept was 40* but i was very warm and comfortable.