PDA

View Full Version : Weight savings of Whoopies for WBBB

Raul Perez
07-18-2010, 17:33
Hey guys,

Got a pair of whoopie slings the past week and put them on my ENO doublenest as the slap straps weren't the greatest things in the world. Really impressed.

I'm looking for ways to lighten my summer/3 season pack in various areas and already shaved off a couple pounds based on some reflecting on my last hike on the AT. I'm looking for a base weight in the 10-12 lbs range. Right now I'm looking at 14.8lbs base weight.

I couldn't find the info on a search but does anyone know the savings if I switched out the adjustable webbing suspension on my Warbonnet BB?

Thanks in advance,

Raul

Trooper
07-18-2010, 18:03
I'm not having any luck finding it, but I think Ikemouser did a thread on his WBBB. Whoever it was has modified the suspension and ridgeline with thin Amsteel, cutting the weight almost in half.

opie
07-18-2010, 18:53
Iirc, the weight savings is between 3 and 6 ounces. I don't recall which. It also depends on what type of suspension came with your BB.

opie
07-18-2010, 18:55
I'm not having any luck finding it, but I think Ikemouser did a thread on his WBBB. Whoever it was has modified the suspension and ridgeline with thin Amsteel, cutting the weight almost in half.

Ike is using dynaglide I believe.

Raul Perez
07-18-2010, 19:04
Iirc, the weight savings is between 3 and 6 ounces. I don't recall which. It also depends on what type of suspension came with your BB.

I have the suspension with the buckles so I'm guessing close to the 6 ounces.

What about rain... do whoopie slings have a problem with rain channeling into the hammock? I havent had a problem with the BB suspension in the rain.

Trooper
07-18-2010, 19:14
Ike is using dynaglide I believe.

That is probably a contributing factor to my failure to find the post in a quick search...

opie
07-18-2010, 19:42
Raul... Some have had issues... some havent. I think it depends on how hard its raining.

gRaFFiX
07-18-2010, 22:46
The old triangle rings that came stock with the BB were 21 oz. 7/64 amsteel whoopies from AHE were 21 oz. So the only weight savings were in the amount of material I cut off the straps that also came standard with BB. Opie is correct in saying that it's somewhere between 3 and 6 oz, again depending on how much you cut off yourself.