PDA

View Full Version : Pimp My Hennessy

atman
10-02-2007, 23:19
I took advantage of the fall sale to get an Explorer Ultralight Asym. I plan to use it with my BA Horse Thief and Air Core pad, and mostly when it's reasonably warm. I went ahead and got Snake Skins for it, while I was at it.

I'm starting this thread because I'd like advice on how to modify the stock Explorer to really get the most out of it. I read that the default binding system can be improved on: how and why? Should I swap out my tarp, and if so, why? What works when it gets cold?

Ideally, I'd like for people to post modifications of the basic Hennesy that have worked for them, and why it's worthwhile to do so. I'm going to camp with it as it is at least once, as a gear test, before doing anything to it, but I want to get the most out of using it. Any small tips and tricks about using it properly would also be great. Thanks!

GrizzlyAdams
10-03-2007, 00:13
I took advantage of the fall sale to get an Explorer Ultralight Asym. I plan to use it with my BA Horse Thief and Air Core pad, and mostly when it's reasonably warm. I went ahead and got Snake Skins for it, while I was at it.

I'm starting this thread because I'd like advice on how to modify the stock Explorer to really get the most out of it. I read that the default binding system can be improved on: how and why? Should I swap out my tarp, and if so, why? What works when it gets cold?

Ideally, I'd like for people to post modifications of the basic Hennesy that have worked for them, and why it's worthwhile to do so. I'm going to camp with it as it is at least once, as a gear test, before doing anything to it, but I want to get the most out of using it. Any small tips and tricks about using it properly would also be great. Thanks!

1. Tarp. I use a MacCat Deluxe (over the same hammock as you're getting). Space to have things sitting on the ground sheltered, space to sit and watch the rain fall.

2. Suspension. I've used dual rings, makes it very easy to adjust and tighten, cinch buckles are also very popular around here. I'm into less webbing and more rope now. I lleave the Explorer rope as is, clip a nanowire biner through the loops of the tree-huggers, run the rope up through the biner, lark's head an SMC descending ring (or another biner) to the rope a foot or so away from the biner, thread the cord between them 2-3 times. Pull to tighten, gives mechanical advantage that is useful more for having less force on the working end of the rope than for pulling things tight. The advantage here again is ease of adjustment, and (particularly) ease of take-down. Absolutely no issues with jammed rings or buckles.

3. [haven't done this yet, but will]. Adjustable ridgeline. Lots of folks report that they can "tune" the sag to hit their sweet spot, and the one length fits all approach of the HH line doesn't admit to that. Adjustable ridgeline means clipping the existing one, patching on some replacement cord and a device for making it adjustable. When I do this I'll do it with a figure-9 gizmo.

4. [haven't done this yet, but will]. I'd make more bags to hang from the ridgeline, or clip to the loop in the ridgeline at the back of the hammock. Once you're inside it is an effort to get in and out to fetch stuff. So make enough holding devices to bring what you need inside.

You'll like this Explorer UL. Especially when pimped :)

Grizz

ZDP-189
10-03-2007, 04:04
1. Tarp. Consider replacing your tarp with a poncho. This will save a lot of weight and bulk.

2. Suspension. I'd recommend a three ring suspension system.

3. You can also rig one or more lines from the ridgeline to raise your boots or pack from within your hammock.

Peter_pan
10-03-2007, 04:36
1. Tarp. Consider replacing your tarp with a poncho. This will save a lot of weight and bulk.

2. Suspension. I'd recommend a three ring suspension system.

3. You can also rig one or more lines from the ridgeline to raise your boots or pack from within your hammock.

This tarp/poncho replacement may not the best idea... first, you'll need an extended length ponco..... Second. it does not improve the coverage, the vast majority of folks opt for a larger tarp.... just easier and better assurance of staying dry..... Thrird, there are tarps of better size with symetrical coverage that are lighter than ponchos.... asuming that one does not want to go to cuban material with its significant cost.

I'm biased but these are facts.

Pan

Certain
10-03-2007, 08:06
Hey atman,

Tarp: I agree with those saying to get a larger tarp. If you spend a significant amount of time (I was on the AT for 4 months this year in my HH and MacCat Deluxe Tarp in ALL kinds of weather) or even just one nite in a blowing rain storm, you won't have to worry about getting wet by rain blowing under the tarp. Trust me, you'll have peace of mind with a larger tarp.

Gear Storage: You can use a small stuff sack that you already carry gear in, one of the JRB mini-biners and attach everything you need to your ridgeline inside with you, and it's removable so you can carry stuff around in camp. I find the pocket that comes in the HH ridgeline to be sort of useless, it's not quite deep enough so stuff falls out easily when you move around.

Suspension: The ring/buckle system is all the rage right now, I've not tried it yet, but I still use the stock HH system only I add a Black Diamond Light D carabiner into it..basically hook the biner to the tree hugger loops then tie the HH spectra to the biner, it's much easier than threading the spectra through the tree hugger loops everytime. I see you're in CA, otherwise I'd recommend you try to get to one of the hangouts, because you can see all kinds of different modifications.

Modified Ridgeline: When you use the HH as a lounger (sitting on the outside of the hammock like a chair) the ridgeline is still rigid and going across the back of your head. I cut the ridgeline and then tied the ends to another carabiner, so if I want, I can unhook the ridgeline (which creates a totally saggy hammock) and you can lounge/lye down on the top/outside of the hammock.

johnnyquest
10-03-2007, 09:02
i am in the middle of pimping my hh now. ive got the mctarp...gone to a cambuckle on one end, slapstrap/carabiner on the other...and yesterday i cut my ridgeline. i lost light before getting it all figured out but...im not sure im happy with that part. i noticed that the ridgeline now rubs hard against my bald head as i enter and egress. it didnt used to do that.

