PDA

View Full Version : Nobody uses net hammocks?

JackOfAllTrades
07-13-2010, 13:43
I'm researching hammocks to get for my boys to hike with me. For some 15 years I've had a 1" net hammock that rolls up to less than 10oz and stuffs in the bottom of my stuff bag. Now I can't find one that's near the same. I see the two and three inch mesh ones on Evilbay, but I want a finer netting. Much of what I read about on the net is that so many of you are using silcloth or ripstop nylon variations. I personally don't like them as I just slip around. I'm not looking for storage pockets and such, just a light weight net hammock to slip a 'sleeping bag inside a bivy bag' into. No pad. No rain cover/tarp.

Anyone know of a brand/outlet where I can get netting so I can cut my own, or of a finished product I can buy?

-Steve

RootCause
07-13-2010, 14:30
I'm researching hammocks to get for my boys to hike with me. For some 15 years I've had a 1" net hammock that rolls up to less than 10oz and stuffs in the bottom of my stuff bag. Now I can't find one that's near the same. I see the two and three inch mesh ones on Evilbay, but I want a finer netting. Much of what I read about on the net is that so many of you are using silcloth or ripstop nylon variations. I personally don't like them as I just slip around. I'm not looking for storage pockets and such, just a light weight net hammock to slip a 'sleeping bag inside a bivy bag' into. No pad. No rain cover/tarp.

Anyone know of a brand/outlet where I can get netting so I can cut my own, or of a finished product I can buy? -Steve

Amazon.com: http://www.amazon.com/Maxam-Mesh-Army-Green-Hammock/dp/B003SRR30C/ref=sr_1_17?ie=UTF8&s=home-garden&qid=1279048781&sr=8-17

Joe's Army/Navy: http://www.joesarmynavyonline.com (search for "hammock")

VT Army/Navy: http://www.vtarmynavy.com (search for "hammock")

A place I can't vouch for: http://www.cproducts.com/0/15114387.html

JackOfAllTrades
07-13-2010, 16:28
Thank you for those links!

Now, why does it appear that most people are using some sort of nylon or silcloth for a hammock instead of nylon or dacron netting?

-Steve

sclittlefield
07-13-2010, 16:49

Now, why does it appear that most people are using some sort of nylon or silcloth for a hammock instead of nylon or dacron netting?

-Steve

Just a few thoughts, just don't mistake reasons for arguments. :)

I can't move around well in a net hammock, or at least, as well.
Most folks don't use a bivy system in their hammock like you described, so having a "solid" bottom offers protection from insects.
Though rarely a major problem, net hammocks can be 'tangly'.
The weight penalty over a net hammock is usually pretty negligable, if using a 30d or 40d single layer nylon ripstop.
This is only a personal note - but I find a netting hammock to be far less comfortable.

It all comes down to personal taste, however. If you like the net hammocks - use 'em! I do think your bivy/net hammock system is pretty clever - sure hope it's a pretty good bivy though, if you're going w/o any tarp. Most bivy's aren't the most waterproof on topside, and those that are don't breathe super well in hot/humid climate - at least in my experience.

I simply prefer ripstop fabric hammocks, so that's what I like to use.

HYOH [Hang Your Own Hammock]

Note: I only know of one member here who made a "silcloth" hammock, so that's certainly not a common thing. You won't find any sil commercial hammock anywhere, so far as I know.

JayS
07-13-2010, 16:58

-Steve

For me - it's a comfort thing. I had a netting hammock on my sailboat years ago and remember it cutting into me so I had to lay a blanket in it to be comfortable. Nylon or polyester is much softer. Plus, with any cool weather, you'll find it desirable to suspend soft insulation below the hammock to avoid crushing it and that's when the softness of a "solid" hammock is appreciated.

A "solid" hammock also retains heat a little more - or at least doesn't let as much wind through, which is good for temps less than 65 - 70 degrees. And it doesn't catch on brush or other items. There are solid hammocks weighing about the same as your mesh one (Warbonnet Traveler? Grand Trunk Nano?)

Good luck.

Bubba
07-13-2010, 18:02
As others have mentioned I never found netting hammocks as comfortable as solid material. I tried one an a backpacking trip and it was ok for lounging but I couldn't spend a whole night in one. I'm a big guy and it seemed to cut into me. Hope you find what you are looking for although if you hang aroung here long enough you may come over to the dark side.

slowhike
07-13-2010, 22:30
There was one hot summer day that a net hammock felt way better than a thin nylon one:)

thekalimist
07-13-2010, 22:38
simply put: not nearly jaguar-proof enough

Cannibal
07-13-2010, 22:43
Now you've gone and done it! :glare:

I've got a rule about making-fun of things: Don't do it unless you've tried it. So now, thanks to my desire to poke fun at the lowly net hammocks, I have to have one. :laugh:
I've been looking for a reasonable enough excuse to go to the Army Surplus shop, so lunch tomorrow I'll be looking for one of these things.

lizzie
07-13-2010, 22:53
Have you seen this guy's video? I was introduced to hammocks in the US Army Reserves. For years I would take a net hammock with me on hiking trips, even when I took a tent because the hammock was fun to lounge in.

To this day I use an old poncho as my tarp much the way the guy in the video demonstrates. The only difference is that I sometimes stake it down, and I tension it with prussic knots.

I believe the max weight from those things was 150 lbs though.

Cannibal
07-13-2010, 22:56
Try this:

euz-2u4LLIM

lizzie
07-14-2010, 00:18
Thanks Cannibal!

slowhike
07-14-2010, 09:14
Looks like Mitch has a system worked out that serves his needs well.

TOB9595
07-14-2010, 11:31
Missionary Mitch has it goin on.

He does have it all
Tom

Gnome77
07-17-2010, 07:40
I used a net hammock for years backpacking and now that I've moved to nylon material I do not think I could go back. World of difference, just as breathable and comparable weight. Still have two net hammocks, larger one for lounging with Travel trailer.

Trooper
07-17-2010, 08:05
Looks like Mitch has a system worked out that serves his needs well.

He would be living a life of luxury if he had a bugnet...

Youngblood
07-17-2010, 10:22
He would be living a life of luxury if he had a bugnet...

Yeah, sometimes the bugs don't read the directions on the bug juice bottle about how long it is suppose to last or honor 'the rules' about places you meant to cover with the juice but didn't. Dang old bugs don't always play fair... especially those swarms. When I was thru hiking I swear it seemed like some of the swarms in Jersey just used the 100% DEET I had as an appetizer. :D