PDA

View Full Version : under quilt or pea pod for eagles nest?

hammock joe
10-06-2007, 22:16
i was wander if any one has made or knows of an under quilt or pea pod that fits an eagles nest hammock.

thank you for your time.

angrysparrow
10-06-2007, 22:38
I've used both a Potomac and a Snugfit with an ENO. Both work fine, but the Snugfit does fit it better.

ENO is reported to be coming out with their own underquilt soon, but there is no indication of when, yet.

hammock joe
10-07-2007, 10:52
yea I've heard that ENO was coming out with one, i might wait and look into it. I'm from Alabama and it only gets below freezing a few months out of the year.

FanaticFringer
10-07-2007, 11:54
yea I've heard that ENO was coming out with one, i might wait and look into it. I'm from Alabama and it only gets below freezing a few months out of the year.

I used my JRB Nest last night and it only got down to around 58. Underquilts can be used in not so cold weather to avoid using a pad if you so choose.

Kanguru
11-07-2007, 19:05
My homemade peapod which is about 70 inches in diameter fits well on my ENO double. Be careful of the hook side of the velcro as it tries to attach to the ENO fabric and might cause wear over time.

turk
11-08-2007, 18:43
does anyone know where I could look at some pictures of underquilts attached to ENO hammocks?

slowhike
11-08-2007, 19:10
does anyone know where I could look at some pictures of underquilts attached to ENO hammocks?

i know that hooch used a snugfit on his ENO at hot springs but i don't know if he has a picture.

Just Jeff
11-08-2007, 20:01
I think JRB has an ENO on their website.

Peter_pan
11-11-2007, 19:15
I think JRB has an ENO on their website.

Yup.... check the pictures on the FAQ page.

Pan

greggg3
11-11-2007, 19:16
I have an ENO double - in fact I think I talked here to this group about how to hang it because it wasn't initially as comfortable as I expected, and thanks to Sparrow who said it should not be hung tight - anyway I have an Old Rag Mountain quilt from JRB that I bought for my Hennessey UL Explorer (never could get the suspension right, despite Jeff's suggestions), but surprise - it works great on the ENO double! I think this is because there is no bug net and I can easily reach out and see how its fitting then make adjustments. It keeps me toasty down to about 45 deg or so, colder than that and I need a closed cell pad under the heavy spots (like my *** and back) to stay warm.

Also, suspension for the ENO is now really - I mean seriously - not tight (thanks sparrow) and I'm really starting to like this hammock. Its not really a flat lay, but its still very comfortable, and in the winter when there are no skeeters I like the top loading and freedom of no mesh around me.

Hooch
11-12-2007, 04:57
does anyone know where I could look at some pictures of underquilts attached to ENO hammocks?Turk, here ya go (http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v704/headchange4u/SEHHA%20%20April%2007/?action=view&current=SEHHAApr07014.jpg). :D That's my son's ENO DoubleNest I was using at Hot Springs in April with a prototype Speer SnugFit that Ed was nice enough to let me use for evaluation purposes. It's definitely the UQ that sets the standard.

txulrich
11-12-2007, 16:49
I just added a picture from this past weekend to my gallery.

We camped at Ray Roberts State Park in North Texas. The temps were in the 60's at night. I used a fleece (prolly 100 weight) that I picked up for 2.74/yd at Walmart.

I'm going to add a ridge line to my setup to get a more consistant hang. Other than that, it was very comfortable. Not as roomy as my HH, but easier to get in and out.

hikingjer
09-14-2008, 23:54
Last weekend I used a Hennessy (HH) Super Shelter undercover and underpad (that's for a Ultralight Backpacker A-sym) with my ENO Doublenest. Here are some photos.

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3024/2855569559_4d2129bbcd.jpg?v=0

http://farm4.static.flickr.com/3271/2855559133_d7ae5e21b1.jpg?v=0

It worked OK. The ENO-D is not very warm by itself due to the fabric. The HH Super Shelter (SS) blocked wind from blowing through the ENO fabric. The HH SS was a little too short for the ENO but it was wide enough. I was afraid the shortness may bust out some seams on the ends of the HH SS but after examination it did not seem that this would be a problem.

I used this rig while camping on a grouse hunting trip on state forest near Husum, WA in the southern part of state. It was warm that night. Probably did not drop down below 45 degrees with little wind. I did not have a tarp strung up over the hammock and did not use a space blanket as HH advises for colder temps. It was warm and comfortable at that mild temp and with little wind. The HH SS added atleast 10 degrees of warmth, if not more.

BillyBob58
09-15-2008, 09:22
Last weekend I used a Hennessy (HH) Super Shelter undercover and underpad (that's for a Ultralight Backpacker A-sym) with my ENO Doublenest. ...............

It worked OK. The ENO-D is not very warm by itself due to the fabric. The HH Super Shelter (SS) blocked wind from blowing through the ENO fabric. The HH SS was a little too short for the ENO but it was wide enough. I was afraid the shortness may bust out some seams on the ends of the HH SS but after examination it did not seem that this would be a problem.

I used this rig while camping on a grouse hunting trip on state forest near Husum, WA in the southern part of state. It was warm that night. Probably did not drop down below 45 degrees with little wind. I did not have a tarp strung up over the hammock and did not use a space blanket as HH advises for colder temps. It was warm and comfortable at that mild temp and with little wind. The HH SS added atleast 10 degrees of warmth, if not more.

Great report. Amazing that you got that ( shorter SS for ULBP) to work with the pretty darn long ENO! (My Explorer SS should fit much better.) And you did 45*F without even a SB or tarp. And no other pad? I think that is a great result.

You might be a very warm sleeper. But if you are a normal or cold sleeper, and used no other pad, it sounds more like it added about 25*F, even without an SB. Based on the fact that most folks apparently get cold below 70 without some kind of pad. But like you said, 10* if not MORE.

hikingjer
09-15-2008, 21:49
Amazing that you got that ( shorter SS for ULBP) to work with the pretty darn long ENO! (My Explorer SS should fit much better.) And you did 45*F without even a SB or tarp. And no other pad? I think that is a great result.

You might be a very warm sleeper. But if you are a normal or cold sleeper, and used no other pad, it sounds more like it added about 25*F, even without an SB. Based on the fact that most folks apparently get cold below 70 without some kind of pad. But like you said, 10* if not MORE.

The ENO-D is long, longer than the HH undercover. The ends of the hammock stick out beyond the HH undercover (see pic) which I worried about. I was worried the hammock would press out the ends of the HH underquilt and stretch out and possibly bust out its seams. That did not happen. But, I only slept in this rig one night. More experimentation may yield different results (it seems every night in a hammock as a newby is an experiment).

I forgot to mention that I did have a Cascade Designs Z-Rest and an old LL Bean wool jacket underneath me.

It seems that your HH Explorer SS undercover will be a better fit for the ENO-D.

The temp may have been in the upper 40s. That's an estimate. I didn't wake up at like 5 am to check the thermometer. I don't think I'm a warm sleeper since it seems most camping gear manufacturer's claims seem to be in line with my experiences.

whitefoot_hp
09-18-2008, 22:28
i was wander if any one has made or knows of an under quilt or pea pod that fits an eagles nest hammock.

thank you for your time.

i found an earlier speer prototype pea pod rated to 50 degrees, obviously not the one he is currently selling. probably has similar dimensions.

however, it is dank on my eno double nest. i was about to give up hammocking til i got this thing. then i lived in it for a month!