PDA

View Full Version : Just bought a Calytor Jungle

nogods
10-04-2007, 10:47
I just got my Clark NA Monday and spent the last three nights in it. Last night was perfect - I slept on my back and rolled over on both sides during the night - just like in my bed - and woke only once that I remembered. seems I figured out the best hang angle and sag.

But my son told me last night that he now wants a hammock - he goes to school in the Adirondacks, went hiking with some friends last weekend, and saw a few hammocks being used. He is only 5'11" and I'm 6'3" so I'm going to send him the Clark. I ordered a Claytor Jungle for myself - it appears to be longer and wider than the Clark, and it is a lot less expensive.

neo
10-04-2007, 13:10
I just got my Clark NA Monday and spent the last three nights in it. Last night was perfect - I slept on my back and rolled over on both sides during the night - just like in my bed - and woke only once that I remembered. seems I figured out the best hang angle and sag.

But my son told me last night that he now wants a hammock - he goes to school in the Adirondacks, went hiking with some friends last weekend, and saw a few hammocks being used. He is only 5'11" and I'm 6'3" so I'm going to send him the Clark. I ordered a Claytor Jungle for myself - it appears to be longer and wider than the Clark, and it is a lot less expensive.

:) excellent choice my friend,i own 2 claytor jungle hammocks and my oldest son owns one to.i use a different tarp than the one that came with my hammock i use a 12 x 12 camo tarp found on link below.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247

i made spreader bar for netting out of alumnum camo arrow shaft.

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1711&c=4

my suspension system for quicker hanging

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1710&c=4

a very stealthy comy set up

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=1683&catid=member&imageuser=11

neo
10-04-2007, 13:11
i meant stealthy comfy set up.:cool: neo

NCPatrick
10-04-2007, 13:15
:) excellent choice my friend,i own 2 claytor jungle hammocks and my oldest son owns one to.i use a different tarp than the one that came with my hammock i use a 12 x 12 camo tarp found on link below.

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=97247

Looks like they only have the 9x9 tarp available now.

nogods
10-04-2007, 13:51
Yes Neo - I've read most of your posts on this forum and they helped me settle on the Claytor Jungle. That and the pics of your hang at Claytor's site.

But I do like the Clark, if it were bigger I'd give my son the Claytor and keep the Clark for myself.

I did check for that tarp earlier and you can only buy the 9x9 now so I'll wait on that.

I have two questions for you -

1. can you tie up the net without a spreader? I have had no problems with the Clark netting or weathershield in my face like some others have stated, and it would be simplier to just tie the net with the center loops on the Claytor if possible, although if I was stuck in it for any period I can see how spreading it out might be advantageous.

2. Can I put a 48" pad (or two pieces of 24") in the pad holder? I made a homemade spe for the Clark and it fits really good (haven't had a chance to test it in cold weather yet - it's going to be 85 in Buffalo today and tomorrow!) - Oh, and how do you gain entry to the pad holder - at the end or side? Are there velcro closures?

Thanks.

neo
10-04-2007, 14:20
Yes Neo - I've read most of your posts on this forum and they helped me settle on the Claytor Jungle. That and the pics of your hang at Claytor's site.

But I do like the Clark, if it were bigger I'd give my son the Claytor and keep the Clark for myself.

I did check for that tarp earlier and you can only buy the 9x9 now so I'll wait on that.

I have two questions for you -

1. can you tie up the net without a spreader? I have had no problems with the Clark netting or weathershield in my face like some others have stated, and it would be simplier to just tie the net with the center loops on the Claytor if possible, although if I was stuck in it for any period I can see how spreading it out might be advantageous.

2. Can I put a 48" pad (or two pieces of 24") in the pad holder? I made a homemade spe for the Clark and it fits really good (haven't had a chance to test it in cold weather yet - it's going to be 85 in Buffalo today and tomorrow!) - Oh, and how do you gain entry to the pad holder - at the end or side? Are there velcro closures?

Thanks.

the spreader bar is nice but you can live without it,here is a pic of mine with no spreader bar for netting

http://www.hammockforums.net/gallery/showimage.php?i=878&catid=member&imageuser=11

on 48 in pad are you talking width or lenght,i would not use use any thing wider tha 28 to 30 inches myself:cool: neo

nogods
10-04-2007, 14:42
thanks again Neo.

As to the pad, I was thinking that a wide pad in the pocket - as wide as the pocket is - would insulate the sides as well as the bottom, so that my shoulders pressing against the sides would not get cold. I'm talking about use in temps of 40 and lower.

