PDA

View Full Version : IX UQ for SS?

1Poet
07-28-2010, 23:29
I think this has already been asked, but how does the IX UQ work when used with the HH SS?:confused: It seems that, if it will nest with the pad that comes with the SS, it would provide a good amount of insulation. Will it nest? Has anyone done this and what temps did you get down to? Thanks for helping my memory lapse.:scared:

MacEntyre
07-29-2010, 07:21
I think this has already been asked, but how does the IX UQ work when used with the HH SS?:confused:
It will work very well!

TQ
you
hammock
SS OCF pad
IX UQ
SS UC

It seems that, if it will nest with the pad that comes with the SS, it would provide a good amount of insulation. Will it nest?
Yes! So will almost any UQ, if the SS OCF pad is right under the hammock. The IX UQ might nest a little better, because it is fitted just like the SS OCF pad.

Has anyone done this and what temps did you get down to?
I am the only one who has used an IX UQ in winter. Long before IX, I had a HH Expedition with SS, which worked well for me at 20*F. I am certain that an IX UQ would have helped a lot!

The only issue is the BEEP (Bottom Entry/Exit Portal). If you have no zipper mod, then you might have to be careful when you get in, to make sure everything goes back in the right place. That's why a 3/4 IX UQ might be better for a HH with BEEP. The 3/4 IX UQ will work just as well as the Universal, when nested with the SS OCF pad.

- MacEntyre

1Poet
07-29-2010, 16:31
Thanks, Mac, I knew you would have the answer.:D I got the 2QZQ Mod 3, so BE is not a prob. Get back to you soon on a IX UQ. Thanks again!:)

BillyBob58
07-29-2010, 17:18
Thanks, Mac, I knew you would have the answer.:D I got the 2QZQ Mod 3, so BE is not a prob. Get back to you soon on a IX UQ. Thanks again!:)

I have that set up. It all fits very well. You can use the IX by itself, or under the HH pad, and/or inside the UC with or without the HH pad. But there has been no way for me to test it temp wise with the SS, not cold enough since I got it.

TiredFeet
07-29-2010, 19:22

I am the only one who has used an IX UQ in winter. ...

Uhhh, Not Exactly.

TeeDee used his triple layer IX Bridge underquilt last winter down to 11°.

He said he was Toasty.

BillyBob58
07-29-2010, 19:27
Uhhh, Not Exactly.

TeeDee used his triple layer IX Bridge underquilt last winter down to 11°.

He said he was Toasty.

Right, he did. 3 layers of IX sandwiched within 2 layers of nylon, all differentially layered. But as I'm sure Mac knows of all that, I bet what he meant was using one of his(Mac's) UQs, the only commercially offered ones.

TiredFeet
07-29-2010, 19:47
Right, he did. 3 layers of IX sandwiched within 2 layers of nylon, all differentially layered. But as I'm sure Mac knows of all that, I bet what he meant was using one of his(Mac's) UQs, the only commercially offered ones.

Probably, but not what he wrote. :D

MacEntyre
07-29-2010, 20:22
Yer both correct... sorry for the confusion, and thanks for clearing it up! :cool:

- MacEntyre