PDA

View Full Version : Tx-200/nx-200

Jerven
07-28-2010, 13:41
Can anyone tell me what they like about either of these two hammocks. Pretty sure I am gonna go with the NX-200 but just would like to know if there is any difference other than the pocket location between the two? I know the TX-200 is for warmer climates and the NX-200 is for colder climates. Thanks Sean

bigbamaguy
07-28-2010, 15:29
Jewelers:
I have the NX and the only difference I have been able to gleen is the addition of a thrid set of pockets on the NX vs only two set on the TX. Out in Cali, I don't see how you could go wrong with the TX or the NX. They will serve you well no matter what the choice.

Jerven
07-28-2010, 15:37
Thanks for your help! We do get some snow in my backyard (Sespe Wilderness) and it gets downright chilly. So I think the NX-200 is the way to go!

Riverpirate
07-28-2010, 19:23
Yes the TX has the middle pockets removed because it is just a bigger tropical design but the NX has the spreader/flexible rods and the TX doesn't.

TinaLouise
07-29-2010, 11:33
Can anyone tell me what they like about either of these two hammocks. Pretty sure I am gonna go with the NX-200 but just would like to know if there is any difference other than the pocket location between the two? I know the TX-200 is for warmer climates and the NX-200 is for colder climates. Thanks Sean

the middle pocket is not just removed from the tropical, the positions of the other pockets are spread apart more than if you simply removed the middle pocket.

Plus the pockets on the Tropical have flaps with velcro under neight., the NA pockets are velcroed shut with no flaps.

The head end of the NA is nylon material. The Tropical is no-see-um with a nylon cover that you can push open or there is velcro at the top point so you can keep it closed. This really helps to keep cool in hot/humid temps.

The weathershield is part of the NA while you have to order it as an option on the Tropical.

I've found that I can add more insulation in the winter to be warm and toasty but that during the summer when it's HOT, that my Tropical is a very cool hammock. I've been able to try both the NA and the Tropical in hot conditions and it's way easier to be cool in the Tropical. I found the NA just to hot for me to stay in it during the summer.

Look at the temps you're gonna be camping in and decide from there. The Tropical really is more for warm temps. I've camped year round with mine but I use really thick winter top and bottom quilts during the winter. I do have the weathershield with my Tropical and love it.

TinaLouise
07-29-2010, 11:47
Yes the TX has the middle pockets removed because it is just a bigger tropical design but the NX has the spreader/flexible rods and the TX doesn't.

actually that sort of depends,
he was asking about the NX-200 vs the TX-200 and both of them do NOT have the spreader bars.

the NX-150 or the NX-250 are the ones with the spreader bars. (I don't think a Tropical is even offered in this version)

Jerven
07-29-2010, 13:33
Wow! Thanks TinaLouise! That was a great comparison. It really got me thinking about ordering the tropical instead. I like the 200's because they are longer and a little wider which makes for a flatter lie. Is the Tropical made as well as the NA? Does the Tropicals hood around the head end seal up tight for bad weather? I would definitely order the optional weather shield. Thanks Sean

TinaLouise
07-30-2010, 07:35
Is the Tropical made as well as the NA? Does the Tropicals hood around the head end seal up tight for bad weather? I would definitely order the optional weather shield. Thanks Sean

Yes, the workmanship is the same for either hammocks. I got the lighter colored version too instead of the black. Again, because of camping more in hot/humid conditions. (I don't know if the tropical is still offered in this light version??)

the hood is attached to the front edges of the hammock and you either push/roll is down to have it open (look at the pictures of the tropical on the web site "phases" ). You will see it pushed down and see the no-see-um then pulled back up and the weathershield halfway pulled over the hammock. The "hood" has a piece of velcro at the top so it will stay up and not fall down. The edges going up to this velcro are loose. The weathershield will zip closed all the way around. What I've heard from people that have the NA, when they zip the weathershield totally closed, that they can have condensation inside the hammock while they're sleeping. I've found that because the "hood" isn't sealed, that I don't get as much condensation. It still blocks rain spray and wind when you have it up. But it's really nice in the summer, having it rolled down when I want as much ventalation as I can get while still being safe from yellow flys and skeeters. I've camped in the winter down to about 19 degrees and snow falling and not had any issues thinking that hood would not be be sealed enough. During the winter, I do wear either a wool hat or I'll stuff my jacket up in the head section of my hammock to keep my head warm. (you'll need some kind of head protector in any hammock if the temps are cold enough)

Poppabear
07-30-2010, 08:01
TinaLouise, I appreciate the timeliness of your post. My oldest daughter has been wanting a Clark. We have been undecided as to which one would work better for her. After reading your input on this thread. I believe that we will looking very seriously at the Tropical.