The homemade SPE for the Clark curls up around my shoulders and sides.

neo
10-04-2007, 14:45
thanks again Neo.

As to the pad, I was thinking that a wide pad in the pocket - as wide as the pocket is - would insulate the sides as well as the bottom, so that my shoulders pressing against the sides would not get cold. I'm talking about use in temps of 40 and lower.

The homemade SPE for the Clark curls up around my shoulders and sides.

i have used an army closed cell pad down to 8.6 degrees with nothing else below me in my claytor hammock:cool: neo

nogods
10-04-2007, 14:49
Neo - are you in the claytor hammock in those pictures? It looks real flat? and in one of them it looks like you a "snakeskin" on the rope next to the hammock.

neo
10-04-2007, 14:51
Neo - are you in the claytor hammock in those pictures? It looks real flat? and in one of them it looks like you a "snakeskin" on the rope next to the hammock.

yep my hammock has over sized snake skins made by fellow hammock forums member headchange4u,:cool: neo

Miguel
10-04-2007, 16:34
Nogods
I also have a Claytor. I always have a spreader at the head end. I don't carry a bar with me but simply pick up a stick from the ground and break it to size. It doesn't have to be the exact length each time. I've done a lot of hanging this summer and have never been unable to find a suitable branch.

I also tried a 40" pad and it was way overkill. It also tends to bunch up. Through much experimentation I've conluded the 1/2" thick 24" waffle pad at Wally World with attached wings work the best. Why carry more when it's not really needed.
My pad can be seen here. http://good-times.webshots.com/album/560834203BtHMbJ There is a little note under each pic. The black strips are ripstop nylon and act as a simple hinge. I'm very happy with this sytem and the Claytor hammock in general.

Welcome to The Claytor Club!

Miguel

nogods
10-04-2007, 16:45
Migule:

Do you put the pad with wings in the pad sack or in the hammock?

Miguel
10-04-2007, 18:11
I place it between the two bottom layers, or as you say....the "pad sack". That way when you move around you are moving against nylon not directly on the pad. If you put it in the hammock, everytime you move the pad will move with you due to the friction created by direct contact.

Feel free to fire away with any other concerns about the Claytor hammock. BTW...I see Neo uses the rings for suspension but I greatly prefer the cinch buckles as I believe they are much more secure. They are also just as easy to use.

Miguel

hangnout
10-04-2007, 19:03
i have used an army closed cell pad down to 8.6 degrees with nothing else below me in my claytor hammock:cool: neo

He forgot to mention the Antifreeze IV he took before going out that night:D
I slept out that night and needed more bottom insulation than that for sure and I normally don't need as much as the other people I hike with. Try the pad at home before camping in those temps:)

A couple of my hiking buddies use the claytor and the pad pocket is great. I have seen them get into the 20's easily with a decent pad.

neo
10-04-2007, 20:32
He forgot to mention the Antifreeze IV he took before going out that night:D
I slept out that night and needed more bottom insulation than that for sure and I normally don't need as much as the other people I hike with. Try the pad at home before camping in those temps:)

A couple of my hiking buddies use the claytor and the pad pocket is great. I have seen them get into the 20's easily with a decent pad.

:D i will not need a pad with hillary:cool: neo

nogods
10-05-2007, 09:45
Seems that everyone who has a Claytor jungle advises replacing the tarp with the "Neo" gear guide 12 x 12 - unfortunately, they are no longer available. Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative tarp that won't cost me more than the hammock?

Miguel
10-05-2007, 11:43
Seems that everyone who has a Claytor jungle advises replacing the tarp with the "Neo" gear guide 12 x 12 - unfortunately, they are no longer available. Does anyone have a suggestion for an alternative tarp that won't cost me more than the hammock?

I've been in some torrential rains with my stock Claytor tarp and have stayed completely dry. If need be you can stake it down directly with the loops attached to the tarp. It's 13' long at it's longest point...plenty long enough IMHO. I'd try it a few times before running out and spending money on something you may not really need.

Miguel

neo
10-05-2007, 13:05

the 9 x 9 will work but a driving rain on the end got my hammock wet
if you sew and curtains on each end like jrb that would work:cool: neo

neo
10-05-2007, 13:13
I've been in some torrential rains with my stock Claytor tarp and have stayed completely dry. If need be you can stake it down directly with the loops attached to the tarp. It's 13' long at it's longest point...plenty long enough IMHO. I'd try it a few times before running out and spending money on something you may not really need.