Jazilla
10-03-2007, 12:41
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/6/7/100_3035.jpg
And I made a long pouch seperated into 6 sections for my ridgeline

MacEntyre
10-03-2007, 13:15
Thanks for asking, Atman!

I just ordered the same HH, so I had the same question.

- MacEntyre

blackie
10-03-2007, 19:31
i retied my ridgeline to better suit me ..i needed a little more sag than stock..i also added gear loops at both ends of the ridge line inside..like michele i use my stuff sacks to put stuff from my pockes in before going to bed..i used to just hook them to the ridge but.. with all my wiggling they would end up slideing down into my way..so i tied a pruisk knot with a loop on each end..now my gear will stay put..i usually hang a loop of cord from my ridge with a cabiner that i clip my boots on..keeps every thing high dry and free of bugs..

ZDP-189
10-03-2007, 22:46
I agree that a poncho does not make the best tarp, but I don't want to carry both and if I find I can't hang, and I have to camp, a HH Asym tarp makes the worst possible lean-to.

atman
10-04-2007, 14:40
Thanks, everyone who replied! A MacCat Deluxe would seem to be the way to go, although at nearly as much as I paid for the hammock it'll probably be a minute before I go ahead and get one. I'd like to know a little more about what kind of suspension options there are, I've been having trouble finding all the information in the threads, people assume far more knowledge than I think they realize sometimes. :eek: For instance I can visualize using a biner to attach to the Treehuggers, but I have no idea what a ringbuckle system is or how to use cleats.

Jazilla you modified your HH so you can get through the mosquito netting? I'd love some more detail on how you did that...

Not sure about cutting the ridgeline yet, that seems like the sort of modification I might make when I have more confidence in what I'm doing. Thanks again everyone... this is a very friendly forum.

Cannibal
10-04-2007, 14:47
Ringbuckles are pretty basic. Think: chin strap on a motorcycle helmet. That's all they really are and the cinch buckles are a variation of the same theme. The tree is the chin in that example

Of your three questions, that's the only one I have experience with so I'll let someone else answer the other 2.

stoikurt
10-04-2007, 15:47
[QUOTE=Cannibal;30671]The tree is the chin in that example
QUOTE]

I have to disagree with this part of your answer. If the tree was the "chin" then the rings would be tightened up against it. The rings are usually 6-12" from the hammock towards the tree. The strap and biner tighten up against the tree.

Cannibal
10-04-2007, 15:51
Yeah, I guess that's right. I was trying to provide a visual and may have done a bad thing.

Cannibal
10-04-2007, 17:16
In an effort to amend for a poor description here are some pics of the rings. I just happened to have a hammock set-up at the moment; go figure!

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/RingBuckleSuspension.JPG

Rings and slipknot
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/Rings.JPG

Tree wrap and biner
http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/files/4/3/5/BinerWrap.JPG

Hope that helps!

Amy
10-04-2007, 17:49
I just got my MacCat in the mail, and my JRB Nest is on it's way. YAY!

Now I'm planning on making python skins, no-seeum tarp skins, and a gear hammock.

---Amy

ZDP-189
10-04-2007, 23:40
Last night, in a vain attempt to cut weight from my pack, I modded my Asym tarp to include six 1" webbing loops around the hem. The positions are (1,2) half way between the corners of the shortest side and (3-6) on each adjacent side the same distance from the corners as tabs 1 and 2. That means counting the corners, I now have 10 securing points to play with.

The advantages are:
I am able to use the tarp as a lean-to
I can add extra lines where necessary to stabilise the upwind side of the tarp in heavy wind
I have more flexability to shape the tarp to suit the direction of rainfall
If I string the hammock between two trees close together, I can tighten the tarp even if I can't stretch it all the way along the suspension lines
I can lace the tarp around the hammock to wrap it around in strong wind
I can wrap it around me to act as a makeshift poncho

This last item doesn't work well at all. Just as a poncho makes a lousy tarp, a tarp makes a lousy poncho. But here the seasons and weather are fairly predictable and I just need to avoid getting caught out by a surprise shower. I thought about this for a while, but getting a little wet while walking is preferable to getting soaked while sleeping.

I also got round to adding 4mm thick shock cord loops to the tarp lines. This has two main advantages. The first, as the others have said is to self tension the tarp as it gets wet, but the second is more important to me. I find the standard tarp lines to be of a boor standard, being hard to untie knits in, being hard to shank, prone to damage and hard to stow when snake skinning. The lines are now affixed to the shock cord and the shock cord loop is easily removed and put back.

I have cut my ridgeline and added a three hole cinch for adjustment.

I also plan to mod my Velcro closure to add a lacing backup. and add a lace or press stud closure on my ridgeline bag.

I have also added a line to my pack from the ridgeline.

johnnyquest
10-05-2007, 05:31
i made an unscheduled mod to my hh last night. i had the hammock up and was throwing the ball for my dog as i messed with lines and tarps and such. well, gus gets pretty excited about a tennis ball. i made the mistake of throwing it in the same hemisphere as the hammock. gus clipped a hammock tieout line, ripping the round plastic connection off. so i spent the evening replacing both of those with a stout piece of webbing. its stronger now, so maybe i should thank him.