Miguel

i got wet,wind blew hard rain in on one end,the only thing that kept me from getting soaked to the bone with the stock claytor tarp was that the wind driven rain only lasted a few minutes,the same thing happened to my oldest son with the 9 x 9 neo tarp and his claytor jungle hammock,my youngest son was ok with his tarp in his shorter vietnam jungle hammock,its over 2 feet shorter:cool: neo

hangnout
10-05-2007, 13:30
I personally think you can bring the 9x9 lower and tighter to the hammock than the 12x12. The 12x12 has to be spread fairly wide to bring close to the hammock and trees have to be further apart. If I know it is going to rain I look for big trees fairly close together to let nature help block some of the wing/rain. You have lots of friends when it is raining with the 12x12 though:D

nogods
10-07-2007, 07:51
I just got an email from Tom Claytor notifying me that my jungle hammock was shipped on Friday (well...he said it was shipped on Oct. 5 but he also said he was in Siberia so I'm not sure what date it is for him). In any event it should be here by mid-week.

smithobx
10-08-2007, 10:50
i got wet,wind blew hard rain in on one end,the only thing that kept me from getting soaked to the bone with the stock claytor tarp was that the wind driven rain only lasted a few minutes,the same thing happened to my oldest son with the 9 x 9 neo tarp and his claytor jungle hammock,my youngest son was ok with his tarp in his shorter vietnam jungle hammock,its over 2 feet shorter:cool: neo

Hey Neo and nogods, Darby and I spent 4 days in the SNP weekend before last. We had severe thunder storms with very heavy rains and high winds for 6 hours the first night. I was in my Claytor, with the stock tarp, and stayed bone dry. I also have the 9 x 9 "Neo" tarp but I think you can actually button up a little tighter with the stock tarp because it is diamond shaped and not square like the 9 x 9. I also have to agree with Neo, nothing gives you the protection of a 12 x 12, but being older than Neo, it's hard for me to justify the extra weight. My stock Claytor tarp weighs 16 oz. with all lines and a set of figure 9"s attached.

nogods
10-08-2007, 11:02
How do you "button it up" in the rain?

smithobx
10-08-2007, 11:20
How do you "button it up" in the rain?

By "button up" I mean you lower the tarp as low as possible without touching the hammock and pull the sides in as tight as possible without touching the hammock. This give you the best coverage for the size tarp you are using. The down side is you lose ventilation. The reason I say you can set up tighter with the stock tarp is because the side wings are shorter than the length of the tarp ( thus the diamond shape ) so the tarp can be set both lower and can be pulled in tighter on the sides than with a square tarp of the same length. Hope that makes sense.

nogods
10-08-2007, 16:23
By "button up" I mean you lower the tarp as low as possible without touching the hammock and pull the sides in as tight as possible without touching the hammock. This give you the best coverage for the size tarp you are using. The down side is you lose ventilation. The reason I say you can set up tighter with the stock tarp is because the side wings are shorter than the length of the tarp ( thus the diamond shape ) so the tarp can be set both lower and can be pulled in tighter on the sides than with a square tarp of the same length. Hope that makes sense.

Thanks for the info

ken999
10-14-2007, 21:44
I see your pic's of the Claytor on your weathersheild thread...I didn't want to muck up that thread w/ questions so here goes...

How do you like the Claytor? How flat can you lay in it? How big is the underpad area? (read: how bigga pad can you use?...lol...). How does the Claytor compare to the Clark?

Thanks

neo
10-14-2007, 22:13
Looks like they only have the 9x9 tarp available now.

its available 12 x 12 in white:cool: neo

http://www.sportsmansguide.com/cb/cb.asp?a=254694

nogods
10-14-2007, 23:08
I see your pic's of the Claytor on your weathersheild thread...I didn't want to muck up that thread w/ questions so here goes...

How do you like the Claytor? How flat can you lay in it? How big is the underpad area? (read: how bigga pad can you use?...lol...). How does the Claytor compare to the Clark?

Thanks

The Claytor is a lot roomier than the Clark - I'm 6'3 and 250 (lost some weight getting ready for upcoming trip) with broad shoulders. Thus, I'm more comfortable in the claytor because i have more sleep options, although I like the design of the Clark better.

I put a home made spe consisting of a 20" walmart pad with 10" wings attached to each side (just used duct tape over the edges, punched holes in the pad and wings, and tied them together.) I slipped it into the Claytor pad sleeve and it fit with no problem. I had to trim the edges of the wings because when I get in the hammock the pad bends causing the top part of the top wings to raise up at an angle an actually pushing them above the top edge of the hammock (the same was true for the Clark but because the pad was not in a sleve in the hammock I could just let it extend above the edge.)

I think once I add the weather shield the Claytor will be almost as functional as the Clark except for the storage compartments attached to the outside of the Clark and the either-side entry feature of the Clark. The Clark does seem sturdier but that may just be a mis-perception on my part.

6 feet over
10-14-2007, 23:24

If you get the white one, is it still a ‘Neo’ tarp?

I broke down and got two of the 12 X 12’s when I ordered. I’m heading upstate for some archery hunting this week and have to choose between my Clark & my Claytor. I may be too lazy to set up both. I’ve yet to sleep out in cold weather so this is my big chance. I also have a nice cabin to run to if I want to chicken out!

6 ft.

aceatc
11-15-2007, 11:49
A friend of mine just bought the jungle hammock and we're still waiting for that because now he actually has a real hammock for camping and not his string... geez.

Anyone know how small you can pack the claytor? I know how big the picture of the hammock and such is on the website, but alike my HH, I can seperate the pieces (hammock, tarp, etc) and make a more efficent use of space.

neo
11-15-2007, 12:07
A friend of mine just bought the jungle hammock and we're still waiting for that because now he actually has a real hammock for camping and now his string... geez.

Anyone know how small you can pack the claytor? I know how big the picture of the hammock and such is on the website, but alike my HH, I can seperate the pieces (hammock, tarp, etc) and make a more efficent use of space.

the tarp and hammock fit in the same bag. but i carry a much bigger tarp seperately so i can rapidly deploy tarp first in a major down pour:cool: neo

aceatc
11-25-2007, 03:15
Oh BTW. Anyone know if the webbing on the jungle is attached to the hammock? I'm just curious.

cavediver2
11-25-2007, 10:52

Damnit Neo and I thought I was done and then you had to throw that in and for 24 bucks what a deal. I could use that one for all kinds of stuff.

FanaticFringer
11-25-2007, 11:49
Damnit Neo and I thought I was done and then you had to throw that in and for 24 bucks what a deal. I could use that one for all kinds of stuff.

That is pretty darn cheap. Put some cat cuts on the sides and you got you a huge "White Cat".:D

Mule
11-26-2007, 22:00
I just ordered a Jungle from Claytor to be shipped in a hurry. You all have enticed me into going for it. I will be using Speer's Winter Tarp with it all year round in different configurations. Can't wait to try it out. Mule

Mule
11-30-2007, 11:49
I'm taking my Claytor out for a maiden hang tonight. Pretty cold and snow and sleep predicted for tomorrow. I will be making a report on how my JRB Quilts, Speer Winter Tarp and Jungle Hammock do this weekend. Mule:p

BillyBob58
11-30-2007, 12:12
I'm taking my Claytor out for a maiden hang tonight. Pretty cold and snow and sleep predicted for tomorrow. I will be making a report on how my JRB Quilts, Speer Winter Tarp and Jungle Hammock do this weekend. Mule:p

Looking forward to those results. I'm going to have to do something for insulation if I keep my bridge hammock. I've only been able to lay in it an hour or so, and am still somewhat undecided due to shoulder squeeze issues(otherwise, I love it). The pad pocket works great with a 25" wide 2" thick TR Camprest, the most comfortable pad set up I have tried. But, it is still not quite as comfortable as without a pad. But about $300 for a long UQ is not all that thrilling either. And I kind of hate to give up my SS since I have learned it's tricks and made it work pretty good for me.

Mule
12-01-2007, 17:14
Looking forward to those results. I'm going to have to do something for insulation if I keep my bridge hammock. I've only been able to lay in it an hour or so, and am still somewhat undecided due to shoulder squeeze issues(otherwise, I love it). The pad pocket works great with a 25" wide 2" thick TR Camprest, the most comfortable pad set up I have tried. But, it is still not quite as comfortable as without a pad. But about $300 for a long UQ is not all that thrilling either. And I kind of hate to give up my SS since I have learned it's tricks and made it work pretty good for me.
Grizzly Adams came up with a pretty cool way to keep his quilt tight and yet un compressed, but he does use a quilt. I hear from the Jacks that you are the Guru on the SS. I used to have one and went on a weekend with Griz, Headchange, (I've been calling him Changeface) Hooch, & Cerberus. With the over cover, torso and kidney pads I was toasty at about 30 degrees and surprisingly little condensation too. My feeling is that all a person would need to make it pretty warm is three of the open cell foam pads between the hammock and the undercover. It would also be not much more bulk. I will let everyone know soon how last night went. I had one of the best times I've ever had camping alone last night, and the Claytor made it so. I'm not that experienced with hammocks, but this was very sweet. Mule

Just Jeff
12-01-2007, 17:24
...snow and sleep predicted for tomorrow....

HAHA - typo or a Freudian...either way, it's a mistake only a hammocker could make! :D

BillyBob58
12-01-2007, 17:56
Grizzly Adams came up with a pretty cool way to keep his quilt tight and yet un compressed, but he does use a quilt. I hear from the Jacks that you are the Guru on the SS. I used to have one and went on a weekend with Griz, Headchange, (I've been calling him Changeface) Hooch, & Cerberus. With the over cover, torso and kidney pads I was toasty at about 30 degrees and surprisingly little condensation too. My feeling is that all a person would need to make it pretty warm is three of the open cell foam pads between the hammock and the undercover. It would also be not much more bulk. I will let everyone know soon how last night went. I had one of the best times I've ever had camping alone last night, and the Claytor made it so. I'm not that experienced with hammocks, but this was very sweet. Mule

You mean to say that I am actually considered a Guru of something? Amazing! Only 1 year 3 months ago I was sleeping in my HH netting, shivering and cursing hammocks! I have indeed done a lot of experimenting with the SS since then, probably more than most I suppose. There was a guy who used to be here, TeeDee, who was quite a SS fan, but he is long gone to other forums. And there are a couple of guys over at Whiteblaze hammock forum who are pretty big fans and also have down UQ experience, but they don't post much either place. They must be to busy camping or something.

You results with the SS at 30* on your weekend with Griz/HC/Hooch/Cereberus were really quite a testimony to the SS considering that
A: Some, like Jeff just posted, can't do much better than 30* with a NS UQ without a pad, and one guy over at WB couldn't do that good.( though some can no doubt do better) AND
B: you did not use the space blanket. Which according to TH, and per my experience, seems to add significant warmth for 2 oz and $2. So, I think for you to have been "toasty at about 30 degrees and surprisingly little condensation too" were about as good a result as anybody could reasonably ask for.

I was going to go today to Hancock Fabrics as they supposedly carry that Insul-bright (sp?) stuff, which somebody here wrote about. I am looking forward to cutting some of it to perfectly fit on top of my under-pad, as a substitute for the regular space blanket. That MIGHT work great. Also, somebody here ( or on WB) cut some fleece to fit their HH under-pad and sewed/glued the SB to that. They thought it worked great. I've really been wanting to try both of these, but my around-to-it is broken. I've been working to much, instead of camping/hiking like I should be.

Still looking forward to your report on all of that gear!

BillyBob58
12-01-2007, 17:59
HAHA - typo or a Freudian...either way, it's a mistake only a hammocker could make! :D

Yeah that is funny, and perfect for a hammocker! I think Freudian! :D

Mule
12-01-2007, 18:05
You mean to say that I am actually considered a Guru of something? Amazing! Only 1 year 3 months ago I was sleeping in my HH netting, shivering and cursing hammocks! I have indeed done a lot of experimenting with the SS since then, probably more than most I suppose. There was a guy who used to be here, TeeDee, who was quite a SS fan, but he is long gone to other forums. And there are a couple of guys over at Whiteblaze hammock forum who are pretty big fans and also have down UQ experience, but they don't post much either place. They must be to busy camping or something.

You results with the SS at 30* on your weekend with Griz/HC/Hooch/Cereberus were really quite a testimony to the SS considering that
A: Some, like Jeff just posted, can't do much better than 30* with a NS UQ without a pad, and one guy over at WB couldn't do that good.( though some can no doubt do better) AND
B: you did not use the space blanket. Which according to TH, and per my experience, seems to add significant warmth for 2 oz and $2. So, I think for you to have been "toasty at about 30 degrees and surprisingly little condensation too" were about as good a result as anybody could reasonably ask for.

I was going to go today to Hancock Fabrics as they supposedly carry that Insul-bright (sp?) stuff, which somebody here wrote about. I am looking forward to cutting some of it to perfectly fit on top of my under-pad, as a substitute for the regular space blanket. That MIGHT work great. Also, somebody here ( or on WB) cut some fleece to fit their HH under-pad and sewed/glued the SB to that. They thought it worked great. I've really been wanting to try both of these, but my around-to-it is broken. I've been working to much, instead of camping/hiking like I should be.

Still looking forward to your report on all of that gear!
GOOD LUCK ON THAT, I FORGOT TO MENTION I DID USE A BIG AGNES INSULTATED PAD ON THAT CAMPOUT USING THE SS. MULE